Trades and Free Agent Talk - To trade or not to trade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Well if Babcock is really this obsessed with having 2 C's in the 4th line capable of taking faceoff duties...can we at least look for an upgrade over Shore at least?

Anyone know of gritty 4th line Centers who are good in the faceoffs....who might be available?

Adam Lowry? Glendenning?

Heck we shouldve signed Bryan Boyle when he was available
Glendening with 50% retention would probably be worth it. It would give us some push back on line #4 for a couple years at a fair rate. A line of Moore/Timashov - Gauthier - Glendening sounds like a really strong defensive 4th line.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Leafs - Flames
Tyson Barrie & Dymtro Tymashov
for
Travis Hamonic & Sam Bennett

Leafs - Jets
Cody Ceci & 3rd
for
Adam Lowry

Leafs - Islanders
Andreas Johnsson
for
Scott Mayfield & 3rd

Leafs - Oilers
Kasperi Kapanen & NYI 3rd
for
Adam Larsson

Lines:
Bennett - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Kerfoot - Lowry - Micheyev
Korshkov - Gauthier - Moore

Rielly - - - Hamonic
Muzzin - - Larsson
Dermott - Mayfield

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Great deal for Detroit. Nice buy low scenario. Fabbri's had some tough luck injury wise but could still carve out a career for himself

De La Rose isn't too bad himself. Nice 4th line option with key 3rd liner upside. Fabbri is kind of top 9 or bust and people passed him up in the Blues organization.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Glendening with 50% retention would probably be worth it. It would give us some push back on line #4 for a couple years at a fair rate. A line of Moore/Timashov - Gauthier - Glendening sounds like a really strong defensive 4th line.
Except Babcock would play them 18 minutes a night by overadjusting to matchups

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If Timashov is sent down or waived..I'll be pretty pissed.

One of our only gritty guys on the team. Babcock's infatuation with Shore is already pissing me off
your not alone, like the kid's game so far.

Reactions: Buds17

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Well if Babcock is really this obsessed with having 2 C's in the 4th line capable of taking faceoff duties...can we at least look for an upgrade over Shore at least?

Anyone know of gritty 4th line Centers who are good in the faceoffs....who might be available?

Adam Lowry? Glendenning?

Heck we shouldve signed Bryan Boyle when he was available
both would be a upgrade over Shore, I'd like to see the Goat stick on the 4th line, be it on the wing or in the middle.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
your not alone, like the kid's game so far.

I like Timashov's game too, but we probably have to go down to a 20 man roster. We might be able to keep 1 spare. I agree that Timashov has earned his place on the 4th line with Frederik Gauthier and Trevor Moore.

Petan is gone. That leaves Spezza and Shore. I like Timashov more than both of them, but they bring something different that is also valuable. Very few spots available, so somebody good is going to be sent down.

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Mikheyev - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Moore - Gauthier - _______

Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - Barrie
Dermott - Holl

Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I like Timashov's game too, but we probably have to go down to a 20 man roster. We might be able to keep 1 spare. I agree that Timashov has earned his place on the 4th line with Frederik Gauthier and Trevor Moore.

Petan is gone. That leaves Spezza and Shore. I like Timashov more than both of them, but they bring something different that is also valuable. Very few spots available, so somebody good is going to be sent down.

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Mikheyev - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Moore - Gauthier - _______

Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - Barrie
Dermott - Holl
ya I get the need for players who can win face offs, but Timashov is perfectly suited for the 4th line wing imo, hate to see him demoted let alone claimed off waivers which I'm sure will happen. Dubas needs to make a trade, be it small or large.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Why? What has Timashov shown to actually stay in the line-up & why can't he easily be replaced by someone like Korshkov, Aberg, Agostino?
that he can actually play at the NHL level. Korshkov, Aberg, Agostino haven't proven that yet, not saying they can't, but it's still a unknown.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Why? What has Timashov shown to actually stay in the line-up & why can't he easily be replaced by someone like Korshkov, Aberg, Agostino?

He has played well and should be in the lineup. Also, losing a 23 year old on waivers makes no sense when you can lose Spezza or Shore and who really cares.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
He has played well and should be in the lineup. Also, losing a 23 year old on waivers makes no sense when you can lose Spezza or Shore and who really cares.

Shore is just 26 years old, and more versatile than Timashov... just playing devil's advocate.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
that he can actually play at the NHL level. Korshkov, Aberg, Agostino haven't proven that yet, not saying they can't, but it's still a unknown.

Agostino is proven at the NHL level and really should be up with the Leafs. He has as much feistiness, size and skill then someone like Timashov. And has proven to be an above average scorer in the AHL. I have said this since we signed him that he would have been the perfect winger on the left for Matthews. His game is similar to Hymans but more skill. He's not going to fight but he is good along the boards and can finish with more size the Johnsson.

Would create way more space for Matthews then Johnsson does. I just don't get the Leafs.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Agostino is proven at the NHL level and really should be up with the Leafs. He has as much feistiness, size and skill then someone like Timashov. And has proven to be an above average scorer in the AHL. I have said this since we signed him that he would have been the perfect winger on the left for Matthews. His game is similar to Hymans but more skill. He's not going to fight but he is good along the boards and can finish with more size the Johnsson.

Would create way more space for Matthews then Johnsson does. I just don't get the Leafs.
there would appear to plenty of depth up front why not convert one of Nylander, or Johnsson into iproving the D? Hell I'd entertain moving Marner if it fixed the D.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I think before you entertain trading a player like Marner or Nylander. Players like Johnsson, Hyman, and Kapanen need to be peddled to create some cap space and better the team.

Players like Timashov, Micheyev, Agostino, Aberg, heck even Petan can provide what Johnsson and Kapanen do at a fraction of the price. Place those players with stars like Tavares, Marner, Matthews and Nylander see what they do.

Getting rid of Hyman, Kapanen and Johnsson can free up 7-10 million in cap space. Throw someone in like Ceci in one of the trades for an upgrade on D at a cheaper contract, you can free up even more.

The players I mentioned are expendable. I will argue that Hyman is probably the only one I would be hesitant to move because of the intangibles he brings to each and every game. But Johnsson and Kapanen are expendable.

Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think before you entertain trading a player like Marner or Nylander. Players like Johnsson, Hyman, and Kapanen need to be peddled to create some cap space and better the team.

Players like Timashov, Micheyev, Agostino, Aberg, heck even Petan can provide what Johnsson and Kapanen do at a fraction of the price. Place those players with stars like Tavares, Marner, Matthews and Nylander see what they do.

Getting rid of Hyman, Kapanen and Johnsson can free up 7-10 million in cap space. Throw someone in like Ceci in one of the trades for an upgrade on D at a cheaper contract, you can free up even more.

The players I mentioned are expendable. I will argue that Hyman is probably the only one I would be hesitant to move because of the intangibles he brings to each and every game. But Johnsson and Kapanen are expendable.
I'd be onboard with this, but would like to retain Kappy, guy does allot of things well imo.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I'd be onboard with this, but would like to retain Kappy, guy does allot of things well imo.

I think a player like Johnsson packaged with Ceci can acquire you a very good defenseman in return. Columbus needs scoring, trade them there in a blockbuster, add another prospect and pick. Acquire Anderson and Savard.

Johnsson, Ceci, prospect, 3rd Round Pick

for

Anderson, Savard

Does this work? What prospect would we have to give up to balance trade? Thoughts?

My lines would be:

Anderson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Micheyev-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Moore-Gauthier-Shore/Timashov

Reilly-Savard
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Holl

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think a player like Johnsson packaged with Ceci can acquire you a very good defenseman in return. Columbus needs scoring, trade them there in a blockbuster, add another prospect and pick. Acquire Anderson and Savard.

for

Anderson, Savard

Does this work? What prospect would we have to give up to balance trade? Thoughts?

My lines would be:

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Micheyev-Kerfoot-Kapanen

Reilly-Savard
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Holl
Not sure if BJ’s go for that, Nylander gets you the best D man, I’d be willing to lose his offense for a real good stay at home D man.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016

for

Anderson, Savard

My lines would be:

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Micheyev-Kerfoot-Kapanen

Reilly-Savard
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Holl

Not a chance Columbus does that

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

I am not so sure. AJ and Kappy scored 20 last year. Willie and Mitch may not get to 20 this year.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

for

Anderson, Savard

My lines would be:

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Micheyev-Kerfoot-Kapanen

Reilly-Savard
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Holl

As others have said - you're adding significantly to get them to bite on a significant downgrade to Ceci from Savard, and arguably on somewhat of a downgrade of Johnsson for Anderson. A 3rd isn't sufficient, so IMO we're looking at one of Sandin or Lilly to get them to bite on that.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
don't think they'd move Anderson
Foligno would be a great add for leafs if they'd retain. Really add that veteran and physical presence upfront. need a guy like that going against bruins and in playoffs in general
Jackets would have to be in rebuild/retool mode. Wanting futures for youth and picks

Reactions: ACC1224

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I can see that the trade proposal trend of trying to get a good, top 4 defender for a couple middling assets from the middle of our lineup is still alive and well. A 3rd as a sweetner doesn't add much incentive for the other team as well, and dangling Barrie as trade bait at this point seems like an unlikely long shot. At least we are consistent.

I think we will lose some 4th liners & tweeners in the near future. I think they were added in the summer to get us close to the cap ceiling and that the idea that they would get cut once some of regulars returned from injury was the strategy all along.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I can see that the trade proposal trend of trying to get a good, top 4 defender for a couple middling assets from the middle of our lineup is still alive and well. A 3rd as a sweetner doesn't add much incentive for the other team as well, and dangling Barrie as trade bait at this point seems like an unlikely long shot. At least we are consistent.

I think we will lose some 4th liners & tweeners in the near future. I think they were added in the summer to get us close to the cap ceiling and that the idea that they would get cut once some of regulars returned from injury was the strategy all along.

The only Barrie trade on the last two pages is for Hamonic, a guy having a bad season, who is also a UFA, and unlikely to resign with the Flames, so it actually has some merits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad