Trades and Free Agent Talk -- Look for smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I agree on Georgiev

If we could get a better defenseman than Pesce (contract, age, playstyle etc) - I am all about it.

Johnsson for Larsson works for me. I think both organizations wouldn't mind shuffling these 2 assets to see if there is a better fit.

I don't like Larsson at all and don't think he's much better than Ceci... so I'm personally not a fan of it at all and I doubt Dubas is either.

Reactions: stickty111

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't like Larsson at all and don't think he's much better than Ceci... so I'm personally not a fan of it at all and I doubt Dubas is either.

I think he takes a lot of heat due to playing a lot of tough minutes on a squad that isn't that great defensively or even very deep.

He could do the Hainsey impression for Rielly, a little younger too which helps.

I don't think this is Plan A for Dubas, it might not even be plan B or C lol.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'd say from a value standpoint;

Rielly>Pesce
TT>Kapanen
Johnsson - Necas....I know the potential/hope with Necas is pretty high? Definitely performing better than Johnsson this year.

I would say that is a fairly easy pass for Carolina.

Definitely. He's still pretty raw, but he just turned 21 and the strides in his development have been remarkable. He's blazing fast, but still has incredible skill to make high skill plays at speed. He's still a lightweight and gets knocked off the puck too easily and still learning the defensive side of things, but he brings an element to Carolina that they just don't have with his speed and ability to make plays at speed (and he shows good hockey sense). Clearly development isn't always linear, but most Canes fans can't wait to see him put on a little weight/strength. The Canes also envision him at C long term. On top of that, he's the only RH shot on Carolina at forward, other than recently signed Justin Williams.

I know it's cliche, but I think it would take an "offer they can't refuse" to get Carolina to part with Necas right now.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think he takes a lot of heat due to playing a lot of tough minutes on a squad that isn't that great defensively or even very deep.

He could do the Hainsey impression for Rielly, a little younger too which helps.

I don't think this is Plan A for Dubas, it might not even be plan B or C lol.

Or he plays exactly how he always has... as a passable middle pairing defenseman (at best) that struggles to handle tough minutes while coaches keep feeding him tough minutes. Similar to Ceci.

They already tried that "Maybe he needs to get away from a bad team?" with Ceci and I don't think it's just a matter of system or team. Larsson just isn't that good.

I think the Leafs are a lot higher on Johnsson than people think.

Last edited:

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Or he plays exactly how he always has... as a passable middle pairing defenseman (at best) that struggles to handle tough minutes while coaches keep feeding him tough minutes. Similar to Ceci.

They already tried that "Maybe he needs to get away from a bad team?" with Ceci and I don't think it's just a matter of system or team. Larsson just isn't that good.

They also have D in the AHL that seem ready to step up
I made my point earlier that their deadline move was trading a 1st to move Marleau. At that point Dubas was betting on the depth of their system. Now we see if he made the right bet or not

I think we'll see them make lesser cost moves, back up goalie, a heavy forward and maybe a vet 7th dman

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I don't personally doubt that the Leafs are high on Johnsson, but something will have to give if we're going to get a defenseman upgrade. It seems like almost a formality that one of Kapanen or Johnsson would need to be involved, for value and for cap, and between the two I think there is a strong argument to be made as to why we'd prefer to keep Kapanen.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Or he plays exactly how he always has... as a passable middle pairing defenseman (at best) that can't handle tough minutes while coaches keep feeding trying to feed him tough minutes and then find out he can't.

I only saw game 1 of this year with Edmonton & I think Larsson got injured but he was mostly unnoticeable in a good way up until he left the game.

The last stretch of significant time I saw with Edmonton was probably the good playoff run they had and I felt he was arguably their best defenseman with the eye test. It was much easier to catch Western games when I was on night shift.

Lots of time in between that though that I haven't seen him.

I think no matter what, it seems like the Leafs are working in the background working on acquiring a defenseman.

Reactions: SprDaVE

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I'd be pretty embarrassed to be Dave Poulin after last night trying to put Sandin as a trade chip for the Leafs to get a "top 4" defenseman.

I shouldn't be surprised Dave Poulin only envisioning GMs doing dumb things though.
There's a few guys I'd label as worth trading Sandin for, but none are likely available unless Seth Jones demands a trade all of a sudden

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Larson gets a raw deal because of whom he was dealt for in Hall. Had Hall done nothing spectacular in NJ and won the league MVP Larson wouldn't have all these nay sayers.

Larson on the Leafs would be better then both Ceci and Dermott whom are in the top 6 currently. To me that is an upgrade and instantly becomes Reilly's long term partner.

If there is a deal to be made between Toronto and Edmonton it should be completed immediately.

Johnsson+ should be the price for Larson. And the plus really shouldn't be much. Unless you include Dermott in a larger deal with them. In turn peddle Ceci for a big 3rd or 4th line grinder that can hit with speed and can PK.

Reilly-Larson
Muzzin-Barrie
Sandin-Holl

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Larson gets a raw deal because of whom he was dealt for in Hall. Had Hall done nothing spectacular in NJ and won the league MVP Larson wouldn't have all these nay sayers.

Larson on the Leafs would be better then both Ceci and Dermott whom are in the top 6 currently. To me that is an upgrade and instantly becomes Reilly's long term partner.

If there is a deal to be made between Toronto and Edmonton it should be completed immediately.

Johnsson+ should be the price for Larson. And the plus really shouldn't be much. In turn peddle Ceci for a big 3rd or 4th line grinder that can hit with speed.
Uhh no thats terrible logic. Larsson is really bad

Reactions: 43Kadri43

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Leafs are more deep on LW than RW tbh

Hyman can play both wings

Engvall can play both wings

Soup can play both wings

Johnsson strictly LW
Kapanen strictly RW
Kerfoot can play LW
Nylander better at RW
Marner strictly RW
Moore both wings

Some flexibility there

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I mean, I'm certainly weighing this season disproportionately for Murphy, but even if we assume his offensive game didn't blossom (in terms of generating team chances while on the ice), and that this is simply a fluke year, he's essentially Manson (with respect to defensive outcome) anyway.

I actually really like Manson, despite some less than flattering comments from others in this thread. He's exceptional defensively (even this year), and he faces difficult competition while receiving minimal offensive zone starts. My contention is that Murphy, similarly, faces exceptionally difficult usage, and has performed very well both offensively and defensively (while Manson is essentially an offensive black hole).

I guess it depends on what one believes the Leafs need. I want a defenseman who drives play at even-strength, and limits chances against. I don't believe the Leafs are in need of a high-scoring defenseman (or one that is even capable of it, frankly), but they do need a defenseman who can transition the puck up the ice; Murphy does that better than Manson.

I have absolutely no interest in Dumba. Maybe he finds his game again, but even if he does, he's not the type of defenseman the Leafs should be interested in. If he doesn't? He'll make Ceci look good.

The biggest difference between Murphy and Manson is that the Hawks aren't inches away from a blowup rebuild. It would be worth a hard look if both clubs were in the same spot but Chicago has core players that are young enough for a retool. He is exactly the right age to retain and is on a solid deal. I can only imagine how badly you would get scalped on a deal for him. Agree about Dumba. They don't need to add guys who don't play better in their own end than the ones they have.

Reactions: Duffman955

horner

May 22, 2007
Sandin us good enough to take Barrie s place on the #1pp unit.

His shot always seems to get through.
His awareness on the ice is incredible.
He is better defensively than Barrie.

I would love to trade him for assets .
Then trade ethose assets + Johnson
For a veteran dman to play with him.

Barrie keeps making plays in the dzone that leave your head scratching. His awareness on the ice is non existent.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I only consider trading Barrie for an upgrade or if we are out of it come the deadline. Otherwise you keep him.

Also lets stop annointing Sandin after 10 games. He's still a rookie.

But it's so tempting.

Seriously though if there is enough belief in Sandin and it looks like they can re-sign Muzzin to a reasonable deal, I would have no issues dangling Dermott, especially if pairing him with Kapanen would put things over the top for a tremendous RHD.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
LeBrun: Where all 31 teams stand one month before the trade...

Toronto Maple Leafs

The long-term injury to top defenceman Morgan Rielly was a gut punch for the Leafs. They had played to their strengths under new coach Sheldon Keefe but also show vulnerability defensively from time to time and it’s worse without Rielly and Jake Muzzin in the lineup. The latter should be back at some point soon after the break. But life without minute-munching Rielly could still prove to be rather difficult.

Obviously they need better goaltending from Frederik Andersen after the break and I think they’ll get that. The question is whether the Leafs decide to go after some backup goaltender insurance (the Rangers’ Georgiev will probably cost more than the Leafs are willing to pay) as well as go out and add some blue line help — all the while with very little cap room to maneuver with. I asked one rival Eastern Conference team executive what he would do if he were Toronto and he said he wouldn’t wait on the defensive front.

“I would get out in front of it and target the top 1-3 guys you wanted and get aggressive to acquire one/some of them,’’ said the team exec. “Brian Burke and Jim Rutherford always liked to do their deals way before the deadline which I think is smart. It gives you a better chance to control the deal and negotiate the terms with time as an advantage not a disadvantage.”

That’s exactly what Leafs GM Kyle Dubas did a year ago when he acquired Muzzin on Jan. 28. I wonder if going back to the Kings and inquiring about Alec Martinez wouldn’t make sense for Dubas. As of Thursday morning, I don’t believe the Leafs had shown any interest in Martinez yet. He’s not a rental so you wouldn’t be adding to your UFA blue line headache for this summer. What about Matt Dumba? That’s a bigger deal, it would probably cost the Leafs at least Kasperi Kapanen plus another asset. Dumba is 25 and signed at a $6-million cap hit for another three years past this season. Or does Toronto re-engage with Calgary after the failed Nazem Kadri trade last summer? T.J. Brodie (pending UFA) was the D the Leafs were targeting in that deal (I should note that the Leafs are still on Brodie’s eight-team no-trade list, although it doesn’t mean he can’t waive it). What about Josh Manson? He’s got two more years on his deal at a $4.1 million cap hit after this season and a modified no-trade clause but if I’m Dubas I would at least inquire to see what kind of hockey deal it would take to get Anaheim at least listening.

There are options out there for the Leafs on the D market but the good ones won’t come cheap. I don’t think Dubas wants to trade Kapanen, at least not this season, but as our Leafs columnist James Mirtle pointed out, teams are likely going to call on Kapanen.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Johnsson+ should be the price for Larson. And the plus really shouldn't be much. Unless you include Dermott in a larger deal with them. In turn peddle Ceci for a big 3rd or 4th line grinder that can hit with speed and can PK.

Reilly-Larson
Muzzin-Barrie
Sandin-Holl

Larsson has allowed 3 (I checked before last game, might be off) less goals than Ceci in 20+ less games this year, and that's with Ceci playing more minutes per game against tougher opponents. The only thing Larsson does well is that he hits a lot. He isn't good defensively, never has been.

Reactions: MyBudJT

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Larsson has allowed 3 (I checked before last game, might be off) less goals than Ceci in 20+ less games this year, and that's with Ceci playing more minutes per game against tougher opponents. The only thing Larsson does well is that he hits a lot. He isn't good defensively, never has been.

Ceci is by far the most underrated player on our team, now that Engvall is getting more recognition.

Reactions: HNation67 and OVO16

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Johnsson, Dermott, Bracco and 3rd

for

Nurse, Pulijarvi, 2nd

Half of the Oilers forwards are UFA this summer.

Is there some way to get Bouchard?

Johnsson, Barrie/Dermott, Timashov, Bracco
for
Larsson, Bouchard, Puljujarvi

I would not pencil Bouchard into this year's line-up.

This year
Rielly-Larsson
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Ceci
Dermott/Barrie
Marincin

-- Sandin for PP1, until it doesn't work.

Next year

Rielly-Larsson
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Liljegren
Dermott/Marincin

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
Unless muzzin is willing to take 5 mil x 3 yrs or something close why overpay when we have rielly sandin and Dermott ready. Only way I see it is if Dermott moves to RD or gets traded.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Larsson would be a good get. Paired next to Reilly or Sandin would be great. He won't cost a ton in assets and is better then what he has shown in Edmonton.
Reilly Larsson
Muzzin Liljegren
Sandin Holl

Or

Sandin Larsson
Reilly Holl
Muzzin Liljegren

Looks good to me

Trading Dermott and Ceci and adding Larsson immediately helps this d-core

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.