Trades and Free Agent Talk -- Look for smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
There is zero chance the Leafs sell Barrie for futures.

Theyll dumb Ceci for Liljegren if anything

Ideally Ceci to somebody for a mid-round pick or higher if we get lucky.

Get a backup goalie for a late round pick. Howard type veteran backup with an expiring contract.

Move some pieces around if need be to fill out the roster. Guys like Timashov/Gauthier/ Bracco/Petan/Harpur etc..

Honestly if we can't keep our forwards healthy I would be fine with running 7 defensemen in Rielly/Muzzin/Holl/Barrie/Dermott/Sandin/Liljegren.

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
Theres gonna be a lot competition for he's services in the summer and I Really hope Leafs are on it. Hes wreckin KHL and hes by far best D on Finland national team (excluding NHL D's). Id say hes rich version of Kivihalme.

Mikko Lehtonen

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I get the complaints about his game, but if people think we can trade him for anything and the team will improve, they are in for a surprise.

Barrie used in an offensive sheltered role is a really good player. He was pretty much that in Colorado.

D-men in Toronto are watched under a microscope sometimes
There were more than a few complaining about Muzzin

Reactions: stickty111

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Theres gonna be a lot competition for he's services in the summer and I Really hope Leafs are on it. Hes wreckin KHL and hes by far best D on Finland national team (excluding NHL D's). Id say hes rich version of Kivihalme.

Mikko Lehtonen

He has an extra year on his deal (with no indication of an NHL-out clause) and if he comes over, it'll be to play in the NHL right away. The Leafs can't offer him that.

I would say Julius Nattinen is a better bet for the Leafs.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
To Toronto-
Pesce
Teravainen
Necas

To Carolina-
Rielly
Kapanen
Johnson

Off Season sign Pietrangelo 7x9
Resign Muzzin 4x5.5

Sandin-Pietrangelo (Sandin learns from a solid all around pro)
Muzzin-Pesce (Shutdown pair)
Dermott-Liljegren ( Young solid all around bottom pair)

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Teravainen-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Necas
Moore-Goat/Brooks-Engvall

Reactions: Al14

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
This is unlikely... it’s more likely that Barrie will cost us the playoffs than aid is in the playoffs.

No it isn't. Barrie is below average defensively, but he's also highly skilled offensively and has shown the ability to raise his game notably down the stretch and into the playoffs. Him "costing us the playoffs" is not a more likely scenario

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
To Toronto-
Pesce
Teravainen
Necas

To Carolina-
Rielly
Kapanen
Johnson

Off Season sign Pietrangelo 7x9
Resign Muzzin 4x5.5

Sandin-Pietrangelo (Sandin learns from a solid all around pro)
Muzzin-Pesce (Shutdown pair)
Dermott-Liljegren ( Young solid all around bottom pair)

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Teravainen-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Necas
Moore-Goat/Brooks-Engvall

I can't see Carolina letting go of the highest scoring winger in this trade, nor letting Pesce go after just losing Hamilton to a broken leg. TVR would be their first pair RD.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd be pretty embarrassed to be Dave Poulin after last night trying to put Sandin as a trade chip for the Leafs to get a "top 4" defenseman.

I shouldn't be surprised Dave Poulin only envisioning GMs doing dumb things though.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'd be pretty embarrassed to be Dave Poulin after last night trying to put Sandin as a trade chip for the Leafs to get a "top 4" defenseman.

I shouldn't be surprised Dave Poulin only envisioning GMs doing dumb things though.

Wait, what?

What did he say?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Wait, what?

What did he say?

Suggested that the Leafs may have to part with Rasmus Sandin to get a top 4 defenseman, and essentially implied they should.

"If I'm a team calling the Leafs... I want Sandin in the deal!"

Bob McKenzie basically smirked at the notion and shot it down completely, saying that Sandin, Robertson and Liljegren are as close to untouchable as you can get. (Paraphrasing)

Mirtle tweeted this soon after:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'd be pretty embarrassed to be Dave Poulin after last night trying to put Sandin as a trade chip for the Leafs. I shouldn't be surprised Dave Poulin only envisioning GMs doing dumb things though.
Why would it be dumb for GM's to try and obtain Sandin?
Maybe I didn't hear him correctly but I don't think he said Dubas would make him available.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Suggested that the Leafs may have to part with Rasmus Sandin to get a top 4 defenseman, and essentially implied they should.

Bob McKenzie basically smirked at the notion and shot it down completely, saying that Sandin, Robertson and Liljegren are as close to untouchable as you can get. (Paraphrasing)

:laugh: Wow Poulin is a moron.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Maybe I didn't hear him correctly but I don't think he said Dubas would make him available.

It's pretty a moronic thing to say as a NHL analyst. There are so many ways to add a defenseman without adding your blue chip prospect. Suggesting that's probably the only way to add to a team is pretty dumb.

He didn't even suggest that Sandin is or should be untouchable as any sane analyst would, just implying that he should be traded for a "top 4 defenseman" because opposing teams would "demand" he's to be added to a trade... I can see why he's not part of a front office anymore.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's pretty a moronic thing to say as a NHL analyst. There are so many ways to add a defenseman without adding your blue chip prospect. Suggesting that's probably the only way to add to a team is pretty dumb.

He didn't even suggest that Sandin is or should be untouchable as any sane analyst would, just implying that he should be traded for a "top 4 defenseman" because opposing teams would "demand" he's to be added to a trade... I can see why he's not part of a front office anymore.
I didn't hear that, probably changed the channel by then.
I heard him say something about 'other teams would ask for him" which seems kind of obvious.

Read in another thread that Poulin said "they should trade Sandin".
Pretty funny how this broken telephone works.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Yes, I think he was suggesting a rival GM would recognize how good of an asset Sandin would be.

The unknown is if Poulin would be a GM that would trade Sandin?

Bobo was just, figuratively, rolling his eyes that the Leafs would entertain that.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I didn't hear that, probably changed the channel by then.
I heard him say something about 'other teams would ask for him" which seems kind of obvious.

Read in another thread that Poulin said "they should trade Sandin".
Pretty funny how this broken telephone works.

"It's going to be hard to add because [other teams] are gonna ask for the best piece available" in regards to the Leafs and having to likely include Sandin as trade piece.

The connotation is on the Leafs having to include him because other teams will want Sandin included. It's not how it works and certainly won't happen. You can take that segment how you want but there was a clear insinuation that the Leafs really wouldn't have much of a choice even if they don't want to.

McKenzie pretty much cut him off because he knew where it was going and he knew it's definitely not an avenue the Leafs will ever entertain for obvious reasons.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I've been waiting for this article since it was mentioned by Custance. Super cool to get the perspective of an NHL exec on fan related proposals.

Who says no? NHL executives evaluate your trade proposals

One Leafs related snippet:

6. The New York Rangers send goalie Alexandar Georgiev and a third-round pick to Toronto for Kasperi Kapanen and a second-round pick
– @JustLouG

As James Mirtle has reported, the Maple Leafs have inquired about Georgiev. He makes a ton of sense for them. But if you’re trading Kapanen, you might want to get a defenseman back instead of a backup goalie.

Exec: “Toronto says no. I don’t know why people think the Rangers are going to get a massive windfall for Georgiev. He has mediocre numbers, a mediocre record, and having three goalies erodes any leverage they have.”

There's 2 other snippets mentioning the Leafs. One trade proposal was Nylander for Pesce and the exec said the Leafs say no because they would want someone better than Pesce.

The other one was basically A. Larsson and a 3rd for Johnsson and Bracco, where the exec said it was pretty fair. You can strip it down to Larsson for Johnsson as the basis and it works well for Edmonton. It depends on how much they like Bracco for a pick.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
No chance Carolina does that.

I'd say from a value standpoint;

Rielly>Pesce
TT>Kapanen
Johnsson - Necas....I know the potential/hope with Necas is pretty high? Definitely performing better than Johnsson this year.

I would say that is a fairly easy pass for Carolina.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I've been waiting for this article since it was mentioned by Custance. Super cool to get the perspective of an NHL exec on fan related proposals.

Who says no? NHL executives evaluate your trade proposals

One Leafs related snippet:

6. The New York Rangers send goalie Alexandar Georgiev and a third-round pick to Toronto for Kasperi Kapanen and a second-round pick
– @JustLouG

As James Mirtle has reported, the Maple Leafs have inquired about Georgiev. He makes a ton of sense for them. But if you’re trading Kapanen, you might want to get a defenseman back instead of a backup goalie.

Exec: “Toronto says no. I don’t know why people think the Rangers are going to get a massive windfall for Georgiev. He has mediocre numbers, a mediocre record, and having three goalies erodes any leverage they have.”

There's 2 other snippets mentioning the Leafs. One trade proposal was Nylander for Pesce and the exec said the Leafs say no because they would want someone better than Pesce.

The other one was basically A. Larsson and a 3rd for Johnsson and Bracco, where the exec said it was pretty fair. You can strip it down to Larsson for Johnsson as the basis and it works well for Edmonton. It depends on how much they like Bracco for a pick.

I agree on Georgiev

If we could get a better defenseman than Pesce (contract, age, playstyle etc) - I am all about it.

Johnsson for Larsson works for me. I think both organizations wouldn't mind shuffling these 2 assets to see if there is a better fit.

If Soup comes back close to the playoffs..

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Soup-JT-88
Engvall-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Timashov-Spezza-Moore

Rielly-Larsson
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Dermott?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Johnsson for Larsson would definitely be interesting. Larsson does seem to have a lot of qualities our D is lighter on.

And I cannot agree more on Georgiev. I've been saying the same thing to many people. At best, he's worth a mid-late draft pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad