Trades and Free Agent Talk -- Insert witty title here

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Continue here.

I'd be willing to bet the Leafs are going to make a move in the next week or two, maybe just a simple promotion/demotion kind of thing. Not sure Hutchinson will survive much longer.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Continue here.

I'd be willing to bet the Leafs are going to make a move in the next week or two, maybe just a simple promotion/demotion kind of thing. Not sure Hutchinson will survive much longer.

Is there any harm in trying out Kaskisuo at this point?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Not sure he'll do better in the back up role here but it's worth a shot. He's one of the better 3rd string goaltenders out there at this time.

I don't see many, if any, options out there that makes sense. Eric Comrie was interesting but he's been terrible with every NHL shot he's had and has been injured almost the entire season.

I would take a stab at someone like Jon Gillies from the Flames org if we're looking at interesting cheap options. Send them a Petan or a Marincin or whatever they'd want out of the similar players.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Probably need to address the back up situation heading into this 12-15 game stretch, back to backs and tough teams.

On the one hand I have a bunch of ideas on how to improve the team *right now* but if we get demolished in the next stretch, we could be on the outside of the playoffs looking in.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Not sure he'll do better in the back up role here but it's worth a shot. He's one of the better 3rd string goaltenders out there at this time.

I don't see many, if any, options out there that makes sense. Eric Comrie was interesting but he's been terrible with every NHL shot he's had and has been injured almost the entire season.

We just need lightning in a bottle. 5 games is not a huge sample size and he was still able to win a couple of those games.

At this point anything is better than what Hutch has been putting together, so if it comes for free or for contracts like Petan, we should be doing it.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Dubas has built the titanic and some think he can fix it by trading Ceci, Bracco, and AJ or Kappy. Shuffling the backup with garbage because anyhing us better than hutch isn't going to stop the ship from sinking. Sorry.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Fixing the d is a step to fix the backup. We still need depth in goal. Get to it dubas.

The defense is not amazing right now but I do not think we are at the point where a move is the best choice. The last thing this defense needs is more adjustment to new personnel and gelling. Getting a backup is a minor move that is simple and quick without sending too many ripples through the locker room, but could pay some pretty big dividends.

The first "ripple" move that should be made, if it gets to the point where it is necessary to make one, is axing Babcock. If I am Dubas, I am not spending another asset for a guy who is making a team that should be a Stanley Cup Contender under any competent coach look like a bubble team at best right now. I mean is it even reasonable to expect the team to improve on the ice if we make another move where the team gets better on paper?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Dubas has built the titanic and some think he can fix it by trading Ceci, Bracco, and AJ or Kappy. Shuffling the backup with garbage because anyhing us better than hutch isn't going to stop the ship from sinking. Sorry.

So then we fire Babcock or hope he improves.

The chances the Leafs make a deal more significant than acquiring a better backup before firing Babcock are the same chances an amazing deal just falls into our laps.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
barrie isn't putting up stats (i know, i own him in fantasy) but his advance stats are really strong . maybe a good time to resign him rather than dump him

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

upload_2019-11-11_9-28-43.jpeg

Reactions: ToneDog

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think a few things are working against us

• The recent Marner injury
  • Barrie hasn't panned out, although I will say it seems Babcock is trying to make him something he isn't
  • Hutchinson hasn't been remotely close to being "acceptable" as an NHL back up
  • Ceci is an awful fit with Rielly (the experiment should end)
  • Almost no toughness to speak of
Some of these, we can't do anything about like the Marner injury.

Barrie could maybe get back on track with PP1 minutes and I think that might benefit Rielly too by lowering his minutes. He's been hurt since first game against Boston

Hutchinson....maybe try Kaskisuo or go external

Ceci hasn't worked, likely need to swap him out and bring in something else (I've famously suggested moving Ceci out to bring Pysyk in)

The toughness I doubt gets addressed just because of Dubas' philosophy in how he runs a team.

This doesn't include the lack of effort on a night to night basis which is a combination of the players needing to be more accountable and maybe our coaching going stale.

In conclusion; there are multiple issues here that I am not sure can be addressed super quickly.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I don't know how much confidence I could have in a (thankfully, backup) goalie with no NHL experience, particularly considering the hopes for the team. With the cap situation being what it is though, options are limited. Getting one point out of a possible ten with the backup in net so far is rough.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I think a few things are working against us

• The recent Marner injury
  • Barrie hasn't panned out, although I will say it seems Babcock is trying to make him something he isn't
  • Hutchinson hasn't been remotely close to being "acceptable" as an NHL back up
  • Ceci is an awful fit with Rielly (the experiment should end)
  • Almost no toughness to speak of
Some of these, we can't do anything about like the Marner injury.

Barrie could maybe get back on track with PP1 minutes and I think that might benefit Rielly too by lowering his minutes. He's been hurt since first game against Boston

Hutchinson....maybe try Kaskisuo or go external

Ceci hasn't worked, likely need to swap him out and bring in something else (I've famously suggested moving Ceci out to bring Pysyk in)

The toughness I doubt gets addressed just because of Dubas' philosophy in how he runs a team.

This doesn't include the lack of effort on a night to night basis which is a combination of the players needing to be more accountable and maybe our coaching going stale.

In conclusion; there are multiple issues here that I am not sure can be addressed super quickly.
Yes, the Ceci/Rielly experiment must end. It's killing Ceci's numbers.

Just for the record....5v5/60

Rielly with Ceci: 2.46
Rielly without Ceci: 5.63
Ceci without Rielly: 1.69

The PK (GA/60)

PK with Rielly: 13.74
PK without Rielly: 2.78

Basically Rielly is dragging down Ceci horribly defensively this season. And it shows that Rielly needs to not touch the ice again during the PK.

Why do people want to trade Ceci again?

Reactions: moon111

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

The PK (GA/60)

Basically Rielly is dragging down Ceci horribly defensively this season. And it shows that Rielly needs to not touch the ice again during the PK.

We watched him play.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

The PK (GA/60)

I don't understand the Ceci hate either. He does have some lapses in judgement resulting in goals, but so do most defenders.

Ceci has been the least of our issues on the back-end, IMO.

Edit: We need to trade Barrie + for a defensively responsible top 4 RHD who can PK...

Rielly-RHD
Muzzin-Ceci
Dermott-Holl

That would be solid, IMO.

Reactions: kb

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don't understand the Ceci hate either. He does have some lapses in judgement resulting in goals, but so do most defenders.

Ceci has been the least of our issues on the back-end, IMO.

Edit: We need to trade Barrie + for a defensively responsible top 4 RHD who can PK...

Rielly-RHD
Muzzin-Ceci
Dermott-Holl

That would be solid, IMO.
the main problem with Ceci is he makes 4.5 mil, and is a bottom six D man. He's not capable of being a first pairing D man, and has not meshed with Morgan. Playing in the bottom pair would immensely help his game, but those spots are for 700K D man on Dubas' team.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
the main problem with Ceci is he makes 4.5 mil, and is a bottom six D man. He's not capable of being a first pairing D man, and has not meshed with Morgan. Playing in the bottom pair would immensely help his game, but those spots are for 700K D man on Dubas' team.

I disagree. Ceci has been playing like a good 2nd pairing guy, IMO.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
contrary to public perception within these forums there's nothing wrong with differing opinion. :thumbu:

This is true! ;)

Reason I think Ceci has been playing more like a 2nd pair guy is because he's been handling difficult minutes very well. Holl and Dermott are much more sheltered in comparison to Ceci. Ceci eats up a lot of defensive zone starts and against difficult QoC... or at least, thats what I'm seeing when I pay attention to the game...

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
This is true! ;)

Reason I think Ceci has been playing more like a 2nd pair guy is because he's been handling difficult minutes very well. Holl and Dermott are much more sheltered in comparison to Ceci. Ceci eats up a lot of defensive zone starts and against difficult QoC... or at least, thats what I'm seeing when I pay attention to the game...
hard to excel when you put in a position above your ability level, my opinion not yours.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
contrary to public perception within these forums there's nothing wrong with differing opinion. :thumbu:

Some people on here are really great at explaining how/why they drew up their conclusions which is great and definitely opens you up to new ideas.

I lose interest when it's all GFx etc because it tells me they've simply looking up a stats site or f***ed with formulas in excel. I want to know the person I am with is watching the game and knows something about hockey. I don't mind data to support what we're seeing.

Example, right now I think Barrie has like 2nd worst game score on our team after Marincin which kind of matches up with the eye test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad