Trades and Free Agency - 2022-23 Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nylander was 2-3ish years younger and played on a far weaker team when he put up the points.

Overall, the Robertson contract is fine. It's missing some term but the cap hit is more than fair.
Thanks, didn't realize Robertson was that old

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Wondering if Robertson's agent wants to reup after the massive cap rise in 3-4 years.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Considering the lower cost of living in Texas and lower taxes, Robertson's contract probably translates to something in the mid 8's to high 8's in Toronto.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Nylander was 2ish years younger and played on a far weaker team when he put up the points.

Overall, the Robertson contract is fine. It's missing some term but the cap hit is more than fair.

Nylander signed his deal at about 22 years, 7 months old. Robertson has signed his deal at about 23 years, 3 months old. A difference of 5 months in age.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Bunting is a pretty good complimentary player, but Robertson, Knies, Amirov, Holmberg, Voit and Hirvonen all play LW. When you have that much depth at a position, in a cap structure, you don't tie that much money to a complimentary guy.

You named 6 dudes that haven't played 50 games combined in the NHL

Voit was our first cut.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nylander signed his deal at about 22 years, 7 months old. Robertson has signed his deal at about 23 years, 3 months old. A difference of 5 months in age.
Didn't Robertson outscore him as well?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Thanks for checking this. I thought it didn't make sense given i remember Robertson turning 23 recently

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Thanks for checking this. I thought it didn't make sense given i remember Robertson turning 23 recently

I tried to do math before my 2nd cup of coffee.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Seems rich and not enough term, he's only had 1 great season.

Unless it's to protect the Stars in case there is decline too.

He had 45 points in 51 games and then 79 in 74 with 40 goals

Hes also signed to only one year less then AM

He's at a minimum between nylander and AM as a player and will likely be close to being as good as AM will.

This is a great deal

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You named 6 dudes that haven't played 50 games combined in the NHL

Voit was our first cut.

..and Bunting had 26 NHL games before last year.

Robertson will have more than that easily before the end of the year, and the rest we shall see how their years go. Point is, when you have that kind of depth, you wait and see, before you commit big dollars, to a position you can back fill with ELC's.

Wondering if Robertson's agent wants to reup after the massive cap rise in 3-4 years.

A bit of that, but I think mostly there just isn't cap room for Robertson to go higher now, and Robertson's contract expires a year after Benn's and his $9.5 million... so at expiry. Dallas will have a ton of dough to give Robertson a bigger contract, should he deserve it.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
..and Bunting had 26 NHL games before last year.

Robertson will have more than that easily before the end of the year, and the rest we shall see how their years go. Point is, when you have that kind of depth, you wait and see, before you commit big dollars, to a position you can back fill with ELC's.

A bit of that, but I think mostly there just isn't cap room for Robertson to go higher now, and Robertson's contract expires a year after Benn's and his $9.5 million... so at expiry. Dallas will have a ton of dough to give Robertson a bigger contract, should he deserve it.

If we had that much organizational LW depth we wouldn't be debating Malgin vs Robertson and engvall and kerfoot wouldn't still be penciled into the second line

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If we had that much organizational LW depth we wouldn't be debating Malgin vs Robertson and engvall and kerfoot wouldn't still be penciled into the second line

Some people can't see past tomorrow. That's ok. What comes next, will still happen.

Reactions: andora

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
That's a difference of 8 months, not 5, and that itself is pretty misleading. Nylander's contract was based on a small sample at age 19, and his age 20 and 21 seasons. Robertson's contract is based on his age 21 (shortened) and age 22 seasons.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
That's a difference of 8 months, not 5, and that itself is pretty misleading. Nylander's contract was based on a small sample at age 19, and his age 20 and 21 seasons. Robertson's contract is based on his age 21 (shortened) and age 22 seasons.
Yes, oops, 8 months is correct. Robertson had a better pro-rated "age 21" year to Nylander's "age 21" year. Then he was a 40 goal player the next season. Robertson wasn't allowed to expedite his pro career in the AHL like Nylander due to the NHL deal with the CHL.

But if you are assuming somehow that I think Nylander's deal is bad as of now, you'd be wrong. If Nylander were signing that second deal today with his stats from yesteryear he'd be closer to $8M just south of what Robertson would have signed for if he were in Toronto.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Robertson was also getting more ice time and playing higher in the lineup both seasons.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Nylander's contract was also six years, while Robertson's is four. It's always going to cost more, for a longer contract.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

Does that take him right into FA?

That could be a disaster in my opinion

Nylander's contract was also six years, while Robertson's is four. It's always going to cost more, for a longer contract.

I thought it was other way around. If you get terms you take less money
Nylander contract is also now 4 years. Not really comparable as market value has changed

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Robertson's contract ends with him still being RFA. Also gives them cap flexibility to run with the current roster instead of having to do some cap gymnastics. They did well here IMO

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Some people can't see past tomorrow. That's ok. What comes next, will still happen.

We're losing our 1/2/4 LWs as it stands next year.

If management thought they were that strong we wouldn't have spent the off season collecting league min guys to see which 3/4 stick instead of giving them an opportunity. You also wouldn't see reports about us not waiving Simmonds.

We have a 12-17 ranked prospect pool which is great given the situation we've been in and where our regular season has ended placement wise and how that relates to picks.

But let's not act like they're a group guarantee to have one get 60+ points next season. We got lucky with bunting and it was a great pick up but even he wasn't signed to be the top line guy at the start.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
I read that too and assumed I was misunderstanding. Did he say Jason Robertson will likely be as close to being as good as Auston Matthews?

40 goals in year two for a team that scored 6 more goals then the Sabers. But keep on with your idiocy solely because the stars didn't get dicked on the contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad