Trades and Free Agency - 2022/2023 Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
During his presser after the McCabe / Lafferty deal, Dubas, umprompted, mentioned the importance of maintaining the balance within the room without making too much change.

It was a strange comment at the time, but one that made more sense after we saw the Schenn / Engvall / Sandin / Gustaffson transactions.

That comment has kind of stuck in my mind since then - I wonder if it means he's done adding tomorrow. Still think we see him move out a Dman, but I wonder if they choose to go the prospect/pick return route rather than body for body.

I think it just means he wants to keep the skill + size/physicality balance in check. He probably didn't see enough of the latter so made the changes he made.

I don't think he's done doing his thing but it's entirely possible there's just not enough on the market to do something.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I think it just means he wants to keep the skill + size/physicality balance in check. He probably didn't see enough of the latter so made the changes he made.

I don't think he's done doing his thing but it's entirely possible there's just not enough on the market to do something.
Not sure I interpreted it the same way, but it's entirely possible. Fully agree regarding the market drying up though - now that most of the options have been taken off the table, whoever they chase isn't going to be an obvious target.

Can see a scenario where they move a Dman for a pick, and then trade down the 1st at the draft for 2 picks - that will help replenish some of the draft capital they've burned through over the last few years.

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not sure I interpreted it the same way, but it's entirely possible. Fully agree regarding the market drying up though - now that most of the options have been taken off the table, whoever they chase isn't going to be an obvious target.

Can see a scenario where they move a Dman for a pick, and then trade down the 1st at the draft for 2 picks - that will help replenish some of the draft capital they've burned through over the last few years.

Pretty much what happened with Engvall for Schenn. Move one piece, acquire another from another team.

I think they need 1 LW that can play 15-18 minutes.

Acciari might be banged up too.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Not quite. They actually expand at 12:01 am on the day of the deadline. So, just under 2 hours from now.
I stand corrected. I still don’t think you see a call up till Saturday though. Maybe Friday after the deadline.
No reason to complicate things before the deadline when a nice trade could drop into their laps on a day they don’t play anyway.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Any targets jump out at you?

After Bertuzzi being traded, I don't see many that fit cap space wise for me. Troy Terry is my favourite but probably isn't really available.

Comtois would be ok as well but... Nick Ritchie vibes here. I could see turning to Conor Sheary at the last minute for a cheap price.

Toffoli would fit like a glove but depends on the price and his cap hit is a little too high. Don't see them retaining.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tak7

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Dump Gus and try to get one more forward who can score

Lineup is set after that tbh

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
This team would be more than prepared if we had one more offensive weapon up front. Kerfoot just isn't that despite being a good soldier otherwise. Don't know how the Leafs could shore up the forwards, market is pretty barren now. If Knies is the last addition that's fine, but I'd be more comfortable with someone with established NHL scoring touch.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
trade kerfoot ... who we need offense ... i dont give a shit about his versatility.
90% of this roster can play all 3 positions.

he is beyond pointless

missing out on bertuzzi , i think the next best option is anthony duclair.

Reactions: notdoneyet

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Trading Engvall sealed the fate for Kerfoot staying with the leafs. They wanted to trade only 1 of them. Not both. I think the leafs value Kerfoot too much.

Need an upgrade over ZAR though. Obviously Knies is coming but have to assume you try to get someone else

Reactions: Jmo89

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I know Calgary is getting some talk about adding to push for the playoffs. I just can't see it. They have 1.3M in cap space next year, with 18 players signed. They aren't going deep this year.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Yes. And then in a couple weeks the probably send him back down and sign Knies. Then in the playoffs there is no salary cap.

It makes a lot more sense now. I thought roster size only expanded when the playoffs started.

Reactions: cyris

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I think a lot of people here may be disappointed if the 1st isn't traded by the deadline. But I wouldn't want to see it traded for the sake of it. Not sure if Toffoli or Terry would be available. Henrique may be redundant after the deals we made. Maybe Florida decides to sell? I just don't see many options out there. I'm fine to keep the 1st if nothing becomes available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino