Trade Weber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
OTF has a post on that Edmonton writer who just won't give up on wanting Weber. He's at it again.

Tonight, Edmonton Journal columnist Jim Matheson is banging the drums for a Shea Weber-to-the-Oilers trade again, speculating as to what assets Edmonton might have to give up in order to land the stud blueliner they've lacked since 2006. Of course, it's only been 3 months since Matheson wrote an almost identical column, and nothing has really changed since then, so give him full marks for recycling at least.

From the writer:

I know Weber's the face of the Predators but I also know if the future Hall of Famer [Chris] Pronger can be traded so can Weber. I also know Oilers' president of hockey ops Kevin Lowe LOVES Weber. He's in his prime, he's 235 pounds, only Zdeno Chara shoots the puck as hard, and Z stands in front of the net on the Boston powerplay now. So Weber, who probably has at least seven more years as an elite defenceman, currently pounds it better than anybody else.

If you were the Oilers and Weber was in play, what would you be willing to give up?

Keep dreaming, guy.

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2014/...ators-trade-rumors-shea-weber-edmonton-oilers

RomanEmpire

Feb 26, 2013
Nashville, TN
You can look but you can't touch. It's going to cost you.

IMO RNH or Hall + Eberle + 2014 and 2015 1st.

That's the least I'd take. We could do serious damage with Nuge, Eberle, Reinhart/Ekblad Smith, Forsberg, Wilson, Sissons, Aberg as our core plus our young & talented blue line that's only going to get better.

Can't say the same with our group of forwards now plus weber. Although I truly believe Weber is the best blue liner in the game..I'm legitimately torn about it.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
That's the least I'd take. We could do serious damage with Nuge, Eberle, Reinhart/Ekblad Smith, Forsberg, Wilson, Sissons, Aberg as our core plus our young & talented blue line that's only going to get better.

Can't say the same with our group of forwards now plus weber. Although I truly believe Weber is the best blue liner in the game..I'm legitimately torn about it.

I'm torn too, but I think if we get a good enough package I'd be happy with either options. And you can't forget about our first this year, could be a Ritchie or Distratl(sp).

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

You laugh but it is the truth. Because all they have are unproven prospects. While yes Hall is starting to prove something, he alone is NOT worth Weber. All of their prospects could become busts. As of right now it is hard to predict and while they look good on paper so did the 2003 Atlanta Thrashers.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
You laugh but it is the truth. Because all they have are unproven prospects. While yes Hall is starting to prove something, he alone is NOT worth Weber. All of their prospects could become busts. As of right now it is hard to predict and while they look good on paper so did the 2003 Atlanta Thrashers.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/statistics/?show=skaters&sortcol=7&sortdir=desc&prefilter=0-0

Look through the list here I believe you will see four Edmonton players before you see one of ours. But they are unproven. Just look at the players around them.

Last edited:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
That says it all. Legwand might have been better than Lecavalier.

No way any of those kids playing for Barry (2 way) Trotz puts up that many points. Having a coach that will bench them for not playing defense will lower their point totals. FYI why is it you want to become Edmonton? They keep getting all those 1st overall picks for a reason. :shakehead

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
No way any of those kids playing for Barry (2 way) Trotz puts up that many points. Having a coach that will bench them for not playing defense will lower their point totals. FYI why is it you want to become Edmonton? They keep getting all those 1st overall picks for a reason. :shakehead

Interesting fact - despite only making the playoffs once since the lockout - the Edmonton Oilers have only 4 less playoff victories than the Preds over that time.

The Oilers might stink, but our success is fool's gold - built on racking up points in meaningless regular season contents.

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
That says it all. Legwand might have been better than Lecavalier.

You'll have to clarify. Leggy was never going to score like Vinny no matter where he played.

Smith could keep pace with Edmonton's point leaders if he played for the Oil. So would you trade Weber for Smith +? I wouldn't.

Weber is one of the best 3-4 Dmen in the league. I wouldn't trade him for anyone but a proven top 3 elite forward. None of the Edmonton players have proven they can produce in a system that requires responsible two-way play. Could any of Edmonton's top 3 perform like Datsyuk? That's the only type player I would trade Weber for.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
While it is true that any trade for younger players production can vary there is no guarantee. Just as with Smith he is just as likely to have a rough patch and go 10 to 15 games without a goal. Look at the decrease in production of Hornqvist this season. He plays the exact game that he has played in prior years yet his numbers are way down. I think it is the lack of offensive talent around him that has led to this but that's my opinion.

Weber is on a hot streak right now but earlier in the year he was invisible in streachs. The bottom line is the return from trading Weber will produce a number of players that can help the team. If it does not there is no reason to trade him. The offensive pieces the team has in no combination will return top 6 players. Unless something BOLD is done this team will continue to struggle. The last two off season have been brutal, in this market they must ice a competitive team. Currently the roster does not do that nor is there much in the pipeline that would indicate the situation can be fixed. There are a few prospects in the system that could prove to be NHL players but all are currently prospects. And depending on potential has got the team in this hole.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN

I have addressed this in multiple threads maybe even here already but I will go at it again. On the trade and free agency board I even had an oilers fan discuss this very topic.

Edmonton has no Josi or Jones. Edmonton has no Rinne. We would still have these pieces plus some offensive pieces worth talking about. In no form would we become the Oilers.

A balanced team is what wins championships not just have stellar defense and a good goalie. If defense was all that matters we should already have had a cup by now, don't you think.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
While it is true that any trade for younger players production can vary there is no guarantee. Just as with Smith he is just as likely to have a rough patch and go 10 to 15 games without a goal. Look at the decrease in production of Hornqvist this season. He plays the exact game that he has played in prior years yet his numbers are way down. I think it is the lack of offensive talent around him that has led to this but that's my opinion.

Weber is on a hot streak right now but earlier in the year he was invisible in streachs. The bottom line is the return from trading Weber will produce a number of players that can help the team. If it does not there is no reason to trade him. The offensive pieces the team has in no combination will return top 6 players. Unless something BOLD is done this team will continue to struggle. The last two off season have been brutal, in this market they must ice a competitive team. Currently the roster does not do that nor is there much in the pipeline that would indicate the situation can be fixed. There are a few prospects in the system that could prove to be NHL players but all are currently prospects. And depending on potential has got the team in this hole.

That is what most people do not understand.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
You'll have to clarify. Leggy was never going to score like Vinny no matter where he played.

Smith could keep pace with Edmonton's point leaders if he played for the Oil. So would you trade Weber for Smith +? I wouldn't.

Weber is one of the best 3-4 Dmen in the league. I wouldn't trade him for anyone but a proven top 3 elite forward. None of the Edmonton players have proven they can produce in a system that requires responsible two-way play. Could any of Edmonton's top 3 perform like Datsyuk? That's the only type player I would trade Weber for.

The point is the words might and could can be used against any player in the NHL and make them into what you want them to be or not to be.

Let me show you what I mean.

Nick Schultz could keep pace with Nashville's Defensive leaders if he played for the Preds. So would you trade Forsberg + for Schultz?

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
Oilers have plenty to trade for Weber. Question is would they pay?

I don't want a package deal that includes a couple of top 6 guys and 2 first round picks. If Weber is moved, I would like to see a proven elite forward (Malkin, Datsuyk, Perry, Kessel, Kane, Toews) coming to Nashville from a team that has had moderate success. Scoring tons of points on a team that doesn't play defense doesn't impress me. More importantly, that player certainly wouldn't impress Trotz. And if the Preds wanted a bunch of first round picks, they would have let Weber sign with Philly.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I posted this a while back but now that you guys are on the topic

What about :

Eberle, Petry, Nurse, 2014 first (top 5 pick) for Weber and Wilson

You get a top line winger, A solid #4 defenseman and a great defensive prospect plus the 1st which will likely land you one of the centers (Reinhart/Bennett)

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Without Hall/RNH in a package, there is no reason for the Preds to consider trading Weber. A package with Eberle as the main piece along with a ton of potential won't land a superstar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad