Trade Weber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
If we're trading Weber the main piece better not be an injury prone defensive center the same age as Weber. That'd be the worst thing we could possibly do for this franchise right now.

We've already got Legwand, Fisher, Spaling, and Gaustad the 10 or so points that Kesler would have on Legwand or Fisher should not be enough to trade Weber. We'd be in the exact same spot as we are now but sub Legwand with Kesler and Weber with Edler. We lose that trade. Badly.

Vancouver doesn't make much sense in a Weber trade, yes, he's from B.C., but their core is aging and their best pieces to trade are defenseman and Kesler.

Edler, Jensen, Horvat, Shinkaruk(sp) is not an attractive package to me. I just don't see those prospects being enough to move Weber at all.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I cannot address your bias against Trotz first off nor your bias opinion we would become the Oilers because I have already done that. I will address Boston, Boston is a very very balanced team, not to mention they have a world class goalie.
Trotz is a very good defensive coach running a defensive system. In the trades you have proposed means a total rebuild and to total change in philosophy. Trotz is NOT going to change his system to accommodate kids. I do not hate Trotz but his system is designed to kill offensive skill. Now yes Boston is very balanced team but do not fool yourself their "world class" goalie would have been a spectator during the Olympics watching our Goalie. They also have a world class Defenseman in Chara just like the Predators. Take Chara away and they drop down in class from cup contender to playoff also ran. Take Weber away from Nashville and the this teams goes from playoff contender to the cellar.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Agreed. I've seen a few proposals for Weber and Wilson. I see very few players in the league for whom I would add a piece to Weber in a trade. Even fewer when that piece is Wilson.

I actually only added Wilson to help Nashville with cap relief, reading around these boards and the main boards I felt like a lot Nashville fans were sick of Wilson and felt like him and Trotz don't see eye to eye. I'd take him out if that's what Nashville wanted.

Oh I'm sure you and the front office in Edmonton would love that trade. Gonna have to understand, if you are getting arguably the best proven defenseman in the league, you are not going to get him from anything less than starting with a proven top forward in the league.

I agree that Edmonton is probably one of the most logical trade partners for us, but unless the trade talk starts with RNH or Hall on your side then you ( meaning the organization) are wasting your time.

No offense but what you listed is scraps, they are the people you are willing to give up, and to get a guy we don't really want to give up you are going to need to give up something you don't really want to give up either.

If Poile made that trade I think pretty much everyone would be calling for his job.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Jordan Eberle is not scraps, neither is Petry (who I would hate to move but understand Nashville would likely want a roster defenseman back to offset Weber). A top-5 (very likely top-2) draft pick is not scraps. Darnell Nurse, Edmontons best prospect is not scraps. I don't want to give up any of these pieces but fully understand how much value must be moved to acquire Weber.

It's almost twice as much value as Edmonton received for Pronger who was a better player than Weber is now (but to be fair he requested a trade) and a drastically better package then the one Edmonton gave up for Pronger (who was, IMO the best dman in the NHL).

I'm not sure Nashville can really expect to receive more value then that in a trade but perhaps the value would be in different areas like roster players as opposed to a #1 or #2 overall pick.

Sorry other Oilers fans have made a lot of ridiculous proposals in the past.

I actually just surveyed the guys around my office to see how they feel about that trade and all of them being Oilers fans feel like we're giving up way too much value. But I disagree, I think it's pretty fair.

Thanks for the discussion guys, I mean no disrespect what so ever, I appreciate the conversation.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I actually only added Wilson to help Nashville with cap relief, reading around these boards and the main boards I felt like a lot Nashville fans were sick of Wilson and felt like him and Trotz don't see eye to eye. I'd take him out if that's what Nashville wanted.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Jordan Eberle is not scraps, neither is Petry (who I would hate to move but understand Nashville would likely want a roster defenseman back to offset Weber). A top-5 (very likely top-2) draft pick is not scraps. Darnell Nurse, Edmontons best prospect is not scraps. I don't want to give up any of these pieces but fully understand how much value must be moved to acquire Weber.

It's almost twice as much value as Edmonton received for Pronger who was a better player than Weber is now (but to be fair he requested a trade) and a drastically better package then the one Edmonton gave up for Pronger (who was, IMO the best dman in the NHL).

I'm not sure Nashville can really expect to receive more value then that in a trade but perhaps the value would be in different areas like roster players as opposed to a #1 or #2 overall pick.

Sorry other Oilers fans have made a lot of ridiculous proposals in the past.

I actually just surveyed the guys around my office to see how they feel about that trade and all of them being Oilers fans feel like we're giving up way too much value. But I disagree, I think it's pretty fair.

Thanks for the discussion guys, I mean no disrespect what so ever, I appreciate the conversation.
I think you're being relatively realistic in the value involved. I'm not going to crap on the players mentioned either, because there's some solid pieces there. For my part, I just can't rectify giving up one of the best players in the game for anything short of a ridiculous package though, and even then...

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Yeah, Weber is one of those special players that means more to the team in intangibles and market in fan-value that a fair hockey trade still might not make sense.

Forsbergforloop

May 30, 2008
Oahu
These are my thoughts on trading Weber. First of all, don't do it lol. I just keep thinking, look at the hole that would create in our team. Weber is the heart and soul of the Predators and consistently at the top of our scorers while being a defenseman who shuts down top lines. He keeps this team together.

If another team wants to trade for him, I would want an equal hole created in their team. That is why if Edmonton offers a trade for Weber for any less than a package around RNH or Hall on top of their first this year, then it's always going to be a no from me. If they get Weber while still having RNH and Hall, then they have taken too much and given up too little.

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
I would move Weber - But only for a top line winger / middleman and a top 4 foward who are under contract for a number of years. I dont think you need a certified #1 D man as alot of teams roll with 4 top 4 D without any issues.

Could consider doing Justin Shultz and Taylor Hall ? or another combo like that...

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
These are my thoughts on trading Weber. First of all, don't do it lol. I just keep thinking, look at the hole that would create in our team. Weber is the heart and soul of the Predators and consistently at the top of our scorers while being a defenseman who shuts down top lines. He keeps this team together.

If another team wants to trade for him, I would want an equal hole created in their team. That is why if Edmonton offers a trade for Weber for any less than a package around RNH or Hall on top of their first this year, then it's always going to be a no from me. If they get Weber while still having RNH and Hall, then they have taken too much and given up too little.

The problem we're having with the constant Oilers proposals (other than them being constant), is that they want to center the deal around Eberle. While we would love to get him, I think he's being massively overrated if folks think he'd be a centerpiece of Weber deal.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
But but but GMs lie and things happen and people change and circumstances change and you don't believe everything you read do you and and and and we have to trade him or we'll be losers forever FIRE EVERYBODY!!!!111111one

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
LeBrun asked Poile about Weber:

"Forget it, says Poile.

"We’re not trading Shea. We’ve told that to everybody. People ask and it’s their right to ask, but we’re not trading him," Poile said firmly."

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=nhl&id=29339&src=desktop&wjb
That's comforting, until you remember that star players want to play for a winner. And if they aren't playing for a winner, many star players ultimately ask for a trade. Let's hope Weber is the exception, or that we quickly turn into a winner.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Someone post it over to the Edmonton forum.

Naa let's not do that. Posting it on the trade forum in a thread already dedicated to Weber trade talk is fine, but going over to the Oilers forum to post it in the middle of their own talks about Weber is a bad idea.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Naa let's not do that. Posting it on the trade forum in a thread already dedicated to Weber trade talk is fine, but going over to the Oilers forum to post it in the middle of their own talks about Weber is a bad idea.

I'll inform the masses ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad