Trade Weber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Let's stay on topic please. Now that we traded Klein for MDZ, there have been some changes to the lineup and this is a relevant topic. I also realize that Weber is a polarizing figure on the team which charges a lot of fans' opinions. Please keep it civil.

Personally, now that we traded a 29 year old team vet for a 23 year old with room to grow, I feel that Weber's presence is more important than ever. He's also running up the Norris list. Easy no from me.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
It says the pole is closed but an easy no for me. He is the foundation this team is built on. Rip that out from under the team and you will just have some rickety shack that will fold under pressure.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I'd say "only for an extreme overpayment", except the example given in the poll isn't quite extreme enough. :)

This. If Pittsburgh put together a package including Malkin or Crosby, yeah that's an overpayment you have to do. But outside of that? No. He's one of the best players in the world.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
I say yes, but for a gigantic haul. The poll isn't working for me.

I don't know of any specific deal off the top of my head, but if I was Poile, i'd listen to offers.

Here's my reasons:

1. I don't buy the Captain as a Predator for life. I don't buy the "he wanted to be here or Philly, he just wanted his money" line that we've sold ourselves. I think it's only a matter of time before he wants out. Especially if we're not contending. Why wait until you have to trade the guy and you lose some of your leverage?

2. This is the only way I see us being able to add the high end offensive talent to be a cup contender. This team, as presently constructed (and taking into account the farm), is a midding 7th-8th seed type team, at very best. We're not going to win a cup with this roster, and we're never going to be bad enough to land the difference makers needed to win one. There's no talent on the farm we can sell off for a Drouin/MacK type offensive dynamo.

3. I'm banking heavily on Seth Jones. In a year or two, I think he'll be ready to be the #1 D-man here. A top 4 of Jones, Josi, MDZ (hopefully he reaches his potential), and a vet UFA should be pretty darn good. And the offensive pieces we get should more than make up for this - we should no longer have to win games 2-1.

LOUISVILLE ICE CARDS

Washed up College Hockey Player OSU18 Uofl 2021
May 7, 2013
Louisville Kentucky
NOPE Pred for life. Cap room to keep him and acquire free agents in the summer. I did a roster on cap geek and if we wanted to (not say it will happen) we could add Gaborik and Vanek for 7.25 mil and Vanek for 7.5 mil and resign leggy still have 3 mil left in cap. I said before that we needed a LHD but with the acquisition of Del Zotto no need for one now. We can completely focus on the O

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
so trade weber is now the beating the dead horse radulov topic, forever and ever present.:help:

dpoile got asked the question and said no at the last news conference when he announced trading klein

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
No. Tough to believe that we would come out ahead trading a multiple-Norris nominee. Any trade would have to make us a markedly better team than we would be with Weber, which is hard to imagine considering the void he would leave.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
Have done a 180 on this. Thought Weber was going through the motions first half of the year, but since the turn of the year, he has looked like his old self. Cap wise/skill wise, he is now a bargain. And as has been said, with Klein gone, we need a veteran defensive anchor.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
I'd deal this guy for a ransom. Deal from a position of strength and pull in a ton for him. He wanted out of Nashville - that is something you can't put your head in the sand about - the guy was hoping the preds didn't match.

He is a stud, but trade him now when you can get an Eberle, 1st overall +++. The Preds have other D that will step up. The current program now isn't working.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I'd deal this guy for a ransom. Deal from a position of strength and pull in a ton for him. He wanted out of Nashville - that is something you can't put your head in the sand about - the guy was hoping the preds didn't match.

He is a stud, but trade him now when you can get an Eberle, 1st overall +++. The Preds have other D that will step up. The current program now isn't working.

Just your speculation?

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Just your speculation?

Well, he signed with Philly and then his manager said he wouldn't have signed there if he didn't want to play there. Something to that effect.

I think he likes Nashville tho, don't get me wrong, but there was a period there were he was mesmerized by the Flyers.

I think you remember that and deal him while he's playing well and will return an absolute score for the franchise.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Well, he signed with Philly and then his manager said he wouldn't have signed there if he didn't want to play there. Something to that effect.

I think he likes Nashville tho, don't get me wrong, but there was a period there were he was mesmerized by the Flyers.

I think you remember that and deal him while he's playing well and will return an absolute score for the franchise.

First, personally, I think he was mesmerized by the dollars more than anything. Second, getting back to your opinion, I still haven't seen where anything was said that he hoped the Preds wouldn't match.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

So the answer to AW's question would be "yes", then? :)

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Hall, Eberle and a 1st.

Backstrom+

Duchene+

Kopitar+

Any of those deals I would do for Weber. Josi and Jones are up and coming studs. Ellis has shown the ability to play. Ekholm will be fine. MDZ and Bartley will be ok.

You land that top end center and all of a sudden Forsberg and Smith have someone to play with. Fishers line become the second line. All of a sudden we're a much better team up front. You can't take any less than a top 3 forward who plays center.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
As it is right now, I would not trade Weber. The Defense is in a good place right now, dont screw it up. For all of those people who say he did not want to stay in Nashville because he signed that offer for Philly, if someone offered me that kind of $$ i Would have signed too! I think he signed it for a couple of reasons: 1- That is a boat load of $$!, 2- Suter left, GMDP did not sign any top 6 players that had been promised for the past umpteen years so I bet he was frustrated and a little hurt by all of the happenings around him, 3- That is a big wad of moola he was offered! Anybody in their right mind would have signed that contract! Anybody, Crosby, Stamkos, you name them and I bet they would have signed it too!

Back to the topic of Trading Weber, NO ONE is going to give us what we think we should get for him. Period! Just wont happen. No team will gut their offense to get 1 defense player. Not gonna happen my friends! We would be better off trying to trade several pieces to a team needing to shed some big time salary like Calgary or Florida but neither team has a top 6 I would think we would want.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Maybe, it'd have to be a major offer though.

If Colorado offered Johnson + Duchene/Landeskog/Mackinnon

Or Edmonton offered

One of Hall/Rnh, one of Eberle/Yakupov and a defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad