Trade Weber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Without Hall/RNH in a package, there is no reason for the Preds to consider trading Weber. A package with Eberle as the main piece along with a ton of potential won't land a superstar.

Agreed, if you want a player as good as Weber you are going to have to pay for it. You aren't going to get him for your teams scraps.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I have addressed this in multiple threads maybe even here already but I will go at it again. On the trade and free agency board I even had an oilers fan discuss this very topic.

Edmonton has no Josi or Jones. Edmonton has no Rinne. We would still have these pieces plus some offensive pieces worth talking about. In no form would we become the Oilers.

A balanced team is what wins championships not just have stellar defense and a good goalie. If defense was all that matters we should already have had a cup by now, don't you think.
That's right they do not have them but Jones is still in a wait and see mode for me and Josi could have a career ending concussion someday. Also note we DO NOT have Rinne either, yet because we have Weber are still in contention for a Playoff spot with him and much better than the juggernaut Oilers. Without Weber this team would not have a trade package for a top 5 pick since they would be guaranteed one for 3 years.

Also please address how these kids that do not have to play defense would fit into a Barry Trotz system. They would have to ride the bench and could become another Colin Wilson.

The desire to become the Oilers and to swoon over their kids is insane. Who knows if they will ever become nothing but a sideshow operation. How Balanced has Boston been recently? They seem to be doing OK.
If you can not see what a valuable piece Shea Weber is then you really have not watched this team for the last 7 years. I would like to get rid of Trotz hockey 1st before we blow it up completely.

Last edited:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
That's right they do not have them but Jones is still in a wait and see mode for me and Josi could have a career ending concussion someday. Also note we DO NOT have Rinne either, yet because we have Weber are still in contention for a Playoff spot without him and much better than the juggernaut Oilers. Without Weber this team would not have a trade package for a top 5 pick since they would be guaranteed one for 3 years.

Also please address how these kids that do not have to play defense would fit into a Barry Trotz system. They would have to ride the bench and could become another Colin Wilson.

The desire to become the Oilers and to swoon over their kids is insane. Who knows if they will ever become nothing but a sideshow operation. How Balanced has Boston been recently? They seem to be doing OK.
If you can not see what a valuable piece Shea Weber is then you really have not watched this team for the last 7 years. I would like to get rid of Trotz hockey 1st before we blow it up completely.
I agree. Additionally, Josi is a fantastic player, but he's also had the luxury of playing substantial portions of his career with some pretty solid veteran blueliners. Could he handle, at 23/24, being THE guy on an extremely young defense over an 82 game season? There's no doubt he's capable, but I would be extremely surprised if he didn't have some struggles without Weber beside him. Jones has great potential, but is just so inexperienced overall still. We've seen flashes this season, and we've also seen him play like a rookie. We also still have very limited NHL-ready blueline depth outside of what's with the big club. I just think, regardless of improvements to our offense, we are overestimating what our defense will be capable of without Weber anchoring it.

Also keep seeing this notion that "Preds had great defensemen before and didn't win anything, ergo...." Problem is, just because it didn't work for us doesn't mean the strategy doesn't work. New Jersey is an obvious example during their Cup runs. The Ducks Cup team was not a juggernaut offensively, they did it with two Norris-caliber defensemen, a standout goalie, a go-to shutdown line, and a couple real good offensive pieces (Selanne and MacDonald-Getzlaf and Perry had played well but were nothing like the players they are today). The Kings, despite the obvious talent of their squad, won on goaltending and defense. No question the Preds need to bolster their offense, and there are real questions about how we'll be able to get it, but I'm still not sure this team comes out for the better trading Weber.

Last edited:

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I agree. Additionally, Josi is a fantastic player, but he's also had the luxury of playing substantial portions of his career with some pretty solid veteran blueliners. Could he handle, at 23/24, being THE guy on an extremely young defense over an 82 game season? There's no doubt he's capable, but I would be extremely surprised if he didn't have some struggles without Weber beside him. Jones has great potential, but is just so inexperienced overall still. We've seen flashes this season, and we've also seen him play like a rookie. We also still have very limited NHL-ready blueline depth outside of what's with the big club. I just think, regardless of improvements to our offense, we are overestimating what our defense will be capable of without Weber anchoring it.

Also keep seeing this notion that "Preds had great defensemen before and didn't win anything, ergo...." Problem is, just because it didn't work for us doesn't mean the strategy doesn't work. New Jersey is an obvious example during their Cup runs. The Ducks Cup team was not a juggernaut offensively, they did it with two Norris-caliber defensemen, a standout goalie, a go-to shutdown line, and a couple real good offensive pieces (Selanne and MacDonald-Getzlaf and Perry had played well but were nothing like the players they are today). The Kings, despite the obvious talent of their squad, won on goaltending and defense. No question the Preds need to bolster their offense, and there are real questions about how we'll be able to get it, but I'm still not sure this team comes out for the better trading Weber.

The Devils also had a star forward or two to bolster their lineup. Elias comes to mind rather quickly. Sykora at times. Arnott in his prime. Amongst others.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
The Devils also had a star forward or two to bolster their lineup. Elias comes to mind rather quickly. Sykora at times. Arnott in his prime. Amongst others.
Sure. All productive forwards, just like Selanne with Anaheim who was absolutely still a star. But not necessarily teams composed of multiple franchise-type forwards like we're seeing talked about in the trade scenarios (not that I think they're all that plausible). Question, of course, is can we get one or two...even just really GOOD forwards outside of in a trade?

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Agreed, if you want a player as good as Weber you are going to have to pay for it. You aren't going to get him for your teams scraps.

I don't think Eberle, Nurse, Petry and our 1st (top 5 pick this season) is really scraps, they're some of Edmonton's most valuable pieces.

It would all come down to what direction Nashville wants to go in when they decide to trade Weber. If they want to retool and remain a contender then they might want to make a deal with a bit more proven talent coming back but if they decide to rebuild this trade would be ideal IMO.

I think Edm and Nashville are perfect trading partners in this situation to be honest.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
I don't think Eberle, Nurse, Petry and our 1st (top 5 pick this season) is really scraps, they're some of Edmonton's most valuable pieces.

It would all come down to what direction Nashville wants to go in when they decide to trade Weber. If they want to retool and remain a contender then they might want to make a deal with a bit more proven talent coming back but if they decide to rebuild this trade would be ideal IMO.

I think Edm and Nashville are perfect trading partners in this situation to be honest.

How many times does it have to be said that Weber is not getting traded for a roster player, a pick, and prospects????????

Also concerning Edmonton it starts with RNH or Hall. If not beat feet

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

I think people forget things when it comes to these "fantasy" trades. A: how young the defense really is. Remember when we could not wait for Hamhuis to develop and were told it takes years for defenseman to develop (which is true). B: In fantasy if you make a bad trade then you can get the player back fairly easily by drafting him the next season. Trading Weber means he will never wear Pred's gold again. C: The majority of fans will perceive the trade a being cheap or giving up.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
How many times does it have to be said that Weber is not getting traded for a roster player, a pick, and prospects????????

Also concerning Edmonton it starts with RNH or Hall. If not beat feet

My bad, just thought I'd chime in since you guys were chatting about it.

It would be 2 roster players by the way, Petry (who would be great on your second pairing RHD) and Eberle (who would be your best offensive player). Nurse is a very solid prospect who is almost ready for the NHL and as I mentioned the pick could be Reinhart or Bennett who could be your #1 center. If I was Nashville I'd wait though and make sure the pick is in the range you want before making the deal, it would have to be a draft day thing in my eyes.

It's a huge amount of value to give up but I understand where you guys are coming from. We had to trade Pronger when he was, in my opinion the best defenseman in the entire NHL... it was tough and almost no one could agree on what was fair.

The Predators are in a position of strength because they really don't need to trade him either, they've already paid so much of that contract so I'm sure ownership wouldn't mind hanging onto him.

Great player, fun as hell to watch. I'm sad that the Olympics are over.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I posted this a while back but now that you guys are on the topic

What about :

Eberle, Petry, Nurse, 2014 first (top 5 pick) for Weber and Wilson

You get a top line winger, A solid #4 defenseman and a great defensive prospect plus the 1st which will likely land you one of the centers (Reinhart/Bennett)
no.

I wouldn't trade Weber alone for that.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
no.

I wouldn't trade Weber alone for that.

Agreed. I've seen a few proposals for Weber and Wilson. I see very few players in the league for whom I would add a piece to Weber in a trade. Even fewer when that piece is Wilson.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
My bad, just thought I'd chime in since you guys were chatting about it.

It would be 2 roster players by the way, Petry (who would be great on your second pairing RHD) and Eberle (who would be your best offensive player). Nurse is a very solid prospect who is almost ready for the NHL and as I mentioned the pick could be Reinhart or Bennett who could be your #1 center. If I was Nashville I'd wait though and make sure the pick is in the range you want before making the deal, it would have to be a draft day thing in my eyes.

It's a huge amount of value to give up but I understand where you guys are coming from. We had to trade Pronger when he was, in my opinion the best defenseman in the entire NHL... it was tough and almost no one could agree on what was fair.

The Predators are in a position of strength because they really don't need to trade him either, they've already paid so much of that contract so I'm sure ownership wouldn't mind hanging onto him.

Great player, fun as hell to watch. I'm sad that the Olympics are over.

Oh I'm sure you and the front office in Edmonton would love that trade. Gonna have to understand, if you are getting arguably the best proven defenseman in the league, you are not going to get him from anything less than starting with a proven top forward in the league.

I agree that Edmonton is probably one of the most logical trade partners for us, but unless the trade talk starts with RNH or Hall on your side then you ( meaning the organization) are wasting your time.

No offense but what you listed is scraps, they are the people you are willing to give up, and to get a guy we don't really want to give up you are going to need to give up something you don't really want to give up either.

If Poile made that trade I think pretty much everyone would be calling for his job.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
That's right they do not have them but Jones is still in a wait and see mode for me and Josi could have a career ending concussion someday. Also note we DO NOT have Rinne either, yet because we have Weber are still in contention for a Playoff spot with him and much better than the juggernaut Oilers. Without Weber this team would not have a trade package for a top 5 pick since they would be guaranteed one for 3 years.

I cannot address your bias against Trotz first off nor your bias opinion we would become the Oilers because I have already done that. I will address Boston, Boston is a very very balanced team, not to mention they have a world class goalie.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Oh I'm sure you and the front office in Edmonton would love that trade. Gonna have to understand, if you are getting arguably the best proven defenseman in the league, you are not going to get him from anything less than starting with a proven top forward in the league.

I agree that Edmonton is probably one of the most logical trade partners for us, but unless the trade talk starts with RNH or Hall on your side then you ( meaning the organization) are wasting your time.

No offense but what you listed is scraps, they are the people you are willing to give up, and to get a guy we don't really want to give up you are going to need to give up something you don't really want to give up either.

If Poile made that trade I think pretty much everyone would be calling for his job.

This.. I am not sure what Edmonton fans don't understand about that.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN

You are missing the point in my comments because I am the one who was saying this. Suter and Weber both wanted this team to get better but Poile just did not do that, that is why I was not that surprised when Suter left and Weber attempted to shortly afterward. Defense and Goalies do not do it all. As good as the Kings defense was that year they outscored the Devils 16-8 in the cup finals.

BTW The year Anaheim won the cup Getzlaf outproduced Selanne in the playoffs and Perry had the same amount of points as Selanne.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
You are missing the point in my comments because I am the one who was saying this. Suter and Weber both wanted this team to get better but Poile just did not do that, that is why I was not that surprised when Suter left and Weber attempted to shortly afterward. Defense and Goalies do not do it all. As good as the Kings defense was that year they outscored the Devils 16-8 in the cup finals.

BTW The year Anaheim won the cup Getzlaf outproduced Selanne in the playoffs and Perry had the same amount of points as Selanne.
We got better. We added Gaustad, Gill, AK and Rads down the stretch. In retrospect we lost to Phoenix, er...we lost to Mike Smith, but there wasn't a lot of complaining when we ran through Detroit like butter. Just because the Yotes series was a complete circus doesn't mean we didn't add pieces to put us in a better position

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I cannot address your bias against Trotz first off nor your bias opinion we would become the Oilers because I have already done that. I will address Boston, Boston is a very very balanced team, not to mention they have a world class goalie.
Saying Trotz uses a defensive first system isn't bias. Tom Fitzgerald, Greg Johnson, Steve Sullivan and even recently Stalberg have all talked about it that being the base of his system. Trotz joked about Kariya's cherry picking giving him ulcers.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
We got better. We added Gaustad, Gill, AK and Rads down the stretch. In retrospect we lost to Phoenix, er...we lost to Mike Smith, but there wasn't a lot of complaining when we ran through Detroit like butter. Just because the Yotes series was a complete circus doesn't mean we didn't add pieces to put us in a better position

This exactly- I look back on that Phoenix series as such a missed opportunity. We easily could have won that series.

I wonder what would have happened if we had won game 1- we completely dominated the 3rd period/OT and should have won the game.

If we had won that game and the AR incident hadn't happened, I think we win the series. People forget that we allowed Phoenix a total of ONE goal in the two games in Nashville, yet still couldn't win both.

I know its in the past Phoenix beat us fair and square, but we were a lot closer than losing in 5 indicates..............

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
So our favorite said Max Patcheoretty reminds him ok AK. I quipped 'so, he's going to be traded for scraps to NSH. His counter was Max PAC, Markov, DD for Weber & a 2nd. My retort was to add all of MTL's Cup banners

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
It comes down to this. Do the Predators want to be on a 3 year plna or a 5 year plan? Trading Weber would only put us on a longer time table and while we may be better 5 years from now we would be far worse until then. I do not see management even considering a plan that would make us a bottom 5 team for the next few years over maybe making the playoffs every year. So Weber will not be traded...

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Would Nashville benefit from a trade with Weber for a package around Kesler? FWIW, Edler is also available in case you're looking to somewhat replace Weber back there, Kesler at $5M for another two years after this one, Edler for another 5 years at same price.

Perhaps to make budget work, Nashville could send back Legwand and Vancouver tosses in a 1st?

Kesler
Edler
1st

For

Weber
Legwand

If not, what would Vancouver have to add to Kesler to interest Nashville for Weber? If there's no fit, I get that, just curious if there's any interest. Kesler reportedly would like to play for a US team, he's 12th league-wide in goals for centres and would make a solid 1st line centre for the Preds, reliable goal-scorer who plays elite defensively and can be used in all situations. Gritty player, Trotz might be happy (if he stays past this season).

EDIT: Whoa, on reading this further this looks lopsided in Vancouver's favor due to the addition of Legwand, I was trying to do that to make budget work so I acknowledge it's not balanced, so add accordingly to what you think would work. If nothing works for both teams, fair enough, I'm a fan of both teams and think IF Weber is traded, almost nothing would be worth it, but Kesler for the Preds just makes a lot so much better, and Jones/Josi makes it survivable on the back-end for the Preds.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Would Nashville benefit from a trade with Weber for a package around Kesler? FWIW, Edler is also available in case you're looking to somewhat replace Weber back there, Kesler at $5M for another two years after this one, Edler for another 5 years at same price.

Perhaps to make budget work, Nashville could send back Legwand and Vancouver tosses in a 1st?

Kesler
Edler
1st

For

Weber
Legwand

If not, what would Vancouver have to add to Kesler to interest Nashville for Weber? If there's no fit, I get that, just curious if there's any interest. Kesler reportedly would like to play for a US team, he's 12th league-wide in goals for centres and would make a solid 1st line centre for the Preds, reliable goal-scorer who plays elite defensively and can be used in all situations. Gritty player, Trotz might be happy (if he stays past this season).

EDIT: Whoa, on reading this further this looks lopsided in Vancouver's favor due to the addition of Legwand, I was trying to do that to make budget work so I acknowledge it's not balanced, so add accordingly to what you think would work. If nothing works for both teams, fair enough, I'm a fan of both teams and think IF Weber is traded, almost nothing would be worth it, but Kesler for the Preds just makes a lot so much better, and Jones/Josi makes it survivable on the back-end for the Preds.

There is no way the Predators would do that deal as they would be looking for young guys if Weber was moved. He isn't going to be traded though so it doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad