Proposal: Trade Thread Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Killorn is affordable and good, but signing him would detour us further from the high-end forward we really need. Bergevin needs to save his money... um... gird his loins (but not in those words) and do something bold. Enough compromises.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Think Tampa is looking to move guys and not take any contracts back. I think they need to clear at least $6M-$8M or more. Some say $10M.
You want to unload a 40 point point overpaid LW on us (We already have Domi, Drouin and Tatar) you better send a good prospect with him.

That is how cap unloads should work if you are in Berg's shoes. We don't need Killorn to be better, Tampa needs to move him to save cap space.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I’d love to have him and have been saying so for months now. Adding him to the left side means having to move a LWer and hopefully we can add a big scoring right winger to round off the lineup. Plenty of assets to do it with Domi as the Center piece.
Should be to get a deal on Killorn. Where Tampa desperate to move cap

He adds size and PK.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Killorn is affordable and good, but signing him would detour us further from the high-end forward we really need. Bergevin needs to save his money... um... gird his loins (but not in those words) and do something bold. Enough compromises.

That's where my mind is at too. I don't hate Killorn but once you make that trade, you are committed to him taking up a chunk of the cap. If you add Killorn... 1 or 2 of these gone... Domi, Byron, Tatar.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You want to unload a 40 point point overpaid LW on us (We already have Domi, Drouin and Tatar) you better send a good prospect with him.

That is how cap unloads should work if you are in Berg's shoes. We don't need Killorn to be better, Tampa needs to move him to save cap space.

Depends on what stance you want to take. I'm open to adding Killorn and unloading Byron so my take it or leave it offer is the Blues 2nd and a 4th. Now on second though, we did get a 2nd and 3rd for Shaw in a normal off season so maybe a 4th for Killorn and that's it. Let them call other GM's

Reactions: jaffy27

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would not over pay for Killorn though. He's 31, only a couple of years left

But what is overpay and what is underpay prices? Shaw got a 2nd and 3rd in a normal off season last year?

4th round pick straight up or no deal? Habs would have to trade Domi for futures or trade Byron in order for the cap to work

Reactions: jaffy27

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Why don't the Habs use their supposed financial muscle to buy cap space - similar to what the Leafs did when they traded for Nathan Horton and David Clarkson? When spending close to the cap ($ 81.5M), a player on LTIR can be used to provide space on the salary cap. A smart move would be to give up one of our lower end (3rd / 4th) draft choices, we have a ton, and trade for a guy like Ryan Kessler in Anaheim who is on LTIR for the next two seasons but could offset our cap by $ 6.9M per season for the next two seasons? This kind of money could help land a top line scorer and even offset some of the $ 3.5M we're wasting for having Karl Azner play in the minors. You can be sure Dubas and Brisebois are calling Anaheim for this type of deal that could really help them dealing with the cap hell they are in. We are in as good as a position to do the same but does our GM think out of the box that way?

The Leafs didn't gain any cap space. Nor would acquiring Kesler increase available cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad