Proposal: Trade Thread Part 53

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Do you think Domi could fetch us a young top 6 center capable of 70 points who plays with speed and an edge to his game? That sounds like a solid return. Oh wait - that's Domi himself. Why the hell would we trade him? In 2018-19 he outproduced every Hab in the last 12 years since Kovalev. Enough with the rumours - he loves playing with Montreal. The only thing we should be worrying about is what it's going to take to extend him

We already have three centres that are better than him at being centres and they aren’t moody.

Reactions: Archijerej

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Could we package Domi for Kubalik? Winger with size who just scored 30. Is he untouchable, or do we have the assets?

As far as Saad is concerned, CHI would have to add for sure but Saad could be a good player for us. A finisher who can skate and play on the PP. Maybe taking Saad's contract could help even it out.

Kubalik-Suzuki-Drouin
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Saad-Kotkaniemi-Lehkonen
Byron-Evans-Armia

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
We already have three centres that are better than him at being centres and they aren’t moody.
The only center that is moody and selfish is Danault. Domi took it like a pro and showed up to the post-season where everyone believed he'd back out & put his health first. When slotted at 4C, he didn't whine, he didn't cry, he didn't pout. He still played, and never went public with some stupid rant. All season long he was given shitty wingers to play with. Not once did he complain - unlike Danault after 3 games of being "demoted".

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Could we package Domi for Kubalik? Winger with size who just scored 30. Is he untouchable, or do we have the assets?

As far as Saad is concerned, CHI would have to add for sure but Saad could be a good player for us. A finisher who can skate and play on the PP. Maybe taking Saad's contract could help even it out.

Kubalik-Suzuki-Drouin
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Saad-Kotkaniemi-Lehkonen
Byron-Evans-Armia
This is getting ridiculous. Lehkonen before Armia ? You do realize that Armia was pace for 23 goals and 20 assist last season ? Does that sound like someone who should be on 4th line and behind Artturi f***ing Lehkonen ?

Reactions: Gravity

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I have no idea if this NYR blogger is legit but at least he’s not making the typical low ball homerism style offers for Domi:

Montreal is looking for some size and skill on the wings. The New York Rangers have plenty of wings on the team and in the pipeline to work a deal out. They also have a lot of draft capital to play with and could use that 2nd first round pick to sweeten the pot.

Jeff Gorton could use that surplus and move a player like Pavel Buchnevich for Domi. He could also try going with Filip Chytil and Julien Gauthier, who is French Canadien. It might comes as a shock, but Vitali Kravtsov may not be as untouchable as some people think

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I said a few weeks ago that Habs Rangers are a great fit for a trade. Each having what each other needs. Makes a lot of sense along with a couple of other tweaks, one of which we just traded with in St. Louis.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Do you think Domi could fetch us a young top 6 center capable of 70 points who plays with speed and an edge to his game? That sounds like a solid return. Oh wait - that's Domi himself. Why the hell would we trade him? In 2018-19 he outproduced every Hab in the last 12 years since Kovalev. Enough with the rumours - he loves playing with Montreal. The only thing we should be worrying about is what it's going to take to extend him.

EhBlNERXsAE1Yfp

Its true, but hes a top 6 C, and the Habs already have two of those, younger, bigger, cheaper and better.

Its cool to trade good players to get better, thats how you actually get better.

I... I... yeah, I need to remind you of Danault, im sorry.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

I have no idea if this NYR blogger is legit but at least he’s not making the typical low ball homerism style offers for Domi:

Montreal is looking for some size and skill on the wings. The New York Rangers have plenty of wings on the team and in the pipeline to work a deal out. They also have a lot of draft capital to play with and could use that 2nd first round pick to sweeten the pot.

Jeff Gorton could use that surplus and move a player like Pavel Buchnevich for Domi. He could also try going with Filip Chytil and Julien Gauthier, who is French Canadien. It might comes as a shock, but Vitali Kravtsov may not be as untouchable as some people think

I might be in the minority here, but I would want Lemieux coming back as part of it.

Yeah, he's dumb, but he can take teams off their game and get our team engaged. Could also cost us a game, too.

Montreal needs more physicality up front that makes the d rush with the puck. Dump it in and make them think. Do they have Paul Byron coming at them and they need to make a play quick, or do they have a forward who's going to crunch them into the boards.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The only center that is moody and selfish is Danault. Domi took it like a pro and showed up to the post-season where everyone believed he'd back out & put his health first. When slotted at 4C, he didn't whine, he didn't cry, he didn't pout. He still played, and never went public with some stupid rant. All season long he was given shitty wingers to play with. Not once did he complain - unlike Danault after 3 games of being "demoted".

He showed up to the postseason? He had 1 game out of 10 where he did something. He didn’t get into scrums, didn’t mouth off. He wasn’t there whatsoever. It was embarrassing to watch this guy who likes to pretend he’s tough in the regular season, cower when his team needed him the most. He was obviously moody. Danault played his ass off and afterwards made a comment.

I’d much rather have a player leave it all on the ice and voice his displeasure than just float and be passive aggressive like switching agents to clearly find him the best trade (like Pacioretty).

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Domi wants to play center but isn't as offensively gifted as Suzuki to get such minutes, while not being defensively responsible enough to earn minutes away from Danault or Kotkaniemi in key situations. He doesn't drive his line outside of one year in his career which I'll write off to being in a new conference after playing in the blind spot of the NHL He's been sulking since we traded Andrew Shaw away; saying he was a irreplaceable part of the team. Shaw has declined into a LTIR retirement in one season. While I wouldn't judge anyone based on a once-in-a-lifetime event like August playoffs, he was in the postseason for the first time in his career and didn't look like he cared. Even Drouin stepped up in the elimination games, as much as I disliked his effort. Hudon is bound for Europe and still showed more fire in his game than Domi did.

Considering these points, Domi is still a good top six player with good value. The issue is as a team we can't have an environment where sulking gives you what you want, he's got to go. He had a single good game in the entire postseason. He would absolutely thrive on a middle-tier team that needs someone to step into the #1C role but isn't going to be a contender.

Like Columbus 3-4 years ago or Minnesota now. Something around Brodin is the only thing that makes sense. Domi/Kulak for Brodin/ one of a pick/prospect/filler forward.

Winnipeg an Ehlers swap with small adds on each side would be good as well. Ehlers is familiar with our coaching staff and plays a position of weakness for us currently as we have no top line wingers who want to play wing.

San Jose is another potential target, they need to shed salary. Domi/Alzner for Vlasic/something juicy. This is betting Vlasic's down year was just that, and playing with Weber would help him recover. It's an ideal situation for Domi as most of their C spend time on the wing as well. Alzner's got a couple years left compared with Vlasic. I'm just not familiar with their pool to say what the add would be, nor are they likely looking to move their ELC middle-six.

Florida are likely looking to replace Trochek who they traded for no reason. Domi for Borgstrom+.

Pittsburgh for Zucker or a futures packing with Poulin?

Buffalo has four forwards signed for next season..

Calgary as part of a Gaudreau package?

Rangers for Buchnevich+?

Lots of possibilities are there, I hope Bergevin takes his time for once.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
What do you mean by "at being center"? I ask because in my experience two of those things are setting up your wingers and taking faceoffs.

KK has not shown he is better than Domi at either of these, not even close.

For the helll of it, can we make a list of potential trade returns for Danault?

Reactions: Habs Icing

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
What do you mean by "at being center"? I ask because in my experience two of those things are setting up your wingers and taking faceoffs.

Two-way play, controlled zone entries, controlled zone exits. All of which KK is far superior. We have small wingers so a big centre is a huge positive. KK is still growing as a player too and it’s in the Habs best interest to keep him at his natural position and give him icetime so he can develop.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
I think the Rangers are a really great fit for a trade involving Domi.

What package deal would you accept for Domi?

List of potential targets:

- Chytil
- Buchnevich
- Gauthier
- Kravtsov
- Andersson
- Other names?
- Picks?

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Man domi sure went from being the best thing we've had in awhile (near point per game center) to a complete zero real quick. What happened to him?

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
wont get it done.
Matt duchene got 7 years at 8AVV
Tavares got 7 years at 11 million a year.
I can see Hall getting something inbetween that salary for about 7 years. In fact it will probably be 9 million for 7 years.
NO THANKS.

Man domi sure went from being the best thing we've had in awhile (near point per game center) to a complete zero real quick. What happened to him?

we’re impatient

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city

Domi has a lot of value. I still like him... It's just not the type of player we need to get the team in a better position.

But we need to get a good return.. Otherwise we should keep him

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

Domi got a lot of those points in an exploitation role, and frankly was never likely to repeat that kind of production. Defensively he was non-existent.

Its quite apparent that Suzuki and Kotkaniemi have higher ceilings and are already far more defensively sound which is something our organization values highly. Domi has been completely useless on the wing, thus it makes him a redundant piece to this team.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

C'mon, Coach! KK has such a sweet smile. That should be enough for him to "be at center".

I can see this center situation devolve very easily into a disaster.

They trade Domi. For argument's sake, we'll assume for a piece or pieces they need. At the next trade deadline they discover Danault is not happy with his lot in life and trade him for another piece they need. At the end of next season they realize KK is not a #2 but a very good #3. Next summer MB has a presser telling us centers are hard to trade for. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

FedorTyutin

Jan 10, 2019
What would the Habs need to pay for Zadorov + Jost + a 2nd?? I'm so willing to get this ultra premium package, I feel like that's exactly what the Habs need in order to get their shit together!!!

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Two-way play, controlled zone entries, controlled zone exits. All of which KK is far superior. We have small wingers so a big centre is a huge positive. KK is still growing as a player too and it’s in the Habs best interest to keep him at his natural position and give him icetime so he can develop.
Into a #3?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

This is a huge joke, right!?

Twist and shout should be your theme song after twisting events to suit some kind of anti-Danault narrative.

Danault did not come out publicly to whine about how he was used by the coaching staff during the playoffs and certainly didn't sulk and not show up while being demoted to play with Lehkonen and Byron, as you put it.

Basically, when asked how he felt about his future becoming that of a third line C starting next season, he said he had proven, over the last three years, that he could produce as a two-way, top-6 C that could also be relied upon for some offense, that reducing his role to a strictly defensive role didn't appeal to him because he believed he could also continue to improve on the offensive side of his game.

This is whining? It may well be more honest than we have been accustomed to hearing from robotic hockey players trained to spew out prefabricated responses to media types but, it didn't come across as whining in the least, IMO.

When asked if being relegated to a third line role in Montreal would affect his decision to re-sign with the team as an UFA, he said, "Yes."

Was he supposed to say, "No?"

Being relegated to a third line role for the foreseeable future and what would amount to, barring injury, likely the rest of his career, would have a huge financial impact on the player who is, not unlike other regular human beings, looking to provide for his family.

It was, to me, Danault positioning himself for upcoming contract negotiations that could also see him end up playing a 3rd line role with Montreal if it is explained in a way that values Danrult's role with the team and pays him accordingly.

If Danault is offered 5M rather than 3.5M, let's say, as a 3rd line C and presented with a role facing off against the opponents' best players in a shut down role that would see him get TOI closer to a balanced TOI for the top-9 than the TOI we see with a traditional 3rd line that follows two offensive lines, he might well readily accept his role and help the Habs to the best of his abilities.

Is paying 5M an overpay for a 3rd one C?

It is, for a C that could not play above that role. It might not be for one like Danault that can effectively contribute as a 2nd line, shutdown C in case of injury or on an off night from one of the younger, more offensive Cs.

Choosing to pay for depth down the C-line is not the worst way to allocate Cap space, even if it represents a slight overpayment for the third line C.

Furthermore, with Suzuki and Kotkaniemi still at a relatively cost-controlled asset, that overpayment wouldn't have the same impact in the initial years of the contract and could be easily accounted for with other contracts over time.

Paying Danault 5M to have genuine depth at C throughout the top-9 is a much smarter approach than paying 10.5M for a #1G, even if I think that Montreal can still make it work with Price at the current cost.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
The biggest issue was his style of play between the two years. He was fully engaged 2 years ago while this year he just seemed to be going through the motions. It was really unfortunate.

Last edited:

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Paying Danault 5M to have genuine depth at C throughout the top-9 is a much smarter approach than paying 10.5M for a #1G, even if I think that Montreal can still make it work with Price at the current cost.

Should I tell him? Alright, you aren't going to like this, I know you don't like the plan of paying our starting goalie 10.5 million.. But.. we now pay our goalies about roughly 16 million after Allen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad