SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
To Chicago: Max Domi
To Montreal: Brandon Saad, first round and 2nd round pick 2020

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
To Chicago: Max Domi
To Montreal: Brandon Saad, first round and 2nd round pick 2020

I have no idea why the Habs would take Saad for Domi. He is paid 6 million, and I'm sure that there are better options out there.

But if those two picks are added, the deal becomes more reasonable for Montreal.

I'm also not sure what direction Chicago wants to head in. Are they trying to compete? Rebuild?

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
I don’t know but that second rounder is an early second 30s draft position. Drafting a Gunler and Guhle in the first round and a Reichel with that early second from Chicago And Bordeleau with our early second will fill up our prospect pool really quickly.

Reactions: jaffy27

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
After OEL , Kovalchuk now it's Saad

why would habs give a 24 year olds center rfa that can give 50 points a season on a bad year to Brandon Saad who was almost cap dump 2 years ago. Saad is god damn overrated and barely hit 50 points when Chicago was destroying in the leaguel. Stop with this nonsense. Saad is not even that good. Id rather have Armia at the wings in the top 6 than Saad.

Even if Chicago add , we get robbed if Saad is the freaking base of the trade.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Since it's looking very likely that Domi is out, here's what I would do...

1. Offer sheet Sergachev at $8m x 4 years (lose 1st, 2nd, 3rd).

2. Trade Domi + Chiarot (250k retained) for Ehlers.

3. Sign Toffoli UFA at 5.5m per season.

4. Trade Byron for a 2nd and 5th, Kulak for a 2nd/3rd, Weal for a 6th.

5. Trade Alzner (50% retained) + 2nd 2020 + 3rd 2021 to Detroit.

New line-up:
Drouin - Suzuki - Caufield
Ehlers - Kotkaniemi - Toffoli
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Evans - Armia

Sergachev - Weber
Romanov - Petry
Mete - Fleury

Price/Allen

Reactions: CHfan1

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017

New line-up:
Lehkonen - Evans - Armia

Sergachev - Weber
Romanov - Petry
Mete - Fleury

Price/Allen
I have to say i do not agree with any of those moves except the 4th one. Trading Byron to like Ottawa with picks would be good and Weal can f*** off also. For Kulak i think we can manage to trade him in a package deal , tbh id rather trade Mete instead of Kulak. Mete brings nothing in the NHL

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
I have to say i do not agree with any of those moves except the 4th one. Trading Byron to like Ottawa with picks would be good and Weal can f*** off also. For Kulak i think we can manage to trade him in a package deal
I just wanna see the Habs stop sucking and push forward with our youth. I'm really sad knowing Domi is 95% likely gone and DO NOT want to get Saad or something stupid for him. I know WPG is looking for top-4 LD and a top-6 C, which is why I thought Domi + Chiarot (WPG really liked him) for Ehlers. I doubt we could get Laine, and even if we did, next year he'll ask for somewhere between 9-11m per season, which could cripple us.

For LD, I think with Kulak and Chiarot no longer here (through trades), we can have a great upgrade somewhere there. Krug at 7.5m if he's willing to come here? Maybe get Yandle (though he's up in age) for a 2nd+? We need a more offensive-defenseman (someone like Sergachev/Krug/Yandle). Any 1 of them would be great beside Weber.

Toffoli could be had. I know the Habs have been wanting him for some time. He'll likely get 5.5m in UFA. I'd personally go for either him or Dadonov.

Also, instead of buying Alzner out, which could hurt us this season cap-wise (if we want to make drastic changes), trading him at 50% retained should cost us about a 2nd + 3rd. I'd do it if it means having that extra cap space to fit a good player in.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
After OEL , Kovalchuk now it's Saad

why would habs give a 24 year olds center rfa that can give 50 points a season on a bad year to Brandon Saad who was almost cap dump 2 years ago. Saad is god damn overrated and barely hit 50 points when Chicago was destroying in the leaguel. Stop with this nonsense. Saad is not even that good. Id rather have Armia at the wings in the top 6 than Saad.

Even if Chicago add , we get robbed if Saad is the freaking base of the trade.

Those 2020 1st and 2nd round picks are the main interests, not Saad, who's most definitely, like you said, akin to a cap dump.

Domi probably don't want to play another game for Julien anyway, so might as well try to get something decent for him, as we won't get a king's ransom, player-wise.

Reactions: jaffy27

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017

New line-up:
Lehkonen - Evans - Armia

Sergachev - Weber
Romanov - Petry
Mete - Fleury

Price/Allen

Ehlers is a complimentary player. Like Drouin.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Those 2020 1st and 2nd round picks are the main interests, not Saad, who's most definitely, like you said, akin to a cap dump.

Domi probably don't want to play another game for Julien anyway, so might as well try to get something decent for him, as we won't get a king's ransom, player-wise.
We will get something from Drouin. Why would we get nothing?. We can get better than a worst player than drouin and a mid pick.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm also not sure what direction Chicago wants to head in. Are they trying to compete? Rebuild?

If you can’t tell then you’ll readily appreciate where Bergevin’s decision making and planning comes from.

Same blueprint except the Hawks actually won something not too long ago.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
I just wanna see the Habs stop sucking and push forward with our youth. I'm really sad knowing Domi is 95% likely gone and DO NOT want to get Saad or something stupid for him. I know WPG is looking for top-4 LD and a top-6 C, which is why I thought Domi + Chiarot (WPG really liked him) for Ehlers. I doubt we could get Laine, and even if we did, next year he'll ask for somewhere between 9-11m per season, which could cripple us.

For LD, I think with Kulak and Chiarot no longer here (through trades), we can have a great upgrade somewhere there. Krug at 7.5m if he's willing to come here? Maybe get Yandle (though he's up in age) for a 2nd+? We need a more offensive-defenseman (someone like Sergachev/Krug/Yandle). Any 1 of them would be great beside Weber.

Toffoli could be had. I know the Habs have been wanting him for some time. He'll likely get 5.5m in UFA. I'd personally go for either him or Dadonov.

Also, instead of buying Alzner out, which could hurt us this season cap-wise (if we want to make drastic changes), trading him at 50% retained should cost us about a 2nd + 3rd. I'd do it if it means having that extra cap space to fit a good player in.

I know what you mean but I don't think you can fix the habs by 1 off season right now. We just finished 24th in the league and that fake playoff round showed us that we can still only hope that Price save our ass to win games.

For Domi , for sure is he gone with Julien not liking him but Julien will be also gone pretty soon. For sure Winnipeg is looking for d-mans but i dont think Ehlers is worth that much compared to Domi since Domi is a center. So I don't even think we would need to add Chariot to land him. Also Ehlers is a bit like Drouin , I Don't think that's the kind of player we need right now. Of Laine would be the best target but also the price would be enormous but we can't really gauge a trade like that. I see Laine getting traded in Carolina because Carolina has alot of players that Winnipeg needs.

Let's see where we at for our LD positions without trades we have Chariot , Mete , Romanov and Kulak. So we agree that Romanov stays for sure. Im pretty sure Bergevin is not gonna ship Chariot since his contract and years are minimal. So that leaves Kulak and Mete. Mete for me is an ahler , so remove him. Thats leaves Kulak in the top6. In a good world Chariot would be playing on a third pair while Romanov on the second and we would need a new d-man on the left side from a trade.

Toffoli at this price for 40~ points player. I think you give too much money for what he's worth. For Dadonov , for a guy turning 32 is meh for me , not the kind of player we need for a retool.

I think buying Alzner right now is pretty much useless , until next season atleast.

Also in the trades you made , you did not sign any of the ufa next season and that would be a huge problem already because you would be missing money and probably stay in the same position because we are not in a position of power with all those ufas and the expansion coming up.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
I know what you mean but I don't think you can fix the habs by 1 off season right now. We just finished 24th in the league and that fake playoff round showed us that we can still only hope that Price save our ass to win games.

For Domi , for sure is he gone with Julien not liking him but Julien will be also gone pretty soon. For sure Winnipeg is looking for d-mans but i dont think Ehlers is worth that much compared to Domi since Domi is a center. So I don't even think we would need to add Chariot to land him. Also Ehlers is a bit like Drouin , I Don't think that's the kind of player we need right now. Of Laine would be the best target but also the price would be enormous but we can't really gauge a trade like that. I see Laine getting traded in Carolina because Carolina has alot of players that Winnipeg needs.

Let's see where we at for our LD positions without trades we have Chariot , Mete , Romanov and Kulak. So we agree that Romanov stays for sure. Im pretty sure Bergevin is not gonna ship Chariot since his contract and years are minimal. So that leaves Kulak and Mete. Mete for me is an ahler , so remove him. Thats leaves Kulak in the top6. In a good world Chariot would be playing on a third pair while Romanov on the second and we would need a new d-man on the left side from a trade.

Toffoli at this price for 40~ points player. I think you give too much money for what he's worth. For Dadonov , for a guy turning 32 is meh for me , not the kind of player we need for a retool.

I think buying Alzner right now is pretty much useless , until next season atleast.

Also in the trades you made , you did not sign any of the ufa next season and that would be a huge problem already because you would be missing money and probably stay in the same position because we are not in a position of power with all those ufas and the expansion coming up.
I far prefer Domi to Ehlers. It just really sucks what's happening with Domi and the Habs. And, I completely agree with you and SakuKoivu11 that Ehlers is a complimentary player like Drouin. That's why having a good center and a good finisher (Suzuki + Caufield for Drouin. and Kotkaniemi + Toffoli/Dadonov for Ehlers) could work. I wish that we could land Laine. I'd be over the moon - but nice things don't happen to us... Unless WPG is willing to accept Domi + Chiarot + 1st, which is a very solid deal for them. We could even add one of Fleury/Brook/Juulsen and maybe even a 2nd (it's a lot, but instead of getting a Saad for Domi, we'd be getting freaking Patrik Laine!!!)

Also, Toffoli's comparables are all signed for 5-5.5m per season. I know it's a lot of money, but at least the guy knows how to score goals and is solid all-around.

With Tatar/Danault/Gally/Kotkaniemi/Armia/Lehkonen/Petry/Allen all needing an extension next year and only a little over 30m cap space available (following my trades), I would extend Tatar at 5.5-6m, Danault at 5-5.5m, Gally at 6, Kotka gets a bridge somewhere between 3-3.5, Armia goes UFA or takes something similar at 2-2.5, Lehkonen same as Armia (though he likely gets taken by Seattle), Petry stays at 5.5 small contract (considering his age), Allen either walks (if Primeau is ready) or takes a 1-2m deal max. It'll be doable! Obviously there will be some tweaks here and there. The only big problem I can see is the following year with Suzuki and Romanov's RFA renewal coming up. Hopefully, Romanov can be cost-controlled considering he'll only have 2 seasons to showcase. But yeah, by then you trade one of Tatar/Petry, etc. You get younger, etc. It's doable.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
With so many UFA's coming up after next season and with the uncertainty with the cap right now I don't see MB making a splash and adding a big long term contract before next season starts.

He said in his year end media briefing that he isn't only looking at the cap for next year but also beyond next year so that gives me reason to think he won't be committing to a long term big contract this off season. Unless maybe it's in a trade, while also sending similar type money out at the same time, but I don't see the Habs throwing big money at a UFA this off season or looking at acquiring a long term expensive contract like OEL.

Reactions: Archijerej

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Not sure why we wouldn't trade Domi to the Rangers? they have a lot of big skilled wingers and nice blue chip prospects.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

If Julien is the principal reason Domi has to be moved, doesn’t seem like a wise choice. Not wishing anything bad on Julien but after what happened, he likely doesn’t have a long way to go.

Edit: just to be clear -- I meant as a coach, not in terms of surviving.

Last edited:
Reactions: L4br3cqu3

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
If Julien is the principal reason Domi has to be moved, doesn’t seem like a wise choice. Not wishing anything bad on Julien but after what happened, he likely doesn’t have a long way to go.

Unless there's other health issues that arise later Julien should be good to go again now for another few years after having his stent put in to open his artery back up if he wants to. My old man had a couple of stents put in about 15 or so years ago and it fixed him right back up. He's 75 now and has more energy and go in him that many half his age so Julien should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad