• Nick Suzuki

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Hoffman is aaking for too much and not many teams can afford him. I see Ottawa as a potential destination but don't think they want him back. Haula will be a nice addition for the Habs but BargainBin needs to shed salary. I don't think other teams have the luxury to take on players like Weal, Byron or Kulak. Unless MB is working on trading his potential UFAs or underachievers (Tatar, Drouin, Armia, Danault) to bring in a better top 6 winger or top 4 LHD, I don't foresee any other majour signings for the Habs. Lots of teams don't necessarily want to gamble on rentals either because of all this uncertainty. I also don't think he wants to sacrifice the farm.
Well... I wouldn't call Tatar, Danault or Armia "Underachievers". Maybe Tatar in the series against Philly. Of course, Drouin is enough of an underachiever for all of them. Point is, at least three of those players would be valuable trading assets if Bergevin needs to move someone out to make room for an incoming UFA.

Of course it's probably moot, since the chances of landing a second quality UFA is so slim. But to his credit, I never would've bet on Bergevin landing one. But until Hoffman/Granlund/Haula inevitably sign elsewhere, I plan to play the 'what-if' game, because what else is there to do during the off-season?

Reactions: jaffy27

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Would you trade Gallagher + 1st 2021 + Guhle for Laine?

Gallagher’s here for as he wants to be with his extension. It would be a terrible look on the franchise if they traded a player they traded a player before his new deal even kicked in. But pretending that wasn’t a factor, this is probably close to what Winnipeg would want depending on how they value Gallagher moving forward.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Well... I wouldn't call Tatar, Danault or Armia "Underachievers". Maybe Tatar in the series against Philly. Of course, Drouin is enough of an underachiever for all of them. Point is, at least three of those players would be valuable trading assets if Bergevin needs to move someone out to make room for an incoming UFA.

Of course it's probably moot, since the chances of landing a second quality UFA is so slim. But to his credit, I never would've bet on Bergevin landing one. But until Hoffman/Granlund/Haula inevitably sign elsewhere, I plan to play the 'what-if' game, because what else is there to do during the off-season?
Didn't say Tatar, Danault and Armia are underachievers. I speak of Drouin. That's I mentionned potential UFAs or underachievers.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Would you trade Gallagher + 1st 2021 + Guhle for Laine?
Nope - Danault + Chiarot...final & only offer

US teams have been very inactive this offseason except for VGK (Pietrangelo) and Sabres (Hall) - that means Jets don’t have much of a market for Laine.

There’s more supply than demand due to fiscal concerns. $ in vs $ out are the only deals that will come Jets way for Laine, otherwise a deal would’ve been struck by now.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I think we still need to sign a 13th forward at 700k. My main target was Leivo, but he got signed yesterday. Some other potential targets could be Wilson, Frolik, Shore and Grabner(he said that he is undecided about returning). We send Weal down and call up Evans. After this 700k signing, we will have like 8k in total cap space lol. However, I don't want to bring up Belzile, Vejdemo...etc or other young guys as our 13th forward.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I think we still need to sign a 13th forward at 700k. My main target was Leivo, but he got signed yesterday. Some other potential targets could be Wilson, Frolik, Shore and Grabner(he said that he is undecided about returning). We send Weal down and call up Evans. After this 700k signing, we will have like 8k in total cap space lol. However, I don't want to bring up Belzile, Vejdemo...etc or other young guys as our 13th forward.

If one of these guys would take 700k, I would gladly do it. I would prefer someone who can take Dzone faceoffs though.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Granlund, Haula and Hoffman still unsigned...

The longer this goes, the more it seems like a situation tailored for Bergevin. Wouldn't be the first time he's waited out the competition and swooped in for an unexpected deal. If the Habs are circling around one of these players, the holdup is probably on finalizing a trade to free up space. Seems ridiculous to imagine our GM adding another quality UFA, but if 2020 has taken us this far off the map, may as well go full-Twilight Zone.

Not possible and not needed. We have no cap space left, and Byron is likely not tradeable this summer

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
I saw some talk on twitter about bringing Kovalchuk back today because of this article:

NHL's top 20 remaining UFAs of 2020: Latest rumours, reports - Sportsnet.ca

Montreal’s Kovalchuk experiment got off to a great start — the veteran proved he’s still got a little magic left in him, and his success looked even better with a $700,000 price tag attached — and saw the club flip him to the contending Capitals for a profit at the deadline. He fell flat in the playoffs with Washington, but it feels likely this wasn’t the last we’ve seen of Kovalchuk in le bleu, blanc et rouge. He’s still a strong candidate to return to Montreal as a free agent on another low-cost contract.

This is what the team would look like with Kovalchuk added at 700k per and no trades (Weal to Laval).

Habs Kovy - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I saw some talk on twitter about bringing Kovalchuk back today because of this article:

Montreal’s Kovalchuk experiment got off to a great start — the veteran proved he’s still got a little magic left in him, and his success looked even better with a $700,000 price tag attached — and saw the club flip him to the contending Capitals for a profit at the deadline. He fell flat in the playoffs with Washington, but it feels likely this wasn’t the last we’ve seen of Kovalchuk in le bleu, blanc et rouge. He’s still a strong candidate to return to Montreal as a free agent on another low-cost contract.

This is what the team would look like with Kovalchuk added at 700k per and no trades (Weal to Laval).

I'd look at other options first, but I wouldn't mind Kovalchuk as the last plan for a 13th forward. Definitely better than rolling 12 forwards and definitely better than having any of our AHLers sit in the press box.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Byron should be moved, if that's possible. I would even get someone with a slightly higher cap and one year remaining - i.e.: Brandon Sutter who can both play wing or slide into the 4C slot if Evans doesn't pan out.

If we need to sweeten the deal with a pick, we have plenty.

Reactions: sampollock

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
I'd be thrilled to get Kovy back. Clearly we're going to roll 4lines and 3 of them will get a somewhat similar amount of ice time so he'll get to play and I think that's exactly the kind of spot he need at this point in his career.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

No thanks but if they signed Kovalchuk, Kovy will be the 13th forward and Byron will be in the line up WAY before Kovy

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Need a bulldog type player for the 4th line
The old school guy in me would tend to agree. We did add some sandpaper already so it's not as big of a deal as it could be. Still, I know it might not be a popular opinion here but I actually wouldn't be adverse to giving Matt Martin a go on the forth line if we could create an opening. Not if it means Evans/Poehling don't get a chance at a roster spot though.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
The old school guy in me would tend to agree. We did add some sandpaper already so it's not as big of a deal as it could be. Still, I know it might not be a popular opinion here but I actually wouldn't be adverse to giving Matt Martin a go on the forth line if we could create an opening. Not if it means Evans/Poehling don't get a chance at a roster spot though.

it's not old school to want physicality on your bottom 6. In fact look at the teams that won the cup and you will find these types of player in each for them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad