Speculation: Trade Targets

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don't think the Hawks Forwards in the system are in that bad of shape post 2023 draft, but they just needed to have that sort of draft and you can see why they went so Foward heavy.

Bedard, Nazar, Moore, Ludwinski, Kanterseov, Misiak, Greene, Hayes, Lardis, Savoie, Felcman, Pharand, I think is a solid group of 20 and unders as you enter next season. That's listed in order of Draft Position.

Consider the "Bedard" factor of that. Huge boost when you can confidently say you have "F1" locked in place amongst that crew. That creates a really nice trickle down effect for the rest of the crew, out of all the rest now you just need one to be an "F2" (and depending on how the 2024 1st shakes out, that may be it right there), then everyone else an F3, etc. etc. So hopefully you can get a few more hits out of that group.

Then consider you don't need your whole team to come from your prospect rank and a trade/FA signing is inevitable but harder to do the higher up the depth chart, but again, you have F1 already.

It's just young, so you can't expect too much too soon from those players as far as what they'd be able to contribute in the NHL.

Reactions: HawksDub89

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I don't think the Hawks Forwards in the system are in that bad of shape post 2023 draft, but they just needed to have that sort of draft and you can see why they went so Foward heavy.

Bedard, Nazar, Moore, Ludwinski, Kanterseov, Misiak, Greene, Hayes, Lardis, Savoie, Felcman, Pharand, I think is a solid group of 20 and unders as you enter next season. That's listed in order of Draft Position.
Of that group personally, I'm expecting contributions from Nazar, Moore. I think Ludwinski, Hayes, Greene, Lardis, Savoie, Kantserov have decent shots. I don't expect much from Misiak, Felcman, Pharand.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Of that group personally, I'm expecting contributions from Nazar, Moore. I think Ludwinski, Hayes, Greene, Lardis, Savoie, Kantserov have decent shots. I don't expect much from Misiak, Felcman, Pharand.
Probably, hopefully the Hawks knew what they were doing with the Misiak pick which doesn't look particularly great on paper but given his draft positioning would be too soon to write off eight months after the Draft.... He wasn't a big USHL scorer in his draft year either. I'll be curious if he can play at a third line level with Rockford next year.

Reactions: TLEH

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I think they need a foundation of guys from the prospect pool that are in the 22-23 range. Any younger than that and we need to be talking top 5-10 picks (Bedard, Korchinski, '24 1st) to realistically be making an impact.

I think they have some D in the 01-03 years (Vlasic, Phillips, Crevier, Kaiser, Del Mastro, Allan) that can really be pushing as players ready to compete by 2025-26 (but D generally take longer).

Forwards though, you're looking at Reichel (02), Slaggert (02), Dach (03), Rolston (01), Luypen (02), Thompson (02), Teply (01), Safonov (01), Saarella (01), James (02), Stjernborg (03), Oscarsson(03), Marcel (03) and Tohila (03)... which isn't a group I expect a whole heck of a lot of to come act as Bedard reinforcements. I think they're gonna need a bit more time to get foundation setting Forwards to come in and be ready to compete. They can perhaps stopgap it with free agent signings while the younger forwards develop but they also don't want to rush things.
One name I hope the Hawks are targeting is Collin Graf, the top NCAA free agent this year. Interesting case. He is a late 02 birth, which would have made him eligible for two drafts - 2021 and 2022 (draft eligibility is players turning 18 years old on or before September 15 and younger than 20 years old before December 31 of the draft year). Based on his trajectory, I doubt he was even so much as a name on the board that was ever so much as scouted in those years.

Boston area kid, he came up through the Boston Jr. Bruins system, and played on their 16U team. From there he played on their 18U team and their Junior team, which competes in the NCDC, a breakaway Junior league that didn't receive Tier II sanctioning from USA Hockey. He never played Prep Hockey or in the USHL. He was in the NCDC for his first "draft year" and was a team leader (also included Cam Lund, a 2022 second round pick, but an early 04 birth, and Shane Lachance, a 2021 6th round pick and 03 birth).

From there, he went to Union College, which was once a powerhouse but fell on hard times. He ended up 2nd on the team in points as a first year player and youngest member of the team. Went undrafted again, but earned a transfer to Quinnipiac, an NCAA powerhouse. No longer eligible for the Draft, he had a breakout season. He lead the team in points by a 16 point margin and goals by a two goal margin with a 1.44 PPG (5th best in NCAA, 10 GP min filter). And mind you, this is playing for a counter-attacking, opportunistic, trap type team that had the best defensive metrics in NCAA. They also won their first ever national championship that year, knocking off Michigan and Minnesota in the Frozen Four to do so.

Fast forward to this year, and Graf's production has only improved. As of right now, he has 42 points in 26 games with a 1.615 PPG which is 2nd in the NCAA to only Gabe Perreault (Rangers 1st round pick). In particular his goal scoring has kicked it up an extra notch (21 goals in 41 games last year, and 19 goals in 26 games this year). As of now, Quinnipiac is 7th in the country in rankings. Usually when you see an Undrafted guy rank so highly in terms of scoring, you'd expect to see like an 00 birth. To see the level of production he is having, at the highest level of NCAA Hockey, from a late 02 undrafted player is very exciting.

If the Hawks sign him, he's instantly a top 3 00-02 Forwards in the organization overnight. Hawks have a soft depth chart but a stronger incoming prospect pool from younger players, so he'd need to carefully weigh his options. But if the Hawks can more or less guarantee him games this year and a roster spot next year, it could be a great fit if there's mutual interest.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
One name I hope the Hawks are targeting is Collin Graf, the top NCAA free agent this year. Interesting case. He is a late 02 birth, which would have made him eligible for two drafts

If the Hawks sign him, he's instantly a top 3 00-02 Forwards in the organization overnight. Hawks have a soft depth chart but a stronger incoming prospect pool from younger players, so he'd need to carefully weigh his options. But if the Hawks can more or less guarantee him games this year and a roster spot next year, it could be a great fit if there's mutual interest.
Graf can play. I've seen him live a couple times in NE. Depends on what he wants, to be close to home in Mass or playing time in Chicago. I'm assuming he'll have 32 teams interested.

He's probably just a scoring complimentary winger at the next level but getting that for free is fun.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Jaeger is the same guy who wanted to sign Karlsson going as far as "whatever it takes". Not sure if that is what his computer is telling him or not but Pettersson is not the guy you target in a rebuild. Hell, he doesn't even move the needle offensively on the backend.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Why?

A soon to be 28 yr old with just one more year on contract before FA

What appeal does Pettersson offer a team in deep rebuild?

He's developed into one of the better defensive defensemen in the league and we have a backend full of guys that are offense-first. He makes 4 million, even with a 50% raise, he'll make what a 4/5 D makes after the cap raise.

I'm not saying give away the sun and the moon, but when good players come up on the trade block, you kick the tires. I'd be shocked if it took more than two 2nds, and we have a ton of picks. The chances of a 2nd rounder even making the NHL is much less than the chance Pettersson at 4-6 million helps this team develop their young D by providing support.

I swear some of the people on this forum would have poo-pooed the Devon Toews for two seconds trade if it had come across their desk. After all, he was a 27 year old making about 4 million too :laugh:

Last edited:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Jaeger is the same guy who wanted to sign Karlsson going as far as "whatever it takes". Not sure if that is what his computer is telling him or not but Pettersson is not the guy you target in a rebuild. Hell, he doesn't even move the needle offensively on the backend.

Absolutely. The team was, allegedly, in win-now mode.

I would HAPPILY pay what San Jose did in a trade for EK (you know, last year's Norris winner) at the time over what the Blackhawks paid for Seth Jones, when they made that trade.

The Blackhawks problem from 2017 to 2022 was that they couldn't decide if they were chasing a cup or rebuilding. My position was, if you're chasing a cup, put your dick on the table and commit, don't tweak around the edges of an aging core with nobodies. Go get the best, most impactful player on the market.

Instead they did what? Overpayed (twice) for Seth Jones, Oli Maata, Calvin De Haan and Zadorov, while we waited for the great Ian Mitchell to hit the NHL? Sorry, I know where I'd rather the assets and cap space went to.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Honestly I think Davidson should look to see if there is interest in overpayment for Kurashev

- 9 goals + 23 assist for 32 pts in 49 games
- 24 yrs old
- Can play C/W
- signed thru next season at $2.25M (RFA in 2025 offseason)

Wouldn't get Hagel package of multiple 1st rounders but I wonder if there would be interest

Hawks also can retain 50% on his salary next year to help fit him on contender and get better package

Thoughts?

Reactions: vandymeer13

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
Honestly I think Davidson should look to see if there is interest in overpayment for Kurashev

- 24 yrs old
- Can play C/W

Wouldn't get Hagel package of multiple 1st rounders but I wonder if there would be interest

Hawks also can retain 50% on his salary next year to help fit him on contender and get better package

Thoughts?
Unless you get a Hagel package he probably has more value giving Bedard someone to play with short-term

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019

- 24 yrs old
- Can play C/W

Thoughts?

It would have to be a significant overpay for me.

Kurashev is a guy you win with in the playoffs. He’s 24, has leadership qualities and has shown the ability to compliment any line.

At some point you need to keep some pieces. Even when the Hawks are good again it’s not like the entire roster will be made up of 22/23 year olds.

I think trading Kurashev would be pretty foolish.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
But I thought Dubas was doing a fantastic job?

I believe the Pens roster is oldest in NHL with barely any youth

Dubas really couldn't do much with roster and was mandated to try and make playoffs with vet core

His decision to sign Jarry turned out right as the Pens G duo have been backbone of team

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I believe the Pens roster is oldest in NHL with barely any youth

Dubas really couldn't do much with roster and was mandated to try and make playoffs with vet core

His decision to sign Jarry turned out right as the Pens G duo have been backbone of team
He came in and said that they could still win with their core guys (they can't) and he added another aging vet with a huge contract that won't help (Karlsson), and signed Ryan Graves for 6 seasons at 4.5mil and he's nothing more than a 3rd pairing Dman.

His depth signings have been garbage, just like in Toronto, and now he's about to trade their only solid piece outside of the 3 old guys for pennies on the dollar (Guentzel) when he should have traded him last year when he could have got more in return, but he thought they could win lol

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
what can the Hawks get for Blackwell? He's good. Didn't realize he's 30 years old. Hawks need to strike while the iron is hot and move him to a contender at the trade deadline. I gotta believe teams will be lining up for a shot at slotting him into their bottom 6 for a playoff run.

• Wow
Reactions: Pertti

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
7th rounder

Maybe 6th if there is bidding war
sounds good to me. Then you take that 6th rounder and combine it with some 4th and 5th rounders and you get back a 3rd round pick. Then you take that pick and combine it with another 3rd rounder and a 2nd rounder and you move into the late 1st round. Then you take taht pick and combine it with another 1st rounder to get another pick in the lottery. Now you've got multiple lottery picks and basically a 99% chance of getting Celebrini.

So that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you turn Whatever his first name is Blackwell into Celebrini.

Being a GM is pretty easy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad