Speculation: Trade Speculation / Untouchable players, part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Theres just no way Despres is going to be a center piece in bringing something substantial right now. He would land you potential or rentals.

The Ducks wouldn't give Palmieri straight up for Despres. No way.

It's useless discussing deals involving the Ducks anyway. We don't have what they would need.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Cams may be realistic but not the other two.

Kumy is about the most realistic target and I would be fine with that.

That means JJ walks and BB plays with Crosby.

Yes, I JJ has been a great fill in for us, but I just don't see him as an ideal part of this team going forward. Doesn't have great speed, isn't physical, goes through stretches where he doesn't produce a lot, and won't be that high-end guy who's going to put up 30+ goals or 70+ points, and he's not getting any younger. Great trade, and great value at $2.3 million (with CAR eating $K on top of that), but he'll get $3 million or more again on a short-term deal, and I don't see us giving him that unless it was truly a last resort option; and even then we still may have reservations about that.

I would be VERY happy to give guys like Kulemin and Setoguchi a serious consideration on a short term deals, and one or both of them my find Pitt a very good landing spot to try to resurrect their careers playing with great players, and having a chance to win.

Now, with all that said and with obvious salary cap considerations aside, we *could* look at guys like Vanek, Cammalleri and Gaborik. Such level of players and $$s mean that we would either have to forego re-signing Niskanen, Orpik (which I hope isn't a consideration anyway), etc. It may even come to pass that we could look to move Letang for a package of elite futures and draft picks (or cheap, elite ELC young players + picks), retain Nisky for about $3 million/year less, and spend that money on one of those UFAs. I do agree that this may be the least likely scenario because there's more risk, but it's still a distinct option.

He is playing a lot better in the A this year, but he generates a lot of chances and doesn't finish. That's what makes me nervous about him. He isn't a natural offensive player.

My fear is he would become Duper part deux.

He's just too similar to Megna, Archibald and Wilson with various degrees of ceilings.

Shero needs to find a truly skilled young fwd if he is moving Despres.

Dupuis part deux isn't what we would want, but I think that's Etem's floor. I truly believe that he's going to be Dupuis+ which is a great player, even if it's not what we might dream for in a trade (and of course I would aim higher than Etem, but still).

And yes, he has some similarities to Megna, but not to the point where he becomes redundant. And I am very high on Archibald, but he's still at least 1, probably 2, years away from making an impact.

Etem also has a bigger frame and plays a much stronger & more physical brand of hockey than those guys. He is an absolute BEAST on the forecheck, and while he can't necessarily always create & complete plays by himself, he does have a great shot and goal scoring ability (his numbers he put up in the WHL are pretty rare and uncommon, and they're not an accident; and even his numbers so far this year are pretty damn good for his age). He's not the perfect go-to winger for Sid like Neal is to Geno, but Etem could be the perfect guy to be the 3rd wheel on either of the top 2 lines, and his physical play, work ethic & leading by example on the ice, and PKing are elite. If he gets a nice pass from Sid/Geno, there's a very good chance he's going to bury it. And he won't try to overcomplicate his game, and we know that Sid likes to be the one to carry the puck. He's also a great, great and down to earth kid. I've met him in Cali with the pro camp (T.R. Goodman's) crew.

I think Ruopp, Bort, Despres and Dumo all bring the size I want to see on their blueline, but I think only two of them will be on this roster in a few years... Be it Despres/Ruopp, Dumo/Bort, Dumo/Ruopp, etc.

I don't think we will see Ruopp/Bort together unless something goes awry with several other guys.

I agree with you on Bort/Ruopp, and I know we both have high hopes for Ruopp, but until he shows he's in the same category of player as Bort, I don't think he has a chance to supplant him. He may be that #7 D and could be a swing-man like Engo, but it's too soon to know if he'll be a legit top-4/top-6 like Bort.

But I do see more than 2 of those guys on the roster. I see 3:

Dumoulin(Despres)--Letang(Nisky)
Maatta--Harrington
Pouliot--Bortuzzo
Samuelsson/Ruopp/etc. as #7

One of Dumo or Despres gets moved, IMO, and either Pouliot or Harrington plays the right side. If it's Pouliot, then the pairings would see Maatta next to Bortuzzo and Harry(LD) with Pouliot(RD)

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Forgot to add: yes, I would aim higher than Etem, and I would be willing to add a 1st rounder to Despres/Dumoulin to increase the value of the package. But if we can't get a sure-thing, blue-chip guy who is already established (Silfverberg, Coyle, Niederreiter, etc.), and we end up looking at higher-end forward prospects, some of those guys may come with questionmarks to their game. Indeed, guys like Sven Baertschi and Brett Connolly have higher upside, but they're not as safe bets as Etem.

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here. What really is going to determine the return is: just how much do prospective trade-partnering teams think of Despres or Dumo, and just how much more is that package worth if we add what will be a late 1st rounder in a somewhat average draft?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
If DB is here for years, whats the point in keeping Despres if he isn't going to play?

I'd trade Despres for Etem straight up right now.(Just a hypothetical cuz i know it won't happen but i would be interested in any winger that has potential like that)

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
https://twitter.com/adater/status/427221329365192705

Scouts from the following five NHL teams are here for #Avs-Lightning tonight...

Two from the Columbus Blue Jackets (second night in a row, including John Davidson), two from the Detroit Red Wings, and one each from the Chicago Blackhawks, Pittsburgh Penguins and New York Rangers.
One piece of gossip I picked up: John Mitchell's name has been in play of late. Doesn't mean anything will happen.

I think the pens are definitly scouting PAP, they were scouting av's for a long stretch of games til PAP gets hurt, PAP comes back from injury and all of a sudden pens are scouting Av's again.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I'm personally not super interested in PAP. I also didn't think the Pens/Shero were either do to the fact that (at least nothing public) we didn't go after him in FA.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm personally not super interested in PAP. I also didn't think the Pens/Shero were either do to the fact that (at least nothing public) we didn't go after him in FA.

I guess it could just be a coincidence that the pens are scouting the A's when PAP is in the lineup.

I sure as hell hope there not scouting John Mitchell.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
PAP is slow. Shero and Bylsma both mentioned speed being an important thing for playing with Sidney. I have a hard time believing they'd see him as a fit. He's also a PP guy. Not much room for him on our PP.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
PAP is slow. Shero and Bylsma both mentioned speed being an important thing for playing with Sidney. I have a hard time believing they'd see him as a fit. He's also a PP guy. Not much room for him on our PP.

Yeah. It's McGinn. Or ROR if they're willing to put roster players on the table.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think with Bennett on the top line with Sid and Kuntiz, and Jokinen playing like he is... we have two real good lines there already. Not amazing, but real good. Keep in mind we didn't win the cup in '09 with 2 amazing lines, we won with THREE real good lines.

We need to get back to the best third line in hockey. Sutter needs help. We need a shutdown line.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah. It's McGinn. Or ROR if they're willing to put roster players on the table.

I've been vocal about it yes, but please let it be ROR! That kid is everything this team needs right now! Wing, 2C capable, skilled, great defensively, young, RFA...so many reasons to want to get this kid on the Pens. Letting that special someone go would also improve things as well IMHO.

I'd be okay with McGinn too to beef up the 3rd line...but...at what cost? Not Despres I hope...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think with Bennett on the top line with Sid and Kuntiz, and Jokinen playing like he is... we have two real good lines there already. Not amazing, but real good. Keep in mind we didn't win the cup in '09 with 2 amazing lines, we won with THREE real good lines.

We need to get back to the best third line in hockey. Sutter needs help. We need a shutdown line.

My question is will Jokinen be playing like he is in May? He might be. Or he might take May off like he did December.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
My question is will Jokinen be playing like he is in May? He might be. Or he might take May off like he did December.

And when he's in scoring slumps, he provides next to nothing. He's not fast. And can't work the boards very well.

At least Beau has shown he's willing to go to the net and lay some hits.

If we can't get that stud top line guy, I'm fine rotating McGinn in the top 6.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
And when he's in scoring slumps, he provides next to nothing. He's not fast. And can't work the boards very well.

At least Beau has shown he's willing to go to the net and lay some hits.

If we can't get that stud top line guy, I'm fine rotating McGinn in the top 6.

I'm not sure that's necessarily fair to Jokinen. When it's been Jokinen-Malkin-Neal, he's proved to play very well. Much of December was plagued with injury. Yes he disappeared in that time...but with Malkin and Neal back, that line has been on fire.

Now if he disappears with those two, I'll agree.

Fire Shero*

McGinn would be a nice addition to the third line, but we are pens fans and know he would play with Crosby because we have no one else. People will be fine with it because he will be better than Kobasew.

For the love of god, get a legitimate top 6 winger. 8 years...still waiting

but but but...

No more buts or excuses

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I honestly believe if anything were to happen it would at the deadline or as close to the deadline as possible. Shero likes to "see what he has" before he makes any hasty decisions. It's commendable and frustrating at the same time as a fan.

I'd prefer a hockey trade rather than a here's a piece, there's a piece, every where a piece piece to see if something sparks like last year.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm not sure that's necessarily fair to Jokinen. When it's been Jokinen-Malkin-Neal, he's proved to play very well. Much of December was plagued with injury. Yes he disappeared in that time...but with Malkin and Neal back, that line has been on fire.

Now if he disappears with those two, I'll agree.

This is very much it.

Out of Eberle and O'Reilly I'd prefer O'Reilly for his tenacity and all of the other things, where as, Eberle is just a highly skilled player who wouldn't win many board battles, but he will score goals, something O'Reilly is only starting to do now that he's playing wing.

I'll take either, but O'Reilly first and foremost.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
McGinn would be a nice addition to the third line, but we are pens fans and know he would play with Crosby because we have no one else. People will be fine with it because he will be better than Kobasew.

For the love of god, get a legitimate top 6 winger. 8 years...still waiting

but but but...

No more buts or excuses

we all want that. but I don't want to get a rental top 6 guy. And a long term top 6 guy is next to impossible to land mid-season. Its a problem that shouldn't have gotten to where it is, but this is where it is. Right now, a long term solution isn't really an option. Even a Letang deal will be tough mid-season. That's a big change. I'd do it. Shero almost certainly won't.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
http://sulia.com/channel/colorado-a...prop&source=tw&repost=120&form_factor=desktop

Adrian Daterabout 2 hours ago
Scouts from the following five NHL teams are here for #Avs-Lightning tonight...One from the Columbus Blue Jackets (their GM), two from the Detroit Red Wings, and one each from the Chicago Blackhawks, Pittsburgh Penguins and New York Rangers.*One piece of gossip I picked up: John Mitchell's name has been in play of late. Doesn't mean anything will happen.

Last edited:

malksby8771

Jul 28, 2011
Would Despres alone land us Cammy? I'd love to see him on Sid's wing for the forseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad