Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Its amazing how no one in the media seems to care that he hasnt signed and we have heard nothing about him and now we are just a couple of days from the deadline
I wonder if the league and NHLPA will make an announcement of some sort regarding this situation. Perhaps a secret deal/arrangement has already been made between the league, NHLPA, team and Formenton.

Looking at the starting 6 D for St Louis, Tampa, Chicago, L.A., Colorado - its never going to happen with Lassi and Brannstrom and the hope Chabot turns into Scott Neidermeyer. If Ottawa doesn’t upgrade the D, they’ll always be bad
I would never say "never" but the probabilities are very low. :)

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I wonder if the league and NHLPA will make an announcement of some sort regarding this situation. Perhaps a secret deal/arrangement has already been made between the league, NHLPA, team and Formenton.

Just see what a massive impact a half competent Dman like Zub makes, literally the entire team looks good when he’s in the lineup, without him the team looked lost.

Imagine adding a legit top 3 guy like EK - it would completely turn the team around. Our top 3 D are good, our bottom 3 make Bo impact whatsoever and have no ability to impact the gem - they are just trying. Another difference Maker ok D and suddenly Ottawa has depth everywhere

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Just see what a massive impact a half competent Dman like Zub makes, literally the entire team looks good when he’s in the lineup, without him the team looked lost.

Imagine adding a legit top 3 guy like EK - it would completely turn the team around. Our top 3 D are good, our bottom 3 make Bo impact whatsoever and have no ability to impact the gem - they are just trying. Another difference Maker ok D and suddenly Ottawa has depth everywhere
Getting a top 2/4 D man and Formenton would significantly improve this team.

Reactions: Tuna99

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

The NHL said they are finished their investigation, but won’t release findings until after London Police are done.

Reactions: Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
hes not the solution either

puke
Hamonic is definitely not a long term solution but he is surviving as a 2nd pair guy. Ideally we’d have a better option which would push Hamonic down but we don’t.

Think how soft our D would be without Hamonic, it’s terrifying

Reactions: Cosmix and Ice-Tray

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
8. Alex Formenton must sign a contract by 5 p.m. ET on Thursday, or he cannot play in the NHL this season. No clarity into the 2018 World Juniors investigation is expected by then. A few weeks ago, there was some belief he’d be traded and resume his NHL career in another city. We will see what happens in the next 24 hours, but that belief has dissipated.

That's from the latest 32 thoughts.

Also some interesting stuff from Frank Seravalli...

The Ottawa Senators have seemingly moved with little intention to negotiate and/or sign Formenton over the months since he did not sign his qualifying offer.

That has led to speculation around league circles that Formenton may be facing discipline for potential involvement in the Team Canada 2018 World Junior Championship team’s sexual assault case. It has left other clubs wondering: Why haven’t the Senators attempted to sign him?

Vegas are identified as a team that might step up and take the risk...

The Golden Knights raised eyebrows on Wednesday when they traded defenseman Zach Hayes to Carolina in exchange for future considerations. They were previously at the 50-contract maximum and moving Hayes without getting anything in return provided them the flexibility to acquire and sign Formenton if need be. GM Kelly McCrimmon has a decades-strong relationship with Newport Sports Group, who represents Formenton and many other players on Vegas’ roster. Plus, the Golden Knights’ will to win and improve their roster by seemingly any means necessary cannot be discounted. Perhaps the only thing standing in the way is the Golden Knights’ lack of salary cap space. Formenton is likely due a one-year deal somewhere in the neighborhood of $2.25 million based on comparables, and Vegas doesn’t have that much space, but that is potentially solvable by sending an active roster player back to Ottawa in a potential deal.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Hamonic is definitely not a long term solution but he is surviving as a 2nd pair guy. Ideally we’d have a better option which would push Hamonic down but we don’t.

surviving as top 4 guy? and Brassard is playing well too right?

no wonder this team is competitive... oh wait.

Mookie McGee

Mar 4, 2020
That's from the latest 32 thoughts.

Also some interesting stuff from Frank Seravalli...

Vegas are identified as a team that might step up and take the risk...
Arguably, our only above average players in their slots are the 2nd line slightly better than most, and if we had Formenton there lifting Joseph's play, those 2 on the 3rd line. And Pinto on the 3rd line with Norris back. Sanderson as a 3 is/will be better than a lot of 2nd pairing guys. Forsberg playing well is better than most back ups.

Trade Formenton for some more filler, and this team has little talent above its slotting. And nothing in the pipeline to fix this going forward.

So of course, I expect Dorion's 2nd greatest day in his career will loading up the Golden Knights yet again with Formenton in exchange for whoever is most likely to mimic Zaitsev's career.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Arguably, our only above average players in their slots are the 2nd line slightly better than most, and if we had Formenton there lifting Joseph's play, those 2 on the 3rd line. And Pinto on the 3rd line with Norris back. Sanderson as a 3 is/will be better than a lot of 2nd pairing guys. Forsberg playing well is better than most back ups.

Trade Formenton for some more filler, and this team has little talent above its slotting. And nothing in the pipeline to fix this going forward.

So of course, I expect Dorion's 2nd greatest day in his career will loading up the Golden Knights yet again with Formenton in exchange for whoever is most likely to mimic Zaitsev's career.
My read on this situation is that Senators simply have no intention of having Alex Formenton play for them ever again. Even if he manages to escape criminal charges resulting from the Hockey Canada mess I think the team would still move him out.

So from Dorion's perspective Formenton is something akin to a stranded asset. He's not helping the team now and may never be in a position to help them again. If there is a team willing to give you anything for this guy before the 5PM deadline hits tomorrow it wouldn't be the worst idea to just take it and move on.

Reactions: NB613

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
My read on this situation is that Senators simply have no intention of having Alex Formenton play for them ever again. Even if he manages to escape criminal charges resulting from the Hockey Canada mess I think the team would still move him out.

So from Dorion's perspective Formenton is something akin to a stranded asset. He's not helping the team now and may never be in a position to help them again. If there is a team willing to give you anything for this guy before the 5PM deadline hits tomorrow it wouldn't be the worst idea to just take it and move on.
For any other team it might have made sense to bite the bullet and have him play, but for a team on sale it might be a PR issue that scares away potential buyers.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
surviving as top 4 guy? and Brassard is playing well too right?

no wonder this team is competitive... oh wait.
I’d love to push Hamonic down. Ideally all of Hamonic, Holden and Brannstrom would be upgraded.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Is it weird that no one seems to care that every other eligible player from that Halifax team is playing in the NHL this year?
When they come up for contracts (like Comtois next summer) will they also be left unsigned and removed from the NHL like Formenton?

Mookie McGee

Mar 4, 2020

Well Dorion keeps him out at his own peril, Formenton's 18 goals including 6 shorties last year on the 3rd line in place of Motte this year would no doubt have given us an extra victory or 2 at this point (Motte replaces the score-evading Parker Kelly on the 4th line). 10-11-1 versus 8-13-1 is the difference between gaining respectability and failing to move the team forward, and for a GM with a history of nothing but failure, it could be bye bye time.
If they know he was a lead instigator and a report is on the way, fine, he has to go, but if he is just one of the several involved players, this could be like Tony DeAngelo moving on and lighting it up in Carolina for no cost. The Sens don't have the depth to virtue signal at the expense of the roster while every other player involved is helping their teams.

Reactions: bert

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

then they should have simply traded him in the summer

again another odd move where the organization is not being honest. Everyone knows whats happening.

Hopefully they will wait till the investigation is done and then determine if he should be signed or not

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Is Hamonic particularly “hard” he consistently gets out wrestled by players and bullied in front of the net.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

uhhhh our defensive game sucks. We are at the bottom of the league

it literally can't get much worse than this. Hamonic is a very replaceable piece as he is a bottom pairing guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad