Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Some Leafs fans will tell you that Ottawa's goaltending and defense is not good enough to compete for a wildcard playoff spot. Then they'll say, with a straight face, that their defense and Matt Murray is good enough to win a Stanley Cup. Madness.
They may be correct in the first part. Definitely wrong on the last part.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
They may be correct in the first part. Definitely wrong on the last part.

Ottawa's defense, at this point, is not a strength. But it's helpful to look at it in the context of other teams in the East. Outside of Tampa, and maybe Boston, we won't stack up all that poorly if Sanderson can be a solid 2nd pairing player in his rookie season (and I'd put quite a bit of money on him being that).

Zaitsev for Holl?!? :panic:

I'd happily take on Holl to see both Matt Murray and Zaitsev play for the Leafs this year (+ Mete and Gaudette!)

Reactions: Loach

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I know we all marvel at the hot Pierre summer moves, rightfully so, but how do you not declare Brad Treliving the winner? Went from having his two best players wanting to leave town and somehow got even better in the process of replacing them (AND signing them long term to boot). Gotta marvel at this wizardry, he wins in my books

Are they really better? He's betting a lot of money on players who will be in their 30's. Two of whom have a history of not showing up in the playoffs and another who is 50/50 to make it through the playoffs without getting suspended. They don't have a lot coming up in terms of young players and there's a good chance they could be stuck in mediocrity in a few years.

Assen na yo!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Are they really better? He's betting a lot of money on players who will be in their 30's. Two of whom have a history of not showing up in the playoffs and another who is 50/50 to make it through the playoffs without getting suspended. They don't have a lot coming up in terms of young players and there's a good chance they could be stuck in mediocrity in a few years.

Assen na yo!
Well they are replacing 2 other guys that also haven't thrived in the playoffs, so it's at least a different mix, and they did get some additional assets with those guys on top of it.

Slam dunk home run is probably overkill, but Brad did about as good of a job out of that situation as possible. Not everyone wants to tear it down and throw away half a decade to be hopefully good again. You're right though, they may pay for some of those contracts.

Reactions: Cosmix

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
You can have Walker for 3rd round pick

You can have Durzi for 2nd round pick

You can have Roy for 1st round pick

Roy imo is worth a late first but there is still a decent chance ottawa's first ends up being a mid first

I would do 2 2nds for Roy or a 2nd and a B level prospect

Reactions: Cosmix and kinghock

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I know we all marvel at the hot Pierre summer moves, rightfully so, but how do you not declare Brad Treliving the winner? Went from having his two best players wanting to leave town and somehow got even better in the process of replacing them (AND signing them long term to boot). Gotta marvel at this wizardry, he wins in my books
At huberdeau's age, i wouldn't consider that contract a win.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Some Leafs fans will tell you that Ottawa's goaltending and defense is not good enough to compete for a wildcard playoff spot. Then they'll say, with a straight face, that their defense and Matt Murray is good enough to win a Stanley Cup. Madness.
Murray is good enough to win a cup. He's got two rings to validate that.

I understand us needing to move on from Murray, i really do. But i also recognize that if Murray can have a healthy season that he's quite capable of posting elite numbers.

This isn't a situation of yes no, its assigning probability to different outcomes one of which is Murray being healthy enough to be a cup winning goalie

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You can have Walker for 3rd round pick

You can have Durzi for 2nd round pick

You can have Roy for 1st round pick
Is Walker going to play ?

No interest in Durzi. You should try to get Hague out of Vegas for Durzi.

Not paying a 1st for Roy.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

I understand us needing to move on from Murray, i really do. But i also recognize that if Murray can have a healthy season that he's quite capable of posting elite numbers.

This isn't a situation of yes no, its assigning probability to different outcomes one of which is Murray being healthy enough to be a cup winning goalie
The probability of Murray staying healthy is close to zero and he won those 2 cups before he changed from using a trapper to a 2nd blocker.

• Haha
Reactions: Cosmix

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Not really how it works. That was a long time ago. Erik Karlsson was the best defenseman in the league when Murray won his last cup. Things change.

Murray, today, is a jekyll and hyde starter. He's capable of having a great game, but can also sink you in the first 10 minutes.

He'd be fine in a platoon with another established goalie. As a starter? No way.

Reactions: ijif

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

How long until that "ring credit" expires though? Injuries can have a cumulative effect too and at some point, even if healthy, he may have lost too much of a step even though the rings are on his resume.

Reactions: DrEasy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Why on earth would LA move Grans ? He’s just starting his ELC and is waiver exempt for 3 year. Makes no sense.
I don't know that they would, he's a RD that I wanted to draft & think he would fit on a future Sens team, that's all. And I think he is a better long term fit than Chychrun who has a number of question marks.

Reactions: GCK

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Not really how it works. That was a long time ago. Erik Karlsson was the best defenseman in the league when Murray won his last cup. Things change.

Murray, today, is a jekyll and hyde starter. He's capable of having a great game, but can also sink you in the first 10 minutes.

He'd be fine in a platoon with another established goalie. As a starter? No way.
It actually is how it works. He has two rings. He won them.

Murray is a gut transitioning styles that has struggled with his health. His health struggles have been both mental (concussions) and physical

In my mind if he can put his health struggles clearly behind him, he can definitely win a 3rd cup. I certainly hope that won't be for the Leafs.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
It actually is how it works. He has two rings. He won them.

Murray is a gut transitioning styles that has struggled with his health. His health struggles have been both mental (concussions) and physical

In my mind if he can put his health struggles clearly behind him, he can definitely win a 3rd cup. I certainly hope that won't be for the Leafs.

Having two rings in the past does not mean you're capable of winning another one in the future. That's pretty silly to say.

Erik Karlsson has won 2 Norris trophies. I don't think anyone would say he's capable of winning another one based on the player he is today.

Murray has been "transitioning" styles since the 19/20 season. At some point, you are who you are.

He's at best a platoon goalie, and at this stage of his career, should be a back-up who can come in 25-30 times. He's not capable of playing 50+ regular season and then 20+ playoff games.

And let's call a spade a spade, his inability to stay healthy is in large part his own fault. Kevin Weekes said it the other day. He should have put on 10-15 pounds over the course of the last few years and focused on transforming his body. He does not have the physical strength or stamina to handle a starter's workload.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
I think a Kleven - Grans 3rd pairing would be an ideal young tandem for the team's future, obviously neither are ready yet, but both I think are close within two yrs IMO. I doubt they go that way & will likely have one of JBD & Thomson on the team soon enough. I like Scott Mayfield too & he is a UFA that could be available at the TDL, he would definitely fill a need to finish the yr at the least & may not be all that expensive.

Guennette should be an interesting guy to watch this yr to see if he can up his game to challenge those two & get his name in the mix. They need something at RD whether it's more skill or more size & toughness remains to be seen or both. I don't think Chychrun fits our needs & they should be trading for need & Scott Mayfield before the TDL makes the most sense IMO. One of JBD & Thomson, most likely JBD should replace Hamonic for next season.
What about this trade with Kings?
Merilainen for Grans

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Scott Mayfield RD is a UFA & if the NY Islanders are not in a playoff race could be available at the trade deadline for an affordable price. He would be a good fit on the 3rd pairing as a shutdown D that can also drop them if necessary. He would definitely make Ottawa's D bigger, tougher & harder to play against since he is a decent shutdown defenceman that could help reduce the goals against which they need to do. Could become Forsberg's best friend. They also need Talbot to get healthy & play like he did last yr when he was an allstar.

What about this trade with Kings?
Merilainen for Grans
I like Merilainen, but I like Grans more, I'd do it in a heart beat.

Reactions: kinghock

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Scott Mayfield RD is a UFA & if the NY Islanders are not in a playoff race could be available at the trade deadline for an affordable price. He would be a good fit on the 3rd pairing as a shutdown D that can also drop them if necessary. He would definitely make Ottawa's D bigger, tougher & harder to play against since he is a decent shutdown defenceman that could help reduce the goals against which they need to do. Could become Forsberg's best friend. They also need Talbot to get healthy & play like he did last yr when he was an allstar.

I like Merilainen, but I like Grans more, I'd do it in a heart beat.

Kings really need good goalie prospect and have enough RD prospects.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
I would take all 3 in a heart beat at these prices.

In a sense yea, but imagine the Sens stink it up which is obviously a possibility given the state of our defence, our division, and how fragile our goaltending position is to start the season.

Trading a 1st for Roy and that 1st ends up in the top 10 would be grounds for firing. Would have to be a heavily protected 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad