Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Giroux still 60/40 to Ottawa. I wonder if that’s why they are desperately trying to move Matt Murray as per Seravelli.
Very likely.

Murray is eating up a considerable amount of cash. Getting rid of him is absolutely necessary if we want to keep improving the roster.

Unfortunately anyone interested in trading for him is well aware of it so that makes Dorion's already hard sell that much harder. I wonder if that is why it looks like the plan was to first trade Murray and then go after upgrades: downgrade our first round pick to 16th but give up Greig or Formenton along with the 16th pick to get DBC?

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Ehhh… when his contract expires and he is a UFA able to go ANNNYYWHERRRE.

Like the pressure Calgary is facing now with Matthew and JG… yes , I know Matthew is a year away from UFA.
I mean, you do you... but Brady's signed til 2028. Feels a bit pointless to worry about something so far in the offing when there's so much hockey still to be played between then and now.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There

Like the pressure Calgary is facing now with Matthew and JG… yes , I know Matthew is a year away from UFA.

So, 7 years from now?

Yeah, that's nothing to worry about at the moment.

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
Any thoughts on RHD Colin Miller whose a free agent from Buffalo. They seem to think he was worth a 2nd at the trade deadline.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I mean, you do you... but Brady's signed til 2028. Feels a bit pointless to worry about something so far in the offing when there's so much hockey still to be played between then and now.

I didn’t bring up Brady - but thanks for your insight.

So, 7 years from now?

Yeah, that's nothing to worry about at the moment.

The other guy is two years. It’s not meant to be “Brady’s contract”. We have and will continue to have expiring contracts and players reaching UFA. Next up is ? Brown, Hamonic , than Cat, Z etc. most will move on just like EK, Stone, Pager, Dzingle, Duchene, Paul all did.

I can’t remember who the last in house UFA we signed ? Maybe Anderson? Maybe Ryan?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
There isn’t room for Pinto at 3C, Formy, and Greig at 3LW.

Greig is cheaper and projects to be better two way hockey player willing to do what it takes to win games as an elite third liner.

Formy’s all breakaways,
Flybys, and goals
And I suspect he’s looking for lots of $$$.

Joseph’s last contract should be a model for Formy but I bet he snubs his nose at that.
Formenton Pinto Grieg Problem solved

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Including Forms in a deal to get a legitimate top 4 would be a difficult decision for me as I really like Formenton and what he brings.

His speed is elite and he is always dangerous on the PK.

Having said that we desperately need a top 4 defender

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Think this could work for a Murray trade ?
I will use "Team X" for any team willing to retain 50% of his contract.

To Ottawa
5th

To Team X
Murray + 2nd

2nd Trade

To Toronto
Murray @50%

To Team X
3rd

So Team X gets a 2nd + 3rd for a 5th and retaining 3.125mil in cap for 2 years and 7.5mil in salary.

Toronto get Murray who they are supposedly interested in, at a reasonable 3.125mil cap hit for a 3rd.

Ottawa gets rid of Murray opening up salary to maybe sign Giroux if he is willing to come here 6.5x3 ?
We could also retain 1 to 2 mil and adjust the picks given and received, but Toronto still pays a 3rd.

Thoughts ?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Any thoughts on RHD Colin Miller whose a free agent from Buffalo. They seem to think he was worth a 2nd at the trade deadline.

He's a guy I'd file under "acceptable back-up plan". But I worry that he will get overpaid and too much term. Would probably rather Tyler Myers for that reason, and he's already a back-up plan.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
He's a guy I'd file under "acceptable back-up plan". But I worry that he will get overpaid and too much term. Would probably rather Tyler Myers for that reason, and he's already a back-up plan.
I thought of Jan Rutta as a back up plan if other options fall through. Other targets would be better of course. TBL are struggling with cap now.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I'm guessing Murray's money is going to Norris. That leaves Formenton, Joseph, Brannstrom + another goalie to add to $58.8M of estimated salary expenditure next year. Another defenseman and Giroux on top of the RFAs takes us close to $80M in real salary. Zaitsev and MDZ recoups another $4.75M if you can dump them straight up without taking any money back (somewhat likely since Zaitsev's bonus is paid). Maybe if Brown is included in the trade for the top 4 D you can swap $4M.

We'll probably end up somewhere in the $72-$74M range in real salary depending on how effectively they can offload some of the dead weight.
We have 76M in real dollars apparently.

59M so far on 8 Fs 7 D and 2 goalies

Add Norris, Formenton, Joseph 9M.

Add Kastelic 1M

Add Giroux 7M

That’s 76M with 13Fs

Remove Zaitsev -2.5M

Add Marino 3.5M

Add Thomson, JBD or Brannstrom 1M

That’s 78M 13Fs 8D

Add Gus 1M

Remove Murray (buyout if necessary) - 4.5M

That’s 75.5M

Tkachuk Norris Batherson
Debrincat Stu Giroux
Formenton Pinto Brown
Joseph Kastelic Watson
Gambrel

Chabot Zub
Sanderson Marino
Holden Hamonic
Brannstrom
Del Zotto

Forsberg
Gus

Likely lose a player or 2 to acquire Marino so costs go down as Kelly would be up with the team.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Interesting, interesting...

Totally unrelated, but what did you predict as the result of Brady's last negotiation? You seem to be very confident in your predictions so I can only assume you got that one right, too.

I thought of Jan Rutta as a back up plan if other options fall through. Other targets would be better of course. TBL are struggling with cap now.
Rutta is another back-up option for sure... I am worried about him getting super overpaid though and am not sure he's a true upgrade on Hamonic. IMO Ruutta would be a great add as a long-term 3RD solution, with this upcoming year a more "transition" year... but the addition of Debrincat may make addressing 2RD right now a priority.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Interesting, interesting...

Totally unrelated, but what did you predict as the result of Brady's last negotiation? You seem to be very confident in your predictions so I can only assume you got that one right, too.

Rutta is another back-up option for sure... I am worried about him getting super overpaid though and am not sure he's a true upgrade on Hamonic. IMO Ruutta would be a great add as a long-term 3RD solution, with this upcoming year a more "transition" year... but the addition of Debrincat may make addressing 2RD right now a priority.
Would prefer better options & higher end defenders myself. Decent defenders, especially RDs are tough to get though. Hamonic has only one year left on his contract iirc, so I'm thinking a little more long term. Having said that, I hope we do get something better for the 2nd pair RD slot.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Would prefer better options & higher end defenders myself. Decent defenders, especially RDs are tough to get though. Hamonic has only one year left on his contract iirc, so I'm thinking a little more long term. Having said that, I hope we do get something better for the 2nd pair RD slot.
Oh he'd be a fine add for sure. Just think it would be a situation where we go 1yr with Ruutta/Hamonic as "#2.5" RDs, let Hamonic walk, and then look for a legit top 4 RD to bump Ruutta to 3RD. I wouldnt mind that at all, but the team seems to be trying to be more aggressive and acquire those "finishing touch" pieces ASAP.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Oh he'd be a fine add for sure. Just think it would be a situation where we go 1yr with Ruutta/Hamonic as "#2.5" RDs, let Hamonic walk, and then look for a legit top 4 RD to bump Ruutta to 3RD. I wouldnt mind that at all, but the team seems to be trying to be more aggressive and acquire those "finishing touch" pieces ASAP.
This is a good year to target teams with cap issues for sure, so I am definitely all for identifying targets using this methodology. PD should aim high for sure and see what happens. I'm a little surprised we didn't do that more in the 1st COVID year as there was a glut of unsigned players sitting around just 3 weeks or so before game 1.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Are you seriously worried about resigning Brady in 7 frigging years lmao.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Including Forms in a deal to get a legitimate top 4 would be a difficult decision for me as I really like Formenton and what he brings.

I’d rather just use Greig or one of the other prospects to get it done

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I didn’t bring up Brady - but thanks for your insight.

The other guy is two years. It’s not meant to be “Brady’s contract”. We have and will continue to have expiring contracts and players reaching UFA. Next up is ? Brown, Hamonic , than Cat, Z etc. most will move on just like EK, Stone, Pager, Dzingle, Duchene, Paul all did.

I can’t remember who the last in house UFA we signed ? Maybe Anderson? Maybe Ryan?
Holden was a UFA when they signed him for another yr, although he should be gone by this yr's deadline. Other guys they need to upgrade on are Zaitsev, Kelly, Brannstrom, Watson, Hamonic & Gambrell. Watson & Hamonic could also be gone by the TDL.

Reactions: Cosmix

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Having Greig who is as fierce but with more finish softens the blow, but Formenton will be a 1000 game player in the NHL, hope they keep him

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You think they can get those 3 done for $9m? Tampa traded Joseph because they knew they weren’t going to be able to afford his extension. Norris probably looking at $7-8M and I think Formenton has a case for $3ishM
Cash spend this year not cap hit. The Sens have generally structured deals to escalate.

Norris 7 years AAV of 7.5 could look like

22/23 4.5
23/24 5.5
24/25 7.5
25/26 8
26/27 8
27/28 9.5
28/29 9.5

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
We have 76M in real dollars apparently.

59M so far on 8 Fs 7 D and 2 goalies

Add Norris, Formenton, Joseph 9M.

Add Kastelic 1M

Add Giroux 7M

That’s 76M with 13Fs

Remove Zaitsev -2.5M

Add Marino 3.5M

Add Thomson, JBD or Brannstrom 1M

That’s 78M 13Fs 8D

Add Gus 1M

Remove Murray (buyout if necessary) - 4.5M

That’s 75.5M

Tkachuk Norris Batherson
Debrincat Stu Giroux
Formenton Pinto Brown
Joseph Kastelic Watson
Gambrel

Chabot Zub
Sanderson Marino
Holden Hamonic
Brannstrom
Del Zotto

Forsberg
Gus

Likely lose a player or 2 to acquire Marino so costs go down as Kelly would be up with the team.

No way in hell are we getting Norris, Formenton and Joseph for 9M. Norris is probably getting 7M, Formenton 3M and Joseph 2.5M. That's about 3.5M more than you've priced in, which is exactly Brown's salary.

If we're bringing Grioux in, we're likely moving Brown out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad