Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Ya I mean I'm down but it's gonna cost us our first next year and then some. I really wanted to try and keep our first next year. Also all the Formenton talk in here I really don't want to give him up either I think we are just beginning to tap into his potential. I also don't want give up Greig or Pinto so I have no idea how I'm going to be happy acquiring a top 4 d man lol.
Getting Debrincat does give us more flexibility to give up a forward for help on defense.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Getting Debrincat does give us more flexibility to give up a forward for help on defense.
Ya 100% and I fully expect that's what will happen. Beggars can't be choosers, I am just high like most on Formenton, Greig and Pinto. Which is who I suspect teams with solid top 4 D men available will want.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It's quite funny reading someone say all the bad things about a player, in this case Formenton, and soon after say "he'll ask for too much and price himself out of Ottawa".

Only one of those can be true bud. In this case AF isn't yet in a position to make demands, especially with allegations in the background.

I thought it was obvious how a player can be good at one price and not another - for example EK is a nice dman but he’s a waste of money at $11.5 with negative value on his contract . See Matt Murray etc.

Formy is a nice piece at the right price, and like every player can price himself out of his position with a team. Just ask Colin White, he’s a nice piece but not one wants to play a 4-5th liner $5.25 million. That money is probably better used in the top 6 or top 4 D.

Ridley Greig projects be be a better two way player and is probably close to at least replacing Formy on the third line - formy feels he’s more of a scorer than a defender and that 2LW slot belongs to Brady now.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It depends on the opposing team though. If you’re dealing with Pittsburgh for the Marino example, then Formenton is likely more valuable to them than Greig as a team that has a very limited window and aging core.

Also, from the way Dorion was talking about the logjam at centre when White was bought out, it seems like the org also sees Greig as a centre even at the NHL level. So I’d say on that note, it would be pretty valuable to have Greig play LW and be able to shift him to centre when we have injuries to Pinto, Stützle or Norris. Formenton can’t do that. And lastly, Greig is going to be cheaper than Formenton while on an ELC.

I’d trade Joseph over Formenton but he plays RW which is not a strong position for us, and I doubt he has the same trade value.

We have a ton of organizational depth at LW so if you’re dealing from a position of strength, I can see why Formenton would go. But I certainly wouldn’t trade him for the sake of moving him, would only do it for a solid top 4 RD because we badly need one and they are so tough to acquire.
Good points. Sens want to do their best to contend for a spot this year .. if that is the case and it sure seems like it.. I am keeping Formenton in the lineup if I can.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
The only way I'd consider trading Formenton is if we got a return like Chicago did for Hagel. I'd use one of those first rounders as part of a package for a dman. I think we'd get more value trading him for futures and using that vs trading him for someone directly.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It depends on the opposing team though. If you’re dealing with Pittsburgh for the Marino example, then Formenton is likely more valuable to them than Greig as a team that has a very limited window and aging core.

Also, from the way Dorion was talking about the logjam at centre when White was bought out, it seems like the org also sees Greig as a centre even at the NHL level. So I’d say on that note, it would be pretty valuable to have Greig play LW and be able to shift him to centre when we have injuries to Pinto, Stützle or Norris. Formenton can’t do that. And lastly, Greig is going to be cheaper than Formenton while on an ELC.

I’d trade Joseph over Formenton but he plays RW which is not a strong position for us, and I doubt he has the same trade value.

We have a ton of organizational depth at LW so if you’re dealing from a position of strength, I can see why Formenton would go. But I certainly wouldn’t trade him for the sake of moving him, would only do it for a solid top 4 RD because we badly need one and they are so tough to acquire.

Great points - add contract demands and possible London Golf involvement and it makes a lot of sense to consider moving Formy to improve the hockey team.

No one’s giving us a top 4 RD for Joseph or Brown.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Been thinking that if there is a Murray deal with Toronto, the Sens might take back Justin Holl who the Leafs seem to want to move in an effort open up playing time for some of their younger defensemen.

He's not exceptional by any means, but he's a huge upgrade on Zaitsev. Small cap hit, small salary [2M] and likely allows the team to preserve some of it's prospect and draft capital. Also gives you another year to potentially bridge to Thomson or JBD. Something to consider I guess.

If you do that deal, add Giroux, move Brown for futures to recoup what you give up to dump Zaitsev and you've got a pretty good looking roster...

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
DeBrincat-Stutzle-Giroux
Formenton-Pinto-Joseph
Kelly-Kastelic-Watson
Gambrell

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Holl
Brannstrom-Hamonic
Holden

Forsberg
Gustavsson

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Why not Malkin in Ottawa? If Bowman is as good as he appears to be this would a natural fit

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I like Tanev and Calgary is in tough with the cap, they could be interested in some of our cost controlled middle 6 talent.

How about Savard or Larsson? Both from rebuilding teams that could take on Zaitsev with some kind of asset going back.
Savard is actually worse than Zaitsev

Reactions: Xspyrit

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Unfortunate but true. Being a London guy is really not helping either. Not surprised given the uncertainty of it all that he doesn't have a contract yet. Don't see any long term commitments on new deals to any of these guys until the situation is resolved one way or another.
That’s why I’m worried. WJC team members and some other CHL players, in June.

Reactions: BigRig4

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Not sure how popular it would be, but would Dylan Strome be a decent pick-up if we miss out on Giroux? He already has chemistry with Debrincat and apparently they're somewhat close. Unfortunately he's pretty much non-existent defensively and I think you're going to need some of that on a line with Jimmy and Debrincat.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Not sure how popular it would be, but would Dylan Strome be a decent pick-up if we miss out on Giroux? He already has chemistry with Debrincat and apparently they're somewhat close. Unfortunately he's pretty much non-existent defensively and I think you're going to need some of that on a line with Jimmy and Debrincat.

That's a big NO THANKS from me.

I was worried he'd end up being our consolation prize this offseason, so now that we went and caught the big Cat, there's really no need to go for Strome. To me it's Giroux or bust from here on out at forward. Obviously a top-4 D is the biggest priority though.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It’s a rumour, nobody knows if it’s true

It boggles my mind how some people believe everything they read

And get sucked into a headline … there could, and probably would be multiple other pieces….

It’s like reporting that Chicago is in talks to trade Cat to Ottawa in a deal That involves a second round pick.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I agree with the concept .. just not that the player that is earmarked to move is Formenton.
If I’m Pittsburgh I’m starting at Pinto + JBD/Thomson/Brannstrom + Formenton for Marino

If I’m Ottawa I counter with 50% retained Brown + Brannstrom.

Middle ground would be Formenton + one of the D IMO.

Reactions: Sweatred

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Jakob Chychrun for Ott's 1st in 2023 (top-5 protected), Alex Formenton and Erik Brannstrom

I think I just have a hard on for speed in the lineup like @Xspyrit does for physical play.

Xspyrit? Are you mistaking me for Aragorn or Raffi Bomb? I'm a goalie and I don't care much about physical play. I like hockey IQ and skill. I love players like Pavel Bure and Nicklas Lidstrom for example

He's too slow for the wing and we don't have any spot at Center. Pass

If I’m Pittsburgh I’m starting at Pinto + JBD/Thomson/Brannstrom + Formenton for Marino

Damn, that's quite the ask... I would hang up the phone as it is significantly more than what Ottawa paid for DeBrincat

I value Pinto as a top-10 pick, Formenton as a top-15 pick, JBD/Thomson as late firsts and Brannstrom as an early 2nd

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
We’re not getting Marino without moving a piece that helps PiTT and that’s Pinto. Hopefully we talk them down to Formy.

He’s prob The weakest they would go…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad