Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The Forsberg contract really sets a nice benchmark for Stutzle and Debrincat IMO. I realize they're younger, but a superstar just signed an 8 X 8.5, so that's where it theoretically should be in the realm of.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Once again we are turning our noses up at guys who have proven they can play in the league for guys with virtually no sample size.

Complete mischaractorization of the point.

In a salary cap world the guarantee of cost control does not require any sample size.

The senators have a ton of prospects. To say 2 or 3 are untouchable but for extremely unlikely targets is not "turning our noses up".

These guys don't need to be superstars to be valuable. Medium term Pinto and Greig play senators brand hockey and can be slotted anywhere in the line up at near no cost.

Yes a lot of people overvalue the possible over the certain. But that doesn't take into account all forms of certainty. And part of being a good GM is knowing when one of your lottery tickets is a winner.

Reactions: DrEasy and Tragedy

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Complete mischaractorization of the point.

In a salary cap world the guarantee of cost control does not require any sample size.

The senators have a ton of prospects. To say 2 or 3 are untouchable but for extremely unlikely targets is not "turning our noses up".

These guys don't need to be superstars to be valuable. Medium term Pinto and Greig play senators brand hockey and can be slotted anywhere in the line up at near no cost.

Yes a lot of people overvalue the possible over the certain. But that doesn't take into account all forms of certainty. And part of being a good GM is knowing when one of your lottery tickets is a winner.

I’m saying maybe Pinto and Greig strike out early on.

Zibanejad did until he didn’t. It’s not beyond the realm of possibility.

Slotting in guys, assuming they will fill those roles with no NHL experience, and that the team will improve as a result can be short-sighted.

Personally I’d like to see Greig in Belleville.

I don’t think it’s as simple as Greig>Formenton therefore Alex is expendable.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I’m saying maybe Pinto and Greig strike out early on.

Zibanejad did until he didn’t. It’s not beyond the realm of possibility.

Slotting in guys, assuming they will fill those roles with no NHL experience, and that the team will improve as a result can be short-sighted.

Personally I’d like to see Greig in Belleville.

I don’t think it’s as simple as Greig>Formenton therefore Alex is expendable.
Almost my last post was to say that it is good thing if Greig is in Bellville.

Still wouldn't package him for a large salary.

Also I'm of the opinion formenton is untradeable for time being.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think I just have a hard on for speed in the lineup like @Xspyrit does for physical play.

I don’t think Joseph makes Formenton redundant, I think he helps to make us very difficult to play against.

I was still a bit miffed about Duclair leaving. He didn’t have a great playoff, but he was reportedly injured.

I’m very high on Formenton’s brand of bottom six hockey, because it puts pressure on opposing defences leading to breaks, penalties drawn and just a general lack of comfort on the powerplay in particular.

As a tweener, ideally he’s in the bottom six which makes him more affordable, but he can certainly play with skilled guys in pinch due to slump or injury.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I think I just have a hard on for speed in the lineup like @Xspyrit does for physical play.

I don’t think Joseph makes Formenton redundant, I think he helps to make us very difficult to play against.

I was still a bit miffed about Duclair leaving. He didn’t have a great playoff, but he was reportedly injured.

I’m very high on Formenton’s brand of bottom six hockey, because it puts pressure on opposing defences leading to breaks, penalties drawn and just a general lack of comfort on the powerplay in particular.
And he doesn't shy away from the gritty physical style either. I absolutely do not want him traded, this kid is awesome.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sometimes you have to give to get - a Formenton for Marino trade for example would be a deal that i'd think both teams would be happy with.
Lets agree hypothetically we have to move an asset.
Why is it Formenton not Greig and not Joseph. I don't think Formenton should necessarily be on the top of that list. I get different people are going to favor one over another or project one to be better .. but that's just opinion. I like all 3 .. but why would the Sens move on from forms so soon? It seems like an odd time .. develop him... get him in the NHL for a season where he at least met expectations I would think. He's 22 with upside..
All 3 have upside. Formenton gives you an elite speed element. I'm keeping him.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Lets agree hypothetically we have to move an asset.
Why is it Formenton not Greig and not Joseph. I don't think Formenton should necessarily be on the top of that list. I get different people are going to favor one over another or project one to be better .. but that's just opinion. I like all 3 .. but why would the Sens move on from forms so soon? It seems like an odd time .. develop him... get him in the NHL for a season where he at least met expectations I would think. He's 22 with upside..
All 3 have upside. Formenton gives you an elite speed element. I'm keeping him.
I think all 3 are great skaters in their own right - just Formenton is Generational in this regard.

Ottawa has more third-line capable players than they do quality right-shot defenders. You're taking from a position of strength to improve a position of weakness, it's really as simple as that.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
It's quite funny reading someone say all the bad things about a player, in this case Formenton, and soon after say "he'll ask for too much and price himself out of Ottawa".

Only one of those can be true bud. In this case AF isn't yet in a position to make demands, especially with allegations in the background.

Reactions: Sensators

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think all 3 are great skaters in their own right - just Formenton is Generational in this regard.

Ottawa has more third-line capable players than they do quality right-shot defenders. You're taking from a position of strength to improve a position of weakness, it's really as simple as that.
I agree with the concept .. just not that the player that is earmarked to move is Formenton.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

If you have a third liner with a generational aspect in his play, I think it makes him valuable.

In my opinion, the fact that Formenton doesn’t score more is good for us, because it keeps his cost down.

We can’t have nine top-six forwards on the team, so we need bottom six guys that are elite in aspects of play that aren’t necessarily rewarded financially.

I think he was one of our most important forwards last year.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I have a feeling thongs will be quiet until after Wednesday, a lot of teams wanting to take on cap to reach the floor as well as teams needing to unload decent players to get under the cap or to free up cash to sign core pieces.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
A rookie with 18 goals (5 of them shorthanded, the rest ES because of very limited PP time), 100 hits, game breaking speed, crashes the net, he's a shit disturber. He could easily be a 30 goal scorer as he works on finishing.

I'd rather just give up a first Rd pick than trade him. If Grieg has a first or second season like this, we'd be dancing naked on the street.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
A rookie with 18 goals (5 of them shorthanded, the rest ES because of very limited PP time), 100 hits, game breaking speed, crashes the net, he's a shit disturber. He could easily be a 30 goal scorer as he works on finishing.

I'd rather just give up a first Rd pick than trade him. If Grieg has a first or second season like this, we'd be dancing naked on the street.
He's also only like 22 or something. Perfect third liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad