Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We should start shopping Connor Brown.

We're going to suck this year. Solid player, but likely won't be around when we're ready to compete. And he'd have quite a bit of value around the league, IMO, especially with a manageable $3.6M cap hit.

The Canucks need a shakeup. Benning has come and said that the room is fragile and needs help. But they're limited in options. They're not trading Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat or Garland. They can't trade OEL. And nobody will take Myers, Pearson or Hamonic.

That leaves Miller and Boeser. Miller is playing better and is cheaper. They'd probably rather move Boeser.

And what would help here? A trigger man to play with Stützle.

Simple - Connor Brown for Brock Boeser, straight up. Canucks get more character, a top 6 player who can pot 20 goals, and add cap space. We get higher upside.

I'd also offer him to the Rangers, who need a versatile top 6 RWer, and try to get Chytil.
This team needs veterans not less. The young players need support. They have plenty of young players and prospects. The guys that are here are important. Trade him at the deadline next year if you have to. Boeser is worth way more.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
The thing with Myers is the signing bonus hes owed. I think $5M this year and $5M in his last year.

I think Zaitsev for Poolman could be an option. He isn't owed any bonus money and hes owed the same total money as Z but goes on for 2 years longer.
Myers was already paid his bonus this year, so he's owed less $ than Zaitsev moving forward and only $1m more in bonus $.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don’t mind brown I like him I understand the idea behind trading him but I would keep him

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
C. Brown is a great player will be great when we are on a cup run but will he be worth the $4 Million + to keep him here?

Is a tough call only cause he is so versatile. If someone is ready to drop a 1st for him , he is gone and we will sign him later on if we want him back.

Paul will be another interesting situation, I think we probably value him more then most teams and but have a better idea of his true value also. Honestly the return on him may only be a 2nd round pick if we can't extend him.

Holden I would extend if things go well with him, based on our small sample size. However the number need to make sense that's for sure.

Zaitsev, Mete, Brown, MDZ, Holden, Teirney ect.... All available right now!

Reactions: NB613

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'd love to keep Brown, he's the type of vet who's work ethic can rub off on others but if we can get a 1st rounder, you take that deal. We're still in a straight out rebuild and need as much talent as possible. Paying Brown $4 million at what is most likely his last chance to cash out in free agency isn't the best idea imo.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I love Connor Brown but we should use this last draft at recouping serious assets for the future to plug in holes as contracts become an obstacle. This is a deep draft. We can nab a franchise/top line/top pairing talent in middle or bit later.

We can get a 1st for Brown.

That'll be 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders and 4 third rounders(I believe Tierney can be had for a 3rd) in a deep draft.

Someone with serious talent could fall or we could trade up and snatch like Chesley/Luneau/Ostlund/Casey etc.

Walking away with one of Savoie/Cooley/Geekie/Nemec and Luneau/Ostlund/Chesley would be kind of nuts.

But that means we will need to be serious players in free agency. Or trade a 2nd for someone.

Giroux/Kadri/Hertl/Trocheck + Giordano/Klingberg/Goligoski/Miller + Strome/Rust/Perron/Nichuskin/Burakovsky/Smith

Stutzle-Giroux-Smith/Bura
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-Pinto-Watson
Paul-Gambrell-Kelly

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Miller
MDZ-Thomson

In system: Savoie/Cooley/Geekie/Nemec/Miro + Luneau/Ostlund/Chesley + Boucher+JBD+Jarv+Sokolov+whatever

Do I trust Dorion to be this smart? Nah.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613 and DrEasy

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
If the Sens are competitive heading into the trade deadline next season, you can’t trade Brown at that point. The optics of finally having a team that can make the playoffs and selling off a good player would be horrible, so then you likely lose him for nothing.

That being said, I’d trade him this year and I think he gets a 1st pretty easily - we can use it as a trade chip to upgrade the team in the offseason.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I love Connor Brown but we should use this last draft at recouping serious assets for the future to plug in holes as contracts become an obstacle. This is a deep draft. We can nab a franchise/top line/top pairing talent in middle or bit later.

That'll be 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders and 4 third rounders(I believe Tierney can be had for a 3rd) in a deep draft.

Someone with serious talent could fall or we could trade up and snatch like Chesley/Luneau/Ostlund/Casey etc.

Walking away with one of Savoie/Cooley/Geekie/Nemec and Luneau/Ostlund/Chesley would be kind of nuts.

But that means we will need to be serious players in free agency. Or trade a 2nd for someone.

Giroux/Kadri/Hertl/Trocheck + Giordano/Klingberg/Goligoski/Miller + Strome/Rust/Perron/Nichuskin/Burakovsky/Smith

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-Pinto-Watson
Paul-Gambrell-Kelly

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Miller
MDZ-Thomson

In system: Savoie/Cooley/Geekie/Nemec/Miro + Luneau/Ostlund/Chesley + Boucher+JBD+Jarv+Sokolov+whatever

Watson way too far up in the lineup here. What he provides is replacement level. I really don’t understand that Watson love affair on this board.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Connor Brown reminds me of Ryan Dzingle. Similar situation and likely will go the same route. We will offer him a fair(ish) offer around 5x5 and it will be up to Connor and his agent of they want to accept it or try for Hyman money in free agency.

I think he re-signs, personally. He’s been in Ontario for so long I don’t think he will entertain the idea of moving. If he does get traded I also think the Dzingle return of two 2nds is the likely get, as I doubt many teams will be trading 1sts this year.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Connor Brown reminds me of Ryan Dzingle. Similar situation and likely will go the same route. We will offer him a fair(ish) offer around 5x5 and it will be up to Connor and his agent of they want to accept it or try for Hyman money in free agency.

I think he re-signs, personally. He’s been in Ontario for so long I don’t think he will entertain the idea of moving. If he does get traded I also think the Dzingle return of two 2nds is the likely get, as I doubt many teams will be trading 1sts this year.
I don’t think we are offering him that money after this current dea

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-Pinto-Watson
Paul-Gambrell-Kelly

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Miller
MDZ-Thomson

I like getting giroux while the high center we draft this year gets reps.

That likely sees pinto pushed down and Greig moved to win. I wouldn’t mind a high octane physical suffocating third line of Greig-pinto-Boucher in a couple years.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

The thing is, Dzingle doesn’t provide near the defensive prowess that Brown does.

Brown is an exceptional defender and PKer for this team, and when everyone is slotted properly can be the RW of a top tier checking/shut down line that can score goals.

Paired with Paul they create our top PK pairing as well, which again provides exceptional roster value.

He is a heart and soul player and I don’t think we should even consider trading him for a late first round pick. The odds aren’t great that they would ever be able to provide what Brown provides for us right now or over the next several years.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We should keep Brown.. He sets a great example of the work ethic DJ is all about and he is a positive contributor.
Good veteran leader.
His deal ends next year . I think they revisit then.

If a team is willing to overpay enough for anyone on the team that's a different story .

Reactions: Cosmix

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Nah keep brown he is the type of player to keep the sens should be selling off good players

we have enough cap space t make some moves
I think the issue is you have Norris and Stutzle coming up soon. Zub too.
Then Sanderson will want his payday. Does Connor Brown take a 3 year deal or is he going to want 7 years?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This team needs veterans not less. The young players need support. They have plenty of young players and prospects. The guys that are here are important. Trade him at the deadline next year if you have to. Boeser is worth way more.
An issue is when do we stop adding vets. When do we consider bath Tkatchuk Chabot zub norris THE vets. (I’m not saying it’s anytime soon) but at some point they have to be the vets for the team. I found we got into that issue with our last iteration where we seemed to never accept that turris karlsson stone zib WERE the vets. We didn’t need to add older guys for the sake of adding older guys. (Not saying Brown is one of these older guys)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Nick Paul needs a contract; expires at the end of the year.
Imagine being able to get more for Nick Paul than we did for Mark Stone.

Reactions: Loach

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I see a spot for Brown going forward on this team behind Batherson and possibly Sokolov (if he reaches his full potential).

I'd try to get him locked up for 4-5M on a 4-6YR deal. If he's asking for Hyman money (5M+ on a long-term deal), I'd trade him.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I said I'm all for shopping Brown, but if he's open to a reasonable extension then that would be okay too. Just don't want to end up paying him for what we saw last year and potentially be stuck with a bad contract.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
The thing is, Dzingle doesn’t provide near the defensive prowess that Brown does.

Brown is an exceptional defender and PKer for this team, and when everyone is slotted properly can be the RW of a top tier checking/shut down line that can score goals.

Paired with Paul they create our top PK pairing as well, which again provides exceptional roster value.

He is a heart and soul player and I don’t think we should even consider trading him for a late first round pick. The odds aren’t great that they would ever be able to provide what Brown provides for us right now or over the next several years.

This all sounds a lot like what we heard all over this board leading up to JGP being traded. I expect Brown to go down the same route, being traded at the 2023 TDL.

While I like the return for JGP I think we'd be better off right now had we kept him. Brown is similar in that regard as they are both ideal guys to help with the development of our young players.

I prefer JGP as a player to Brown but I still think we should be keeping Brown.

Reactions: NB613

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Brown will not be traded in 2023 trade deadline because we will be competing then. Even if we can't agree to an extension, we would look foolish to trade a great piece while in playoff hunt; and then we will risk losing him for nothing the following offseason.

The rationale for trading Brown this trade deadline is because 2022 draft is deep. It also allows us to allocate some of Brown's money in free agency for a more bonafide RW threat to play on top line with Stutzle. I would use the 3.6 to sign Paul to an extended deal and he Formenton and Pinto can make a great 3rd line.

Stutzle-xxxx-xxxx
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Paul-Pinto-Formenton
Kelly-Gambrel-Watson

Love Brown, but he can be replaced in the bottom 6. Theres a lot of pieces seemingly available this UFA, and with competent GMing we can nab two realllly solid top 6 pieces. Connor Brown at 3.6 vs Reilly Smith at 6 mil + 1st rounder and more.

If we have competent GMing, we will extend Connor Brown soon, or trade him by this trade deadline. He is likely to remain as he is producing now, he gains nothing from not signing an extension now unless Sens are the hesitant party.

I am very confident we can get similar to what we got for Pageau for Brown. 1+2+3. In a deep draft, we can use a piece or two of those down the line when we run into cap troubles.

I am ALL for keeping talent, especially one with Brown's work ethic and ability, but if we are bottom 5 come this trade deadline, we got bigger worries and need to make serious changes in off-season. We have very bottom 6ers, we need now top 6ers. The fact that there is a deep draft this year gives us a good opportunity to get a hell of a deal for Brown. I would trade Connor Brown for Ridley Greig straight up let alone add a 2nd and a 3rd.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Brown will not be traded in 2023 trade deadline because we will be competing then. Even if we can't agree to an extension, we would look foolish to trade a great piece while in playoff hunt; and then we will risk losing him for nothing the following offseason.

The rationale for trading Brown this trade deadline is because 2022 draft is deep. It also allows us to allocate some of Brown's money in free agency for a more bonafide RW threat to play on top line with Stutzle. I would use the 3.6 to sign Paul to an extended deal and he Formenton and Pinto can make a great 3rd line.

Stutzle-xxxx-xxxx
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Paul-Pinto-Formenton
Kelly-Gambrel-Watson

Love Brown, but he can be replaced in the bottom 6.

If we have competent GMing, we will extend Connor Brown soon, or trade him by this trade deadline. He is likely to remain as he is producing now, he gains nothing from not signing an extension now unless Sens are the hesitant party.

I am very confident we can get similar to what we got for Pageau for Brown. 1+2+3. In a deep draft, we can use a piece or two of those down the line when we run into cap troubles.

I am ALL for keeping talent, especially one with Brown's work ethic and ability, but if we are bottom 5 come this trade deadline, we got bigger worries and need to make serious changes in off-season. We have very bottom 6ers, we need now top 6ers. The fact that there is a deep draft this year gives us a good opportunity to get a hell of a deal for Brown. I would trade Connor Brown for Ridley Greig straight up let alone add a 2nd and a 3rd.
That can't really be banked on as a certainty. We hope.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
That can't really be banked on as a certainty. We hope.

Which is why we must act now. If we are bottom 5 by this trade deadline, we know the issue: lack of top 6 threat. Trade Brown for serious assets in a deep draft, then make SERIOUS changes this off-season to ensure that we are not in similar position next trade deadline.

Brown's 2 way ability and work ethic wont do shit for this team if we remain bottom 5/out of playoff hunt during years we should clearly be competing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad