Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Scoring winger is the easiest piece to acquire in the NHL. Paying premium assets doesn't make sense.

which is why im concerned that our interest is being telegraphed the way it is

the last time that happened it didnt exactly go well and we already have a tendency to overpay when we like the player

if we can get giroux get giroux otherwise stay the course for forwards and focus on adding a top 4 RD (and getting rid of zaistev)

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I just think you might be undervaluing Kleven, and Boucher for that matter as well. These are identity guys that fit the kind of identity the Sens are trying to build. They are prospects so sure there is uncertainty about what kind of players they will eventually become but the kind of players they could become is pretty appealing. If they reach their potential they will make a huge impact in the playoffs and be vital parts of cup runs.

Looking around the league, players like this are very hard to trade for. When they are proven to be successful teams are completely unwilling to give them up. If they do become available, which sometimes occurs in their free agency years, they cost a lot to trade for or require massive contracts to lock up. When a team drafts them they get at least a chunk of cost controlled years that other organizations don't get.

I think it is important to give these players a few years. With players that fit this style and have similar attributes it is probably a good idea to give them at least 2 years into their ELC before really questioning what kind of player they will become.

Perhaps, but that's why we're getting Crouse. Kleven and Boucher are a loooong way away. You are getting the player you describe in Crouse. In 2 years it will be too late to trade them if they bust. As mentioned, you gotta give something to get something. We have enough character guys. Boucher and Kleven are on the fringes of the core. They are expendable.

Reactions: bicboi64

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Perhaps, but that's why we're getting Crouse. Kleven and Boucher are a loooong way away. You are getting the player you describe in Crouse. In 2 years it will be too late to trade them if they bust. As mentioned, you gotta give something to get something. We have enough character guys. Boucher and Kleven are on the fringes of the core. They are expendable.
It's White & Brannstrom that are expendable not Kleven or Boucher. Ottawa already has Chabot & Sanderson who are both left shots, bigger & better players so they don't need Brannstrom who continues to be a defensive liability. They also don't need White since they have Norris, Stutzle & Pinto at centre & it would be helpful to rid themselves of his contract.

Acquiring Crouse would be to replace Watson who only has another yr on his contract & given that Crouse is bigger, tougher & better than Watson is an upgrade on the 4th line. Kleven is a Holden replacement & has nothing to do with Crouse given they play different positions. I also suspect that Boucher being a 1st rd pick will likely play on the 2nd or 3rd line RW probably eventually replacing C. Brown. So no they are not expendable Brannstrom & White are.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
They really aren't expendable though. We don't have other players like them in the system and there aren't a lot of players around the league like them. There are other physical players around the league or in the organization but there aren't a lot of open ice hitters that can hit the way Boucher and Kleven do. There are also a lot of physical players but not that many that can skate and have the speed of Boucher and Kleven. Both players also have some nice raw skill that is rare for physical players.

The Sens are building a team around a physical identity and while we have a lot of players who are willing to play physically we only have a few truly elite players in terms of physicality. Tkachuk is that primary guy in Ottawa currently and the other players we have at that level internally are Boucher, Kleven and Greig.

I don't know whether Crouse is the guy to target or not. I get your rationale of trading similar style prospects for similar style players. I don't know why we would trade our two most physical players though. But to be clear my argument is more focused on the value of Boucher and Kleven than the idea of trading for Crouse.

But even if we did trade for Crouse there are other assets we could part with as having Crouse as well as Boucher and Kleven would more fully embody the identity the Sens are trying to build.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
With this teams core starting to take shape, our b-level prospects that will crack this team at 925 will be more valuable than a top six player making north of 6m/year.

Yeah, of course not every b-level prospect on our shelf will make it to the league, but luckily for us we have a lot of them. Which is why players like Kleven, Boucher, & Sokolov are non starters for me barring an obvious trade win.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
They really aren't expendable though. We don't have other players like them in the system and there aren't a lot of players around the league like them. There are other physical players around the league or in the organization but there aren't a lot of open ice hitters that can hit the way Boucher and Kleven do. There are also a lot of physical players but not that many that can skate and have the speed of Boucher and Kleven. Both players also have some nice raw skill that is rare for physical players.

The Sens are building a team around a physical identity and while we have a lot of players who are willing to play physically we only have a few truly elite players in terms of physicality. Tkachuk is that primary guy in Ottawa currently and the other players we have at that level internally are Boucher, Kleven and Greig.

I don't know whether Crouse is the guy to target or not. I get your rationale of trading similar style prospects for similar style players. I don't know why we would trade our two most physical players though. But to be clear my argument is more focused on the value of Boucher and Kleven than the idea of trading for Crouse.

But even if we did trade for Crouse there are other assets we could part with as having Crouse as well as Boucher and Kleven would more fully embody the identity the Sens are trying to build.

I do understand the concept the team is trying to build, that's why Crouse is a good target. That's who replaces Boucher. If you read my previous post, I specifically said Crouse is what you hope Boucher becomes.

But I do disagree that we don't have prospects that are physical in the pipeline. I mean the whole past draft was mostly physical prospects (Roger, Romeo, Ostapchuk) as well as others in the system (Sokolov, Greig, etc), yeah maybe they are not as physical but still physical.

So who would you trade for Crouse? cause I hear a lot of whining and not much other input.

It's White & Brannstrom that are expendable not Kleven or Boucher. Ottawa already has Chabot & Sanderson who are both left shots, bigger & better players so they don't need Brannstrom who continues to be a defensive liability. They also don't need White since they have Norris, Stutzle & Pinto at centre & it would be helpful to rid themselves of his contract.

Acquiring Crouse would be to replace Watson who only has another yr on his contract & given that Crouse is bigger, tougher & better than Watson is an upgrade on the 4th line. Kleven is a Holden replacement & has nothing to do with Crouse given they play different positions. I also suspect that Boucher being a 1st rd pick will likely play on the 2nd or 3rd line RW probably eventually replacing C. Brown. So no they are not expendable Brannstrom & White are.

Yeah, you're not getting Crouse for White and Brannstrom. As you already made the point that we have Chabot and Sanderson on the LD, so Kleven is playing bottom pairing minutes. Boucher is trending to be a bust and we already have Batherson, Brown and Joseph on the RW. They are exactly expendable if you are getting Crouse. In any case the expendable argument is not that important. What is important that you are not getting Crouse for a 2nd, cap dump, and a former mid first rounder that hasn't panned out.

BTW, you are not getting Crouse to play on your 4th line. First of all he's a LW while Watson is a RW. Not ideal to move Crouse on the RW. Secondly, why are we spending all these assets for a fourth liner. Thirdly, he makes too much to be a 4th liner. He's a RFA which will most likely get 3M+ per year next year.

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
which is why im concerned that our interest is being telegraphed the way it is

the last time that happened it didnt exactly go well and we already have a tendency to overpay when we like the player

if we can get giroux get giroux otherwise stay the course for forwards and focus on adding a top 4 RD (and getting rid of zaistev)
I've had similar concerns. Seems like that's what happened with the Duchene trade.

Reactions: Loach

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Bran has very little value around the league. If we could get a pick above 50 I’d be surprised.
Regardless if we are paying a high price for anyone hopefully it’s a defensemen

Wingers should be easier to get

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
If fiala is too much then the sens should look elsewhere . Getting a top 6 winger shouldn’t be something that we break the bank for. If we are trading brann or pinto it should be for a chrychrun not a fiala. You can find 2nd line wingers in the summer for teams who are in cap trouble
You wouldn't trade Brannstrom for Fiala?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
You wouldn't trade Brannstrom for Fiala?
A lot of fans would I'd think. Its whether the Wild would is the question. I don't see Brannstrom as the main piece in a trade for Fiala if I am taking the Wild's perspective. JMHO.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
A lot of fans would I'd think. Its whether the Wild would is the question. I don't see Brannstrom as the main piece in a trade for Fiala if I am taking the Wild's perspective. JMHO.

I agree with this. Fiala probably costs us a 1st. Maybe a lotto protected 2023 first+Brannstrom?

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Where are we? What are we willing to give up? It's a strange spot to be in. For 5 years we have been invested in our picks and prospects and now it seems we will have to part with some good ones. The worry for me is that PD makes another Duch trade. This is a real posibility I think. People want to keep Brown, but the money and length of contract might be restrictive. Would people move Formenton in the right deal if Brown where able to be extended? Forms seems to be a player that our system has other players in the same mold. A cap team might pay a fair bit for him looking at what cost controlled 2nd 3rd line tweeners have been traded for. I like Formenton, don't get me wrong, I'm suggesting that trading him is something the system could obsorb. Does Formenton, Brann, 2nd, 2nd/3rd get us a decent player? Would people be comfortable moving out those assets?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

I agree with this. Fiala probably costs us a 1st. Maybe a lotto protected 2023 first+Brannstrom?

Where are we? What are we willing to give up? It's a strange spot to be in. For 5 years we have been invested in our picks and prospects and now it seems we will have to part with some good ones. The worry for me is that PD makes another Duch trade. This is a real posibility I think. People want to keep Brown, but the money and length of contract might be restrictive. Would people move Formenton in the right deal if Brown where able to be extended? Forms seems to be a player that our system has other players in the same mold. A cap team might pay a fair bit for him looking at what cost controlled 2nd 3rd line tweeners have been traded for. I like Formenton, don't get me wrong, I'm suggesting that trading him is something the system could obsorb. Does Formenton, Brann, 2nd, 2nd/3rd get us a decent player? Would people be comfortable moving out those assets?
If we have a trade that is focused on picks, I think a 1st is likely the main piece. If a prospect (or ELC) is the main piece, I think it will take one of our better prospects (exclude Sanderson). Then I'd think there will be another (one or more) add on piece.

I think it depends on what other teams are in the mix that are also interested in Fiala's services. How many other potential suitors will there be, and what are they prepared to offer? That's not an easy question to answer, but its at the heart of this matter.

The idea that some seem to have that I'm willing to offer Brannstrom as the main piece doesn't seem particularly applicable imho.

Reactions: Loach

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
The Duchene deal isn’t even that bad at the time

The problem was we decided to rebuild like 3 months after getting him ….

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
The best wingers the Sens have signed or traded for in the past 15 years is Micahlek (for a 50g-50a player), Duclair and Clarke MacArthur.

If it were easy to grab a scoring winger, we are absolutely terrible at it. About time we get a good one.

Hey, don't forget C. Brown. But yeah, adding a bonafide top 6 winger is not easy to do if you're not parting with really good assets.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Adding Fiala to our top 9 would be awesome

The contract makes me nervous though

I'd grab him if it's ~ 7.25.

He's 25 and hasn't hit 30 goals once, nor has he cracked PPG. Also not known for 2 way game. I think that's good enough justification for about 7 mill.

If he wants over 7.5, we're better off adding an extra 1.5 and giving 9 million to a true multifaceted gamebreaker like Filip Forsberg.

Or packaging our 1st+Brannstrom+JBD/Thomson+2nd(i'd even think long about sending Greig or a solid prospect) for Keller.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
My dream target is Filip Forsberg but I think he'll get a $9 million deal somewhere and I think that might be more than what we can afford. Having said that, If we did get him for that price, we solve a lot of problems.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Anyone who wouldn't trade Brannstrom for Fiala is insane.
I would certainly trade Brannstrom for Fiala. But that wasn't what I was talking about.

Who is "anyone" (kind of vague)? If you are talking about fans, sure I agree.

I was talking about what the Wild want in a trade from Ottawa. That's a different topic.

And, I didn't say the Wild would not want Brannstrom either. I was just saying they'd want more, at least imho.

Reactions: NB613

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Is DJ averse to playing wingers on thier off wing? I haven't really looked for it. Is it a player or coach thing?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Everyone who isn't on the NHL roster outside of Sanderson (who effectively is on the roster but hurt) and every pick should be in play.

The raises for Norris, Stutzle and Zub are just around the corner. We can't really wait; don't do anything stupid but if there is a time to swing for the fences, it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad