Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
No trade for me that involves our drafted future core contributors. Pinto, Greig, Thomson, et al. I could see something for Fiala based around Brannstrom plus, but not the prospects pushing for next year. 1st top 10 protected as a minimum. Prefer to keep it.
Can’t protect a pick once the lottery is done, which it will be.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Kleven isn't expendable. He is going to be a core part of our d corps in the future.

We shall see. IF he makes it, he'll be a bottom pairing D behind Chabot and Sanderson. He won't be playing too many minutes. You can pick up a cheap UFA to play 13 min a game on the bottom pairing.

Reactions: NB613

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We shall see. IF he makes it, he'll be a bottom pairing D behind Chabot and Sanderson. He won't be playing too many minutes. You can pick up a cheap UFA to play 13 min a game on the bottom pairing.

If he's a bottom pairing guy he'll be cheap whether he's our own draft pick or not.

I do agree that Tyler Kleven is not what I would call expendable.

Reactions: bert

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
If he's a bottom pairing guy he'll be cheap whether he's our own draft pick or not.

I do agree that Tyler Kleven is not what I would call expendable.

Yeah he'll be cheap, but you gotta give something to get something. If you want Crouse you'll need to give some good pieces. I think Boucher and Kleven are still good pieces according to other teams. I'm not sold on either one. He's "expendable" as in the team won't feel much if he is gone. Again, you can get another UFA to play PK and 13 min on the bottom pairing.

Reactions: NyQuil

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
The core of the 3rd pair 10-15 mins of ice time with Sanderson and Chabot playing 25 minutes each.

I honestly think Kleven still has a ways to go before he can even be considered replacement level NHL player. He's a typical 2nd round pick. 50/50 he ever plays more than 200 NHL games. I'm not totally sold that Crouse has figured it out but I'd definitely trade Kleven in a package for him.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Can’t protect a pick once the lottery is done, which it will be.
I hesitate if it’s not Top 10 protected. I see a drop off after 10 that I could live with. I’d rather lose a Brannstrom plus say 2022 and 2023 2nd plus White. I could even bite on Brown and Brannstrom plus if that would work. I just get the feeling the request will be much more significant.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
We'll need to buy out White. And it's not that he's been bad, I haven't minded his game, but Formenton, Joseph are the small potatoes coming up for contracts, Brown is coming, Norris is the big one, then Stutzle is a huge one, and Zub will be bigger than we think, I'm sure. Plus we need to add a winger - in theory anyway - and we need to shoot Zaitsev to the moon and try for another Zub.

Actually Formenton could make a case for decent money if he is dead against a bridge. Lots of ts to cross this summer and we have....Dorion.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
No trade for me that involves our drafted future core contributors. Pinto, Greig, Thomson, et al. I could see something for Fiala based around Brannstrom plus, but not the prospects pushing for next year. 1st top 10 protected as a minimum. Prefer to keep it.
Brannstrom plus small adds won't get it done I'd guess. There will be other teams interested in Fiala that the Wild will be talking to.

And you can't protect the pick like your are stating (the concept) because draft lottery will occur before the trade season will occur. I suspect another poster will chime in & mention that.

If we are being realistic, to get a player like Fiala, the Senators will be giving up something that will hurt and that most fans will react to with an "ouch".

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If we are being realistic, to get a player like Fiala, the Senators will be giving up something that will hurt and that most fans will react to with an "ouch".

We are used to our own team never getting any of their top pieces in return in our trades that we think it will work with other teams.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
We are used to our own team never getting any of their top pieces in return in our trades that we think it will work with other teams.
Perhaps yes. Minnesota needs to get assets back that won't cost much money (not Connor Brown even if we retain I'd guess). That means prospects, ELCs, and picks. That will help us no doubt, but potential trading partners from multiple teams will realize this and be prepared to give something up that's pretty decent I'd think. Hope for the best obviously.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
If fiala is too much then the sens should look elsewhere . Getting a top 6 winger shouldn’t be something that we break the bank for. If we are trading brann or pinto it should be for a chrychrun not a fiala. You can find 2nd line wingers in the summer for teams who are in cap trouble

Reactions: NB613

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
We'll need to buy out White. And it's not that he's been bad, I haven't minded his game, but Formenton, Joseph are the small potatoes coming up for contracts, Brown is coming, Norris is the big one, then Stutzle is a huge one, and Zub will be bigger than we think, I'm sure. Plus we need to add a winger - in theory anyway - and we need to shoot Zaitsev to the moon and try for another Zub.

Actually Formenton could make a case for decent money if he is dead against a bridge. Lots of ts to cross this summer and we have....Dorion.

I think White is very tradeable to Arizona. Not sure how much the return would be or if the Sens would need to add but he's not that bad a player, nor is his contract horrible. This isn't Bobby Ryan at the end of his Sens tenure. They can definitely get rid of White without a buyout.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If fiala is too much then the sens should look elsewhere . Getting a top 6 winger shouldn’t be something that we break the bank for. If we are trading brann or pinto it should be for a chrychrun not a fiala. You can find 2nd line wingers in the summer for teams who are in cap trouble
Bran has very little value around the league. If we could get a pick above 50 I’d be surprised.

Reactions: The Expert

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO a future Sens team will need Kleven once Holden is gone, whereas they don't need Brannstrom with Sanderson & Chabot on the left side & they won't need White with Norris, Stutzle & Pinto playing centre. Crouse has 34 pts this yr so he knows how to put it in the net as well as hit & fight & the team will need him once Watson is gone. This team needs to upgrade it's bottom six as well as the 3rd pairing D if they plan on being a SC contender at some future point. The pieces are slowly coming together, just need a couple more.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I just think you might be undervaluing Kleven, and Boucher for that matter as well. These are identity guys that fit the kind of identity the Sens are trying to build. They are prospects so sure there is uncertainty about what kind of players they will eventually become but the kind of players they could become is pretty appealing. If they reach their potential they will make a huge impact in the playoffs and be vital parts of cup runs.

Looking around the league, players like this are very hard to trade for. When they are proven to be successful teams are completely unwilling to give them up. If they do become available, which sometimes occurs in their free agency years, they cost a lot to trade for or require massive contracts to lock up. When a team drafts them they get at least a chunk of cost controlled years that other organizations don't get.

I think it is important to give these players a few years. With players that fit this style and have similar attributes it is probably a good idea to give them at least 2 years into their ELC before really questioning what kind of player they will become.

Reactions: aragorn

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I say stay the couse. I think our youth project really well, and they're going to gets paid.

The Paul for Joseph trade was a good hockey trade that saved us cash and filled a weaker RW slot. These are exactly the kind of deals we should be targetting. Aim for guys with less hype that are buried down the depth charts of stacked teams.

If CBrown prices himself too high, he's the guy I'd be looking to move in a similar deal next season.

Reactions: bicboi64

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
IMO a future Sens team will need Kleven once Holden is gone,

I think this is the strongest argument behind keeping Kleven and letting him cook. Unless we're getting an immediate team need, Kleven might be a defender to keep in development as he might be ready once Holden is no longer a Senator.

Reactions: NB613 and aragorn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad