Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Not sure why this guy keeps getting on teams

With Chara gone they probably brought this guy in to clear the front of the net, block shots, hit & drop the gloves occasionally. I'm quite sure they don't want McAvoy dropping them. I doubt he gets a lot of ice time, wasn't he a former 1st rd pick?

Oral64

Aug 17, 2020
Gudbranson and Reilly's contract expires at the end of the season. Tierney is under contract next year (2021-22).

If those players are attractive enough to other teams, at least their contracts aren't onerous (from a term perspective).

Then there's Anisimov who's contract is finished this year. There's also Coburn & Josh Brown if any team wants them.

So, what players are most likely to get traded, and what is the expected return?

Tierney is at least worth a second rounder. Colin White's pleasant surprise this year, combined with the likelihood that Stutz, Norris and Pinto will form the top 3 centres next year would suggest that Tierney is surplus at some point.

Four D-men currently on the roster - Coburn, Gub, J. Brown and Reilly - should be moved to make room for JBD and Thomson, followed by Sanderson and Kleven. The latter four possess all the tools to greatly improve the Senators blueline both defensively and offensively.

Anisimov is obviously gone. What a waste of salary cap.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Tierney is at least worth a second rounder. Colin White's pleasant surprise this year, combined with the likelihood that Stutz, Norris and Pinto will form the top 3 centres next year would suggest that Tierney is surplus at some point.

Four D-men currently on the roster - Coburn, Gub, J. Brown and Reilly - should be moved to make room for JBD and Thomson, followed by Sanderson and Kleven. The latter four possess all the tools to greatly improve the Senators blueline both defensively and offensively.

Anisimov is obviously gone. What a waste of salary cap.
I think I'd hang on to Gudbransson. I don't think Lassi or Kleven are ready. Aspirot is closer.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I think I'd hang on to Gudbransson. I don't think Lassi or Kleven are ready. Aspirot is closer.

I rather get a better dman and hide zaistev on the third pairing, or potentially two dmen if management doesnt like wolanin anymore

Chabot-XXXX
Brannstrom-Zub
XXXX/Wolanin-Zaistev

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Gudbranson is absolutely horrendous. He should not be back next year. Seems like a great guy but we need someone better. JBD should be a candidate for his spot and there's gonna be a whack of D moving around before the expansion draft we can target.

Reactions: NB613 and cudi

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I rather get a better dman and hide zaistev on the third pairing, or potentially two dmen if management doesnt like wolanin anymore

Chabot-XXXX
Brannstrom-Zub
XXXX/Wolanin-Zaistev

Why not just keep Zaitsev on the top 4 until Sanderson/JBD join the team? Is it worth spending assets to get a top 4 defenceman when we have two great d prospects? I think I'd prefer trading for forwards or picks.

Edit: After thinking about it and what the expansion draft rules are I don't really have a problem with acquiring a top 4 guy. Even though I'm pretty optimistic that we got the future top 4 guys in the organization.

Last edited:
Reactions: thesensguy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Goal for Dorion (or hopefully he's replacement) should be to add a top 4 RD this summer.

Chabot - Zaitsev
Sanderson - ?????
Brannstrom - Zub
Brown

I expect they'll re-sign Gudbranson because he's a local guy, a veteran, has an A on his chest and cross checks guys, despite being objectively a terrible hockey player.

Probably will re-sign him for a year or two as a stop gap until JBD is ready. You know Thomson is going to get a ton of opportunities too given his 1st round selection.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Gudbranson is absolutely horrendous. He should not be back next year. Seems like a great guy but we need someone better. JBD should be a candidate for his spot and there's gonna be a whack of D moving around before the expansion draft we can target.

Gudbranson is absolutely fine as a bottom pair D. He is being asked to do way too much, play huge minutes and against top players. He also has to carry Brannstrom defensively.

Of course he hasn't been superb.

Oral64

Aug 17, 2020
Expendable D:

J Brown
Coburn
Gub
Reilly
Wolanin
Aspirot
Guenette
Tychonick

Future D:

Chabot
Brannstrom
Zaitsev
Zub
JBD
Thomson
Sanderson
Kleven

We need to package some of our blueline depth - the expendables - to land a quality RWinger, IMO.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Like it or not, Josh Brown will stay. The team needs to expose one under-contract D who meets the games-played minimums. Brown is that guy.

I also think that if Tierney is not traded prior to the ED he should be protected/kept. Losing him for nothing at the ED would be poor asset management.

Assuming they trade/protect Tierney and expose Watson in the ED they will also need to acquire one more F who meets the criteria.

Wolanin’s struggles also open up a potential D slot at the ED, so as others have said teams with 4+ good veteran D signed should be targeted as trade partners (Buffalo, Calgary, Carolina, Colorado, Minnesota, St. Louis, Washington)

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Expendable D:

J Brown
Coburn
Gub
Reilly
Wolanin
Aspirot
Guenette
Tychonick

Future D:

Chabot
Brannstrom
Zaitsev
Zub
JBD
Thomson
Sanderson
Kleven

We need to package some of our blueline depth - the expendables - to land a quality RWinger, IMO.
The expendables aren’t getting anything of quality.

Should move Thomson + for an upgrade anywhere if we’re looking at moving a D

Reactions: DrEasy

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Gudbranson is absolutely fine as a bottom pair D. He is being asked to do way too much, play huge minutes and against top players. He also has to carry Brannstrom defensively.

Of course he hasn't been superb.
Yeah, i agree. He's okay in his role and I'd be okay with resigning him. He's certainly better than Brown or Coburn. If a UFA replacement is an option I'm okay with that too. But I think we're a bit too weak on d prospects right now to hope to replace him internally.

Reactions: DJB

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Why not just keep Zaitsev on the top 4 until Sanderson/JBD join the team? Is it worth spending assets to get a top 4 defenceman when we have two great d prospects? I think I'd prefer trading for forwards or picks.

Edit: After thinking about it and what the expansion draft rules are I don't really have a problem with acquiring a top 4 guy. Even though I'm pretty optimistic that we got the future top 4 guys in the organization.

So while we have great prospects they need to do step up and earn it. Plus this year has shown that while the kids need to get minutes to play they do need some insulation and we can't expect Chabot to do it all. Especially since his play has kind of been meh this year and thst might be the reason for it.

It's essentially the dorion strategy for this year but we target players with skill

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Gudbranson and Reilly's contract expires at the end of the season. Tierney is under contract next year (2021-22).

If those players are attractive enough to other teams, at least their contracts aren't onerous (from a term perspective).

Then there's Anisimov who's contract is finished this year. There's also Coburn & Josh Brown if any team wants them.

So, what players are most likely to get traded, and what is the expected return?
Reilly should return a 3rd.
Coburn might get us a 5th - 7th
I think Gudbranson stays and probably gets resigned after the expansion draft
Maybe a 4th for Dzingel.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
So while we have great prospects they need to do step up and earn it. Plus this year has shown that while the kids need to get minutes to play they do need some insulation and we can't expect Chabot to do it all. Especially since his play has kind of been meh this year and thst might be the reason for it.

It's essentially the dorion strategy for this year but we target players with skill
Chabot is gonna break down if this continues. We need more capable NHL defensemen. They're gonna break him like they broke Karlsson. Would also like to see Zub get a bigger role. Thatd a help a ton.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If Dorion gets a 3rd for Reilly Ill give him a pass on the 2nd for Stepan, lol.
Yeah, we got a 3rd for a legit guy in Demelo last year. Anything above a 6th for Rielly and I’d be very pleased. We traded a 5th for him last year, and I don’t see how he’s possibly increased his value.

Honestly can’t see many playoff teams wanting a guy like him, even for depth. He’s not the type of D you see playoff teams trading for. If you’re bringing in depth, the last thing a team usually trades for is a guy who could have a shift where it looks like he forgot what sport he was playing and is directly responsible for a goal against, then has a few passable shifts mixed in. Teams want consistency with depth pieces, and they want a guy to fill a role. No clue what role Rielly fills.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Reilly should return a 3rd.
Coburn might get us a 5th - 7th
I think Gudbranson stays and probably gets resigned after the expansion draft
Maybe a 4th for Dzingel.
Who is giving up a 7th for the healthy scratch Coburn that we had to be paid a 2nd to take from Tbay... Maybe if we're lucky we can be the ones giving up a 5th-7th for someone to take him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad