Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XIXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
WE should go after Jason Spezza. We should've gone after him summer of 2019 before he signed with the Leafs.
I thought he looked great all season and especially in the playoffs. Man, for me it's a no brainer.
He's obviously still hungry and keeping himself in top shape.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
WE should go after Jason Spezza. We should've gone after him summer of 2019 before he signed with the Leafs.
I thought he looked great all season and especially in the playoffs. Man, for me it's a no brainer.

If we can dump Tierney I'd be thrilled to bring Spezz back.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
What do you think happens to Brannstrom when Sanderson arrives? Do you think they will move him to his offside given that DJ doesn't seem to want to do that? Would Brannstron be able to beat out JBD and/or Thomson on the right side long term given they could both be better defensively? And from what we have heard doesn't it also seem like DJ prefers Mete over Brannstrom? Maybe those are just rumours, but we could know more if they re-sign Mete as to what their plan is with this defence. It's still a work in progress IMO.

Brannstrom and Mete played 14 games together down the stretch. The team went 10-3-1 with Brannstrom (18:27) as the #4 and Mete (17:27) as the #5.
Then Chabot and J.Brown got hurt and Brannstrom (22:31) & Mete (23:03) had to play a lot more to cover their injuries. The team went 4-1-0 in the last 5 games that Chabot missed.

This should dispel any myths that we can't win with both Brannstrom and Mete in the lineup.

Nothing, Brannstrom will be playing.

Next season, Sanderson might play a handful of games on the bottom pairing. Similar to JBD, but he'll play regularly because he's a better prospect.
In the 2022-23 season, Sanderson will play full time on the bottom pairing behind Brannstrom. Which will also be an improvement over JBD, because he'll be in the AHL next season.
The year after that, Sanderson may compete for a top-4 job, but considering the fact other contracts are up and Brannstrom will have established himself as one of the higher scoring defensemen in the league... there are lots of possible options 3 years from now.

Sanderson will not step onto NHL ice in his first game and be a star. He's also not going to easily dislodge Brannstrom from the PP in his first season, IF he ever does.

DJ didn't want to use Brannstrom on the right side in his rookie season. There's no telling if that will change. Also, players regularly outlast coaches on NHL teams.
No, Brannstrom played more in their 14 games together. Mete only started playing more in the last 5 games because he was moved up to replace Chabot, because Brannstrom-Zub was the only existing pairing after Chabot & J.Brown got injured.

There's no way that any NHL team is trading a 21yo, likely PP QB in the NHL for the 20th overall pick, that has approximately a 1/3 chance of ever being an NHL'er.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005

If my memory serves, Spezz didn't want to be here, he wants to be on a contender. Poor choice picking Toronto..

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
if the quote in the article is accurate "but he’s an OK bet on a three or four year deal in the range of $5.0 to $6.0 million per season, say three years at $6.0 million per or four years at $5.0 million per. " then sign me up

otherwise no thanks

Yeah I think there is very little chance he signs that deal but I'd be happy to have him at that cost.
I don’t think dubas trades anyone big. It’s just not smart.

I mostly agree, but I could see them revamping the D a bit. I think there's a very good chance Kerfoot and Dermott are moved, and, knowing Dubas, I could absolutely see him going hard for Jones.

If a big name is moved, I expect it will be Reilly or Nylander. If Reilly is going to ask for 8+m, they may be better off extracting value for him... most teams can fit him at that cost without much issue, but if I'm TML, I know I don't have the luxury of committing true #1 money to a guy who is probably on the low-end of #1s. I'd look at a team like Calgary who might be set to lose a good D to Seattle... do they entertain a trade in which they send Hanifin & Giordano for Reilly + a fwd/expansion exempt D? How about Anaheim? It's a specific circumstance, but Reilly with an agreed-upon extension could allow them to add depth in the short-term while saving money in the long-term. I'd imagine the same could be true of Nylander. Either way, I think building with only next year in sight is a bad move. They can still compete, but the next 1-2yrs should be about building their team slowly and deliberately into one that can roll 4 lines, 3 pairings, and really take control of a series... and then another... and then another... and then another. They are miles off from that right now

Reactions: TheNewEra

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Same BS that was said about Tampa a couple years ago after they got swept by Columbus. Was also said for a decade about the Caps before they won. Turns out even with a lot of skilled players it's hard to win a cup.

This is such a terrible take.

Let's look at Tampa's playoff history in their competitive window from 2013-14 until present with Jon Cooper as HC:

Missed the playoffs once
Lost in the first round twice
ECF 4 times
SCF twice
1 Cup win

Already in the 2nd round this year and looking strong to make the ECF, at least.

And you want to compare that to Toronto who haven't won a first round series in 5 years? That's insane.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
In the last 4 years, over more than 250 games, RNH has averaged 66 points/ 82 games playing primarily as a shutdown center for Edmonton. If Pageau can get a 6 years x 5M contract then I have no doubt RNH would easily get 7 x 6M.

A guy that can play 2nd line minutes and be good at both ends of the ice is extremely valuable. Especially when you see the guy puts up very solid numbers. We're in a time where guys like Kevin Hayes get paid 6M+ a year so RNH should get that no problem with the limited availability of centers on the market and teams always looking to add guys down the middle. RNH is in that Norris mold and I would not hesitate to give Norris that type of contract if he keeps up his play.

I don't necessarily want him here partly because of that and how such a contract could potentially backfire but he's probably one of the best options out there right now. Kuzy is nice but with the questions surrounding his behavior and effort I don't see the team going for him.

Like others have said I think the best option is to wait for an opportunity to make a good hockey trade. We don't absolutely need to add a center for next season, we still have Norris, Pinto, White, Tierney. Some more attractive players will inevitably become available as the next season unfolds but for RNH he will get a nice contract IMO.

Pre-covid world I would have agreed 100% with this, I would have probably wrote it myself and for also more money. Please note the date of where the contracts you have named as examples were signed (Pageau : February 24, 2020, lol just before the pandemic. Hayes : June 18, 2019)

The thing is covid happened and totally changed the NHL market (and world). A lot of teams didn't see it coming (like everybody) and their budgeted salary cap was structured based on the expectation that it would keep rising. Maybe I'm wrong but I have been hearing that it's going to be a hard cap for another 4-5 years. The NHL and most teams now have to recover from the lost revenues for more than a season. Unless Bettman is totally lying, they lost billions this year by deciding to have a season.

That being said, I would be totally open to sign RNH if the deal was 4-5 years, but 7 years is risky as we see many examples of players declining in their early 30's, even more than before. The league is younger than ever, RNH is already 28. If you commit 7 years, it takes him to 35 y/o

A team with big balls like Vegas would do it but I doubt they'd be able to find the cap space going forward. Same with Toronto and Rangers for example. If they'd have the space and need, they would certainly do it as worst case scenario, they have the finances to buyout a contract or two without really hurting.

A team might still want to commit 7 years to him (particulary those who are poor at drafting and need talent), but you have to eliminate all the teams that are fine at the center position for years to come (or think they are) and all those who won't have the cap space in the short and medium term, not just next season.

Our team could become costly very fast (Chabot, Sanderson, Stutzle, Norris, Batherson, Pinto, etc), we have to be extremely careful on how we spend. Already made some mistakes with Murray, Dadonov, White, Zaitsev...

All that being, I agree with the end of your post, that trade might be the best way to go as you could get a guy with less term but that is a cap casualty on a deep team. A guy for example that has 3-4 years left, might be a bit "overpaid" but could still be a good veteran gap for 2-3 years (not a Stepan gap)

He doesn't want to play here anymore, like it has been the case since 2013. In fact, he ONLY wants to play in Toronto or he will just retire. He is 38 years old (in 12 days) and made plenty of money already.

There's no "should" here.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Why would he sign here? He was good in Toronto and they'll likely offer him a contract and it was his lifetime dream to play there.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
In the last 4 years, over more than 250 games, RNH has averaged 66 points/ 82 games playing primarily as a shutdown center for Edmonton. If Pageau can get a 6 years x 5M contract then I have no doubt RNH would easily get 7 x 6M.

A guy that can play 2nd line minutes and be good at both ends of the ice is extremely valuable. Especially when you see the guy puts up very solid numbers. We're in a time where guys like Kevin Hayes get paid 6M+ a year so RNH should get that no problem with the limited availability of centers on the market and teams always looking to add guys down the middle. RNH is in that Norris mold and I would not hesitate to give Norris that type of contract if he keeps up his play.

I don't necessarily want him here partly because of that and how such a contract could potentially backfire but he's probably one of the best options out there right now. Kuzy is nice but with the questions surrounding his behavior and effort I don't see the team going for him.

You have to look at his PP production vs. his ES production in terms of the past season.

Playing on that first unit has a big impact on his underlying numbers. Norris still has room to improve and he outproduced RNH at ES in his first season.

I think he's going to regress and he's not going to be worth his next contract, and he won't be as sheltered as he is in Edmonton on a lot of teams.

I don't really see enough of an improvement over what we have to warrant throwing money and/or assets at him.

Reactions: Masked and Boud

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
**** Spezza. The guy was so good for Toronto and best I have ever seen him in all areas of the ice outside of those 5 games in 2013. You can tell guy was trying hard cause he was playing for his hometown team.

That said, if he going to play for us the way he played for Toronto last year, then hell ya bring him back; but I feel he wont.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I will settle for Spezza in our front office once he retires, feel like he’d bring some respectability back to the org with his knowledge and people skills.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
This is such a terrible take.

Let's look at Tampa's playoff history in their competitive window from 2013-14 until present with Jon Cooper as HC:

Missed the playoffs once
Lost in the first round twice
ECF 4 times
SCF twice
1 Cup win

Already in the 2nd round this year and looking strong to make the ECF, at least.

And you want to compare that to Toronto who haven't won a first round series in 5 years? That's insane.

What's insane is arguing that the reason the Leafs choked is because they didn't have enough useless veterans to provide intangibles and leadership, when they had plenty of vets that didn't help them win hockey games.

Reactions: Cosmix

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
You have to look at his PP production vs. his ES production in terms of the past season.

Playing on that first unit has a big impact on his underlying numbers. Norris still has room to improve and he outproduced RNH at ES in his first season.

I think he's going to regress and he's not going to be worth his next contract, and he won't be as sheltered as he is in Edmonton on a lot of teams.

I don't really see enough of an improvement over what we have to warrant throwing money and/or assets at him.

I'm an advocate for simply going with an open tryout between White, Pinto, Brown, Tierney to jockey for position behind Norris and see if anybody steps up for the 2nd line center job. But I can see the value in an RNH signing.

He won't cost assets, only money. Though I would top out around $6M and for no longer than 5 years. Also, if the team went down this road, I'd want it combined with a move to jettison either Dadonov or White to make it a little more cost neutral.
He'd be the only playmaking center that we have, unless a miracle occurs with respect to Logan Brown.
He played in the league for 4 years before McDavid did and averaged a 60 point pace (in lower scoring seasons than the past few).
He can play a solid 200 foot game.
He would allow the team to create two 1B lines immediately. Something like Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson and Stutzle-RNH-C.Brown

Reactions: Sweatred and Cosmix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad