Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XIXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I wonder if we look to trade Brannstrom this offseason. I am skeptical about his upside and he should still hold a fair amount of trade value. I also think Mete has outperformed him and potentially made him expendable. If Brannstrom could be a primary part of a package to acquire a player like Matthew Tkachuk, or someone of equivalent talent, I would certainly consider it if not jump at the opportunity to make such a trade.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I wonder if we look to trade Brannstrom this offseason. I am skeptical about his upside and he should still hold a fair amount of trade value. I also think Mete has outperformed him and potentially made him expendable. If Brannstrom could be a primary part of a package to acquire a player like Matthew Tkachuk, or someone of equivalent talent, I would certainly consider it if not jump at the opportunity to make such a trade.

I also certainly see a path to Brannstrom being traded. While he got more chances after the trade deadline I thought DJ’s comments on him were pretty telling. Even after his 3 point game DJ sounded more effusive about Mete than EB. I’d certainly think twice before finalizing a trade. He improved significantly in the last few weeks and we were seeing some offensive confidence from him.

I’m also unsure of his ultimate upside but his skill set is still valuable. Depending on whether they bring in another defenseman this offseason, I’d be concerned about the sens depth among PP options if he were traded. If Chabot goes down again and Brannstrom is traded, Mete on a first unit would be a bad option which could well cost the sens some key points for a run to the playoffs.

All that said he’s far from untouchable, I just hope Dorion thinks long and hard before pulling the trigger.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
Expose Zaitsev. Losing him might set us back next season, but getting rid of that contract now will help when we are contenders in 2 seasons. He is likely untradeable without retaining some contract, so an expansion claim sets the future and allows a higher evaluation of some other guys to see if they can handle top 4. Melnyk will never buy him out, so we are stuck with wasted dollars otherwise.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Pierre Dorion should be legally barred from any player trade acquisitions. He can still sell players, we have no choice there.

When he "acquires" a player?

1. Zibanejad - Terrible, brutal trade.
2. Burrows - Bad trade.
3. Duchene - Terrible, brutal trade.
4.. Namestikinov - Meh .
5. Mike Reilly - Good trade.
6. Josh Brown - Meh.
7. Matt Murray - Bad trade.
8. Gudbranson - Bad trade.
9. Stepan - Bad trade.
10. Watson - Meh.
11. Dzingel - Meh.

Just terrible.

Reactions: h2owned and Cosmix

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Nice to see Brannstrom has become our new Zibanejad.

The same logic being used to justify trading Brannstrom is very similar to what fans used to say about Zibanejad, until he got traded and people went "oops".

Not really, Zibby was a 50 point two way center who showed flashes of being a legit 1C - we didn't have anybody ahead of him, and Dorion made a horrendous trade

Brannstrom will not pass Chabot or Sanderson so getting ahead of the fact that this guy is slotted as a bottom pairing dman for this team is a good idea.

But obviously, you have to get a good return - i.e don't trade him for a shitty middle aged player. I don't see him as a long term piece here and his value should still be high

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I like Brann but I’m open to the idea of dealing from a position of strength and continually stock piling prospects and pics (low cost survival strategy)

Brann should be dealt when he would represents a PP1 DMaN to the team acquiring him. That should secure multiple picks and prospects.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Pierre Dorion should be legally barred from any player trade acquisitions. He can still sell players, we have no choice there.

2. Burrows - Bad trade.
4.. Namestikinov - Meh .
6. Josh Brown - Meh.
9. Stepan - Bad trade.
10. Watson - Meh.
11. Dzingel - Meh.

Just terrible.

Way too harsh with your evaluation. He's (pro scouting staff included) not great at pro scouting - signing bad vets
BUT, overall Dorion's been fine. Zib trade is the only one that looks bad (but only in hindsight)
Stone trade is still up in the air; he didn't want to stay through a rebuild

Reactions: Sens9292

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

2. Burrows - Bad trade.
4.. Namestikinov - Meh .
6. Josh Brown - Meh.
9. Stepan - Bad trade.
10. Watson - Meh.
11. Dzingel - Meh.

Just terrible.
Pierre Dorion, the only GM in the league who has to hit homeruns on depth players.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Way too harsh with your evaluation. He's (pro scouting staff included) not great at pro scouting - signing bad vets
BUT, overall Dorion's been fine. Zib trade is the only one that looks bad (but only in hindsight)

The Zibby trade was horrendous the moment it was made - hindsight has nothing to do with it.

Won’t comment on the others.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

The same logic being used to justify trading Brannstrom is very similar to what fans used to say about Zibanejad, until he got traded and people went "oops".

Or Brännström could be the next Rundblad. I like Brännström and would rather not trade him, but at this point we can't be certain how he will develop.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If Brannstrom transitions over to RD...

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Brannstrom
Kleven-Thomson/JBD

Could be mighty, mighty.

I'd only trade Brannstrom for one hell of a talent and I doubt we do that this summer unless we really go big game hunting for a legit young number 1 C. Then sure.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Not quite the same. Brannstrom is small for a D and therefore vulnerable to big forwards in front of the net and injury. So if a decent trade could be made to upgrade elsewhere to get a bigger better player for Brannstrom plus, I would consider it. Zibby and a 2nd for Brassard was a Dufus trade.

Reactions: IlTerrifico

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Pierre Dorion, the only GM in the league who has to hit homeruns on depth players.

If he hit a homerun once, it would counteract some of his brutal, franchise altering failiures.

Lots of teams have good, small acquisitions that turn into good players.

At least when Dorion sells a player he sometimes hits. Between, Brassard, Stone, Duchene, Karlsson, Hoffman, and Karlsson he's whiffed, hit, walked, and hit homeruns.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Stone trade was and always will be atrocious.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
But he's SMALL!
and he can't defend as well as Mete .. and he is good offensively but no star.. and his defensive game does not scream move me to the right side. When he goes to his backhand now, he gets into trouble and he has issues moving the puck on his backhand... Go to the big ice .. sure .. more time and space and its all about that.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
The Zibby trade was horrendous the moment it was made - hindsight has nothing to do with it.

Won’t comment on the others.

Agree to disagree. Zibby wasn't a 1C with us and didn't show signs of becoming one.
I still don't buy his ridiculous point totals; I think they're inflated

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Agree to disagree. Zibby wasn't a 1C with us and didn't show signs of becoming one.
I still don't buy his ridiculous point totals; I think they're inflated

We traded a young 50 point player for an older 50 point player and added a second.

It was a moronic trade that was almost certainly motivated by budgetary considerations. We acquired a player no better than the player we traded away, and the departing player was still developing.

Reactions: DrEasy and Cosmix

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
We traded a young 50 point player for an older 50 point player and added a second.

It was a moronic trade that was almost certainly motivated by budgetary considerations. We acquired a player no better than the player we traded away, and the departing player was still developing.

It was possibly motivated by budgetary considerations; I didn't call it a failure then because we acquired a proven top-6 C who was proven to produce in the Playoffs. In hindsight it is absolutely a brutal trade (not the worst in history), but had we won the Cup that year, this wouldn't even be a discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad