Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Yeah Tampa looks screwed. Yzerman really backed them into a corner by throwing out NTCs left and right. I mean for god's sake even Braydon Coburn has a NTC.

Unless Palat, Johnson or Gourde waive their NTCs - which they have no reason to do - they'll probably have to trade Sergachev or Cirelli, on top of Killorn.
That's one way to get guys to sign for less than market value.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
That's one way to get guys to sign for less than market value.

The NTC’s protect Tampa guys from being traded to teams they don’t like but more importantly districts with worse tax implications (every district) . That way Yzerman could sign them slightly lower than pure market value as long as he guarantees the sunshine and cash.

Worked great for him as he bailed before he had to resolve the back end of those promises.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The NTC’s protect Tampa guys from being traded to teams they don’t like but more importantly districts with worse tax implications (every district) . That way Yzerman could sign them slightly lower than pure market value as long as he guarantees the sunshine and cash.

Worked great for him as he bailed before he had to resolve the back end of those promises.

This is pretty much it. They take a big discount to be in Tampa because of taxes/contending, so they need assurance they will stay there.

I guess maybe Gourde would waive if they sat down his agent and explained that without Gourde waiving, he'd be bought out. The only problem with that, is someone would have to be willing to take on Gourde's contract. He is an undersized player. He is not a "playoff style" type player. He hasn't had a chance to show he can produce outside of Tampa's system, which combined with being a late bloomer will throw up red flags. He is also coming off of an unproductive season. A team would have to feel strongly about him to take on 5 years of term when there is so much uncertainty about the salary cap going forward.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I get doing it for Stamkos, Hedman, McDonagh, etc... but Gourde, Killorn and Coburn?

And they didn't take much of a discount when Gourde is making 5M, Killorn 4.5M and Coburn 1.7M.

Gourde is Tampa’s Colin White. Better tan, better history but stay away ...

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
This is pretty much it. They take a big discount to be in Tampa because of taxes/contending, so they need assurance they will stay there.

I guess maybe Gourde would waive if they sat down his agent and explained that without Gourde waiving, he'd be bought out. The only problem with that, is someone would have to be willing to take on Gourde's contract. He is an undersized player. He is not a "playoff style" type player. He hasn't had a chance to show he can produce outside of Tampa's system, which combined with being a late bloomer will throw up red flags. He is also coming off of an unproductive season. A team would have to feel strongly about him to take on 5 years of term when there is so much uncertainty about the salary cap going forward.

But does escrow apply to buyouts? If not, then he might make just as much being bought out and any new contract he takes on would be found money.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
But does escrow apply to buyouts? If not, then he might make just as much being bought out and any new contract he takes on would be found money.

I am fairly certain escrow applies to buyouts.

It doesn't apply if a player is buried, because they will be paid to play in the AHL not the NHL, and the AHL does not have escrow. So these high profile cap albatross players that end up in the AHL actually get a financial reward for failing to live up to their contract.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!

To be fair if I played in Tampa, or Ft Lauderdale, I’d want an NTC too.

short of probably California, you’re not gonna get the same level of hot weather pretty much 24/7.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I get doing it for Stamkos, Hedman, McDonagh, etc... but Gourde, Killorn and Coburn?

And they didn't take much of a discount when Gourde is making 5M, Killorn 4.5M and Coburn 1.7M.

Maybe Yzerman isn't the GM of the century.

Like Beville said above, the allure of living in Florida and getting those tax breaks on top of being fairly anonymous when you leave the rink practically sell players on the team long before any GM can pull out the contract papers.

Reactions: Sweatred

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Maybe Yzerman isn't the GM of the century.

Like Beville said above, the allure of living in Florida and getting those tax breaks on top of being fairly anonymous when you leave the rink practically sell players on the team long before any GM can pull out the contract papers.

Yzerman built a winning culture and aquired all those players in the first place.

Reactions: NB613

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Yzerman built a winning culture and aquired all those players in the first place.

The horses were in the stable when Yzerman took over. He gave them all what they wanted and left before he had to deal with the salary cap implications.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
The horses were in the stable when Yzerman took over. He gave them all what they wanted and left before he had to deal with the salary cap implications.

Yzerman added Kucherov, Point, Vasilevsky, McDonagh, Sergachev, Cirelli, Palat, Johnson, Gourde, Cernak, Joseph and Pacquette... the only significant players he didn't bring in are Stammer, Hedman, Killorn and Shattenkirk.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That winning culture hasn't won anything...and it looks like their window is closing.
Lol they went to the finals and the conference finals what are you talking about. Players want to be there.

The window is closing??? All their best players are in their prime or under 25, try again.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Lol they went to the finals and the conference finals what are you talking about. Players want to be there.

The window is closing??? All their best players are in their prime or under 25, try again.

Tampa has won a lot of games; that is a “winning culture”. Winning the SC is the cherry on top and requires a lot of luck including health during the playoffs.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Huh? Their best players are in their mid 20’s, and they continue to be one of the best drafting teams in the league.

I don't know about the last part. Their last 3 drafts have been really quite bad.

As someone who watches the Rockets quite a bit, I'd question the quality any scouting staff that thought Cal Foote was worthy of a top 15 pick with his skating issues and thought Nolan Foote was worthy of a top 30 pick.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I don't know about the last part. Their last 3 drafts have been really quite bad.

As someone who watches the Rockets quite a bit, I'd question the quality any scouting staff that thought Cal Foote was worthy of a top 15 pick with his skating issues and thought Nolan Foote was worthy of a top 30 pick.

Fair enough, but I think part of those decisions were on the basis that those guys are somewhat more NHL ready than the field. Also, they have continued to grab promising players outside of the 1st round, which has been a large part of their bread and butter:
Cajkovic, Crozier, Walker, Koepke, Volkov, Guttman... all guys from the last three drafts who are progressing decently well. They may not get a ton of NHLers or any legit impact players, but I think there's a good chance that they get a handful of solid players.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I'm getting a strong feeling that their core is getting stale. Yes, it's still a relatively young core, but when the weeds start to set in, it's hard getting them out.

All those NTCs mixed with that warm Florida air makes for a team that is very complacent. The NTCs were a fatal mistake. You want guys to constantly prove they want to be a part of a championship caliber team, not sit back and relax in the sun knowing they can't go anywhere for the length of their contract.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
How many trades do people think Ottawa will be involved in at the 2020 draft?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm getting a strong feeling that their core is getting stale. Yes, it's still a relatively young core, but when the weeds start to set in, it's hard getting them out.

All those NTCs mixed with that warm Florida air makes for a team that is very complacent. The NTCs were a fatal mistake. You want guys to constantly prove they want to be a part of a championship caliber team, not sit back and relax in the sun knowing they can't go anywhere for the length of their contract.
Uhhh so now youre punishing him for locking up the core? Youre just on a witch hunt with a fabricated flaw. They hadnt played meaningful hockey for months last year before the playoffs and faced a very good Columbus team. Doesnt mean they have lost it all of a sudden they are going to continue to be a contender for the forseeable future.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Uhhh so now youre punishing him for locking up the core? Youre just on a witch hunt with a fabricated flaw. They hadnt played meaningful hockey for months last year before the playoffs and faced a very good Columbus team. Doesnt mean they have lost it all of a sudden they are going to continue to be a contender for the forseeable future.

There is such a thing as becoming too comfortable and letting complacency set in.

Locking up the core with long-term contracts is one thing...adding NTCs or NMCs to those contracts is another. Without those added clauses, the guys would know that repeated failures would result in one (or more) of them being shipped off to a colder, higher taxed city. That one little difference definitely adds a bit more urgency to a players' game.

Reactions: Sweatred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad