Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
We thought the same thing last summer as well, and that didn't happen.

The problem is that in order to get those 'unbelievable' offers, the owner needs to give the GM the ability to take salary without giving anything back, and he has yet to show that. Every deal we do is either exact salary going back or we are paying someone to pay for the July bonuses. History shows that the owner is unable to do that and right now its just wishful thinking. He will look to get to the floor only and that's it, especially now with lost revenue due to the lowest season attendance numbers since he owned the team, and less revenue from the league sharing program that has been effected by the work stoppage.

If that was really our intention, to use our capspace to get assets then we would have been all over Marleau for a 1st rounder, imagine if we had TOs 1st right now, 4 1st rounders. We also had the opportunity to take Backes contract. There are rumors about Eriksson, but those rumors involve salary going back (Ryan).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Habs have some picks in the next 2 drafts ... Got a 2021 4th when Scandella signed with the Blues
EMUXnT.jpg

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I'd be absolutely furious if we traded the 2nd first rounder in a package for Dumba.
Really depends what else is in the package. The Wild’s next 3 1st round picks with no protection would certainly change the equation.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Really depends what else is in the package. The Wild’s next 3 1st round picks with no protection would certainly change the equation.

I can’t see Minny giving away future draft picks. They are 1-2 years behind our rebuild.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Not saying they will. Just pointing out that the rest of the package is an important consideration.

Makes sense. I just can’t see them giving up anything resembling future skill unless they wanted a quick rebuild where they may value Brown/Brann “almost ready, cost controlled” type players over future draft picks.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
Full disclosure from Wild fan - trade offers with Dumba and Brodin are not because they have low value but the opposite - they are the highest value piece that Wild have - in prime Dmen who could be top pairing on a different team.

Wild are desperate for a high talent center and are willing under Guerin to use its ammo stores to get one.

The point of a trade up to the 3rd pick would be to draft Rossi.

I don't think Dumba or Brodin are your most valuable assets. In my opinion, that would be Kirill Kaprizov.

For me, unless you are offering him up, I probably would not move a top 5 pick to your team.

In the end, I just don't think our teams are a good match.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Dorion has to sit Melnyk down and tell him this off season has fallen into the Sens lap, and if we spend to the cap, we could get star talent for pennies on the dollar.

It would help if he had a pie chart illustrating the potential cost per point windfall that could be gained.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Dorion has to sit Melnyk down and tell him this off season has fallen into the Sens lap, and if we spend to the cap, we could get star talent for pennies on the dollar.

It would help if he had a pie chart illustrating the potential cost per point windfall that could be gained.

That’s a $20 million increase. How do you anticipate EM makes up that $20 mill buying 4x$5 additional players (or whatever the combo is). He would have to sell 400 000 extra $50 tickets to break even or nearly 10 000 more a game . I get there are additional revenue sources and tickets over $50 but that’s is a lot of make up. It feels outside his comfort (financial ability) especially considering we still probably don’t make the playoffs with a $5 goalie, $8 dman, and $7 forward. We don’t exactly attract a tonne of talent. That’s like Jones, RNH and whoever on D.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017

It's a bad idea for so many reasons, but the best way to frame it is you'll get talent for cheap that has very bad contracts, and this will cripple your franchise for years, certainly long enough to compromise your window when all of your top talent hits their prime in the 3-7 year window.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Forget spending to the cap, even if Eugene agrees to hit the cap floor not using LTIR contracts we'd be well positioned to add a good player or two.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lafreniere-L. Brown-Batherson
Tkachuk-Norris-Stutzle
Duclair-Tierney-Ryan
Formenton-White-C. Brown

Lol, don't do this to me, bruv.

Im curious (genuinely) like who?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I don't think Dumba or Brodin are your most valuable assets. In my opinion, that would be Kirill Kaprizov.

For me, unless you are offering him up, I probably would not move a top 5 pick to your team.

In the end, I just don't think our teams are a good match.

I honestly cannot remember the last time a top 5 pick was traded. It feels like it just never happens.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Lol, don't do this to me, bruv.

Im curious (genuinely) like who?

danielpalfredsson will have a better grasp on things than me, but I can give you the basics.

Tampa and Toronto in particular are going to be in big cap trouble. Sergachev seems to make the most sense for us from Tampa, and in my opinion is the most likely target overall. Toronto will likely move Nylander, Kapanen or Johnsson; just one of Kapanen or Johnsson might not be enough, so Nylander could be a legit possibility.

I've seen Aaron Ekblad's name come up. But it will be up to Florida to decide how much of a bind they're in with the cap. They'll have a good amount of cap space to start, but Hoffman, Dadonov and Haula are UFA, and they only have 13 players signed next year. Trading Ekblad would be more about wanting to shake things up, as if they want to stick to the plan it would make more sense to move on from 30+ year olds Hoffman and Dadonov.

St. Louis is in a bit of a bind but the best fit there for us would probably be Vince Dunn. I would prefer Ekblad or Sergachev.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
danielpalfredsson will have a better grasp on things than me, but I can give you the basics.

Tampa and Toronto in particular are going to be in big cap trouble. Sergachev seems to make the most sense for us from Tampa, and in my opinion is the most likely target overall. Toronto will likely move Nylander, Kapanen or Johnsson; just one of Kapanen or Johnsson might not be enough, so Nylander could be a legit possibility.

I've seen Aaron Ekblad's name come up. But it will be up to Florida to decide how much of a bind they're in with the cap. They'll have a good amount of cap space to start, but Hoffman, Dadonov and Haula are UFA, and they only have 13 players signed next year. Trading Ekblad would be more about wanting to shake things up, as if they want to stick to the plan it would make more sense to move on from 30+ year olds Hoffman and Dadonov.

St. Louis is in a bit of a bind but the best fit there for us would probably be Vince Dunn. I would prefer Ekblad or Sergachev.

While it's true this offseason and the current cap situation is obviously going to be unprecedented, I'm thinking theres no chance any of those guys get traded for anything less than full value, and still not likely even then.

The league will help its biggest spenders and revenue generators in one way or another, I'm certain of that. And if teams need to shed salary (which is likely for some), we'll see some amnesty buyouts granted long before we see young stars being given away for peanuts due to cap constraints.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
While it's true this offseason and the current cap situation is obviously going to be unprecedented, I'm thinking theres no chance any of those guys get traded for anything less than full value, and still not likely even then.

The league will help its biggest spenders and revenue generators in one way or another, I'm certain of that. And if teams need to shed salary (which is likely for some), we'll see some amnesty buyouts granted long before we see young stars being given away for peanuts due to cap constraints.

Not peanuts, but forget about the covid and cancelled season, Toronto and Tampa were going to be in nightmare cap situations already. Wouldn't be fair to the rest of the league to bail them out because of this. We can debate about what the price will be relative to market value, but there is no debating that Sergachev and one or two of those Toronto forwards will be available. And the Sens should be in on Sergachev hard.

Reactions: Ed Wood

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
There might also be teams who, while not in cap trouble, might have to cut payroll because of the loss of expected revenues from the playoffs.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I'm not a big Logan Brown supporter. Maybe that's partly because I wanted Jakob Chychrun with that draft pick and was pissed when we moved up for Brown. I don't like his skating or his compete level. Having said that I'd love to move him for someone like Conor Timmins if Colorado has any interest. I'm not sure if anyone else here sees Timmins as an upgrade on Bernard-Docker and Lassi Thomsom as I do.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Not peanuts, but forget about the covid and cancelled season, Toronto and Tampa were going to be in nightmare cap situations already. Wouldn't be fair to the rest of the league to bail them out because of this. We can debate about what the price will be relative to market value, but there is no debating that Sergachev and one or two of those Toronto forwards will be available. And the Sens should be in on Sergachev hard.

Yeah, I think it's safe to say if the cap goes down, teams will be given a few different buy out options to reduce their cap, but this doesn't really help a team like the Leafs, as they don't have any really awful contracts that give the player negative value you'd prefer to cut loose anway. Even buying out Muzzin wouldn't be enough, and it'd be hard for Leaf brass to stare at those Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander and Reilly contracts without feeling a sense of dread at the decision at hand (Reilly is a no brainer to keep given his contract isn't too bad).

I think the Lightning have a few options at least with those Gourde, Johnson, Killorn and McDonough contracts to free up space. Not easy decisions, but something they can live with.

I mean the Sens could be given the opportunity to buyout Ryan and Zaitsev, potentially, and have a ridiculous amount of cap room to take on the likes of a Nylander or Sergachev while acquiring them at a major discount. Evan guys like Tarasenko or Schenn might be worth considering from St. Louis.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Buyouts don't make sense to me. Either they roll back salaries by X% and drop the cap or they raise escrow to huge levels. Buyouts that don't count against the cap made sense when a new CBA came into effect because teams were making decisions based upon imperfect information. If the collective pot of money has shrunk, having teams pay out money that isn't taken from the collective share given to the players makes little sense.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009

Dumba + Suter + Minnesota's Conditional 1st in 2021 (Ottawa can slide it to 2022)

For

Ottawa's second 1st round pick this year?

Could be nice to have some vets come in to stabilize the D corps. What happens when Suter retires in 2-3 years? Minne gets a cap recapture?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Dumba + Suter + Minnesota's Conditional 1st in 2021 (Ottawa can slide it to 2022)

For

Ottawa's second 1st round pick this year?

Could be nice to have some vets come in to stabilize the D corps. What happens when Suter retires in 2-3 years? Minne gets a cap recapture?
Uh no. We’re
Not trading top 5 picks for stabilizing vets. That’s what fifth round picks are for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad