Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Because at some point in a rebuild you need to use your quantity and turn it into quality.
especially with the ExDraft coming up... teams are going to be dangling good assets out there.

At some point is most often not in year 2 of a rebuild. If they win the draft they will have a first line for Brady to play on.
Few teams if any will be getting rid of good assets just to lose there next best asset in the draft. That’s a double loss, if we had to risk both Brown and Drake it would be pointless to trade Drake and have Seattle take Brown unless it’s a hell of a trade that covers the loss of both players.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Because at some point in a rebuild you need to use your quantity and turn it into quality.
especially with the ExDraft coming up... teams are going to be dangling good assets out there.

Our advantage in the expansion draft relates to the idea that we can’t really lose anyone that good ... maybe a AHL goalie or 7th forward on a non playoff team.

Trading protected EX draft assets for unprotected EX assets probably doesn’t make us stronger. It exposes us to more risk unless the newly acquired asset is worth protecting vs our 2ND goalie, 3rd dman or who ever.

On D I assume we protect Chabot and Wolanin possibly exposing Demelo (if we added a dman asset) if we keep him or Jaros.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
At some point is most often not in year 2 of a rebuild. If they win the draft they will have a first line for Brady to play on.
Few teams if any will be getting rid of good assets just to lose there next best asset in the draft. That’s a double loss, if we had to risk both Brown and Drake it would be pointless to trade Drake and have Seattle take Brown unless it’s a hell of a trade that covers the loss of both players.
This is year 3.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
This is year 3.

We traded everyone last year, this is year 2 of the rebuild. Sucking with all your core players who have been on the team for years is not rebuilding. This is year three of being a bad team and year 2 of the rebuild

Reactions: Breomike

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He needs a guy to drive his line where he can play his game, he is not a guy to carry the play or create from the neutral zone into the offensive zone. That's what Stone did last year, and that's what he's lacking this year. He has so few assists because outside of creating in front of the net and jamming stuff towards for reboounds, he isn't creating or generating chances in the high slot or off rushes.

He is at his best coming off the boards and behind/in front of the net, he needs someone to generate chances and create lanes and shots and look from other areas, because right now we have nobody/very few able to do this consistently, including Tkachuk.

When we get the puck below the hashmarks, he's great and creating chances, outside of that area, he isn;t doing much of anything, He needs a guy able to create and carry the puck in those areas, so we don't need to rely on him to.

The case I was making was that Tkachuk will produce 1st line ability regardless. Line driver or not. He needs a line driver to MAXIMIZE his own ability and bring out the best in him and his point totals, yes. But he doesn't need a line driver to be successful and score 60ish points. He does just fine to create opportunities to score but for us to be successful as a team, we definitely need a line driver to make us competitive and make Tkachuk that much more dominant.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The case I was making was that Tkachuk will produce 1st line ability regardless. Line driver or not. He needs a line driver to MAXIMIZE his own ability and bring out the best in him and his point totals, yes. But he doesn't need a line driver to be successful and score 60ish points. He does just fine to create opportunities to score but for us to be successful as a team, we definitely need a line driver to make us competitive and make Tkachuk that much more dominant.

I agree... Brady is currently top ten in the league in shots and hits at 20 years old with a 3C driving his line. He clearly doesn’t need to be carried.

A more effective center will obviously enhance his play - but he is productive on his own.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
With Panthers still looking for a backup goalie and some D, how long before Anderson gets dealt. Should we target a better 2020 pick or an even higher 2021 pick by adding Hainsey?
Hoping for an early decision on this to set the market.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Hi there, Canes fan here,

According to Garrioch, it sounds like the Canes might be considering Demolo as one of their deadline targets. Judging by his TOI being just over 20mins this year, looks like he is currently playing top 4 minutes for you guys.

I’ll admit I know nothing about this player. How has he looked so far defensively this year? Any glaring weaknesses? Potential cost to acquire?

Thanks!

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Meier and Landeskog have better skills than Brady and betting on them to produce more is not as risky. Brady hasn’t shown enough talent as those two.
Funny how Brady is on pace for 27 goals this season on a team with no centre ice depth.

Meier 1 season at 30 goals, next best is 21.
Landeskog 1 season at 34 goals, next best is 25.

Brady will get paid and those thinking 8 x 8 is outrageous better start getting prepared. The org needs to continue to show the fans who are not attending they are committed to the rebuild so they are likely to try desperately to get this done this summer.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Hi there, Canes fan here,

According to Garrioch, it sounds like the Canes might be considering Demolo as one of their deadline targets. Judging by his TOI being just over 20mins this year, looks like he is currently playing top 4 minutes for you guys.

I’ll admit I know nothing about this player. How has he looked so far defensively this year? Any glaring weaknesses? Potential cost to acquire?

Thanks!
He's a steady defenseman. The type of guy that doesn't really have any weaknesses but also doesn't do anything spectacular out there. He should cost about a 2nd round pick and be a guy that plays on a playoffs team top pairing, or maybe as a #4. You won't love him but you won't hate him.

Reactions: spockjerk

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
He's a steady defenseman. The type of guy that doesn't really have any weaknesses but also doesn't do anything spectacular out there. He should cost about a 2nd round pick and be a guy that plays on a playoffs team top pairing, or maybe as a #4. You won't love him but you won't hate him.

Thanks, a 2nd sounds about right, maybe another lower round pick/ or middling type prospect add if need be. I imagine CAR is looking at him to play opposite Slavin in their top 4.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Thanks, a 2nd sounds about right, maybe another lower round pick/ or middling type prospect add if need be. I imagine CAR is looking at him to play opposite Slavin in their top 4.
Who would be coming out of Carolina's line up? Van Riemsdyk or Fluery? When' Hamilton suppose to be back?

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Sounds logical, Demelo’s most impressive attribute is probably the intangible that every defenseman he plays with seems to up his game. He’d be a great pickup to stabilize any pairing.

Reactions: DrEasy

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

If we win the lottery and draft Lafreniere, Brady becomes an automatic 2nd line LW on this team. The only way winning the lottery gives us a 1st line that includes Brady T is if we draft Byfield 1st overall or Lafreniere becomes a center in the NHL.

Sounds logical, Demelo’s most impressive attribute is probably the intangible that every defenseman he plays with seems to up his game. He’d be a great pickup to stabilize any pairing.

Which is the perfect reason to keep him. Good, steady defensemen are tough to acquire, how many of us would love to have Methot back (in his 20's) right now to help keep this re-build on track? DeMelo is a less physical Methot with more offensive upside.

Also, realistically speaking, we cannot go with 5 young/rookie defenseman next year and Chabot, it will ruin any ground this team made acquiring assets and developing guys in Belleville. If all of Hainsey, Boro, and DeMelo or gone we will be in serious trouble next year.

Reactions: NyQuil

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Ok so Demelo and Anderson to Florida for what

-Anderson (retained salary)
-Demelo

For

-Pysyk (Cap dump/roster player to eat minutes for Ottawa to close out the season)
-2020 2nd*
-2021 3rd

*Second becomes a 1st if FLA makes the conference final with Anderson winning x amount of playoff games.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Who would be coming out of Carolina's line up? Van Riemsdyk or Fluery? When' Hamilton suppose to be back?

Personally, I don’t see Hamilton back this season, even for the playoffs. I don’t think the Canes get out of rd 1 this year, that’s if they hold on and make it.

If, Hamilton miraculously came back, Fleury would easily be the first scratch. Brind’Amour just doesn’t trust him. After Fleury, it’d be between TVR and Gardiner. TVR hasn’t been himself after coming back from shoulder surgery and Gardiner is at times, well, Gardiner. From what I can tell/read, sounds like Demolo is a steadying presence, and that’s exactly what the Canes were looking for prior to Hamilton going down. They wanted a steady guy to play with Pesce. Now they’re pretty much forced to play Gardiner there and play Edmundson on his offside with Slavin when Edmundson is much more suited for 3rd pair duty,

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Demelo should be an interesting asset to watch because of his cap hit. He can be fit on to almost every team automatically. All that a team needs to do is send down another 6 figure cap hit whose roster spot would be taken by Demelo.

Reactions: NB613

orkid

Jun 25, 2014
I want to re-sign Demelo. He won't cost too much and he is the perfect second pairing defenceman. Boro is someone we should absolutely be trading. He has value and of all "he might re-sign in the summer" candidates he's probably the most likely to actually do it.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I want to re-sign Demelo. He won't cost too much and he is the perfect second pairing defenceman. Boro is someone we should absolutely be trading. He has value and of all "he might re-sign in the summer" candidates he's probably the most likely to actually do it.

He will probably cost 4M give or take. His playoff performance could lower that number like Dzingel's did.

I wonder if they are taking expansion draft into consideration. This team clearly likes Zaitsev. So if Chabot and Zaitsev take up two spots, that gives us one spot to protect whoever else like Wolanin, Jaros, or if signed Demelo.

I wonder if they'd rather take a 2nd in a strong draft (if available) and keep the expansion protection spot.

Reactions: bert

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
-Anderson (retained salary)
-Demelo

For

-Pysyk (Cap dump/roster player to eat minutes for Ottawa to close out the season)
-2020 2nd*
-2021 3rd

*Second becomes a 1st if FLA makes the conference final with Anderson winning x amount of playoff games.
It’s a deal like that I have thinking. Maybe replace the 3rnd for Borgstrom

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He will probably cost 4M give or take. His playoff performance could lower that number like Dzingel's did.

I wonder if they are taking expansion draft into consideration. This team clearly likes Zaitsev. So if Chabot and Zaitsev take up two spots, that gives us one spot to protect whoever else like Wolanin, Jaros, or if signed Demelo.

I wonder if they'd rather take a 2nd in a strong draft (if available) and keep the expansion protection spot.
Thats what they should be doing but the organization has shown time and time again its asset management adverse.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
While I would like to see a 1st, 2nd or 3rd rd pick(s) being returned from upcoming trades, I would also like to see a couple of deals where Ottawa obtains a big tough skilled young NHL ready prospect or two especially in a couple of areas of need such as RW or on defence. It also wouldn't hurt to receive a couple of picks for the 2021 draft to give Ottawa more options & some leverage to move up if need be to acquire a player they have targeted. They should also look to sign a couple of the best NCAA free agents, if possible every yr.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613 and Cosmix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad