Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
You have JBD that will be an AHL'r next season. As will Thompson...Assuming they do not push through and actually make the club. There is a kid at North Dakota..he may come out. If so, another AHL spot.

By 2021-2022. JBD and Lassi had better give real clear indications that they are NHL players. And so, you have got to position yourself to have two spots open for them.

so Chabot, Zaitsev, JBD, Thompson, possibly Brannstrom ..that could mean 5 spots.. If Wolanin is 6...do you really care about 7?

What I believe that means is: you have 2020-2021 to preoccupy yourself.. your list is :
Chabot
Zaitsev
Reilly
Jaros
Wolanin
Lajoie

there is your 6. All you need is one guy to accept a 1 year.... So if Pierre Lebrun's suggestion that they are looking to sign Hainsey to a 1 year..It would start making perfect sense.

any signing of a player, UFA or other for anything more than 1 year, is unnecessary.

The team wants to compete though. They aren't going to trust Lajoie and Jaros to develop in the NHL. They will want them to be at a certain level when they get the call. They will want the bottom pairing spots occupied by guys who can be trusted to play 16-18 minutes a night. They also have had issues with organizational depth at defense this year. There's no universe where Goloubef or Englund should be playing in the NHL. So by getting rid of all the UFAs and promoting the fringe prospects to their spot, depth wise it puts the team in a position where they are forced to disrupt the development of the next batch of prospects by recalling them too early when we have injuries.

In terms of players with multi-year contracts clogging up the D, it won't happen. Hainsey is only getting a 1 year contract regardless. I'd be shocked if he pushes for 2. If he pushes for 2, there's a good chance he ends up not even playing for us in year 2 because it is unrealistic to expect someone who will be 40 going on 41 years old to play in the NHL. Reilly will also only have 1 year left. There's also a chance that Seattle grabs one of our unprotected defensemen since we will only have 3 spots to protect Chabot, Zaitsev, Wolanin, Boro, Jaros, Lajoie, and (if re-signed) Demelo.

The way I see it working out is:

NHL Opening Night
Chabot/Zaitsev/Hainsey/Reilly/Brannstrom/Wolanin/Boro (If Boro walks, Jaros)

Waived/First Callups
Lajoie/Jaros/Whatever AHL journeyman we sign

AHL
Alsing/Thomson/JBD (If signed)

Every team has their own fringe defenders with potential like Lajoie and Jaros. They probably wouldn't clear in the middle of the season, but it's likely they clear in the off season when teams have their own rosters to worry about. If a team likes Jaros, they have to like him enough to keep him in the NHL and waive their own defender.

If we get rid of everybody, then the problems we've had this season with defensive depth will just be exasperated. Keeping in mind, that this is a team that is maybe delusional enough to think they need to be lining up to make the playoffs next season. So they aren't going to set themselves up to have two guys who they haven't even trusted to play much more then 10 minutes in the NHL as their 5/6 defenders, let alone having a worse lineup than that if anybody gets injured.

I'm assuming that we aren't getting a 2nd for Hainsey so the opportunity cost of keeping him won't be that great. If we can get a 2nd for him in a draft as strong as this one, even with this team wanting to make the playoffs next year, I'm sure they'd move him.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
The team wants to compete though. They aren't going to trust Lajoie and Jaros to develop in the NHL. They will want them to be at a certain level when they get the call. They will want the bottom pairing spots occupied by guys who can be trusted to play 16-18 minutes a night. They also have had issues with organizational depth at defense this year.

If we get rid of everybody, then the problems we've had this season with defensive depth will just be exasperated. .

I mentioned last year that the Senators would sign some vets to contracts to fill out the roster. That idea was spurned by some. Yet, Brown, Zaitsev, Hainsey, Ennis, Namestikov & Anisimov were all signed.

Some players with expiring contracts will get resigned and other players not on the team currently will get added. Vets are always needed and teams need to meet the cap floor. As an example, got to think Dorion would want to resign Demelo unless there was something weird that was prohibitive.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
The team wants to compete though. They aren't going to trust Lajoie and Jaros to develop in the NHL. They will want them to be at a certain level when they get the call. They will want the bottom pairing spots occupied by guys who can be trusted to play 16-18 minutes a night. They also have had issues with organizational depth at defense this year. There's no universe where Goloubef or Englund should be playing in the NHL. So by getting rid of all the UFAs and promoting the fringe prospects to their spot, depth wise it puts the team in a position where they are forced to disrupt the development of the next batch of prospects by recalling them too early when we have injuries.

In terms of players with multi-year contracts clogging up the D, it won't happen. Hainsey is only getting a 1 year contract regardless. I'd be shocked if he pushes for 2. If he pushes for 2, there's a good chance he ends up not even playing for us in year 2 because it is unrealistic to expect someone who will be 40 going on 41 years old to play in the NHL. Reilly will also only have 1 year left. There's also a chance that Seattle grabs one of our unprotected defensemen since we will only have 3 spots to protect Chabot, Zaitsev, Wolanin, Boro, Jaros, Lajoie, and (if re-signed) Demelo.

The way I see it working out is:

NHL Opening Night
Chabot/Zaitsev/Hainsey/Reilly/Brannstrom/Wolanin/Boro (If Boro walks, Jaros)

Waived/First Callups
Lajoie/Jaros/Whatever AHL journeyman we sign

AHL
Alsing/Thomson/JBD (If signed)

Every team has their own fringe defenders with potential like Lajoie and Jaros. They probably wouldn't clear in the middle of the season, but it's likely they clear in the off season when teams have their own rosters to worry about. If a team likes Jaros, they have to like him enough to keep him in the NHL and waive their own defender.

If we get rid of everybody, then the problems we've had this season with defensive depth will just be exasperated. Keeping in mind, that this is a team that is maybe delusional enough to think they need to be lining up to make the playoffs next season. So they aren't going to set themselves up to have two guys who they haven't even trusted to play much more then 10 minutes in the NHL as their 5/6 defenders, let alone having a worse lineup than that if anybody gets injured.

I'm assuming that we aren't getting a 2nd for Hainsey so the opportunity cost of keeping him won't be that great. If we can get a 2nd for him in a draft as strong as this one, even with this team wanting to make the playoffs next year, I'm sure they'd move him.

I always have to ask, because my interests are simple. what do you envision this D to be in 21/22 and 22/23. To be 100% honest, I would not bet so much as a nickle on them.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
A little further down the line, but does anyone else think Loui Eriksson will eventually be traded to Ottawa?

After this season, he has 2 more years left on his deal at a cap hit of 6mil. After July 1st, he has a signing bonus of 4mil paid out, leaving 5 million in real dollars left over the next 2 years (4 million in base, 1 million in a signing bonus on July 1st 2021).

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
A little further down the line, but does anyone else think Loui Eriksson will eventually be traded to Ottawa?

After this season, he has 2 more years left on his deal at a cap hit of 6mil. After July 1st, he has a signing bonus of 4mil paid out, leaving 5 million in real dollars left over the next 2 years (4 million in base, 1 million in a signing bonus on July 1st 2021).

We'd be smart to take on his contract in exchange for an asset from Vancouver.

Melnyk could actually save money by trading for him by using his 6M cap hit to help us reach the cap floor, while paying him much less in salary.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Lebrun just put up an article on the trade deadline with insight on every team. Unfortunately I don't have the Athletic lol

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Lebrun just put up an article on the trade deadline with insight on every team. Unfortunately I don't have the Athletic lol
Got you covered:

Ottawa Senators
As I recently discussed with Senators GM Pierre Dorion, it’s already a mighty important June draft for the franchise with Ottawa owning two lottery picks (their own plus San Jose’s) plus three second-round picks and a high third-rounder. It’s a draft that should dramatically impact a rebuild that’s already showing promising young talent. More picks should be on the way with pending UFAs potentially being dealt, although I do think in Jean-Gabriel Pageau’s case, the Sens will talk contract with him within the next couple of weeks. If they can’t find a solution for an extension, then he will be a sought-after centre on the rental market. There aren’t many centres available anywhere, period. Other pending UFAs include blueliners Ron Hainsey, Dylan DeMelo and Mark Borowiecki, forwards Tyler Ennis and Vladislav Namestnikov and goalie Craig Anderson. On Hainsey, by the way, he’s got a 10-team no-trade list. My understanding is that the Senators have indicated an interest in re-signing him but we’ll see where that goes.

Reactions: DJB

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Got you covered:

Ottawa Senators
As I recently discussed with Senators GM Pierre Dorion, it’s already a mighty important June draft for the franchise with Ottawa owning two lottery picks (their own plus San Jose’s) plus three second-round picks and a high third-rounder. It’s a draft that should dramatically impact a rebuild that’s already showing promising young talent. More picks should be on the way with pending UFAs potentially being dealt, although I do think in Jean-Gabriel Pageau’s case, the Sens will talk contract with him within the next couple of weeks. If they can’t find a solution for an extension, then he will be a sought-after centre on the rental market. There aren’t many centres available anywhere, period. Other pending UFAs include blueliners Ron Hainsey, Dylan DeMelo and Mark Borowiecki, forwards Tyler Ennis and Vladislav Namestnikov and goalie Craig Anderson. On Hainsey, by the way, he’s got a 10-team no-trade list. My understanding is that the Senators have indicated an interest in re-signing him but we’ll see where that goes.

Thanks. Appreciated. Not sure why we wouldn't see what we could get for Hainsey at this point.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think Ottawa has to play a balancing act with keeping Belleville competitive and also moving out vets/giving young guys a chance

If we move out 5 guys on the team that means belleville will lose key guys Esp on defense

I guess you gotta balance return VS keeping them around. If a team offers a 4th for hainsey it may not be worth it

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Doubt we are seriously considering re-signing Hainsey. Most likely it's just Dorion playing his mind games (he's so bad at it lol) showing other teams how we value him in order to generate some interest at deadline.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Doubt we are seriously considering re-signing Hainsey. Most likely it's just Dorion playing his mind games (he's so bad at it lol) showing other teams how we value him in order to generate some interest at deadline.

What are the prerequisites to be good at it?

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
If Hainsey is a one year stop-gap to allow for JBD and/or Thomson's development, I am all for it. Demelo is most likely looking for some long-term security. We already have Zaitsev locked up for a while. Do we really want to commit to Demelo for 4 or 5 years too, with a couple prospects on the way?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If Hainsey is a one year stop-gap to allow for JBD and/or Thomson's development, I am all for it. Demelo is most likely looking for some long-term security. We already have Zaitsev locked up for a while. Do we really want to commit to Demelo for 4 or 5 years too, with a couple prospects on the way?

I wouldn't mind seeing Demelo stay depending on the cost. Demelo is a RHD and Hainsey can play there so both could be in demand as well.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Dreger speculating on the possibility of Hainsey going back to the Leafs with all of their injuries, citing the Car-Pit deal in 2017 he was involved in as an example

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
We aren't getting a 2020 2nd for Hainsey, especially not from the Leafs who already don't have their 1st. If we do somehow manage to get a 2nd, it will be their 2021 2nd.

I wonder if Ben Harpur would come back in the deal. The Leafs clearly have no interest in using him. He wouldn't have a future here, but we if we are possibly trading away 2-3 defensemen when we already have depth issues, it would be helpful to get an extra body here so that we don't have to recall from Belleville as they are preparing for a playoff run.

CBJ 2020 3rd would be nice, but I'd guess 2021 3rd would be more likely.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I could see them keeping Hainsey and/or Boro over DeMelo, simply because of the difference in contracts required to keep them and the available returns if traded.

Surely DeMelo has earned himself a raise and some term unlike the other two, and he would also likely garner a better return than either of the others.

If that is the case and they only see DeMelo as a stop gap like i do, then they may just choose to move him now.

Even more likely if DeMelo plans to test the UFA market and isn't willing to negotiate mid season.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I could see them keeping Hainsey and/or Boro over DeMelo, simply because of the difference in contracts required to keep them and the available returns if traded.

Surely DeMelo has earned himself a raise and some term unlike the other two, and he would also likely garner a better return than either of the others.

If that is the case and they only see DeMelo as a stop gap like i do, then they may just choose to move him now.

Even more likely if DeMelo plans to test the UFA market and isn't willing to negotiate mid season.
Demelo had one foot out the door of his NHL career not long ago. I can't imagine he won't test FA and get the most he can. Ottawa will have to pay market value if they want him to sign midseason and we all know how our management group feels about players getting paid what they're worth.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
We'd be smart to take on his contract in exchange for an asset from Vancouver.
Melnyk could actually save money by trading for him by using his 6M cap hit to help us reach the cap floor, while paying him much less in salary.

And there's your asset, id suspect everyone knows the Sens are beyond cheap so looking at it from an oppositions point of view, I would never pay the Ottawa Senators owned by Eugene Melnyk anything extra to take a bad cap hit with lower salary of my hands

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I am not surprised that the Senators would have some interest in signing Hainsey for another year, as both Smith and Dorion have heaped praise on him as a character vet. BUT if a second round pick could be obtained at the TDL or sooner, such a trade would get done. The Sens could try to sign him at season end.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Got you covered:

Ottawa Senators
Did the Sens seriously give Hainsey a no-trade? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad