Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
They lost Trouba too. They may never see a defense that good for again for decades.

Ok sure but they got Pionk and a 1st for him. Yes the defense took a big hit but look at that potential. Morrissey might already be one of the most underrated D-man in the league and still young, he will continue to progress. Heinola and Pionk will be excellent offensively. Samberg might be a beast, Chislom is a good prospect. Niku and Stanley might be good 3rd pairing D-men

Don’t worry for them, they’ll be good

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I want to keep Pageau but if he don’t want to stay. Pageau + Ott 2 rnd vs Pulju + Edm first round + Benning

Reactions: NB613

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I have to say I was surprised to hear Lebrun say yesterday that he thinks we're going to push to re-sign Hainsey.

I suppose it depends on the price, but idk, I'd much rather keep DeMelo if it's between the two.

Looking forward to next season, there are a few spots that in my mind are locks.

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin-
-Brannstrom
Reilly-

That leaves two empty slots to fill with either Hainsey, Boro, Jaros and DeMelo or UFA signings.

To be honest, I think I'd be pretty happy giving Boro a short deal, and trading off Hainsey and DeMelo.

Chabot-Zaitsev
Boro-Brannstrom
Wolanin-Jaros
Reilly

It's not ideal, Idealy I'd like upgrades on Boro and Jaros, but the goal imo is to get us to the point that JBD and Thomson are ready, not to find long term solutions. Boro is great in the room, and Jaros still has potential to be a solid guy. Boro and Jaros also give us the physical presence to help insulate our otherwise small D.

If we were to re-sign Hainsey, I guess he pushes Jaros back to the AHL another year which I suppose is fine.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
If we re-sign Hainsey, we better be moving our other DMen. I do get where they're coming from - Boro and DeMelo will cost more and return more, while they don't bring his coaching ability, but they are both better players and integral on and off the ice in their own rights.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I have to say I was surprised to hear Lebrun say yesterday that he thinks we're going to push to re-sign Hainsey.
seemed to be speculation on his part. I sometimes take with a grain of salt what some of these guys say cause you tell Ottawa hockey talks and rumours are down on their list of priorities. Unless of course they state they have heard it from a source. But iirc his radio hit it seemed like it was speculation

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I have no interest in re-signing Hainsey whatsoever.

I think he'd be fine in a circa 2007-2008 or 2008-2009 Luke Richardson role. One year contract as essentially a player coach to transition into a post playing career as a coach if that's what he's interested in. Richardson was only playing 12 mins a night and was likely getting close to league minimum.

If Hainsey is looking for another 3.5 mil deal, I'd move on though.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think he'd be fine in a circa 2007-2008 or 2008-2009 Luke Richardson role. One year contract as essentially a player coach to transition into a post playing career as a coach if that's what he's interested in. Richardson was only playing 12 mins a night and was likely getting close to league minimum.

If Hainsey is looking for another 3.5 mil deal, I'd move on though.
thing is where else is that money going?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Off the top 6.2 lM in dead money

Figure 11M at least for Duclair, Tierney and Brown. That makes about 28.5 for 7 forwards. Add 6M for 6 more minimum makes 28.5.

On D we have 4 D signed for 14.9M and 3M for 3 more minimum and we have 17.9.

Goalies are 3.3M.

Total 55.9. So add in a D at 3M (Demelo or Hainaut) and 2.5M for Brady’s bonuses. No need to resign more than 1 additional UFA.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Well, I'd like to re-sign Duclair for example. One of Tierney or Pageau should be re-signed. I'd re-sign DeMelo before Hainsey.

I think you've mentioned liking the idea of going after Galchenyuk, I think that would be better use of the money than Hainsey (obviously we might have to pay more to convince him), though not necessarily my preference he has oodles more upside.

Just because we need to spend the money somewhere doesn't mean we should spend it on him.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Make it Dallas' 2nd round pick.
Ottawa could end up 30th and Edmonton could go deep. It would be a shame if the pick moved up like 3 or 4 spots.
I would prefer dallas to but you have to give for a trade work

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It sounded more like speculation that Ottawa would like to sign them.

Not much different than Garrioch who said they were the priorities to feel out for contracts.

If we keep Pageau, I won't be mad. I don't think we're likely to get a 1st for him, and keeping him probably means he cracked and took a soft contract from us.

Hainsey is not getting us a huge return. He got a late 2nd years ago when he was a better player. Not to mention, that was the 2017 draft when 2nd round picks were characterized as not that valuable due to the lack of depth in the draft. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the opportunity cost for re-signing Hainsey will end up being all that high.

I don't think we're at risk of creating a log jam on defense. Guys aren't coming along quickly enough.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Well, I'd like to re-sign Duclair for example. One of Tierney or Pageau should be re-signed. I'd re-sign DeMelo before Hainsey.

I think you've mentioned liking the idea of going after Galchenyuk, I think that would be better use of the money than Hainsey (obviously we might have to pay more to convince him), though not necessarily my preference he has oodles more upside.

Just because we need to spend the money somewhere doesn't mean we should spend it on him.
yeah good point

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
It sounded more like speculation that Ottawa would like to sign them.

Not much different than Garrioch who said they were the priorities to feel out for contracts.

If we keep Pageau, I won't be mad. I don't think we're likely to get a 1st for him, and keeping him probably means he cracked and took a soft contract from us.

Hainsey is not getting us a huge return. He got a late 2nd years ago when he was a better player. Not to mention, that was the 2017 draft when 2nd round picks were characterized as not that valuable due to the lack of depth in the draft. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the opportunity cost for re-signing Hainsey will end up being all that high.

I don't think we're at risk of creating a log jam on defense. Guys aren't coming along quickly enough.

I kind of agree with this but it also depends on which side the team sees bran longterm

chabot-zaistev
wolanin
bran

this means no room for boro because we really should not be playing him on his offside. This allows an extension for demelo and hainsey if need be since jaros hasnt came up and taken control of the spot

if its
chabot-zaistev
wolanin-bran

this means we could extend boro and 1 of hainsey or demelo

I understand the need for veterans to provide experience but we also saw the team jump the gun and offer hainsey 3.5 million. If we got into a bidding war for hainsey that was the wrong player to get into a bidding war for and if we just jumped up and offered that then it was a mistake

Im all for veterans and i dont even mind overpaying the veterans if they can add something to our team skill wise as well

Personally I want to resign Demelo and then have us target one of Andy Greene/Justin Braun/Muzzin/Tanev

All veterans but would add to our team defensively which is what we should be looking for imo.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Keep Pageau and Boro

Trade the rest. At least that's what I say. Although De Melo would be nice to keep too.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I kind of agree with this but it also depends on which side the team sees bran longterm

chabot-zaistev
wolanin
bran

this means no room for boro because we really should not be playing him on his offside. This allows an extension for demelo and hainsey if need be since jaros hasnt came up and taken control of the spot

if its
chabot-zaistev
wolanin-bran

this means we could extend boro and 1 of hainsey or demelo

I understand the need for veterans to provide experience but we also saw the team jump the gun and offer hainsey 3.5 million. If we got into a bidding war for hainsey that was the wrong player to get into a bidding war for and if we just jumped up and offered that then it was a mistake

Im all for veterans and i dont even mind overpaying the veterans if they can add something to our team skill wise as well

Personally I want to resign Demelo and then have us target one of Andy Greene/Justin Braun/Muzzin/Tanev

All veterans but would add to our team defensively which is what we should be looking for imo.

We have room for 7 defenders at the NHL level. 8 if we start dressing 23 skaters regularly.

We have the following defenders who as of 2020-21 either need to be in the NHL or require waivers:

Chabot
Zaitsev
Reilly
Jaros
Wolanin
Lajoie
Borowiecki (UFA)
Demelo (UFA)
Hainsey (UFA)

Then we have Brannstrom, Alsing, and Thomson who are exempt. Brannstrom being the most likely to make the NHL out of the gate in 2020.

Keeping all 3 would crowd our backend, but keeping 2 might be manageable. If we keep two of our defenders, the question becomes is keeping those two UFA defenders worth more to us than what they'd be able to be traded for at the deadline, and the risk of having to put 1-2 of our worst performing defensive prospects on waivers during training camp? A player like Lajoie would probably clear in pre-season but it wouldn't be a guarantee so there is risk.

Outside of Wolanin before getting hurt, none of those waiver eligible prospects have shown anything to make it seem like they will be a sure thing at the NHL level. That sounds impatient, but I don't think this team wants to compete so predicting what they will do has to be framed around that mindset.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
We have room for 7 defenders at the NHL level. 8 if we start dressing 23 skaters regularly.

We have the following defenders who as of 2020-21 either need to be in the NHL or require waivers:

Chabot
Zaitsev
Reilly
Jaros
Wolanin
Lajoie
Borowiecki (UFA)
Demelo (UFA)
Hainsey (UFA)

Then we have Brannstrom, Alsing, and Thomson who are exempt. Brannstrom being the most likely to make the NHL out of the gate in 2020.

Keeping all 3 would crowd our backend, but keeping 2 might be manageable. If we keep two of our defenders, the question becomes is keeping those two UFA defenders worth more to us than what they'd be able to be traded for at the deadline, and the risk of having to put 1-2 of our worst performing defensive prospects on waivers during training camp? A player like Lajoie would probably clear in pre-season but it wouldn't be a guarantee so there is risk.

Outside of Wolanin before getting hurt, none of those waiver eligible prospects have shown anything to make it seem like they will be a sure thing at the NHL level. That sounds impatient, but I don't think this team wants to compete so predicting what they will do has to be framed around that mindset.

I think at least as of right now jaros and lajoie havent shown anything that shows they will make the jump even in the offseason. Rielly as expected is most likely going to be the 7th dman next year. While we arent looking to compete I do think the team is going to want to take a step forward. That would mean that we would want our young guys Wolanin and Bran to be paired with veteran guys even if playoffs arent the goal. It helps for their development to be paired with good reliable defenceman. See what demelo did for chabot.

My point was we do need 2 defenceman so I agree with you there. And depending on what side management sees bran playing in the nhl would effect which defenceman to go after. If we look internally with our pending free agents or if we go externally.

Chabot-Zaistev
Wolanin-Demelo
UFA/Bran
Rielly

That defence doesnt move the needle in terms of taking us out of the lottery but would be huge for us developing our younger defenceman if they are given stable veteran defenceman that can cover for their rookie mistakes instead of placing more responsibilities on our young defenceman from the get go

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019

Chabot
Zaitsev
Reilly
Jaros
Wolanin
Lajoie
Borowiecki (UFA)
Demelo (UFA)
Hainsey (UFA)

You have JBD that will be an AHL'r next season. As will Thompson...Assuming they do not push through and actually make the club. There is a kid at North Dakota..he may come out. If so, another AHL spot.

By 2021-2022. JBD and Lassi had better give real clear indications that they are NHL players. And so, you have got to position yourself to have two spots open for them.

so Chabot, Zaitsev, JBD, Thompson, possibly Brannstrom ..that could mean 5 spots.. If Wolanin is 6...do you really care about 7?

What I believe that means is: you have 2020-2021 to preoccupy yourself.. your list is :
Chabot
Zaitsev
Reilly
Jaros
Wolanin
Lajoie

there is your 6. All you need is one guy to accept a 1 year.... So if Pierre Lebrun's suggestion that they are looking to sign Hainsey to a 1 year..It would start making perfect sense.

any signing of a player, UFA or other for anything more than 1 year, is unnecessary.

Reactions: NB613
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad