Rumor: Trade rumours/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
What the hell will Laine do here with zero playmakers on the team? If we were to land a stud like Laine, you would pretty much HAVE to keep Stone to have one of the best guys around to feed him buckets of pucks.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I felt pretty defeated at the Karlsson trade. The return was pretty horrible but I guess in the context of what we're seeing now (likely moving Stone and Duchene) I guess the futures make a bit of sense. Still a terrible trade though.

But when Stone and Duchene are traded... I will be very sad I think. I have enjoyed watching both immensely. I love the way they play. I'll understand, it's a rebuild and they want to win and we can't lose them for nothing. The returns won't be great because they are rentals and I won't blame Dorion for it, he's got to get what he can. But I will be sad.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I think Dorion is either gonna forget to trade Ceci or be instructed to keep him and give him a 5 mil extension to help them reach the floor.

He already offered him almost 5M on a long term extension in the summer per Shawn Simpson.

Ceci turned it down, which either says he has a ridiculously high expectation for his salary, or that he doesn't want to be in Ottawa long term. I assume it's the latter.

I could see a situation where we keep Ceci for one more season and trade him at the 2020 trade deadline. He's an RFA and has one more year of team control. I think we would do that if offers are soft. I can't envision him being here long term, even if Sens management wants to keep him.

Tampa has been scouting us hot and heavy, so hopefully they are in on Ceci. After the shit show that was Tampa main board fans during the Karlsson trade rumours, it would only be fitting that they end up with Ceci instead of Karlsson.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
if dorion can pull it off would everyone be "fine" with vesalaien, fabbro, a couple firsts, lets say a second, a third, some obscure prospects that dorion likes for Duchene and stone in different deals.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Well... Viktor Arvidsson just signed a 7yr deal for 4.25mil might be a comparable for Dzingel in terms of dollars ballpark

A contract like that isn't as unrealistic as it seems, but it would require Dzingel to really not want to bet on himself down the stretch, and to strongly value the security of a seven year deal. If the Senators aren't going to pay him "Mike Hoffman money" as Garrioch speculated, offer him ridiculous term seems like one of the only ways to possibly bridge the gap. I can't otherwise see how they expect to retain him if they aren't willing to pay him 5M x 4 years.

A 7 year 4.XX contract is roughly 30 million dollar contract. If he continues at his pace, he gets that over less years as a UFA on July 1st.

With that said, there's some risk to Dzingel if he gets traded. If he gets sent to a new team, is further down the depth chart, and just doesn't click over the next few months, it will severely damage his market value on July 1st.

He's going to get something like 4 million no matter what, but if he finishes strong instead of a 3-4 year deal, that becomes maybe a 5-6 year deal, and instead of 4 maybe he's looking at 5-6. So there would be a lot on the line for Dzingel if he turns down a Senators contract offer and further bets on himself. Although, the reward if it works out would be immense.

Ceci traded? To Tampa?

They had 2 scouts last night.

2 scouts last night, including a former defenseman (don't know if that matters, someone with more pro scouting knowledge could chime in....)

They had a scout the previous night in Toronto.

If I recall they've been linked to Ceci multiple times over the past few years. First when Drouin was available, it was also mentioned last year that we might have talked about something around Ceci/Koekkoek (I'd imagine not 1 for 1). Yzerman has been looking for a RD for years, and Tampa has numerous defenseman whose contracts expire next season so getting Ceci who will have another year of team control left might be desirable.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
He already offered him almost 5M on a long term extension in the summer per Shawn Simpson.

Ceci turned it down, which either says he has a ridiculously high expectation for his salary, or that he doesn't want to be in Ottawa long term. I assume it's the latter.

I could see a situation where we keep Ceci for one more season and trade him at the 2020 trade deadline. He's an RFA and has one more year of team control. I think we would do that if offers are soft. I can't envision him being here long term, even if Sens management wants to keep him.

Tampa has been scouting us hot and heavy, so hopefully they are in on Ceci. After the **** show that was Tampa main board fans during the Karlsson trade rumours, it would only be fitting that they end up with Ceci instead of Karlsson.
Or both

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I felt pretty defeated at the Karlsson trade. The return was pretty horrible but I guess in the context of what we're seeing now (likely moving Stone and Duchene) I guess the futures make a bit of sense. Still a terrible trade though.

But when Stone and Duchene are traded... I will be very sad I think. I have enjoyed watching both immensely. I love the way they play. I'll understand, it's a rebuild and they want to win and we can't lose them for nothing. The returns won't be great because they are rentals and I won't blame Dorion for it, he's got to get what he can. But I will be sad.

Considering the circumstances, I don't think that trade was that bad. I wish Karl could have stayed, but I don't blame him for wanting out. Hated the trade at the time, but it really isn't looking bad right now. Balcers and Norris and Tierney all seem like locks as top 9 forwards, with Norris and Balcers with top 6 potential. Demelo was worthless when he got here, and now he's our best defender (not saying much, but still). He only makes 900k, so he will fetch a nice return next trade deadline as a rental (at least a 2nd). Teirney and Pageau are too similar to me, but we could easily flip Teirney for a 2nd and a decent prospect right now. Let's say we traded him too. Plus all the picks:

One year of Karlsson (he wasn't coming back)

for

Norris (Top 6 C)
Balcers (Middle 6 LW)
Decent prospect (Tierney)
SJ 2020 1st
FLA 2019 2nd (likely top 40 pick)
2020 2nd (Demelo)
2020 2nd (Tierney)
Plus another 2nd if Karlsson re-signs, which upgrades to a 1st if they make the cup final.

That's a pretty big haul for someone we knew wasn't part of the long term plan. I know people don't like 2nd round picks, but those could be a gold mine with our scouting.

Reactions: InDucheWeTrust

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Was just reading that my other favourite team, the Kansas City Chiefs are already in negotiations with with their generational star quarterback Patrick Mahomes on a new 200M dollar deal... and he still has two years left on his rookie deal and wouldn't be signing that new deal till 2020. Then I look at my other team who have their two best forwards on expiring deals and haven't even bothered talking concrete numbers with them and we're 2 weeks out from the trade deadline.

Just seems like the front office is completely incompetant or blowing smoke to fans when it comes to this stuff. Why can't we do any contracts in a timely manner? If Stone couldn't be signed to a long term extension this offseason, he should have been traded before arbitration to maximize his potential value. The overall asset managment on this team is historically bad.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Considering the circumstances, I don't think that trade was that bad. I wish Karl could have stayed, but I don't blame him for wanting out. Hated the trade at the time, but it really isn't looking bad right now. Balcers and Norris and Tierney all seem like locks as top 9 forwards, with Norris and Balcers with top 6 potential. Demelo was worthless when he got here, and now he's our best defender (not saying much, but still). He only makes 900k, so he will fetch a nice return next trade deadline as a rental (at least a 2nd). Teirney and Pageau are too similar to me, but we could easily flip Teirney for a 2nd and a decent prospect right now. Let's say we traded him too. Plus all the picks:

One year of Karlsson (he wasn't coming back)

for

Norris (Top 6 C)
Balcers (Middle 6 LW)
Decent prospect (Tierney)
SJ 2020 1st
FLA 2019 2nd (likely top 40 pick)
2020 2nd (Demelo)
2020 2nd (Tierney)
Plus another 2nd if Karlsson re-signs, which upgrades to a 1st if they make the cup final.

That's a pretty big haul for someone we knew wasn't part of the long term plan. I know people don't like 2nd round picks, but those could be a gold mine with our scouting.

If it's one or the other I'd prefer to keep Tierney. He'll likely never be anything special, but he's younger than Pageau and has increased his point totals every season. Plus Pageau probably has more name value around the league in terms of a trade return.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

You have to see the trade, for what it was, a rental trade, as EK was non committal to a sign and trade, with any of the teams he was given permission to talk with, in order to possibly work one out.

Ottawa Senators Acquire:
ottawa_senators.svg

Dylan DeMelo ·
Chris Tierney ·
Rūdolfs Balcers · (AHL/JR)
Joshua Norris · (Signing Rights)
2019 conditional 2nd round pick* (SJS)
2020 conditional 1st round pick** (SJS)
2021 conditional 2nd round pick*** (SJS)
conditional 1st round pick****

****Sens receive a 1st RD pick from the Sharks (no later than 2022) if Karlsson is on an Eastern Conference roster (reserve list) during the 2018-19 season.
*Conditions: 2019 2nd round pick is the higher of the two picks the Sharks currently own: Panthers and their own.
**Conditions: Ottawa receives Sharks 2019 1st round pick if Sharks do not make the playoffs. If Sharks make the playoffs, Ottawa receives Sharks 2020 1st.
***Conditions: Sens receive Sharks 2021 2nd round pick if Karlsson is re-signed. The selection upgrades to a 2021 1st if Sharks reach the Stanley Cup final in 2019.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Was just reading that my other favourite team, the Kansas City Chiefs are already in negotiations with with their generational star quarterback Patrick Mahomes on a new 200M dollar deal... and he still has two years left on his rookie deal and wouldn't be signing that new deal till 2020. Then I look at my other team who have their two best forwards on expiring deals and haven't even bothered talking concrete numbers with them and we're 2 weeks out from the trade deadline.

Just seems like the front office is completely incompetant or blowing smoke to fans when it comes to this stuff. Why can't we do any contracts in a timely manner? If Stone couldn't be signed to a long term extension this offseason, he should have been traded before arbitration to maximize his potential value. The overall asset managment on this team is historically bad.
They've been orchestrating their last summer deals and moves around that new Mahomes deal. Imagine last summer already preparing 2020 quarterback deal...
While here, Pd is waiting at the last minute to make sure the return is as mediocre as possible
Insane

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

iu

Contracts in the NFL are NOT guaranteed, and can pretty much be canceled at any time.

This is not the case in the NHL, once a contract/extension is signed, and approved by the league, the money is coming no matter what, because they're 100% guaranteed.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
iu

Contracts in the NFL are NOT guaranteed, and can pretty much be canceled at any time.

This is not the case in the NHL, once a contract/extension is signed, and approved by the league, the money is coming no matter what, because they're 100% guaranteed.

Not entirely true. There is guaranteed money in the NFL, it just has to be negotiated into the contract. Mahomes will likely get close to 100 million of guaranteed money.

Jimmy Garoppolo

There's a recent QB signing. Mahomes contract will be more valuable than that one which has 74.1M guaranteed on a 5 year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad