Rumor: Trade rumours/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Well, we certainly aren't going to be hiring an NHL-proven coach, that much is for sure.

A few of us here have discussed the idea of going all-Euro on the hockey ops side - if we're going to be cheap, at least do it smartly and take advantage of market inneficiencies. If the rest of the NHL are going to continue to stigmatize European hockey management, and as a result they can be hired for pennies on the dollar compared to a North American equivalent, that's a failure we can exploit.

I'd love it if we went with a European not just as coach, but GM as well. Draft a bunch of European kids, and embrace the cultures of the European hockey power countries - make this a desirable destination for SOMEONE who might actually want to play here in the future. I mean, wouldn't it be a HELL of a sales pitch for Swedish NHLers?

And besides all of that, Grönborg has earned a chance at the NHL, as far as I'm concerned. He's won at every level, is a fantastic communicator, he is known for developing young players and managing older ones... I'd be totally fine to give him that chance.
I would love this so much. Added bonus is it would trigger the shit out of Don Cherry. Sadly, Eugene probably shares similar backwards ideology as well and would never do it.

Reactions: DrEasy

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

We should trade for him after July 1st... he has an 8-team trade list but I feel like he will be open to moving anywhere where he will have a bigger role.

He will carry a 6mil cap hit for the next two years but will only be owed 5mil over the next two season (1m in 2019-2020, 4m (3m bonus 1m salary) in 2020-2021)

I bet we could get a very solid asset on top of him or maybe swap Smith for him and a lesser asset.... He's likely not more than a 3rd/4th liner but he's a consummate pro and would be a nice veteran add

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Really want Ducharme or Keefe, modern era coachs who are adapting to the way the game is being played. All posession styles, experience with young players, play four lines deep, constant attack. No more wild cards thanks.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Reactions: GoodGoodnotBad

Riceroni

Dec 14, 2018
Sounds a bit too romantic to be true. One of the reasons we went for Boucher and Crawford was their European experience and trying new things. It worked for one year and was a disaster the other two.

I am 100% down for going full European, but I'm also keeping my expectations in check if we do go that way.
You never go full European! :P

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

We should trade for him after July 1st... he has an 8-team trade list but I feel like he will be open to moving anywhere where he will have a bigger role.

He will carry a 6mil cap hit for the next two years but will only be owed 5mil over the next two season (1m in 2019-2020, 4m (3m bonus 1m salary) in 2020-2021)

I bet we could get a very solid asset on top of him or maybe swap Smith for him and a lesser asset.... He's likely not more than a 3rd/4th liner but he's a consummate pro and would be a nice veteran add

Saw this and came here to post the same thing.

His contract is well suited for our situation. We can trade for him after July 1st, meaning Boston will have paid his bonus, meaning we'd only have to pay $1m in 2019-20, and $4m in 2020-21.

I feel like we could get him and a pick for Smith.

Boston:
-Shed a ton of cap space
-Get someone better suited to be a 3rd-4th line grinder

Ottawa:
-Save in actual contract dollars
-Gets a solid vet and a consummate pro for the kids
-Gets an additional pick
-Backes is happy he doesn't need to be an enforcer anymore

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Backes is a good suggestion.

One issue might be that he has a 1M bonus in what is projected to be the possible lockout season.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I would do Ceci for Puljujarvi in a heartbeat. Kid is only 20 and still has great speed and skill, plus he's known to have a good attitude and work ethic. If we're actually going to hire a developmental coach for this rebuild I could realistically see us turning his game around.

That said I'm biased since he was my fave player at the 2016 WJC when he won tournament MVP honours.

Reactions: NB613 and DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I would do Ceci for Puljujarvi in a heartbeat. Kid is only 20 and still has great speed and skill, plus he's known to have a good attitude and work ethic. If we're actually going to hire a developmental coach for this rebuild I could realistically see us turning his game around.

That said I'm biased since he was my fave player at the 2016 WJC when he won tournament MVP honours.
Well yes anyone would want to do that, Ceci no longer has any value as he will be a UFA this year or next and at a 4.2 million dollar cap hit he is worthless for his skillset.

Its really not being biased it would be the deal of the century given the circumstances. Anyone who thinks that Puljujarvi is already a bust hasnt followed hockey very closely or long. The oilers are a disaster in developing players and he is a big guy and they traditionally take much longer.

Reactions: Slack

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Well yes anyone would want to do that, Ceci no longer has any value as he will be a UFA this year or next and at a 4.2 million dollar cap hit he is worthless for his skillset.

Its really not being biased it would be the deal of the century given the circumstances. Anyone who thinks that Puljujarvi is already a bust hasnt followed hockey very closely or long. The oilers are a disaster in developing players and he is a big guy and they traditionally take much longer.

People are down on Pool party because he's having double hip surgery. Cowen had 1 i think however his was was an injury in bingo and he never was the same player.

It is safe to say there is some risk involved in pool party if nothing else. Could mean nothing.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
People are down on Pool party because he's having double hip surgery. Cowen had 1 i think however his was was an injury in bingo and he never was the same player.

It is safe to say there is some risk involved in pool party if nothing else. Could mean nothing.

Not touching that player with a ten-foot pole.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Francois Gagnon said Dorion want to talk to Benoit Groulx and Pascal Vincent

Vincent is intriguing. Had Groulx on my initial top 5 “top of my head list” but might be knocked down a peg with Vincent and Grönborg potentially in the mix. Pipedream - hire Grönborg, Sign Karlsson in the off-season. Either way you know he’d be great for Brannstrom.

Reactions: Riceroni

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Vincent is intriguing. Had Groulx on my initial top 5 “top of my head list” but might be knocked down a peg with Vincent and Grönborg potentially in the mix. Pipedream - hire Grönborg, Sign Karlsson in the off-season. Either way you know he’d be great for Brannstrom.
Yeah me too I think Vincent can do a great job. Gronborg I don t know him

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
... if we hire him I already have his name picked out once we start to turn on him.

Groanberg.

sRi.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->