Rumor: Trade rumours/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Even for people who like Ceci as a top 4 defender, Ceci should be looked at value wise as a rental.

He's got 1 more year of team control and was rumoured to have turned down a long term contract in the off season.

There were teams in on him at the deadline to the point that a team had asked Dorion to sit him, but clearly nobody met our price because he's still on the Senators. The fact that we weren't able to move him at a trade deadline with such a seller's market for defenders makes me think there aren't going to be strong offers for him.

In terms of a Ceci for Puljujarvi swap, what it comes down to is would we rather move Ceci for a soft package with at best a 2nd as the best piece, or would we rather take the gamble on Puljujarvi who is probably worth about a 2nd or 3rd right now due to the increasing amount of adversity against him developing into a top 6 NHLer, but has a very high ceiling.

In terms of selling a trade to their respective fan bases, it seems like a good situation for both management groups because the value of Ceci and Puljujarvi is a lot easier to obscure than the value of a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Reactions: bert

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Even for people who like Ceci as a top 4 defender, Ceci should be looked at value wise as a rental.

He's got 1 more year of team control and was rumoured to have turned down a long term contract in the off season.

There were teams in on him at the deadline to the point that a team had asked Dorion to sit him, but clearly nobody met our price because he's still on the Senators. The fact that we weren't able to move him at a trade deadline with such a seller's market for defenders makes me think there aren't going to be strong offers for him.

In terms of a Ceci for Puljujarvi swap, what it comes down to is would we rather move Ceci for a soft package with at best a 2nd as the best piece, or would we rather take the gamble on Puljujarvi who is probably worth about a 2nd or 3rd right now due to the increasing amount of adversity against him developing into a top 6 NHLer, but has a very high ceiling.

In terms of selling a trade to their respective fan bases, it seems like a good situation for both management groups because the value of Ceci and Puljujarvi is a lot easier to obscure than the value of a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
Ceci need to look at himself here in the mirror,he needs to fix his game ...

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Dredger gets the sense from GM’s that offer sheets could be a reality.

Good thing we’re not vulnerable or anything.

Luckily, White cannot sign one. He does not have enough pro experience due to us burning the first year of his ELC.

Chabot though, if Sens let him go to free agency in 2020, that's risky. If signing bonuses will be an issue for us we will be vulnerable.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Swedish tv says Grönborg as HC for Ottawa? No sound on the tv, just a headline (in a bar). Maybe just a discussion?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Anyone who thinks Ceci has trade value is very naive. We had this same damn conversation last year with Smith. No one is going to give you anything for them. Best to just walk away.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

IF that is the case & he's not going to re-sign here than of course you try to move him & I would take a 2nd rather than Puljujarvi who has done NOTHING in the AHL or NHL of any value. I'd rather keep Pajaarvi who is playing better hockey.

Maybe a change of scenery might improve his game but it might not either & he is certainly not worth as much as Ceci who plays solid minutes every game against other team's best players. His best season was 28 pts in the AHL 3 seasons ago & 20 pts in the NHL last yr, he has been terrible this yr which is why he is available, Edm doesn't want him, why should we. Trading for him is a terrible idea, Ott has enough useless players, they don't need more of them, they need less.

Reactions: Cosmix

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
They'll do the same as last time.

Hire a guy that has a little NHL experience but at this point doesn't have the leverage to turn down an offer or ask for anything more than the minimum.

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Anyone who thinks Ceci has trade value is very naive. We had this same damn conversation last year with Smith. No one is going to give you anything for them. Best to just walk away.

i think the difference here is that smith is coming with 3 more years but ceci a team could walk away from if need be. So in a trade ceci would actually hold some value due to lack of contract(more flexibility) and the fact that he is a right defenceman. Dont get me wrong though its not a lot of value haha

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
How do you know that? Ceci has much more experience in the NHl & is better than DeMello & DeMello plays with Chabot. I don't think anyone is going to hold Chabot offensively, he has to improve his defensive play & that should come with experience & a bigger & better defensive partner would help.
Demelo makes 900k
Do we need Ceci at 5x that?

NO

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
i think the difference here is that smith is coming with 3 more years but ceci a team could walk away from if need be. So in a trade ceci would actually hold some value due to lack of contract(more flexibility) and the fact that he is a right defenceman. Dont get me wrong though its not a lot of value haha
His contract might not be signed but what he would have to get as a qualifying offer is very rigid. We know what he'd get on that next contract (1 year 4.35M). He would only have value to a team with a ton of cap space and the need for a 5/6 RD. That rules out so many teams. If a team is interested, just wait till he isn't qualified by the Sens and sign him to a cheaper deal. Makes no sense to give anything up for him. His value at the deadline was predicated on him being a playoff rental.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Heard on the radio yesterday that the backup plan had Stone not agreed to sign with VGK was to flip him to NYI for a 1st and Beauvillier... that would have been appalling if true.

Reactions: Icelevel

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Heard on the radio yesterday that the backup plan had Stone not agreed to sign with VGK was to flip him to NYI for a 1st and Beauvillier... that would have been appalling if true.
yup that s what simmer said

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Swedish tv says Grönborg as HC for Ottawa? No sound on the tv, just a headline (in a bar). Maybe just a discussion?

Well, we certainly aren't going to be hiring an NHL-proven coach, that much is for sure.

A few of us here have discussed the idea of going all-Euro on the hockey ops side - if we're going to be cheap, at least do it smartly and take advantage of market inneficiencies. If the rest of the NHL are going to continue to stigmatize European hockey management, and as a result they can be hired for pennies on the dollar compared to a North American equivalent, that's a failure we can exploit.

I'd love it if we went with a European not just as coach, but GM as well. Draft a bunch of European kids, and embrace the cultures of the European hockey power countries - make this a desirable destination for SOMEONE who might actually want to play here in the future. I mean, wouldn't it be a HELL of a sales pitch for Swedish NHLers?

And besides all of that, Grönborg has earned a chance at the NHL, as far as I'm concerned. He's won at every level, is a fantastic communicator, he is known for developing young players and managing older ones... I'd be totally fine to give him that chance.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Columbus is a team that’s desperate but not able to pull away in games.

Duchene and Dzingel are supposed to improve that team and it hasn’t happened yet

Riceroni

Dec 14, 2018
I desperately want Columbus to sign Duchene... they are in for a hard fall next year...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Jesse Puljujarvi double hip surgery.

He is getting close to no longer being waiver exempt.

His production stinks both in the NHL and AHL.

He has yet to make an effort to learn English.

His agent has publicly commented that a trade might be best.

Has everything that could possibly happen to crater his value happened?

Is this an opportunity for another team to steal a former blue chip talent at a liquidation price? Or is this Filatov 2.0?

What pick would you guys give up for Puljujarvi if EDM auctioned him off at the draft? Would you go as high as 32nd overall? (Basically giving the a 1st round calibre prospect).

Zack Smith for Puljujarvi?

Reactions: DrEasy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad