Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Do We Need a Dman Still?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Eichel has NEVER been as good as Drai was in the playoffs last season... When it counts most. I guess we'll see how that contract and his career pan out, but this number makes me feel better about Drai's numbers, and makes me laugh at what's coming for Toronto... $$$$$$$$

Reactions: Aerchon

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I donno. Last season it seemed like Chia and McLellan did everything in their power to keep Letestu as the 4th line C. Once Drai was moved to McDavid's wing, they had Caggiula playing as the 3C and then when that didn't work went and got Desharnais to be our 3C. I think the organization values Test alot, but I think everyone agrees he's best utilized as a 4th line C who is a staple on both special teams units and as the extra C for defensive zone faceoffs. I think Letestu feels best in that role too. I think I remember it was Gregor who said that Letestu felt he's at his best when hes not over extended with too many minutes.

I'd really hope we don't end up in a situation where we need to worry about our 3C though. McDavid, Drai and Nuge are all natural C's. Strome and Jokinen also have C experience in the NHL. If we can't get 3 good Cs out of that there is something wrong going on.

I think they're keeping Kelly around (if he gets a contract, it's weird they haven't made a decision on him yet) in case of injuries where we have no choice but to move Letestu up.

Agreed, however we should have better 3rd line wingers than we did last season as well. I'm not a fan of bumping Letestu up as I see big things ahead for our 4th line. That said if we are looking to sign Kelly I'd suspect that it'd be for him to play every night. I have a weird feeling that we will see Strome or Caggiula traded for a defenseman.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
This doesnt suprise me - have heard lots of rumblings through various people regarding off ice issues.

Kinda explains why he put up good numbers a couple years ago on Calgary and then couldnt really get much of a contract. Theres obviously a lot of things that happen in the NHL that we dont find out till later.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Eichel will be better than those guys. All you have to do is watch him play to know this his offensive skillset is elite of the elite, don't pay too much attention to the numbers. The only way this turns out to be a bad contract is if he all of a sudden becomes injury prone. Otherwise, there's nothing stopping him from being a consistent 80-90+ point player.

This is what teams do nowadays, they identify a young core member and pay them for what they will be throughout their 2nd contract, not what they have been throughout their ELC. Risky but generally these high level players pan out. I'd rather overpay an elite talent based on what they will be than overpay an older player for what they were.

Exactly...Eichels talent is very evident. He is a franchise player IMO.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Another idea of a trade for the Oilers, Fayne for Colborne. He was put on waivers today. I'd be ok with him as a filler. He had short good spurts here and there.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Another idea of a trade for the Oilers, Fayne for Colborne. He was put on waivers today. I'd be ok with him as a filler. He had short good spurts here and there.
Mentioned this a while back. Not a bad trade off. Plus Chiarelli has some familiarity with the player from his Boston days. Beyond Gambardella and Malone, we're pretty weak down the middle in Bako. Nice trash for trash deal.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Pretty simple if you want to make your argument then. I don't care about Hall or Seguin as wingers

Fourier is exceptional at making arguments via stats in these arguments

How about you show Eichel vs Leon at CENTER for PPG and QOC. If Leon is equal or better, I will contest. If Eichel has him beat, end of story

As far as linemates. So you're saying Kane or Okposo are as good as Hall or McDavid
Yeah cause stats are definitely going to tell us how exactly Eichel is going to produce for the next 9 years. I don't care what the stats say if Eichel winds up a 70 pt player this contract is horrendous and there is nothing guaranteeing he'll be a franchise center like everyone likes to pretend he already is. Hopkins looked amazing his first year if he finished the year won the calder and came back his 2nd year and put up similar numbers to Eichel last year and the team signed him to some ludicrous contract people would be crying just like they did with Eberle.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Eichel will be better than those guys. All you have to do is watch him play to know this his offensive skillset is elite of the elite, don't pay too much attention to the numbers. The only way this turns out to be a bad contract is if he all of a sudden becomes injury prone. Otherwise, there's nothing stopping him from being a consistent 80-90+ point player.

This is what teams do nowadays, they identify a young core member and pay them for what they will be throughout their 2nd contract, not what they have been throughout their ELC. Risky but generally these high level players pan out. I'd rather overpay an elite talent based on what they will be than overpay an older player for what they were.
Yeah and Nuge looked like he was going to be as good as Hall after his first year and than everything fell apart. People aren't even happy paying a guy like Hopkins 6 million a year. Yeah Eichel looks good most nights but he's put up Hall numbers to this point and he's getting payed like Patrick Kane.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
That's an easy yes, just cause Colborne makes less and our AHL team could use him more than it needs a Fayne. Don't see either one as real NHL options, the most either one should get is 4-5 games with the big club when some injuries start piling up (which hopefully doesn't happen).

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
That's an easy yes, just cause Colborne makes less and our AHL team could use him more than it needs a Fayne. Don't see either one as real NHL options, the most either one should get is 4-5 games with the big club when some injuries start piling up (which hopefully doesn't happen).

Exactly. I would use Colborne in the AHL and a call-up in case of injuries. That'd be all he'd be useful for.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Some strange stuff in this thread regarding Eichel/Leon contract and play.

-Eichel is getting paid like McDavid not Leon. Based on value to a franchise rather than on ice performance. All three are overpaid in terms of on ice performance/cap hit with Leon actually being overpaid the least of them.
-Leon was visibly and statistically better than both Mathews and Eichel last year. Not just the playoffs. I watched enough of all three to say that. All three great but I think people are forgetting just how amazing Leon looked last year. Not just cause of Mcdavid and not just when playing wing. The guy got much deserved praise and lofty comparisons to Thorton, Kopitar, and Malkin...
-Eichel and Mathews both "should" be better players than Leon but that has not happened yet. Eichel did, and eventually Mathews will, get paid more than Leon because of their draft position, franchise value, and being better than Leon was previously in their draft +1 years. Aka for being better at a similar age/nhl experience.

1.5 mill more per year than Leon, was also overpaid, is a staggering number and the main positive Oilers fans should be taking from this is that, it is most likely Leon will always have a better cap hit for his production/play than Eichel. Its hard to imagine Eichel being worth ten million straight out of his ELC and if those kind of contracts become the norm Leons contract "should" just look better and better.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Some strange stuff in this thread regarding Eichel/Leon contract and play.

-Eichel is getting paid like McDavid not Leon. Based on value to a franchise rather than on ice performance. All three are overpaid in terms of on ice performance/cap hit with Leon actually being overpaid the least of them.
-Leon was visibly and statistically better than both Mathews and Eichel last year. Not just the playoffs. I watched enough of all three to say that. All three great but I think people are forgetting just how amazing Leon looked last year. Not just cause of Mcdavid and not just when playing wing. The guy got much deserved praise and lofty comparisons to Thorton, Kopitar, and Malkin...
-Eichel and Mathews both "should" be better players than Leon but that has not happened yet. Eichel did, and eventually Mathews will, get paid more than Leon because of their draft position, franchise value, and being better than Leon was previously in their draft +1 years. Aka for being better at a similar age/nhl experience.

1.5 mill more per year than Leon, was also overpaid, is a staggering number and the main positive Oilers fans should be taking from this is that, it is most likely Leon will always have a better cap hit for his production/play than Eichel. Its hard to imagine Eichel being worth ten million straight out of his ELC and if those kind of contracts become the norm Leons contract "should" just look better and better.

Mathews played on a line with Hyman and Brown. Who? Exactly. And he also had 2nd unit pp time.

The Leon bias here is getting absurd

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Mathews played on a line with Hyman and Brown. Who? Exactly. And he also had 2nd unit pp time.

No one is begin Leon bias.you just love other player more then your own team.Leon is ten time the player Eichel is going to be.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Mathews also had relatively easy competition and zone starts. There are a lot of factors to either side claiming which one is better. Easy to argue either side, however until Mathews actually out produces Leon in any meaningful way its purely speculation.

Leon had a great year in so many ways. As a center, as a winger, two way, goals, points, faceoffs... So strong on the puck it's ridiculous to watch. I actually think most Oiler fans don't even give Leon as much credit as he deserves because of who he plays with. Tough act to follow around.

Leon would be the #1 elite franchise center on many/most teams.

Reactions: ulyssesjoyce
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad