Trade Rumours and Proposals: Part XXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Any chance Burmistrov is available? I like him.

He's going to be a great player, I doubt Winnipeg is in any rush to move him unless its for a big upgrade down the middle like a Spezza or Turris.

Regarding big offseason acquisitions, the more I look at it the more I come back to Gaborik as the option that makes the most sense on a few levels. This is assuming we're looking to make the jump to Cup contender status.

Rangers are going to be looking for cap relief and depth. We'll be able to make an offer that accomodates both of those needs and Gaborik fits the bill as a premier left shooting sniper to play with Spezza. He's a great skater which Maclean loves and a proven 40 goal scorer. Helps us in transition/counter attack game and PP.

There will be a few more avenues to explore. More names that may becomes possibilites via trade or free agency will arise. Some guys will be better fits in terms of age, contract, ability etc but I'm thinking that in terms of assets and availability, Gaborik makes sense.

He'd also probably love to play here. Not because of the city but because it'd be the first team he would ever play for that actually plays an offensive brand of puck.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think Murray would look for a sniper who would also have the ability to create room for himself. Hence why he went hard after Nash. A powerforward who is also a sniper that can create room for both himself and for Spezza.

Gaborik is a nice consolation prize I guess :sarcasm:

Imagine Karlsson springing Gaborik on breakaways.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
He's going to be a great player, I doubt Winnipeg is in any rush to move him unless its for a big upgrade down the middle like a Spezza or Turris.

Regarding big offseason acquisitions, the more I look at it the more I come back to Gaborik as the option that makes the most sense on a few levels. This is assuming we're looking to make the jump to Cup contender status.

Rangers are going to be looking for cap relief and depth. We'll be able to make an offer that accomodates both of those needs and Gaborik fits the bill as a premier left shooting sniper to play with Spezza. He's a great skater which Maclean loves and a proven 40 goal scorer. Helps us in transition/counter attack game and PP.

There will be a few more avenues to explore. More names that may becomes possibilites via trade or free agency will arise. Some guys will be better fits in terms of age, contract, ability etc but I'm thinking that in terms of assets and availability, Gaborik makes sense.

He'd also probably love to play here. Not because of the city but because it'd be the first team he would ever play for that actually plays an offensive brand of puck.

I could get behind this idea, depending on what the Rangers want in return.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Guys like Gaborik, for the salary Gaborik makes, are available as UFA's.

I'd much rather wait and risk bidding on a top UFA than giving away a guy like Zibby for only 1 1/2 years of Gaborik. I mean, that just doesn't make sense: there's a better than average chance Gabby would be long gone from the Sens organization when we'd need him most.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'd like to see a Bishop for Petry deal straight up & then see if Murray can get Fleischmann from Florida for a few players/prospects from this group below .... Versteeg would be my second choice if he gets healthy.

Regin, Condra, Da Costa, Petersson, Claesson, Pageau, Prince, Daugavins or Hoffman.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
a pick, Greening/Z.Smith, and a top prospect like Zibby.

You're in the ball park. I'd say the 6M+ in cap we're giving them is a pretty significant asset on its own though plus Gabo only has 1 year left on his deal. For those two reasons, I'm not offering up a Lehner, Ceci or Zibanejad but instead a Puempel, Noesen or Stone.

They can pick a couple of our depth players in O'Brien, Greening, Smith, Gryba, DD, Condra, Boro, Grant, or Da Costa, and we add one of the 2nd tier prospects mentioned maybe another 3rd/4th tier guy they like (Pageau, Schneider, Petersson?) and a conditional pick based on if he re-signs. 1st if he does, 2nd if he doesn't.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Id prefer to go ufa. Even if we overpay a bit. In fact, i think our team should ALWAYS hit up the ufa market. Its free assets that we can always trade later.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Burmistrov not in Jets lineup tonight.... hmmmmmm

I'd like to see a Bishop for Petry deal straight up & then see if Murray can get Fleischmann from Florida for a few players/prospects from this group below .... Versteeg would be my second choice if he gets healthy.

Regin, Condra, Da Costa, Petersson, Claesson, Pageau, Prince, Daugavins or Hoffman.

Wishful thinking on both posts. To get Petry and/or Flash would be amazing for this team right now.

I'd absolutely love to get Burmistrov. Unfortunately I just don't really see where he would fit in when Spezza returns.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I know he's been healthy-ish the past 2-3 seasons but I'd rather not add another top forward with greater risk of injury than others to the list we already have. Spezza + Michalek have been mostly healthy until this season but we can't keep having one or two key players missing for large lengths of time.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Flash would be a good target. Fair cap hit at 4.5, works in offensive systems and he's versatile. Problem would be his NMC.

TSN rumours mentioned Shawn Matthias as a target for Vancouver for their 3rd line center. I don't know if this means he's being shopped but that's a player I'd jump all over if he was available. We don't need another center but damn, I'd love him on checking line with guys like O'Brien and Smith. I see him as one of those rare guys who can produce a decent amount of offense in a bottom 6 role, like a Foligno.

Definitely not something we currently need but he'd be an upgrade over Greening in the top 6.

Berserker*

Grit for the playoffs

Acquiring Kassian has gone a long way to improve the toughness situation in Ottawa. However due to Kassian's limited skill, he is unlikely to play in the playoffs. Therefore there is a bit of a need to add some grit/toughness for the playoffs.

The following would be my targets:

Cheap/Inexpensive

If we want to add a bit of grit/toughness but don't want to pay through the nose for it, then it would be worthwhile to target a player on an expiring contract. That way if they don't work out, we can let them walk in the off season and we have the option to -re-sign them if they do. In this category I would target Pierre Cedric Labrie or Matt Hendricks. Both players have a bit of puck skill and are pretty physical players. Both Washington and Tampa Bay are likely to be out of the playoffs so these players could be available.

Moderate Cost

If Murray wants to add a bit of grit at a moderate cost, I think he should target either Brenden Morrow or Ryane Clowe. Both are on the downside of their careers but they should still be able to add a bit of physicality and some depth offense. Both players are UFA's at the end of the season, so if they don't work out we can let them walk.

High Cost

If Murray is willing to pay a fair amount than I would target the following players:
David Clarkson
Scott Hartnell
Wayne Simmonds
Chris Stewart
Cal Clutterbuck
Curtiss Glencross

Everyone except Clutterbuck from the above list can play top six minutes.

Lazarrr

Apr 10, 2010
Ottawa
Instead of Matt Kassian I wish we could've paid the extra and got Raffi Torres. I love that guy. Instantly makes the team scarier and can play the game. Had 27 goals one year.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Would love Simmonds. Doubt he is available. Although Philly could really use some defencemen.

Berserker*

Would love Simmonds. Doubt he is available. Although Philly could really use some defencemen.

Ya, I wasn't sure if Simmonds, Hartnell or Stewart were available but I figured I would add them to the list anyway. As for the rest on my list, I am assuming that they all should be available come trade deadline. Hendricks and Labrie are depth UFA's on struggling teams so they are likely to be shipped out at the trade deadline. There are a lot of rumors out there suggesting that Morrow is almost a sure bet to get traded. There are also a lot of rumors surrounding Clowe getting shipped out, with the most likely destination being Boston. Calgary basically needs to accept the fact that they need to have a rebuild so that would likely mean that they would ship out Glencross. Minnesota has cap problems and there have been rumors that Clutterbuck is available so he could be shipped out. Then with Clarkson, NJ will likely move him if they can't figure out a contract by the trade deadline. He might be a risky option because if NJ moves him, then he will be looking to make bank come the off season.

Simmonds would be an ideal option though. But I am not sure that we are willing to move the assets to acquire him.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Instead of Matt Kassian I wish we could've paid the extra and got Raffi Torres. I love that guy. Instantly makes the team scarier and can play the game. Had 27 goals one year.

How long ago was that? Can't see him doing it again considering he's always suspended. He and Kassian are very different players. Torres is like a Matt Cooke. He's an agitator and is tough to play against, but he's not a tough guy. Ottawa was in the market for a tough guy and got one in Kassian.

Synthetek

Aug 4, 2009
Behind You
I think Murray would look for a sniper who would also have the ability to create room for himself. Hence why he went hard after Nash. A powerforward who is also a sniper that can create room for both himself and for Spezza.

Gaborik is a nice consolation prize I guess :sarcasm:

Imagine Karlsson springing Gaborik on breakaways.

Corey Perry?

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
The lack of toughness on the Sens really showed during the last Philly game, and I think some teams started to exploit it since then. When Alfie and Phillips, or any of the D-men for that matter, are the only ones who step up and stand up for their team mates you know that you need to add toughness. I am meh about the trade, but it is a low risk move that could really pay off.

My guess is that 30 teams out of 30 would love to add a rugged winger who can score. To get someone like Perry at this point we would have to sell the farm, literally. I would rather wait and overpay for a UFA or two this summer than give up a top end prosect like Mika Z plus a first rounder plus who knows what else to get a player who will probably be asking for around 9 Mill per year on a long term deal that would cripple us down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad