Speculation: Trade Rumors/Speculation Thread Part III - 11/11 Yakupov willing to be moved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
rangers aren't getting yak. they want justin schultz.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think Eberle is a good shout, but he would be very expensive assetswise and contract wise. If anyone else from Edmonton I'd be looking at Gagner. If not, I would go for a guy like Marcus Johansson who you might be able to get for a Del Zotto (to answer another poster I think the Caps could be a dark horse for del Zotto, they need a LD that can skate badly) and would definitely be an upgrade.

Gagner is still riding his "potential" several years into his career. He's a 50 point player who is undersized, and isn't fast enough to make up for it. Not a fan, especially given his new contract.

Mojo is a decent player, but I wouldn't trade MDZ straight across for him. Maybe if they sent Carrick back in the deal in addition to Mojo.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It strange how organizational culture questions seem to follow Scott Howson around. Anyway, I think Eberle is a pipe dream to begin with... just because of his contract. The Rangers would have to move MDZ, Pyatt and Boyle to fit Eberle under the cap. Obviously, we would do that. Why would Edmonton?

Yeah, we'd have to part with something sweeter, and do a lot of maneuvering to get under the cap. It'd be a tough deal to make.

Tampa and Washington are good ones. Washington again though is in the division. Hard to make deals there. I'd love Wilson

Yeah, but with so many teams in the division, it's harder to make deals when you have to exclude 7 of them right off the bat just because they're in the Metro.

Del Zotto to TB for Connolly and Gudas?

I'd do it. Gudas is a nasty hitter and Connolly has a ton of potential.

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
I could live with MDZ for 50% Hemsky and a 1st like RB said. I just have to wonder why Edmonton would do that :laugh:

MDZ stretch passes to Hall Eberle and Yakupov, though. Man, he could be like 60 points -40 player.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Look at the standings, smartass

The Rangers are only tanking and making sure they draft a couple of generationally great players from having that type of puck movement.

Since that ain't happening in our lifetimes, its time to stop wishing for the moon and building this team to more realistic strengths.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Why is everyone going nuts trying to get an impact forward? When healthy and clicking this team is probably top 3 in the league and likely the most balanced roster of all. For the past ten games the Rangers have been playing fantastic hockey but have been unlucky with the percentages, and we saw what happens when this team gets some bounces in the Canes and Pens games.

Look at our healthy roster:

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Zuccarello
Pouliot-Brassard-Callahan
Moore-Boyle-Dorsett

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Strålman
Moore-Del Zotto

Lundqvist
Talbot

Hagelin-Nash was the best 5v5 forward duo in the league last season and Richards is playing a lot better. Our current 1st line that everyone is fawning over is suddenly our 2nd line. That 3rd line is as good as many 2nd lines in this league. The 4th is at worst one of the top 3 4th lines in the league. All-in-all probably the deepest forward corps in the league.

We have a similarly deep defence which has allowed AV to basically roll the pairing 5v5 although the top pairing has gotten the toughest minutes and the bottom pairing the easiest. The only weakness is Girardi at 1RD, but that is likely the toughest position to fill. The top pairing defencemen that could be gotten by trade are unfortunately all left handed (I'm primarily thinking about Ehrhoff and Campbell). We're not getting Karlsson, Subban, Pietrangelo, Doughty, Weber, etc. in a trade. Who could we get? Maybe Gilbert out of Florida. Is he an upgrade, who knows? Probably not.

Look, if Edmonton suddenly wants to give away Yakupov for nothing (say Del Zotto or Kreider and a pick) you have to jump on that. But that is in all likelihood not going to happen. So to add an "impact forward" we will likely do more damage to our roster than the value the forward will add.

But even then, let's say we trade for Eberle with only Del Zotto and prospects/picks:

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Eberle
Zuccarello-Brassard-Callahan
Pouliot-Boyle-Dorsett

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Strålman
Moore-Falk

We upgrade our forward corps, sure, but not by the same amount as say the Penguins or Devils would with a similar trade. Instead we are once again a two pairing defence as Moore-Falk will get very limited minutes. On top of all this we have a major cap problem and will likely have to let Girardi and/or Callahan go. The cap issue wouldn't occur with Yakupov, but the other issues would appear.

In essence we have created a lot of problems for a not that big of an upgrade.

Our roster is balanced and beginning to gel, if we get Nash back before the playoffs we can mount a serious challenge for the cup.

Stay, the, course.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'd love Connolly, that's for sure. I don;t know much about Gudas besides his stats and the fact that he is a big mean defender. Can he move well?

Not a fast long-strides kind of skater, but certainly has enough mobility in the shorter strides and turns needed to be good in the D zone.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Why is everyone going nuts trying to get an impact forward? When healthy and clicking this team is probably top 3 in the league and likely the most balanced roster of all.

I think you need to get your face out of the #'s, which don't even back up this wild claim, and watch more hockey.

The Rangers roster is faulty. They could use both an impact LW and another gritty forward for the bottom 6.

Punxrocknyc19*

Del Zotto to TB for Connolly and Gudas?

Funny thing is that I did something like that in NHL 14. It was Girardi to Bolts fot Connolly Kucharov, Gudas and 2ed 2014. Traded Del Zotto Boyle and Pouliot for E.Kane, Sutter,3rd and 4th 2014.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If you adhere to a philosophy of "Edmonton sucks, they must be getting ready to do SOMETHING," then you're basically opening yourself up to any rumor running wild, as the Yakupov one did the last couple of days.

The team said they are not trading him - many respected hockey analysts said they're not trading him. Thats good enough for me. Im going to go with that over your backseat perception of the situation.

Bleed, come on, you are simplifying it tremendously by referring to EDM "sucking".

EDM has been rebuilding for 7-8 years. They have gathered a tremendous core of young super skilled players.

Obviously not this season, while it probably was their plan, they gotta start to compete sooner rather than later, because only after that process is started, it will take several years to become a real contender. They have had a bit of bad luck, because RNH/Hall/Yaks aren't Crosby/AO/Malkin. But they still got plenty of talent for sure.

For me its clear as day that the front-office of EDM gotta some work infront of them.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Compared to some of the top teams in the league, the Rangers roster isn't all that balanced. Still too many question marks at forward and not enough offense on the back end. Pouliot, Brassard, and Zucc are inconsistent and have been throughout much of their careers. It's hard to tell which Richards will show up each game - the one who is capable of executing a pass or the one who will turn over the puck. Kreider looks good now but will he keep it up?

I'm also not sure if we have enough two-way players or grit to survive the playoff grind. There is definitely room for improvement with this roster.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think you need to get your face out of the #'s, which don't even back up this wild claim, and watch more hockey.

The Rangers roster is faulty. They could use both an impact LW and another gritty forward for the bottom 6.

BRB, what is your thought on Gudas? I am curious because I haven't seen him play and you normally shoot pretty straight.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Why is everyone going nuts trying to get an impact forward? When healthy and clicking this team is probably top 3 in the league and likely the most balanced roster of all. For the past ten games the Rangers have been playing fantastic hockey but have been unlucky with the percentages, and we saw what happens when this team gets some bounces in the Canes and Pens games.

Look at our healthy roster:

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Zuccarello
Pouliot-Brassard-Callahan
Moore-Boyle-Dorsett

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Strålman
Moore-Del Zotto

Lundqvist
Talbot

Hagelin-Nash was the best 5v5 forward duo in the league last season and Richards is playing a lot better. Our current 1st line that everyone is fawning over is suddenly our 2nd line. That 3rd line is as good as many 2nd lines in this league. The 4th is at worst one of the top 3 4th lines in the league. All-in-all probably the deepest forward corps in the league.

We have a similarly deep defence which has allowed AV to basically roll the pairing 5v5 although the top pairing has gotten the toughest minutes and the bottom pairing the easiest. The only weakness is Girardi at 1RD, but that is likely the toughest position to fill. The top pairing defencemen that could be gotten by trade are unfortunately all left handed (I'm primarily thinking about Ehrhoff and Campbell). We're not getting Karlsson, Subban, Pietrangelo, Doughty, Weber, etc. in a trade. Who could we get? Maybe Gilbert out of Florida. Is he an upgrade, who knows? Probably not.

Look, if Edmonton suddenly wants to give away Yakupov for nothing (say Del Zotto or Kreider and a pick) you have to jump on that. But that is in all likelihood not going to happen. So to add an "impact forward" we will likely do more damage to our roster than the value the forward will add.

But even then, let's say we trade for Eberle with only Del Zotto and prospects/picks:

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Eberle
Zuccarello-Brassard-Callahan
Pouliot-Boyle-Dorsett

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Strålman
Moore-Falk

We upgrade our forward corps, sure, but not by the same amount as say the Penguins or Devils would with a similar trade. Instead we are once again a two pairing defence as Moore-Falk will get very limited minutes. On top of all this we have a major cap problem and will likely have to let Girardi and/or Callahan go. The cap issue wouldn't occur with Yakupov, but the other issues would appear.

In essence we have created a lot of problems for a not that big of an upgrade.

Our roster is balanced and beginning to gel, if we get Nash back before the playoffs we can mount a serious challenge for the cup.

Stay, the, course.

When will Nash be healthy? Not saying to tear it all down, but we are without our best forward for who knows how long.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Is anyone as immobile as John Erskine? :laugh: Closer to Bryan Allen.

Matt Carkner.

His stats from his younger days remind me of Douglas Murray and that's who he reminded me of when I saw him play the (1) game I have seen him in but that's too small a sample size.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Matt Carkner.

His stats from his younger days remind me of Douglas Murray and that's who he reminded me of when I saw him play the (1) game I have seen him in but that's too small a sample size.

Fair enough on Carkner. Doug Murray is a good comparison (not modern-day cement skates Doug Murray).

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
BRB, what is your thought on Gudas? I am curious because I haven't seen him play and you normally shoot pretty straight.

Cant comment - havent seen him play either.

I still have zero idea why this organization can't develop bottom 6 players.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Bleed, come on, you are simplifying it tremendously by referring to EDM "sucking".

EDM has been rebuilding for 7-8 years. They have gathered a tremendous core of young super skilled players.

Obviously not this season, while it probably was their plan, they gotta start to compete sooner rather than later, because only after that process is started, it will take several years to become a real contender. They have had a bit of bad luck, because RNH/Hall/Yaks aren't Crosby/AO/Malkin. But they still got plenty of talent for sure.

For me its clear as day that the front-office of EDM gotta some work infront of them.

Look, Im not doubting that Edmonton is going to make a move. I have my doubts that it'll involve one of the core set of highly drafted forwards. And Im pretty convinced that if they did trade one of those guys, it'd be for a player who makes more of an impact than Michael Del Zotto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad