Rumor: Trade Rumors & Proposals Thread | McLeod, You Wanna Get Nuts? Let's Get Nuts!

Who Do We Sign After McLeod and Bouchard Are Extended?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Holloway likely stays....Lavoie ...does he make it through training camp or do they give him a couple of real games to get a taste an motivation before they send him down.
Lavoie made a pretty large blunder with his contract signing IMO. He signed for $100k more than minimum, and with how tight the Oilers are going to be to cap this year, it might be the reason why he plays in the minors over the bigs. Pretty stupid on his and his agents side. Take a guy like Caggiula for example. The difference in on ice production between him and Lavoie is likely to be almost non-existent on 4th line, but Drake is $100K cheaper.

I think the best move for these guys is to sign somewhere they can play a bigger role (non contender). They can be traded at 50%, and the team that signs them can get a pick at the deadline. Win/win.

I feel like for Toews, he will just wait until the midway point in the season and sign wherever he feels would be a fun place to go for it all.

Yup this would be my play as a UFA. Stack up some points on a bad team (playing higher in the lineup than you would on good team), sign for a little more with the bad team (as they aren't in cap-hell generally) and then get traded to contender at trade deadline. The team wins as it costs them nothing, the player gets more points in the regular season to help with next contract negotiations, and ends up playing in the playoffs.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Lavoie made a pretty large blunder with his contract signing IMO. He signed for $100k more than minimum, and with how tight the Oilers are going to be to cap this year, it might be the reason why he plays in the minors over the bigs. Pretty stupid on his and his agents side. Take a guy like Caggiula for example. The difference in on ice production between him and Lavoie is likely to be almost non-existent on 4th line, but Drake is $100K cheaper.

Yup this would be my play as a UFA. Stack up some points on a bad team (playing higher in the lineup than you would on good team), sign for a little more with the bad team (as they aren't in cap-hell generally) and then get traded to contender at trade deadline. The team wins as it costs them nothing, the player gets more points in the regular season to help with next contract negotiations, and ends up playing in the playoffs.
I don’t think Lavoie care’s honestly. If his cap hit is too high to fit in, and the Oilers can’t fit him in, he probably thinks another team will claim him. Not sure it really matters. Team wont be able to run 22 regardless after McLeod and Bouchard sign.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don’t think Lavoie care’s honestly. If his cap hit is too high to fit in, and the Oilers can’t fit him in, he probably thinks another team will claim him. Not sure it really matters. Team wont be able to run 22 regardless after McLeod and Bouchard sign.
If he isn't claimed he makes peanuts in the AHL. IMO a very bad decision by him and his agent. I would've tried to get a $775K NHL Deal and at least $150K on the AHL side of that deal.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
If he isn't claimed he makes peanuts in the AHL. IMO a very bad decision by him and his agent. I would've tried to get a $775K NHL Deal and at least $150K on the AHL side of that deal.
I guess he's confident there is a huge gaping RW spot open for the taking between him and Bourgault, possibly both -- and knows we can't afford to bring in anyone else.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
The only logical explanation for why Lavoie would sign that QO is that his agent has received signals from other teams that they would likely claim him if waived, and give him an NHL shot. I could definitely see SJ, ARI, CHI, CGY, ANA taking a flier on Lavoie at his NHL ticket. In the end, he is betting on himself and should be motivated to make a strong impression at camp.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Lavoie is VERY unlikely to be claimed. Could it happen? Yeah I guess so, but it's not likely. Most teams have 2-3 players like him already.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I guess he's confident there is a huge gaping RW spot open for the taking between him and Bourgault, possibly both -- and knows we can't afford to bring in anyone else.

But Bourg has the clear edge over him right now. Higher draft pick, not waiver eligible, and 2 years younger while producing better as same ages. Brougs draft+2 season (0.55 PPG in AHL) was slightly better than Lavoie's draft+3 was (0.47 PPG in AHL) and not that far off his draft+4 this year (0.74 PPG in AHL). The only thing Bourg has going against him is the cap, which is even a little higher than Lavoie's is ($50k higher), and he is bigger than Bourg, although is seemingly allergic to contact, so doesn't take advantage of that size. Bourg isn't his competition though, Caggiula likely is.

Lavoie is good enough prospect, but he's not that great to be honest.

Edit: Just did quick rough roster lineup, and assuming we actually sign McLeod, Lavoie is competing about 4 other players for the final 1 spot in the 12 man forward group. If we run a 21 man roster, with 12 F, 7 D and 2 G as is expected, there is no 13th forward. Holloway and Ryan basically have spots locked down in the bottom 6, likely 4th line, and that leaves: Pederson-Caggiula-Lavoie-Tullio-Bourg as the likely candidates for that final spot. I'll be pretty surprised myself if it doesn't end up being Cagg. I suppose they might break camp with Lavoie, knowing that Caggs is exceptionally unlikely to be claimed on waivers, but that is assuming they can afford that 100k difference in the cap hit. Which again brings me back to the point of: signing that contract was really dumb.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Lavoie is VERY unlikely to be claimed. Could it happen? Yeah I guess so, but it's not likely. Most teams have 2-3 players like him already.
I don't see him getting claimed either.

So its kind of silly that he didn't sign for league minimum. I suppose it shows great self confidence, which I like. If he looks like our Kostin replacement then you'd think we find a way. Even then, Kostins low cap hit is what gave him that great opportunity to stick in the lineup. I know it's all over a couple 100k but that's huge if it means the difference between having an extra skater or not

Reactions: McDoused

duul

Jun 21, 2010
But Bourg has the clear edge over him right now. Higher draft pick, not waiver eligible, and 2 years younger while producing better as same ages. Brougs draft+2 season (0.55 PPG in AHL) was slightly better than Lavoie's draft+3 was (0.47 PPG in AHL) and not that far off his draft+4 this year (0.74 PPG in AHL). The only thing Bourg has going against him is the cap, which is even a little higher than Lavoie's is ($50k higher), and he is bigger than Bourg, although is seemingly allergic to contact, so doesn't take advantage of that size. Bourg isn't his competition though, Caggiula likely is.

Lavoie is good enough prospect, but he's not that great to be honest.

Edit: Just did quick rough roster lineup, and assuming we actually sign McLeod, Lavoie is competing about 4 other players for the final 1 spot in the 12 man forward group. If we run a 21 man roster, with 12 F, 7 D and 2 G as is expected, there is no 13th forward. Holloway and Ryan basically have spots locked down in the bottom 6, likely 4th line, and that leaves: Pederson-Caggiula-Lavoie-Tullio-Bourg as the likely candidates for that final spot. I'll be pretty surprised myself if it doesn't end up being Cagg. I suppose they might break camp with Lavoie, knowing that Caggs is exceptionally unlikely to be claimed on waivers, but that is assuming they can afford that 100k difference in the cap hit. Which again brings me back to the point of: signing that contract was really dumb.
There's no shot they give a spot like that to Caggiula over Lavoie or Bourgault given Caggiula is set in what he is as a player. His potential has been tapped out. Guy spent all of last year in the AHL and is at this point a veteran of the league. Lavoie and Bourgault are two guys who can still make an impact at the big leagues, just need their chance like the one Caggiula got here. There's no chance in hell they put Caggiula into the lineup over Lavoie and Bourgault unless both of the rookies completely shit the bed. Especially at the start of a season where we need to see what we have in various players.

Wild card is Pederson as I've never seen him play really. Don't know much about him but again, he's a centre and we really need one of Lavoie or Bourgault to turn into an impact level type guy. To me I think it's guaranteed one of them is on the opening day roster. Both if we go with 13-6 which is still a possibility.

Reactions: Mr Kot

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
There's no shot they give a spot like that to Caggiula over Lavoie or Bourgault given Caggiula is set in what he is as a player. His potential has been tapped out. Guy spent all of last year in the AHL and is at this point a veteran of the league. Lavoie and Bourgault are two guys who can still make an impact at the big leagues, just need their chance like the one Caggiula got here. There's no chance in hell they put Caggiula into the lineup over Lavoie and Bourgault unless both of the rookies completely shit the bed. Especially at the start of a season where we need to see what we have in various players.

Wild card is Pederson as I've never seen him play really. Don't know much about him but again, he's a centre and we really need one of Lavoie or Bourgault to turn into an impact level type guy. To me I think it's guaranteed one of them is on the opening day roster. Both if we go with 13-6 which is still a possibility.

I think we'll be surprised how much 282 NHL GP counts for the 4th line when it comes to Cagg. He is likely to make the safe play more times than not, whereas Lavoie isn't exactly known for his 2-way play. We need our 4th line to not get caved in, they don't need to outscore with how dominant our top-6 and PP are. Just don't bleed goals. I think the coaching staff will have more faith in Cagg doing that than Lavoie. I actually think Bourg would have advantage here as well, as his 2-way game is supposed to be pretty good for a young guy.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I think we'll be surprised how much 282 NHL GP counts for the 4th line when it comes to Cagg. He is likely to make the safe play more times than not, whereas Lavoie isn't exactly known for his 2-way play. We need our 4th line to not get caved in, they don't need to outscore with how dominant our top-6 and PP are. Just don't bleed goals. I think the coaching staff will have more faith in Cagg doing that than Lavoie. I actually think Bourg would have advantage here as well, as his 2-way game is supposed to be pretty good for a young guy.
I agree that Bourgault has a better shot, I think he is a lock honestly. I'm real high on him, even moreso than Holloway and I think he would fit better with the top guys than Connor Brown if he ends up playing to his potential. He's amazing with the puck, real smooth and makes beautiful passes. Guys like Hyman, Brown, Kane -- while talented in their own respect are not playmakers by any stretch of the imagination, at least in terms of distributing the puck. Hyman is sort of the anti-playmaker/passer type. I think when Bourgault gets into his groove and accustomed to the NHL level he is a surefire top 6 guy. Marchessault type. Point is, these guys must be getting sufficient ice time to start the year over career fringe guys.

If they falter badly and we need to shore things up, you look to Pederson and Caggiula, which is hilarious because they're both AHL fodder level players, but veteran to the point where they might be slightly more trusted to play a safer game.

Lavoie I really don't know what to expect. I do expect Bourgault to make an impact though. He's way too good with the puck not to, even if it's just deferring to one of Drai or Davo, he can do it better than most players on the roster.

Reactions: Mr Kot and McDoused

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Lavoie is 6'4 220+ RH shoot first player. Guy is going to get his NHL shot one way or another.
If he deserves it from his showing in preseason. They might try to send Lavoie down early when most players pass through waivers. It's teams' last cuts that usually get picked off on waivers.

If Lavoie doesn't start impressing from the start of camp it's in the clubs interest to cut him quickly. Then he'll pass through waivers easily.

If he's the last cut you can all but guarantee Lavoie will be claimed. Or at least there is a much higher chance of it when clubs may identify Lavoie as a better option than what they already have.

In the end it's up to Lavoie but I'd rather have him in the Oilers' organization for another season to marinade, and be a possible call up, than see him playing for some other club.

If Lavoie gets cut after a preseason game or two it should be understood that it was a wise strategic move on part of the Oilers. If they cut Lavoie after the last preseason game and gets claimed it's an Oilers' blunder and waste of an asset.
I agree that Bourgault has a better shot, I think he is a lock honestly. I'm real high on him, even moreso than Holloway and I think he would fit better with the top guys than Connor Brown if he ends up playing to his potential. He's amazing with the puck, real smooth and makes beautiful passes. Guys like Hyman, Brown, Kane -- while talented in their own respect are not playmakers by any stretch of the imagination, at least in terms of distributing the puck. Hyman is sort of the anti-playmaker/passer type. I think when Bourgault gets into his groove and accustomed to the NHL level he is a surefire top 6 guy. Marchessault type. Point is, these guys must be getting sufficient ice time to start the year over career fringe guys.

If they falter badly and we need to shore things up, you look to Pederson and Caggiula, which is hilarious because they're both AHL fodder level players, but veteran to the point where they might be slightly more trusted to play a safer game.

Lavoie I really don't know what to expect. I do expect Bourgault to make an impact though. He's way too good with the puck not to, even if it's just deferring to one of Drai or Davo, he can do it better than most players on the roster.
My money is on Pederson as a RS center making the cut. Then if we have a 13th forward it's likely Caggiula, who's an upgrade on Shore.

It will be interesting to see who gets those spots. I 100% concur with you it would be advantageous developmentally to have Lavoie and Bourgault take those roster spots but I don't expect they'll beat out Pederson and Caggiula.

Reactions: Duke74

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
This has been such an underwhelming summer for the Oilers but given our cap situation, I'm not surprised. Sucks that we're struggling to even keep our current players (McLeod and Bouchard).

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Bourgault sent down before camp is over ...Lavoie might get a game or two at the end of camp.
Neither have reached a a defensive level that Woodcroft will like. Lavoie only started showing some capability this past year but at his rate is still a year away (if ever). Maybe Bourgault gets a cup of coffee after Xmas so they can see where he is at with NHL speed.

I wonder what kenny's relationship with Sweeny is. Hopefully better than Chia's.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Bourgault sent down before camp is over ...Lavoie might get a game or two at the end of camp.
Neither have reached a a defensive level that Woodcroft will like. Lavoie only started showing some capability this past year but at his rate is still a year away (if ever). Maybe Bourgault gets a cup of coffee after Xmas so they can see where he is at with NHL speed.

I wonder what kenny's relationship with Sweeny is. Hopefully better than Chia's.
At some point you need to give these guys an extended shot. The regular season should be a time to see what you have. The playoffs should pretty much be a lock barring extended injury to McDavid/Leon and even then there is really no excuse to miss.

I think that they should give Lavoie a chance to prove what he can do.

Reactions: Duke74 and Oil53

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Shame that we didn't buy low on DeBrusk as well. There were a few of us a year or two or even three at this point ago who were clamoring over him. What a wonderful type of player to have. Kind of off-topic but yea, I see him there and I see Frederic and they got Bertuzzi as well. Those guys are who you win with. Bennett types as well, Vegas is full of them. Colorado had MacKinnon himself who plays just as aggressive and feisty as them. High intensity, puck control, endless compete level. Opposite of perimeter players. We really do lack them when you start to go through our roster. The only perimeter player on Vegas roster was Kessel from what I can see. Press boxed when the games matter. Required a total buy in from coaching and management to hold players accountable to play a certain way that allows for playoff success.

Reactions: Duke74

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
At some point you need to give these guys an extended shot. The regular season should be a time to see what you have. The playoffs should pretty much be a lock barring extended injury to McDavid/Leon and even then there is really no excuse to miss.

Nothing wrong with these players being call ups and gaining more experience in Bakersfield. The roster is going to be thin and cap space practically nonexistent.

All Lavoie has to do to make the club is be Devin Shore level and if he can't manage that he needs to be improving his game in the AHL.

If the club doesn't strategically manage the roster they may lose Lavoie to waivers. In my estimation it's about exploiting the correct time period so you can shimmy these players down without leaving yourself open to predation. Not a lot of depth on the farm left to call up if you lose Lavoie.

Don't be surprised if better players can be found on the waiver wire but the Oilers will be well down the claimant list to start the season. Most likely for the entire season.

Shame that we didn't buy low on DeBrusk as well. There were a few of us a year or two or even three at this point ago who were clamoring over him. What a wonderful type of player to have. Kind of off-topic but yea, I see him there and I see Frederic and they got Bertuzzi as well. Those guys are who you win with. Bennett types as well, Vegas is full of them. Colorado had MacKinnon himself who plays just as aggressive and feisty as them. High intensity, puck control, endless compete level. Opposite of perimeter players. We really do lack them when you start to go through our roster. The only perimeter player on Vegas roster was Kessel from what I can see. Press boxed when the games matter. Required a total buy in from coaching and management to hold players accountable to play a certain way that allows for playoff success.
Nobody talks about it but Vegas is a heavy club. So is Colorado. The Oilers are clearly behind both.

Reactions: Duke74 and McDoused

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta

Lavoie is just starting to become the player he can be....he would get crushed with too much ice time at the NHL level. Better to lead in the A. His confidence level is way up now....6 months of playing both sides of the puck much better for him right now. He still has a chance to be a player but not if you dump him in the deep end right now.

Reactions: Duke74 and McDoused
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia