Rumor: Trade Rumors & Proposals Thread | Free Agent Frenzy, Will Oilers Fans Have Any Good Oilers News on Canada Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
It might be worth hanging on to our cap space, though, since it accrues through the season and 1M in space lets us afford a 4M player at the deadline
Totally agree. Even more so since if we finish under the cap it gets applied to Connor Browns bonuses so there would be less carry-over into next year. I doubt that will come into play as I’m sure we’ll blow our wad at the deadline but who knows?

Last edited:
Reactions: ChaoticOrange

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
LA regressed in my mind - I really dont think PLD is a great player and he disappears.

100%.

And the players they gave up were very good. Durzi was 2nd in minutes on their defense core. Tearing him out for a replacement level player is a huge risk and makes them worse.

Kupari has a fair amount of potential.

Iafollo is just a good loyal soldier good for 30-40 points; was on pace for 50 points last year. Viliardi was a consistent loyal soldier with a ton of talent, could easily be better than PLD when it's all said and done; also on pace for 58 points.

They didn't get younger. PLD is 26. Viliardi is 23. Durzi is 23. Iafollo is only 28. Kupari is 21.

They spent more cap. Iafollo + Durzi + Viliardi is a lower cap hit than PLD + replacement D at league min + replacement forward at league min.

In terms of offense alone la traded 108 projected points or 79 actual points for 85 projected points or 78 actual points, assuming that the 750k replacement level player scores 15 points. In terms of defense, at times Dubois is more dubious than dutiful; he's not kopitar or Danault where you happy giving them a McDavid or Draisaitl diet for a game, let alone a series.

The kings lost depth, which was one of their biggest strengths, for not really a big gain in start power. Frankly PLD is only moderately better than Viliardi at best, and they just straight lost iafollo for nothing. That makes them an easier team to play against particularly since it was our depth that outshone them last season.

PLD is probably one of the most boom bust streaky players in the league. He's great when he's on... But you barely notice he's playing half the time. That's a far cry from Viliardi and Iafollo that just bust their ass for you all game every game. And the cherry on top as an Oilers fan is that PLD has been consistently bust against Edmonton; 7 points and -9 in 19 games versus Edmonton has got to be particularly hard to swallow for kings fans that know they'll run into us in the playoffs this year. Especially when Viliardi and Iafollo are more or less Oilers killers with how they produce against us compared to the rest of the league.

Rob Blake jumped the shark on this one, imo.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
And that 21 man roster LA has will be within $100-200K of the cap. This means they will have almost no accrued cap space at the deadline with no one really to move out to gain extra space barring a regular season ending injury.

Vegas will be cap complaint once Lehner is on LTIR, but I also think they are a slightly weaker team than last year. Losing Smith is significant. Barbashev was already there so while he replaces Smith to a degree its a net loss form the playoffs. I also think the Stone and AP could very well be much less effective if injuries bite.

And a 21 man roster is frankly just brutal.

Good call on Vegas LTIR though. I missed Lehner.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
100%.

And the players they gave up were very good. Durzi was 2nd in minutes on their defense core. Tearing him out for a replacement level player is a huge risk and makes them worse.

Iafollo is just a good loyal soldier good for 30-40 points; was on pace for 50 points last year. Viliardi was a consistent loyal soldier with a ton of talent, could easily be better than PLD when it's all said and done; also on pace for 58 points.

They didn't get younger. PLD is 26. Viliardi is 23. Durzi is 23. Iafollo is only 28. Kupari is 21.

They spent more cap. Iafollo + Durzi + Viliardi is a lower cap hit than PLD + replacement D at league min + replacement forward at league min.

In terms of offense alone la traded 108 projected points or 79 actual points for 85 projected points or 78 actual points, assuming that the 750k replacement level player scores 15 points. In terms of defense, at times Dubois is more dubious than dutiful; he's not kopitar or Danault where you happy giving them a McDavid or Draisaitl diet for a game, let alone a series.

The kings lost depth, which was one of their biggest strengths, for not really a big gain in start power. Frankly PLD is only moderately better than Viliardi at best, and they just straight lost iafollo for nothing. That makes them an easier team to play against particularly since it was our depth that outshone them last season.

PLD is probably one of the most boom bust streaky players in the league. He's great when he's on... But you barely notice he's playing half the time. That's a far cry from Viliardi and Iafollo that just bust their ass for you all game every game. And the cherry on top as an Oilers fan is that PLD has been consistently bust against Edmonton; 7 points and -9 in 19 games versus Edmonton has got to be particularly hard to swallow for kings fans that know they'll run into us in the playoffs this year. Especially when Viliardi and Iafollo are more or less Oilers killers with how they produce against us compared to the rest of the league.

Chevy really is the best GM in Canada, surprised he got that kind of a haul for a player that very clearly wanted out.

He just has never gotten the benefit of a McDavid, Matthews, Draisaitl, or even probably Tkachuk level player.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Chevy really is the best GM in Canada, surprised he got that kind of a haul for a player that very clearly wanted out.

He just has never gotten the benefit of a McDavid, Matthews, Draisaitl, or even probably Tkachuk level player.

He did a pretty solid job building through the draft, he also straight never loses a trade.

I do think he's kind of week at roster construction. He's the GM you want before you get the GM that wins you the cup, but I don't think he's the guy that gets you over the hill.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He did a pretty solid job building through the draft, he also straight never loses a trade.

I do think he's kind of week at roster construction. He's the GM you want before you get the GM that wins you the cup, but I don't think he's the guy that gets you over the hill.

I'd love to have had him here, we already have McDavid and Draisaitl in the bag by 2015, the team he could build around those two instead of Schiefle and Wheeler as his best players would be something.

He's the only GM in Canada that I think is "good" at his job. All the others range from average to mediocre to just flat out bad.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I think some GM's get shafted by the players that they have being malcontents/chokers despite putting together good teams and I think he fits in that category.

On paper they should be much better than they are, but Schiefele and Wheeler are both cancers in their own way which derailed what he's doing there. He built a good team, but the personalities don't work.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yes, but they had to punt Reilly Smith out the door for nothing to be able to do it. That's a significant hit to their depth.
Reilly Smith stopped being significant to vegas quite awhile ago and was snakebit pretty much all playoffs. At age 32 he's far past peak and even though one of the Originals it would be a mistake to retain him at the cost of losing elsehwhere in the lineup.

Sometimes you have to cut bait with a player. He's not integral to their club.

Smith was fed constantly and blowing chances all playoffs. If other guys didn't heat up that would've been a problem for Vegas.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Reilly Smith stopped being significant to vegas quite awhile ago and was snakebit pretty much all playoffs. At age 32 he's far past peak and even though one of the Originals it would be a mistake to retain him at the cost of losing elsehwhere in the lineup.

Smith was fed constantly and blowing chances all playoffs. If other guys didn't heat up that would've been a problem for Vegas.

On the other side of that coin Barbashev was shooting the lights out in a way he never has before and may never again. In any case, they lost some depth and they are better with both of these guys instead of one.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Smith had 26 goals and 56 points for Vegas and they traded him for nothing, and even "snakebit" he still had 14 points for them in the playoffs.

I never said he was integral, but anytime you lose a 25 goal scorer for nothing, it's going to cost you on the ice. Their ability to ice a guy like Smith on their third line was part of what made them such a handful.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It shouldn't really even matter what Vegas/LA do unless it's like adding a superstar player ... we have the two best players in the division. We were 18-2-1 whatever down the stretch.

It's not about other teams. It's about us, if we want to win the division, that's more than doable, I don't really give a shit about debating the merits of a Reilly Smith or even PLD in/Villardi out.

More specifically it's on Woodcroft to make sure he doesn't have a sloppy ass training camp this year and he better have some kind of defensive adjustments this year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Smith had 26 goals and 56 points for Vegas and they traded him for nothing, and even "snakebit" he still had 14 points for them in the playoffs.

I never said he was integral, but anytime you lose a 25 goal scorer for nothing, it's going to cost you on the ice. Their ability to ice a guy like Smith on their third line was part of what made them such a handful.
Vegas will inevitably pull another rabbit out of a hat because they don't care about loyalty or draft picks.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Smith was fed constantly and blowing chances all playoffs. If other guys didn't heat up that would've been a problem for Vega
Unless his name is Kostin. ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Unless his name is Kostin. ;)
haha

I just really like the player, and see a ton of upside there. We'll see how it all pans out. But different getting rid of an older player when keeping him would be for mostly sentimental reasons, and getting rid of a player that is young with lots of promise.

Years hence people will probably wonder why Nuge got his longterm. Its depressing to think he'll at some point be the top center on the team again or whatever he would be at that time.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Yeah but if you've watched Vegas and Smith in recent seasons his this year was an outlier. The almost constant with him for years was blowing scoring chances. he had 4 goals in playoffs on a ton of chances and several basically open net to shoot at chances.

He's a good player, I've liked him lots but a team has to pick and choose usually after a cup win.

Barbashev was a big add for Vegas. Karlson reawakening his scoring touch was good too and frankly Karlsson was such a solid 200ft player the whole season and playoffs. That used to be Smith territory but I feel he's fallen off there too. Karlsson scoring 11 goals in playoffs was huge for Vegas. he found his finish mitts at the right time, and really no bigger time.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
On the other side of that coin Barbashev was shooting the lights out in a way he never has before and may never again. In any case, they lost some depth and they are better with both of these guys instead of one.
Again difference being Vegas won their cup. Thats the goal of any franchise. After a cup win there will be players moving on, invariably. Still bums me out we lost to them and only won 6 playoff games this year with the two best players in the world. Moreso the reason and way we lost.

Barbashev has a career shooting $ of 17%. Barbashev had two complete seasons where his shooting % was 23%. he lights the lamp. Its his strongpoint calling card. I don't see him falling off the map.

The Contract isn't so bad for Vegas because they are renewing Barbs at prime, age 27.

The bolded is wrong.

Kanedogg

Apr 23, 2023
Playing well in mop up time doesn't mean anything. Considering how poorly he played during the regular season and forcing us into using a rookie, the small sample size doesn't pass the smell test.
We don't know if it's a small size. Skinner started every game off with fans wondering if this is another night he let's in half a dozen.

Again it's woodcroft who should have given Campbell a start who failed with his management. Campbell was reliable and his "mop up time" jibe in overtime is comical.

I guess some people see what they want to see.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
100%.

I fell for the Durzi thing a year ago too. He was awful inthis season, and in playoffs, just awful, get off the ice awful. McLellan was widely critiqued for playing Durzi so much. I felt he was admirable year before playoffs but the dropoff, severe.

Kupari has never done a thing and isn't likely too. Too peripheral, too cute. Makes some nice looking moves with puck that fail. Don't think he's going to put it together.

Iafallo is in decline and injury problems. Regression imminent.

With Dubois its possible he'll be better in the right environment and team. Vilardi just can't stop gettting injured.

Going with older Talbot kind of a weird move. LA are really, really old, bang on that one.

Movarare is better than Durzi imo. But hasn't got much looks. They have a replacement right there. Its arguable Spence is around what Durzi is. In anycase this season Kings have Gavrikov instead of Durzi, thats a win.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
It shouldn't really even matter what Vegas/LA do unless it's like adding a superstar player ... we have the two best players in the division. We were 18-2-1 whatever down the stretch.

It's not about other teams. It's about us, if we want to win the division, that's more than doable, I don't really give a shit about debating the merits of a Reilly Smith or even PLD in/Villardi out.

More specifically it's on Woodcroft to make sure he doesn't have a sloppy ass training camp this year and he better have some kind of defensive adjustments this year.
“What other teams do shouldn’t matter unless I can somehow spin it so I can shit on the Oilers”

Because we all know if other teams significantly improved while the Oilers didn’t make any moves you’d be in here raging about other teams in the division getting better while Holland does nothing.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
“What other teams do shouldn’t matter unless I can somehow spin it so I can shit on the Oilers”

Because we all know if other teams significantly improved while the Oilers didn’t make any moves you’d be in here raging about other teams in the division getting better while Holland does nothing.

Did you just gloss over the "unless they add a superstar player" part?

Is saying we should win the division because we have the two best players by a country mile in the division a positive or negative statement again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad