Rumor: Trade Rumors & Proposals Thread | Free Agent Frenzy, Will Oilers Fans Have Any Good Oilers News on Canada Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
And that 21 man roster LA has will be within $100-200K of the cap. This means they will have almost no accrued cap space at the deadline with no one really to move out to gain extra space barring a regular season ending injury.

Vegas will be cap complaint once Lehner is on LTIR, but I also think they are a slightly weaker team than last year. Losing Smith is significant. Barbashev was already there so while he replaces Smith to a degree its a net loss form the playoffs. I also think the Stone and AP could very well be much less effective if injuries bite.

You’re forgetting that Stone will go on LTIR the day before the TDL so they can add $10M in salary. Stone will magically be able to be 100% for the entirety of the playoffs however.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Holland needs to start negotiating with some players who get McDrai exposure more effectively.

Yam for instance put up obscenely terrible point totals next to Drai before getting 3.1MM when drai still had like 70 EV points to Yams 30.

Bouchard playing ride along on the PP should definitely not warrant a $9MM contract when Makar got $9MM and is the vastly better player at both ends.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Holland needs to start negotiating with some players who get McDrai exposure more effectively.

Yam for instance put up obscenely terrible point totals next to Drai before getting 3.1MM when drai still had like 70 EV points to Yams 30.

Bouchard playing ride along on the PP should definitely not warrant a $9MM contract when Makar got $9MM and is the vastly better player at both ends.
Sure but Bouchard's comparable isn't Cale f***ing Makar.

It's annoying how many of you are setting the dominos to hate Bouchard for not being Nik Lidstrom, basically.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Because he will be a star and part of the greatest PP in NHL history. Just because your boy Broberg hasn’t shown anything yet doesn’t mean Bouchard is not a star in the making .
That's not shit... I don't give a f*** if Bouchard scores 70 points because of being on an all-star powerplay with the two best players in the world.

You don't pay this guy top dollar. He'll improve a bit but not that much. You need a star to player to play with Bouchard right now so he's passable 5-on-5 in his own zone. This aspect of the game is foreign to him. And that's on the second pairing. Place him on the first pairing and see what the f*** happens.

You think I give a f*** about Broberg one iota more than his true value? Trade Broberg for all I f***ing care. I have to say this on a daily f***ing basis now.
That's the going rate for 80 point defensemen, and 80 might be a conservative guess.

It's actually pretty imperative Holland gets more than 1 year on Bouchard's bridge for this reason.
Bullshit. If even one GM in the NHL thinks even remotely as highly of Bouchard as you do trade him to that knucklehead yesterday.

• Haha
Reactions: CycloneSweep

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Sure but Bouchard's comparable isn't Cale f***ing Makar.

It's annoying how many of you are setting the dominos to hate Bouchard for not being Nik Lidstrom, basically.
Not sure what you are getting at here regarding my post, I am a big Bouchard fan.

Just saying to the person who is of the opinion Bouch gets $9MM that I think that is bad negotiating on Hollands part if Bouch landed there.

My point is you look at the $9MM cap hits in the league for D and except for some bad contracts Bouchard has done nothing to warrant that until he is obscenely good 5x5 i.e. 45+ EV points and then couple that with 30+ PP points and he is getting there.

If he can do this I have no issue paying the man as that is what we want him to turn into.

Edit: whole point is stop putting the cart before the horse and if someone has inflated point totals due to McDrai stop paying for that - i.e. if Connor Brown puts up 80 points next to McDavid this year and asks for $7MM+ that is an easy hell no you dont do that without riding shotgun.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Hamonic at $1.1m for 2 years.
That's a good deal for a very solid third pairing D. Was hoping we could get him at similar value.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Not sure what you are getting at here I am a big Bouchard fan.

Just saying to the person who is of the opinion Bouch gets $9MM that I think that is bad negotiating on Hollands part if Bouch landed there.

My point is you look at the $9MM cap hits in the league for D and except for some bad contracts Bouchard has done nothing to warrant that until he is obscenely good 5x5 i.e. 45+ EV points and then couple that with 30+ PP points and he is getting there.

If he can do this I have no issue paying the man as that is what we want him to turn into.
If Bouchard gets $9M it's because that's the going rate for a player of his skill set at the time. It's why Nate "1 100 point season" MacKinnon makes more than McDavid.

Bouchard is a vastly more complete player than Tyson Barrie and is a comfortably a top-4 defenseman with an elite offensive game.

I suspect he'll keep improving and developing to become a better overall defenseman.

But until he gets into the conversation, his comparables are not Norris trophy winners.

Reactions: Vagabond

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
If Bouchard gets $9M it's because that's the going rate for a player of his skill set at the time. It's why Nate "1 100 point season" MacKinnon makes more than McDavid.

Bouchard is a vastly more complete player than Tyson Barrie and is a comfortably a top-4 defenseman with an elite offensive game.

I suspect he'll keep improving and developing to become a better overall defenseman.

But until he gets into the conversation, his comparables are not Norris trophy winners.
I appreciate Bouchard’s offensive game but I personally don’t see a complete player. Not even close to one. Most of the time, Bouchard is a liability in his own end like Barrie and Klingberg

I hope and think he will improve but right now, he’s pretty 1 dimensional

Reactions: TB12 and Drivesaitl

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Looking at the remaining right shot ufa's. Pretty slim pickings. Would any of these guys a be a fit:

C/RW Oskar Sundqvist
RW Vinnie Hinostroza
RW Austin Watson

?

Macblender

May 5, 2014

For sure - I can agree with all of what you say - and % of cap is a better proxy for contract at the time it is signed. Even moving to an 88.5M cap you have to be an amazing player to warrant a $9M+ cap hit as a $9M defenceman the past few years only gets pushed to $9.65M per with that cap move. Of course his comparables are not Norris trophy winners for now, which is why my whole argument is stop putting the cart before the horse and saying he should get paid like one unless he does something to clearly warrant it. Edit: I think the people arguing for the big contract are setting more dominos for him to be hated if he isnt Lidstrom per your earlier comment. Look at Nurse he is a good defenseman albeit overpaid if you overpay guys for hot seasons or something like a strong McDrai effect they end up whipping boys even as great players.

I hope he ends up being worthy, but dont just sign him to that if he puts up points if the vast majority come stapled to the best PP in history which the stats community did the P/60 on and it really doesnt matter who is on it as the 4th forward and D as the 3 cogs that drive it and maintain the high scoring rate are McDavid, Drai and Nuge.

If we standardized our PP percentage the D man puts up a lot less points so dont pay for that unless they drive the powerplay which Bouchard does not (at least at this point). Hence why to justify a big cap hit I want to see exceptional EV strength production from him as well.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
So as things stand today,

Vegas is still vegas and the while we have improved somewhat down the right side, the same strategy works against us.
LA is counting on internal growth and likely a deadline purchase of a scoring winger. If they do this they will be better than us too.
Seattle has improved their defense with Dumolin and are hoping Shane is right for the job this year. If so they could challenge us for the 3 slot. Tye Kartye might be ready for them too.
So much for us is riding on Campbell getting his brain unscrambled and for internal growth on our rookie defenseman right now. Foegele - McLeod - Janmark is not the third line we need.
To be certain to get past Vegas--LA Holland needed to fix/upgrade at least 3 of our 6 identifiable weaknesses. He has upgraded at one position and it certainly wasnt the priority.
But things aren't over yet.
But I have serious doubts as whether Holland knows what to do at this point or how to accomplish it given our limitations of Location and Cap.
I love how you have LA betting on internal growth but likely being better than the Oilers, because the Oilers are looking for some internal growth.

Bravo.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
It's painful. I really like Bouchard. Yet posters swear I hate him. I followed Bouchard through his junior days. But he is the most overrated player in hockey... at least on this board. I've followed hockey for a long time and this is the worst case I've ever witnessed.
I would still tap Diane from The Price is Right and she is 78. Puts new meaning to the phrase COME ON DOWN
You'd tap that three years after she passed away. That's the real PLINKO.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That's the going rate for 80 point defensemen, and 80 might be a conservative guess.

It's actually pretty imperative Holland gets more than 1 year on Bouchard's bridge for this reason.
Not sure if serious. Theres a strange lack of looking at attribution in these posts. Bouchard is part of a record PP, but the players like McDrai, Hyman are moving most of those results. Booch and Nuge are essentially good fits on that PP; Remove the primary agents, McDrai and all the rest would change and first unit PP would be indistinguishable from 2nd. Unfortunately in a few years we probably see that occur.

lol as well that Nuge, Hyman contracts extend past the McDrai window. Not sure how many longterms we want to sign like that. Without McDrai its all bust.

edit to edit. sorry. It wasn't clear what you were saying. Not meaning to jump on.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Since I'm now being dogpiled, I never said anything about what I think of Evan Bouchard as a player or what I think fair value for him would be, just for the record.

I talked about what I would do as a strategy to secure the largest possible contract were I him. That's it.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
LA regressed in my mind - I really dont think PLD is a great player and he disappears.
I think so too but most of what they've lost were players you could afford to lose. Villardi the best of the lot but the likelihood that he's ever healthy for a season is slim to none. He's a great talent but a bag of broken bones always getting injured.

With their D structure I could see Talbot doing well there. They don't need much in net. They just need somebody with a pulse in the cage. I liked Korpi, but Talbot should be adequate for their needs.

Reactions: aspin3

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
That's not shit... I don't give a f*** if Bouchard scores 70 points because of being on an all-star powerplay with the two best players in the world.

You don't pay this guy top dollar. He'll improve a bit but not that much. You need a star to player to play with Bouchard right now so he's passable 5-on-5 in his own zone. This aspect of the game is foreign to him. And that's on the second pairing. Place him on the first pairing and see what the f*** happens.

You think I give a f*** about Broberg one iota more than his true value? Trade Broberg for all I f***ing care. I have to say this on a daily f***ing basis now.

Bullshit. If even one GM in the NHL thinks even remotely as highly of Bouchard as you do trade him to that knucklehead yesterday.

You keep saying this nonsense- do you have anything to back up your claims?

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I appreciate Bouchard’s offensive game but I personally don’t see a complete player. Not even close to one. Most of the time, Bouchard is a liability in his own end like Barrie and Klingberg

I hope and think he will improve but right now, he’s pretty 1 dimensional

Based on what, exactly? Before Ekholm got here- Bouchard was our best defenseman. He lead the team in zone denials and second in successful exits (behind McDavid). He had good defensive metrics. I love how Oilers fans pigeonhole players that if they are good offensively they such defensively.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
You keep saying this nonsense- do you have anything to back up your claims?
I've watched a lot of hockey in my lifetime. I've watched Bouchard from his sophomore year in London to present day.

During the 2018 draft I had my fingers crossed that the Oilers would select Bouchard. His flaws remain the same throughout. He's a good player. He will never be a great player.

And for the record, I've stated this numerous times if you want check, I'm fine with 6M x 6 years for Bouchard, but a penny more and I'd move him without hesitation. And that's taking into consideration a substantial hike in the salary cap over the next few seasons.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Based on what, exactly? Before Ekholm got here- Bouchard was our best defenseman. He lead the team in zone denials and second in successful exits (behind McDavid). He had good defensive metrics. I love how Oilers fans pigeonhole players that if they are good offensively they such defensively.
Didn't most of this transition occur with Ekholm or subsequent to him coming here? For sure Booch has made a lot of leaps in confidence lately and that could continue to be the path but I feel as if the player found a lot of game in the last few months of season. Early season still seemed like we were seeing struggling Bouchard. He's young though, not a criticism, just that I don't know he's established long enough for it to be a constant.

I would say Ekholm was our best D after arriving here but noted drop off in playoffs. Booch did have a pretty impressive playoffs I thought.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Our best defenseman pre trade deadline was pretty easily Nurse. Post deadline it was Ekholm and in the playoffs it was Bouchard.

The Evan Bouchard we got in the post season might actually be a 9 million dollar player, but it was only a 12 game sample size which is indicative of nothing if he can't build on it.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Our best defenseman pre trade deadline was pretty easily Nurse. Post deadline it was Ekholm and in the playoffs it was Bouchard.

The Evan Bouchard we got in the post season might actually be a 9 million dollar player, but it was only a 12 game sample size which is indicative of nothing if he can't build on it.
Bouchard scored two even strength points in the playoffs. Ekholm was run ragged covering for him against LA and Vegas even strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad