Rumor: Trade Rumors & Proposals Thread | Free Agent Frenzy, Will Oilers Fans Have Any Good Oilers News on Canada Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Based on what, exactly? Before Ekholm got here- Bouchard was our best defenseman. He lead the team in zone denials and second in successful exits (behind McDavid). He had good defensive metrics. I love how Oilers fans pigeonhole players that if they are good offensively they such defensively.
OH boy.

Idk what season you were watching but Bouchard spent the majority of the season on the bottom pair playing sheltered minutes with Broberg after he struggled early on. But sure, keep looking at those stats without context

I dislike Nurse but I can even admit he was far and away the Oilers best D before Ekholm arrived

Bouchard got babysat by Ekholm at even strength and benefited off a historic PP with McDrai for his points. I'm an Oiler fan but I'm not blinded by bias. Bouchard has great potential but he's not close to a complete player yet

Reactions: jeg and BudBundy

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
LA regressed in my mind - I really dont think PLD is a great player and he disappears.
Yup. I hated that trade from a hockey perspective. I don’t think it was good for LA all.

PLD is lazy and not an impact player to me.

When we played against wpg last year I barely noticed when Dubois was on the ice

I guess we will see

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
OH boy.

Idk what season you were watching but Bouchard spent the majority of the season on the bottom pair playing sheltered minutes with Broberg after he struggled early on. But sure, keep looking at those stats without context

I dislike Nurse but I can even admit he was far and away the Oilers best D before Ekholm arrived

Bouchard got babysat by Ekholm at even strength and benefited off a historic PP with McDrai for his points. I'm an Oiler fan but I'm not blinded by bias. Bouchard has great potential but he's not close to a complete player yet
it was telling that he led the team in even strength TOI in the playoffs (for D). He definitely found another gear in the playoffs. He also had/has a reputation as being a bit of a sleepy player but I thought he was quite intense and engaged.

I do think he was babysat by Ekholm and that unlocked him a bit, but maybe that's just his type of player. Just like Karlsson, who was at his best when he has a partner who covers him, like Methot. And also perhaps Ekholm is the type that fills that role especially well. So maybe even if Bouchard completely finishes his development, he may be the type who always will have a Dpartner who cleans up for him defensively so he can focus on offense more.

Last edited:
Reactions: La Bamba

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You’re forgetting that Stone will go on LTIR the day before the TDL so they can add $10M in salary. Stone will magically be able to be 100% for the entirety of the playoffs however.
There is a legitimate chance that Stone spends time on LTIR. But if he conveniently goes on LTIR from the TDL and then reappears for the start of the playoffs the NHL should throw the book at Vegas. Of course you and I both know that they won't but that could not be a blatant violation of the cap.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
So, any rumours/news, or are we just going to sit and talk about Evan Bouchard for the next 10 pages?
honestly, this thread's most interesting new information will be talk of the Bouchard and McLeod extensions.

I believe we won't see those two sign this summer. It has less to do with them, and more to do with the position the Oilers are in. It's smart for us to squeeze them more right now.

We may see some league min signing for a bottom six right shot center. The only way the player would be interesting would be if they are an older veteran like Toews. But we aren't signing Dumba or Tarasenko or something truly impactful like that. No big trades either

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
honestly, this thread's most interesting new information will be talk of the Bouchard and McLeod extensions.

I believe we won't see those two sign this summer. It has less to do with them, and more to do with the position the Oilers are in. It's smart for us to squeeze them more right now.

We may see some league min signing for a bottom six right shot center. The only way the player would be interesting would be if they are an older veteran like Toews. But we aren't signing Dumba or Tarasenko or something truly impactful like that. No big trades either
McLeod will be signed in the summer for the simple fact that he likely files for arbitration tomorrow so there will be a deadline in place for him to be signed.

I agree on Bouchard. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it stretch into camp depending if the two parties are far apart.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
McLeod will be signed in the summer for the simple fact that he likely files for arbitration tomorrow so there will be a deadline in place for him to be signed.

I agree on Bouchard. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it stretch into camp depending if the two parties are far apart.
I didn't know about McLeod having arbitration this year so I agree with you on that one.

I'd have to say, I wouldn't blame McLeod. Last season, we had no cash. McLeod had a really good year before then, and was really great in the playoffs and yet he got only a marginal upgrade from a bottom tier salary. I'd think at his stage, every 100k makes a huge difference on his financial outlook.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I won't be surprised if we are waiver wire hunting during preseason at this point..

You gotta think everyone they've targeted as a potential cheap signing is gone at this point.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I didn't know about McLeod having arbitration this year so I agree with you on that one.

I'd have to say, I wouldn't blame McLeod. Last season, we had no cash. McLeod had a really good year before then, and was really great in the playoffs and yet he got only a marginal upgrade from a bottom tier salary. I'd think at his stage, every 100k makes a huge difference on his financial outlook.
Yep, wouldn’t begrudge McLeod at all. It’s his contractual right to apply for arbitration. It was interesting this season seeing some teams not offer qualifying offers to players in order to avoid the risk of arbitration and then turning around and signing them the next day.

Heck, the Devils did it with McLeods brother.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Not sure if serious. Theres a strange lack of looking at attribution in these posts. Bouchard is part of a record PP, but the players like McDrai, Hyman are moving most of those results. Booch and Nuge are essentially good fits on that PP; Remove the primary agents, McDrai and all the rest would change and first unit PP would be indistinguishable from 2nd. Unfortunately in a few years we probably see that occur.

lol as well that Nuge, Hyman contracts extend past the McDrai window. Not sure how many longterms we want to sign like that. Without McDrai its all bust.

edit to edit. sorry. It wasn't clear what you were saying. Not meaning to jump on.
RNH is exponentially more important to the powerplay than hyman

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
So, any rumours/news, or are we just going to sit and talk about Evan Bouchard for the next 10 pages?

Thing is, not really no. Across the entire league really but especially for the Oilers. After getting McLeod and Bouchard signed, Edmonton is pretty much calling it a summer.

Not much else to talk about in here.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
RNH is exponentially more important to the powerplay than hyman
RNH definitely elevated his contribution on PP this season and I felt was more dynamic in exploiting D and making plays. In prior seasons his PP play would sometime erode to just his pat pass back to the point. He was much more imaginative this season and using passing angles creatively and spotting goal chances. So actually agreed. Point taken.

Reactions: Macblender

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I won't be surprised if we are waiver wire hunting during preseason at this point..

You gotta think everyone they've targeted as a potential cheap signing is gone at this point.
I think there are still a number of options for 4C out there.

Nosek
Grant
Stastny
Staal
Toews

Reactions: McDoused

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Bring Patrick Kane in on a PTO, make a preseason trade to sign him if he likes playing with Connor and Leon.

Eazy muthaf***in' E. :D

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Pacific divison:

Vegas: worse
EDM: slightly better
LAK: worse
SEA: slightly worse
CGY: worse
VAN: slightly better
ANA: better, but not better enough to matter
SJS: slightly better, but will be worse after Karlsson trade

Golden opportunity to win the division next year.
How is Vegas worse? Keeping Barbashev was huge for them.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014

Im personally just excited for the “he’s come into camp in the best shape of his life” narrative that we will get from media in September :)

Those always kill me. Like sure. He’s in great shape but his still Ty Rattie

Reactions: RegDunlop
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad