Cowen 1st 2015 for Wayne Simmonds

MacArthur Turris Ryan
Simmonds Kesler Michalek

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
trade Phillups

please Murray

PLEASE :cry:

Honestly. The guy is even getting out muscled for the puck, even though he's one of the bigger defensemen.

Worst part is that you know they are negotiating a crazy inflated contract, with a no trade clause, with a no movement clause all because he has been in Ottawa for 3 years too many.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
Ladd comes with a big price tag.... id think this: Weircioch puemple Stone and a 2nd......
Probably similar for kane......

Id take Ladd over Kane though...

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I would do

Gonchar (50% retained)
for
Gryba, Corvo, JOB, Da Costa.

We ship out two bad deals in Job and Corvo and give the Da Costa, who played in Dallas in high school and Gryba because they want a RHD.

Actual dollars,

Gonchar - 2.5M x (34/82) = $1,036,585
Gryba, Corvo, JOB, Da Costa - 600K + 900K + 650K + 90K x (34/82) = $928,780

We would be increasing the budget for the remainder of the year for $107,805. We shed 2 bad contracts, give a guy that spends most of his time in a press box a chance as well as a guy stuck behind depth in the AHL.

No thanks, that ship has sailed. I would rather have Gryba as the 6/7 guy than Gonch.

So is it time to trade the liabilities yet ?

Philips Spezza Cowen

Philips for late 1st or 2 2nds to playoff time looking for a Vet

Spezza tell him to make a list and find the best deal possible

Cowen I feel bad for this kid he just cant seem to do anything right he looks lost ..Package deal possible

No reason to move any of these guys if we want to make the playoffs and actually do something in them. Even though Phillips is playing below average, he can still be useful.

No reason to trade Spezza either. He is starting to play better. I truly believe all his early year struggles were injury related. He seems to be healthier now.

It would be stupid to give up on Cowen now. We've seen glimpses on what he could be. Especially the last 7 games (minus last night).

All these moves you are suggesting are knee jerk reactions, which historically do not work out.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Right God Says No, because the team wasn't playing amazing before they came back (Spezza, Philips). It was a total change in intensity when those guys went down, and turnovers went from 2-1 to 1-2 us.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
LeBrun: A Dan Girardi extension may be more likely than a Ryan Callahan extension
Callahan is a guy I would target absolutely.

Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch said on Hockey Central that the Rangers wanted Marc Methot and another piece (likely an AHL player) for Michael Del Zotto. The Senators were fine with the other piece, but not with trading Methot.

Glad the team didn't give up Methot.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Right God Says No, because the team wasn't playing amazing before they came back (Spezza, Philips). It was a total change in intensity when those guys went down, and turnovers went from 2-1 to 1-2 us.

I would like to see actual numbers. I don't believe you are correct. Even with Spezza and Phillips in the lineup our turnover numbers are way better than they were at the beginning of the year. They might have increased when they came back, but not as dramatically as you suggest. The team is playing better overall in terms of breakouts and turnovers.

If you are so concerned with turnovers, then you should be suggesting sitting Karlsson. He leads the league in turnovers.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch said on Hockey Central that the Rangers wanted Marc Methot and another piece (likely an AHL player) for Michael Del Zotto. The Senators were fine with the other piece, but not with trading Methot.

Sather: "We want Methot and Hoffman"

BMurr: "OK, Hoffman it is. Shall I send the paperwork over?"

Sather: "Sure, I... wait, what? No, Hoffman AND Methot"

BMurr: "OH, sorry about that. I'll call Bingo and let them know to pull Mike out of practice"

Sather: "And Mark."

BMurr: "Mark who?"

Sather: "Mark Methot"

BMurr: "Methot doesn't play in bingo, why would I pull him from their practice?"

Sather: "No, pull Methot from Ottawa's practice"

BMurr: "Why, is he getting traded?"

... Murray, you sly dog...

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
I would like to see actual numbers. I don't believe you are correct. Even with Spezza and Phillips in the lineup our turnover numbers are way better than they were at the beginning of the year. They might have increased when they came back, but not as dramatically as you suggest. The team is playing better overall in terms of breakouts and turnovers.

If you are so concerned with turnovers, then you should be suggesting sitting Karlsson. He leads the league in turnovers.

No, it has not crept up to the 2-1 that it used to be, but last nights game showed it can creep up to that pretty easily.

As for Karlsson; he is on the only player on this team who I would ever use the "high risk, high reward" scape goat motto, because he isn't 30+ year old veteran who is slow, yet.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Spezza isn't going anywhere. He's been playing very well and improving every game since coming back.

I wouldn't mind trading Cowen as long as it was for something that could help us long term as well. There is a lot of depth in the Ottawa organization on the left side and it's something we could absorb a little easier than some other moves (ie. getting Wiercioch more playing time on the side he should be playing).

If BMac is right and Ottawa is looking for another trade similar to the Bobby Ryan one you're going to be looking at at least one of Cowen or Wiercioch being moved. If you look around the league the guys that could be targetted in this way, at least IMO, are:

Winnipeg: Blake Wheeler, Evander Kane
Edmonton: Jordan Eberle
Carolina: Jeff Skinner
Phoenix: Mikkel Boedker
Nashville: Colin Wilson

Now again some of these are obviously more valuable than others and much less likely to be moved, but they'd all be good in Ottawa and fit really well in the top 6/9 that we have rolling right now.

Since Melnyk doesn't want to spend more money I could see something being packaged with Michalek for Boedker being a realistic possibility given that Michalek has expressed that he enjoys playing with his brother.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
No, it has not crept up to the 2-1 that it used to be, but last nights game showed it can creep up to that pretty easily.

Sure, but it was just one game. Again, I ask you to provide some numbers because I bet you even last nights game wasn't as bad as the beginning of the season in terms of giveaways. You are making knee jerk reaction trades based upon one game, that's the point. The other games Phillips and Spezza were playing since the injuries you seemed ok with.

As for Karlsson; he is on the only player on this team who I would ever use the "high risk, high reward" scape goat motto, because he isn't 30+ year old veteran who is slow, yet.

That's true, but you seem overtly fixated with turnovers. Which don't get me wrong are important, but if you are going to make blanket statements you need to include everyone in that category.

I personally would scale back even further Phillips numbers or sit him in favour of Wier. No need for trading Phillips, nor Spezza and Cowen which would be huge mistakes at this point.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Give always were 9 vs 6 last night for Ottawa. I am fixated with them because they are a very good indicator of who is going to win the game this year for the Sens, as was seen again last night.

I have wanted the team to trade Phillips and Spezza about 2-3 years ago, so they aren't knee jerk reactions to one game. Just an indicator of what could happen when they getting regular minutes.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Just for reference Spezza was 2nd on the team amongst forwards in CF% (67.9%, 19 to 9) last night, (Zack Smith was 19 - 8), had 0 giveaways, 4 shots, 1 hit, 1 assist, was 53% at the dot and had 2 takeaways.

He played a spectacular game.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Just for reference Spezza was 2nd on the team amongst forwards in CF% (67.9%, 19 to 9) last night, (Zack Smith was 19 - 8), had 0 giveaways, 4 shots, 1 hit, 1 assist, was 53% at the dot and had 2 takeaways.

No, he had a good game.

Bobby had 6 hits, 5 shots, a goal and actually came out of it with a +1. That is spectacular.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Im only a few months old on this board and ive realized that stating stats in Spezzas favour just doesn't fly.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
Give always were 9 vs 6 last night for Ottawa. I am fixated with them because they are a very good indicator of who is going to win the game this year for the Sens, as was seen again last night.

I have wanted the team to trade Phillips and Spezza about 2-3 years ago, so they aren't knee jerk reactions to one game. Just an indicator of what could happen when they getting regular minutes.

So glad that you are not hasty and just lack judgment.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
No, he had a good game.

Bobby had 6 hits, 5 shots, a goal and actually came out of it with a +1. That is spectacular.

Ryan plays with Turris and Macarthur, arguably our two best players. Spezza carried colin greening and Stone last night

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Spezza was awesome last night got the come back rolling with that impossible pass

If stone had a bit more finish spezza would be on a point streak

Thought he was better than Ryan

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Ok, so lets break it down. Last night:
- Spezza giveaways: 0
- Phillips giveaways: 0
- Cowen giveaways: 1

Conclusion, the above 3 and giveaways weren't the issue yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad