Proposal: Trade Rumors/Proposals Thread 2013-2014 | Part VIII |

Status
Not open for further replies.

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
I don't know if we are overating ROR here, the guy is for real, every time I have watched him, admittedly not whole lot. All the scouting report comes back so positive about him as a player. Is he worth 6.5 mil a year? Probably not. But wait until the salary cap goes up, and see the money guys will be getting in the next few years...2nd liners will be making 6.5 mil, first liner will get 10 mil+. In fact, you can bet Kane or Toews or both will get 10+, and we will still have Turris at 3.5, Smith at 2, and Zib next contract will be 3-4 I would think..and if ROR is the 1st line centre, then 6.5 - 7 mil is not that far fetched.

Again, we should not keep thinking 6.5 - 7.5 are money for star players only, or there will be a whole lot of salaries would be considered totally nuts or insane by some of you in the coming years..

stev0888

Dec 30, 2009
Kanata
Rather have E kane than ror.

Find a player with raw talent

I'd much rather have a player like ROR over any of Kane, Kadri, or Buff.

Each player can turn a game around with their skills, but none bring a willingness to work and play hard consistently for a full season. ROR has a two way game that translates to winning, and I have a good feeling he'll win a Cup in his career.

I know Buff has a ring, as I'm a huge Hawks fan and liked him while he was in Chicago - I never felt he was a difference maker on the team, more so a valuable complimentary player. I am skeptical about Kadri, Kane, and Buff in that they will never be able to carry a team to the final...

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
what did he say?

It was what he said about his teammate Hamrlik. Basically, Hamrlik wanted the lockout to end, and Cole thought that was being selfish.

Hamerlik said:
We have to push Fehr to the wall to get the deal. Time is against us. We lost a quarter of the season, it is $425 million. Who will give it back to us? Mr. Fehr? There should be voting between players. Four questions – yes or no – then count it. If half of players say let’s play, then they should sign new CBA. If there is no season, he should leave and we will find someone new. Time is our enemy.

Cole said:
For him to come out and say this, it’s the most selfish thing I’ve heard during the lockout. Without a doubt. It’s just disappointing. You’d think the veteran guys are the guys who’d take more pride in what other veteran guys sacrificed in the last lockout, how we all benefited from that as a group. Some guys never played again. That’s … I don’t know, for me, and I’m not over 35 or anything, but being an older player, (expletive), I feel grateful to the guys who gave me the opportunity to earn what I’ve earned in this game. Out of that I feel a responsibility, not entitlement. Maybe that’s just the difference between Hamrlik and me.

http://www.coppernblue.com/2012/11/22/3680146/erik-coles-comments-dont-match-the-nhlpas-actions

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
ROR is a better fit than Kane is.

Turris
ROR
Zibanejad
Smith

Would be a very solid defensive centre depth. Especially if Zibby learns from the other three.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Dennis Wideman is available. He isn't by number 1 option but could be excellent non-expensive pickup.

I'd take him at 5 mil in heart beat. Guy is exactly what we could use on the back end. He's over paid but if we werent an internal cap team he'd be a great addition.

Michalek+Younger assets would be my offer.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
It was what he said about his teammate Hamrlik. Basically, Hamrlik wanted the lockout to end, and Cole thought that was being selfish.

http://www.coppernblue.com/2012/11/22/3680146/erik-coles-comments-dont-match-the-nhlpas-actions

Thank you for posting this before I had to find the links.

In all honesty, Cole barely shut up at all during the entire lockout so it is tough to pick and choose which comments were the most offensive to hockey fans. Along with the Hamrlik comments, Cole threatened to walk away from the Habs because he would not be paid the full value of his contract under the terms of the CBA for the lockout season. Cole was making $4.5 MM at the time.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
How is ror a better fit when it is already pointed out he is going to get paaiiddd.

I can see our centers being spezza Turris Zibby for the foreseeable future and we also have lazar coming up.

Is there a point in bring ror... overpaying.. Then having him play with spezza? Ror will cost just as much as Kane imo and Kane has more pure talent

Also the person with the comment about how they can see ror winning a cup.... I am not even sure what that means

I can see Kane being a star in this league and u need those to win u can teach defense

Also I don't even seen ror or Kane being traded anytime soon. From my understanding ror being traded is just an idea by a random fan here?

Last edited:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Oh man, I am so sorry! I was just posting about the ROR trade potential stuff and I totally missed that you were talking about Wideman. Please accept my sincere apologies.

No problem. Personally i think O'rielly is too expensive for what he's worth. As i said before, I have a problem offering 7mil to a guy who's never scored 20 goals

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
No problem. Personally i think O'rielly is too expensive for what he's worth. As i said before, I have a problem offering 7mil to a guy who's never scored 20 goals

Yeah, I agree that he is too rich for our blood. First off we have to get him, and the Avs are short on quality D. So basically we have to gut our D by removed a key piece just to get a conversation started. We would also likely lose some other quality assets, and I'm not sure ROR is good enough to offset all of those losses.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

To be fair it's pretty much a given that he's going to put up 20 goals this year, and may push for 30 (he's got 16 goals in 43 games this year). It's not unreasonable to think his production could go up if he were given a more offensive role on Spezza's wing or more powerplay time. When you combine that with his elite two-way game and versatility I don't think it makes for a hard choice when asking if you want him on your team.

Will he end up making 7 mil? It's possible and that's a tough bullet to bite for Ottawa, but sometimes you have to pay guys a bit more than they're worth to get them...I'm sure that his monetary price-tag will be factored into his trade value, too.

I hope Ottawa inquires about him, but I think it's not worth getting our hopes up over.

thefatjesus*

Agreed, i love ROR but he would be too expensive for us in both money and players we would lose.. I think the forward Ottawa should go after the most is Wayne Simmonds, he is exactly what Ottawa needs. Milo + Wiercioch (+3rd if the first deal is slightly to low)

Mac-Turris-Ryan
Conacher-Zib-Simmonds
Smith-Spezza-Stone
Greening-Pageau-Neil

thats a team with size grit and skill, exactly what will be needed in the playoffs. And Wideman would be a good pick up, Ottawa should be targeting him and since its Calgary we could push some prospects on them without losing many roster players. Puempel Prince Petersson Hoffman Gryba Corvo are pieces Id be willing to move for him.

Having our D with Wideman and the forward group above would be excellent..not sure if doable

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Wideman
Philips - Ceci

thefatjesus*

Philly is playing better they probably aren't trading Simmonds

Ya I think it would be tough to pry him out, but easier than ROR imo. They have problems on defense, a young puck moving prospect may peak some interest.. and it is Homer so ya never know.

the best part about losing Milo Wier (3rd) and some package of Prince/puempel/pertersson/gryba/corvo/hoffman..ect lol for Simmonds and Wideman is the money would even out. Simmonds + Wideman combined make 7.8 in real dollars this season, Milo and Wier alone make 7.1

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I've been thinking the exact same thing. Another case of over rating players on other teams, and under appreciating the players we have.

Buff, Kane, Kadri NO THANKS we don't need other teams head cases. Buff and Kane just got a coach fired and Kadri's working on it. JUST NO !!!!

Agreed.

While a ton of extra talent on the ice is nice, we can't ignore the personality and attitude of players, either.

Just look at Nash in NY. On paper, it looked like the Rangers won that deal by a landslide. But in reality, they got rid of a glue guy in Dubinsky (and let another glue guy in Prust walk), and replaced it with a lassiez faire, la de da, nonchalant Nash. That killed the locker room of that team.

We have a significant amount of young guys on the roster. Adding a volatile personality into the room could be deadly. A team like Detroit, with a ton of vets, would be more apt to handle and focus guys like that in the proper direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad