Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2018-2019 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Those will be minor considerations.

$ will be first priority. Eugene will have to show a willingness to give market value, including bonus money and NMC. To this point, Melnyk has been unwilling to do so. The tax situation in Ottawa also hurts the Sens chances.

Other factors
Team being a contender
Chance to play with top talent
Chance to play for an organization that is a source of pride, instead of the tire fire here in Ottawa.
Everything you listed will be minor considerations outside of contract offer which was obviously a given from the outset of the conversation.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Everything you listed will be minor considerations outside of contract offer which was obviously a given from the outset of the conversation.

The team being a contender (or a winning team at the very least) is absolutely a factor for both guys.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The team being a contender (or a winning team at the very least) is absolutely a factor for both guys.
So you are talking to them on a regular basis. You are talking 8 year contract, no one can foresee anything beyond a year or two in the league now.

Reactions: Xspyrit

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It's nearly impossible to pick out a consistent contender these days, but what is possible is deducing that if one team isn't able to spend to and beyond the cap like others, they'll be less likely to peak as a contender.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Didn't Hamonic essential demand a trade from NYI to be out west due to family reasons?

He wanted out to be closer to Winnipeg (where his family is I believe). Not much difference going from Ottawa to the Peg than there is from Calgary unless you're driving. I'd assume he wouldn't be.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Anderson requested a trade.
I don't see Ceci wanting to be traded or requesting a trade.
Who else could it have been?

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Anderson requested a trade.
I don't see Ceci wanting to be traded or requesting a trade.
Who else could it have been?

I don't think Ceci wants to be here. Ceci turned down 6 years 4.75M this summer according to Shawn Simpson. While that's a bit below market value for a player being deployed like Ceci, it isn't below it by such a great amount that both sides shouldn't have been able to bridge the gap if there was legitimate mutual interest. For example, a person by the name of Matt Cane has been pretty good at predicting free agent salaries with his methodology. A spreadsheet he released pegged Ceci at 5.07M if he were to sign a contract with a 6 year term. That's only a difference of about 300k in the AAV.

(I'm not saying Ceci excels in his deployment, or that I'd sign him to that contract, only that ON PAPER the Sens offer was below market value for a defender with his deployment and minutes)

Now, Shawn Simpson's source could be wrong, and that contract extension may have never been tabled. Operating under the idea that what Shawn Simpson reported was accurate, along with the Senators going 1 year instead of 2 in arbitration, it makes me think Ceci doesn't want to be here long term.

Reactions: Multigrain

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
no i think he is very comfortable and happy in ottawa.

I think he probably gets tired of all the bashing and ridicule. A fresh start is needed for both parties. Factor in the off ice incidents and it's best for both parties to move on.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Is the coach playing Wideman more because he is spotlighting him for a trade? Unclear which teams are in search of a RHD.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I don't think Ceci wants to be here. Ceci turned down 6 years 4.75M this summer according to Shawn Simpson. While that's a bit below market value for a player being deployed like Ceci, it isn't below it by such a great amount that both sides shouldn't have been able to bridge the gap if there was legitimate mutual interest. For example, a person by the name of Matt Cane has been pretty good at predicting free agent salaries with his methodology. A spreadsheet he released pegged Ceci at 5.07M if he were to sign a contract with a 6 year term. That's only a difference of about 300k in the AAV.

(I'm not saying Ceci excels in his deployment, or that I'd sign him to that contract, only that ON PAPER the Sens offer was below market value for a defender with his deployment and minutes)

Now, Shawn Simpson's source could be wrong, and that contract extension may have never been tabled. Operating under the idea that what Shawn Simpson reported was accurate, along with the Senators going 1 year instead of 2 in arbitration, it makes me think Ceci doesn't want to be here long term.

long before that rumour floated about ceci turning down that offer there was some discussion about ceci and a long term deal. I remember saying at 4.75 or less it's a good deal for the team. a lot of folks here were looking for mid 3s. I still believe anything less than 5 AAV is a decent deal

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Is the coach playing Wideman more because he is spotlighting him for a trade? Unclear which teams are in search of a RHD.

Blues
Canadiens
Sabres
VGK
Blue Jackets
Blackhawks
Wild
Penguins
Islanders
Capitals
Predators
Stars
Flyers

Those were the teams that apparently had scouts or personnel in attendance for yesterday's game.

I don't now enough about each team's situation off hand to know who needs a PP RD, but with Klingberg being out for the next month or so along with their other D-injuries, maybe the Stars make sense as a fit.

I'd hope for a 3rd in exchange for Wideman just because they are probably desperate and NHL veteran RD are rare (even subpar ones), but I'd probably expect a 4th or 5th.

Roope Hintz was a name thrown into the Karlsson trade from Dallas. He didn't stick with their team this year. 2nd round pick 3.5 years ago, turns 22 years old tomorrow. Maybe if they are really in a tough spot, we manage to get Hintz for Wideman. (I doubt it, but who knows...)

Reactions: Panic at the Back

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
long before that rumour floated about ceci turning down that offer there was some discussion about ceci and a long term deal. I remember saying at 4.75 or less it's a good deal for the team. a lot of folks here were looking for mid 3s. I still believe anything less than 5 AAV is a decent deal

I'd be surprised if anybody thought he'd sign for 3M, I could see people saying "I'd only sign him for 3M" .

I don't like Ceci at 4.75M x 6 years on the Senators for a variety of reasons, but I am cognizant of his market value and what he's worth based on his deployment. Me not liking a contract offer isn't an indication of whether or not it's in line with market value.

Minimum wage for a UFA top 4D is in the low 4's nowadays. People need to account for that. Look at how little interest there was in Ian Cole last year via trade, and he still managed to get 4.25M x 3. That's for a guy whose floated around being used as a 4/5 type D and is alright at it. Kulikov got a similar contract as well.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'd be surprised if anybody thought he'd sign for 3M, I could see people saying "I'd only sign him for 3M" .

I don't like Ceci at 4.75M x 6 years on the Senators for a variety of reasons, but I am cognizant of his market value and what he's worth based on his deployment. Me not liking a contract offer isn't an indication of whether or not it's in line with market value.

Minimum wage for a UFA top 4D is in the low 4's nowadays. People need to account for that. Look at how little interest there was in Ian Cole last year via trade, and he still managed to get 4.25M x 3. That's for a guy whose floated around being used as a 4/5 type D and is alright at it. Kulikov got a similar contract as well.

I think it was an issue of people claiming his worth was 3m kind of thing.

appreciate the name you referenced. I'm going to have to look up that guy's work.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Boucher has shattered Cecis confidence.

It'd be better for Ceci to go to another team barring Ottawa giving him a 5 mill contract.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
By trying to make him what he isn't.

Ceci was a promising young dman before Boucher showed up.
Sometimes promising only goes so far though.. If he had the goods we'd see it more often regardless of his deployment. He has had 1000s of opportunities to make plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad