Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2018-2019 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
No one has started a new trade thread since the old one was locked. Hope this is okay.

fn3JYmq.jpg

LATEST ON MATT DUCHENE
“Los Angeles-based agent Pat Brisson has been in Toronto for the last number of days,” indicated McKenzie.

“Not a big surprise. He represents John Tavares, Jake Gardiner, amongst others on the Leafs.

“But what is interesting is that Brisson and Ottawa Senators general manager Pierre Dorion did break bread a little bit today, the obvious point of discussion there - and it’s very, very preliminary - is Matt Duchene’s future.

“He’s an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year. He’s eligible for an extension anytime now, unlike Mark Stone, who can’t get one until January 1.

“The lines of communication are open - nothing more than that at this point.”

(Insider Trading: Dorion, Brisson break bread on Duchene front)

MATT DUCHENE ON THE MEETING

“I told my agent I’m on a need-to-know basis, and he just said they talked and that’s it. That’s all I know and that’s all I want to know right now,” Duchene said following a skate at the Robert Guertin Arena.

“I’m focused on helping this team win day-to-day. My first goal and my first priority, no matter what I’m doing in this league, is hockey. The business side is a big part, but it comes a bit more secondary for me. That’s going to sort itself out. I know that and I’ve got to do what I can day-to-day to help this team win.”

“I’ve said many times I’d love for this to work,” Duchene said. “There’s some elements that have to go into that, but I’ve really enjoyed my time here and we’ll see what the future holds.

“Again, I’m not really thinking about it. My agent and I exchanged one text (Tuesday). That’s it. That’s all it’s right now and that’s where it’s at.”

“I don’t want to have anything hanging over my head that I’m kind of thinking about other than playing hockey, going to the rink and playing for the Ottawa Senators and being the best player I can be for this team,” he said.

“That’s where I’m at right now. It’s going to fall in front of me where whatever happens, happens. At this point, I’m not too worried about it and I’m just focused on helping this team win. We’ll cross the bridge when we get to it.”

Snapshots: Matt Duchene keeping his focus on hockey rather than contract talks

gL5bN87.jpg

LATEST ON MARK STONE
On what the odds of getting Mark Stone and Matt Duchene signed to contract extensions are and whether any progress has been made on those fronts…

“Why don’t we focus on the Flyers tonight? I’ll just avoid that question like any good politician. Let’s talk about Gritty. You know what, obviously these are two players that we want to be part of our long-term success. We’ve done a lot of contracts here. At some point in time, we have to meet. We can’t do that officially until January 1st with Mark Stone and I think Pat Brisson and this organization have a pretty good relationship and when it’s the right time, we’ll sit down and we’ll hammer it out. But, these things don’t get done in a week after the season gets done. There are so many things in the last month or month and a half that have gone on that our attention has gone away from that, but those players know that we’d like to sign them.”

(Pierre Dorion TSN 1200 OCT 12th, Transcribed Via Thoughts in Bold: Senators GM Pierre Dorion on early season...)

DORION CLAIMS THEY WERE "VERY CLOSE" ON A LONG TERM EXTENSION THIS PAST OFF SEASON

“We’ve identified core veteran players that we’d like to keep as part of the rebuild. You just can’t put a bunch of kids in a rebuild or else it’ll be a total failure because a lot of the kids or good prospects can’t just be put in the lineup without a good surrounding cast. So obviously a lot of the pending UFAs, if you look at Stone, Duchene, Dzingel, Wideman or Paajarvi (?), whatever role they might be moving forward, of course we’d like to keep them. I think everyone knew that we had this big task that we had to do in trading Erik Karlsson, but at the same time, we know that we have to keep some veteran guys. We were close on a very long-term contract with Mark Stone. Very close and it didn’t turn out, but we knew that we had from January on until the end of the (season) to try and sign him and that’s what we’re going to try and do.”

(Thoughts in Bold: Dorion Speaks on TSN 1200's TGOR)

LOUIS JEAN OF TVA REPORTS STONE WANTS OUT/STONE REFUTES

“What I’ve been told is Mark Stone does not want to be in Ottawa anymore,” is the Google translate from French to English of what Jean said. “He does not want to play in Ottawa anymore. He is frustrated because he sees the direction the club is going. The team is not able to retain their good players.”

Naturally, Stone was asked about what Jean had to say at Wednesday’s morning skate.

“Who’s that?,” said Stone. “I have never heard of Louis Jean before, so I don’t know where he would find that information out. I love it here. This has been a great month for me. I have enjoyed my previous four years here, and I want to continue to be here, so again, don’t (know) who Louis Jean is, and never once did I ever say that.”
Senators fans jumped all over Jean on social media.

He defended himself by saying: “Stone wants to leave Ottawa because he wants to win. But things could change if the organization stabilizes on and off the rink.”

What I believe is that Jean, a respected veteran in the business, was told what he heard by a credible source. Whether Jean or that source is someone Stone knows is insignificant. The hockey world is a small place. Word travels.

(Senators' Stone dismisses speculation about his future)

OTHER PLAYERS
-No news yet on an extension for Ryan Dzingel. Dzingel will become a UFA at the end of the season and is eligible to sign an extension any time.
-Shawn Simpson tweeted that Ceci "reportedly" turned down a 6 year 4.75M AAV (28.5M) contract prior to going to arbitration with the Senators. That contract would have bought up 4 UFA years. Ceci signed a 1 year deal in arbitration and will be an RFA at the end of the season.
-Via Bob McKenzie there may have been interest in a team giving up an asset for Zack Smith prior to him being waived, but the Senators would have had to make some salary considerations.
-David Pagnotta on twitter has implied that Smith being waived wasn't Dorion's choice, make of that what you will.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Vegas re-ups Schmidt. Nearly 6 million per season for 6 season. The salary cap could rise as high as 83 million for the 19-20 season.

27 years old

Played about 22 minutes a game/18 minutes at even strength. About 53 percent d-zone starts. All highest on Vegas amongst full time defenders (although a big chunk of their defenders were close in minutes/deployment).

37 points last season, 27 at even strength.

The Senators apparently offered Ceci 4.75M x 6 years, which Ceci rejected.

Is this a relative comparable for Ceci and the Senators? Is this a positive or a negative for Ceci as a trade chip if it goes down that route? Is there a team out there that signs Ceci to a 6 x 6 extension? Ceci has one more year of arbitration eligible team control after this season.

Last edited:

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Schmidt is much better than Ceci. Both offensively and defensively.

Dorion can’t be trusted as a GM. Offering Ceci a 6 year long deal is a crime.

Reactions: Icelevel

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
They offered almost 5 million for a #4d?

How is it that we're the cheapest team until it comes to signing depth players to inflated contracts.

Greening, Cowen, Smith, Boro, Burrows, Thompson etc

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

How is it that we're the cheapest team until it comes to signing depth players to inflated contracts.

this has always sbeen the confusing part... we cheap out on stars, but will overpay to keep out 4th line intact. its so f***ing strange. and needs explanation.. if we paid fourth liners and bottom pairing d men like their position suggest, then we would have the money to spend on our stars, and we would barely lose anything.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Is this a relative comparable for Ceci and the Senators? Is this a positive or a negative for Ceci as a trade chip if it goes down that route? Is there a team out there that signs Ceci to a 6 x 6 extension? Ceci has one more year of arbitration eligible team control after this season.

I feel like if Ceci is traded anywhere, he won't have the option of a 6 x 6. He surely missed the boat, but he will definitely get a 2 or 3 year deal making nice money.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
this has always sbeen the confusing part... we cheap out on stars, but will overpay to keep out 4th line intact. its so ****ing strange. and needs explanation.. if we paid fourth liners and bottom pairing d men like their position suggest, then we would have the money to spend on our stars, and we would barely lose anything.

Let's not forget about the beauty of an extension we gave to our backup goalie who hasn't been able to stop a beachball ever since.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Let's not forget about the beauty of an extension we gave to our backup goalie who hasn't been able to stop a beachball ever since.
extremely perplexing I wasn't even aware of it until the start of this season lmao

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Smith isn’t the worst contract, Boro is fair but the others were atrocious.

The org obviously thought of Ceci as a top 3 but my hope is that they come to the realization watching the entire league this season that he isn’t and move him at the TDL.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
Ceci offered 6 year 4.75M AAV (28.5M)

What the fu** Dorion! Thank jesus Ceci said no... kid is stupid to have turned that down.

Doubt he'll ever get an offer like that again... (Dorion: Hold my beer)

Reactions: coladin and branch

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
He'll get it.

Teams are desperate for defencemen these days.

Look at his stats or just watch him, I have a hard time thinking any team would commit to 6 years to a player that has shown he definitely cannot play vs top lines and has limited offensive capabilities.

I can see maybe a team biting on a 1 or 2 year deal but 6? I would be very surprised.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Look at his stats or just watch him, I have a hard time thinking any team would commit to 6 years to a player that has shown he definitely cannot play vs top lines and has limited offensive capabilities.

I can see maybe a team biting on a 1 or 2 year deal but 6? I would be very surprised.
First off Ceci is not that bad. I do not think he will improve here in Ottawa.

I feel that he’ll be a solid top4 somewhere else. Hopefully, Dorion realizes that he needs to move him for the sake of the team and the player. He should net a decent return.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I will honestly be heart broken if Stone is traded away. He is my favourite player to ever wear a Senators sweater.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Remember when we almost traded Ceci for Hall?

#ClassicSens
#thanksEugene

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Some team will look at his minutes and just gamble on him.

I really do think the level of desperation is pretty high.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I will honestly be heart broken if Stone is traded away. He is my favourite player to ever wear a Senators sweater.

Eventually with this team you get used to it, some of us are like 4 and 5 deep with our fav players being turfed and we only have a 25 year history, I too am a big Stone fan but personally cannot see him signing here under the current situation, I do not blame him as I didn't for any of the other departed stars!

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Eventually with this team you get used to it, some of us are like 4 and 5 deep with our fav players being turfed and we only have a 25 year history, I too am a big Stone fan but personally cannot see him signing here under the current situation, I do not blame him as I didn't for any of the other departed stars!

I have never received any inside info regarding the Sens until this year, so don't believe me, but I have heard from people who know Stone personally that he and Cody Ceci both do not want to be here. This seems to line up with stuff like Stone only being extended for a year, not being named captain, etc. and Ceci declining the 6 X 6 offer. The organization is well aware.

I know I will get ripped apart here by 5 or 6 posters, but, for what its worth, my source was bang on with info the day of the Karlsson trade a few hours before the trade went down.

I hope I am wrong, I really do, but the two extensions Ceci and Stone signed lead me to believe that its only a matter of time before they are moved. Hopefully the play of the team and with his leadership role on the team, Mark Stone decides to stay. Don't care really either way if Ceci goes, but I feel like if one goes, the other will want out.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
Some team will look at his minutes and just gamble on him.

I really do think the level of desperation is pretty high.

A 6 year gamble at more than 4.75mill per for a guy who plays alot of minutes but doesnt perform with those minutes? Yeaaaa not every gm is Dorian...

Nate Schmidt who got 36 pts and can actually play defense against top lines only got 5.9 mill so if Ceci thinks he's getting anything close to that I think he will be very disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad