Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2018-2019 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
I have never received any inside info regarding the Sens until this year, so don't believe me, but I have heard from people who know Stone personally that he and Cody Ceci both do not want to be here. This seems to line up with stuff like Stone only being extended for a year, not being named captain, etc. and Ceci declining the 6 X 6 offer. The organization is well aware.

I know I will get ripped apart here by 5 or 6 posters, but, for what its worth, my source was bang on with info the day of the Karlsson trade a few hours before the trade went down.

I hope I am wrong, I really do, but the two extensions Ceci and Stone signed lead me to believe that its only a matter of time before they are moved. Hopefully the play of the team and with his leadership role on the team, Mark Stone decides to stay. Don't care really either way if Ceci goes, but I feel like if one goes, the other will want out.
The reported Ceci offer was 6 x $4.75M. Just fyi...

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I have never received any inside info regarding the Sens until this year, so don't believe me, but I have heard from people who know Stone personally that he and Cody Ceci both do not want to be here. This seems to line up with stuff like Stone only being extended for a year, not being named captain, etc. and Ceci declining the 6 X 6 offer. The organization is well aware.

I know I will get ripped apart here by 5 or 6 posters, but, for what its worth, my source was bang on with info the day of the Karlsson trade a few hours before the trade went down.

I hope I am wrong, I really do, but the two extensions Ceci and Stone signed lead me to believe that its only a matter of time before they are moved. Hopefully the play of the team and with his leadership role on the team, Mark Stone decides to stay. Don't care really either way if Ceci goes, but I feel like if one goes, the other will want out.

As a die hard fan of the team, as of today I would not want to work or play for the Ottawa Senators with Eugene Melnyk as owner, I can certainly understand how someone with less attachement to the team and city could use some critical thinking and any leverage they have to move on to assuredly greener pastures.

Sucks for us but seems to be just the luck of the draw in that unfortunately we really have never had stable ownership in our 25 years of existence. I believe with proper competent ownership we are probably one of the model franchises with multiple cups under our belt...but I digress!

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
#EvenDregerReportedIt

Dreger worded the part about clearing through ownership made it seem like Melnyk was hesitant to add Hall’s $6M cap hit. However, he back-tracked later on Twitter to say that that wasn’t necessarily the case.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

I take all #boardinsiders with a grain of salt, but Ceci not wanting to be here makes perfect sense if he turned down that 4.75M extension.

It was a bit below market value for a player being deployed like Ceci, but when it's considered that it has two RFA years, it isn't hugely far off from that 6*6 all UFA Schmidt extension.

If both sides between Stone and OTT were close and settled for 1 year, there has to be a stumbling block. Teams that are close after being able to negotiate for months after the season have to have a legitimate reason to not have bridged the gap. That tells me that maybe there's some truth to that TVA report and Stone wants to wait and see how things play out. That, or there's a huge stumbling block like lockout bonuses.

Ultimately, I think Dorion is playing with fire here. This process at least with Duchene needs to.be expedited. If he goes down, we could lose him for nothing. I get we can't sign Stone until January 1st, but we can still talk and figure out if he will stay and for what terms. I'm hoping Dorion is putting in the work now lining up trades in case extensions fall through. Every game played with either of them unsigned presents a major risk.

Reactions: gab6511

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017

I remember reading a poster say that he overheard Stone’s parents say last year that things in Ottawa were a shit show (Before the public knew) and Mark was unhappy here.

Reactions: Chezzz

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I remember reading a poster say that he overheard Stone’s parents say last year that things in Ottawa were a **** show (Before the public knew) and Mark was unhappy here.

I remember that too. They were at a Vegas game and Stones parents were directly beneath them. Heard the whole thing, then had a small convo.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Remember when we almost traded Ceci for Hall?

#ClassicSens
#thanksEugene

I’m thinking we should call up the Devils gm and ask for old times sake. I’ll be interested in his reaction. Shock at idiocity or pure laughter

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
If the organization knew stone wanted to leave why would they cut his value to a quarter of what is by signing him to 1 yr rather than trading him as a RFA?

Oh ya pierre dorrion is your gm nvm....

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
If the organization knew stone wanted to leave why would they cut his value to a quarter of what is by signing him to 1 yr rather than trading him as a RFA?

Optics my friend.

This team knew that they were about to be in Public Relations hell with trading a generational talent and they knew they that they still had control over Stone's situation. Imagine if they traded BOTH Karlsson and Stone just one season after reaching the ECF. This way they buy themselves a few months to either change the player's mind or to convince the fanbase that a Mark Stone trade is necessary.

Cue the usual suspects demanding proof.......

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

Value is the same because in either scenario a team only pays full value if Stone agrees to a long term deal with them prior to the trade.

There's very little difference to a team acquiring Stone with a 7 year extension in the summer, or doing it in Jan or Feb.

Just because Stone was an RFA, there'd be no guaranteed extension for a team acquiring him in the summer.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I remember that too. They were at a Vegas game and Stones parents were directly beneath them. Heard the whole thing, then had a small convo.

It was a shit-show in Ottawa last yr & whether that had to do with the EK/Hoffman situation or the team just sucking or the stupid systems the coach constantly forced them to play or because the owner is a dickhead, all remains to be seen or will never be known. The fact of the matter now is that EK & Hoffman are gone, the team is playing better & winning & the environment around the team is greatly improved & they are playing a much better style of hockey, unfortunately the owner & the coach are both still here & could ruin that enthusiasm on this team right now at any time. They could always get rid of the coach & I hope they do, but the owner will be much more difficult to move out, but some are still working on that too.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
It was a ****-show in Ottawa last yr & whether that had to do with the EK/Hoffman situation or the team just sucking or the stupid systems the coach constantly forced them to play or because the owner is a ********, all remains to be seen or will never be known. The fact of the matter now is that EK & Hoffman are gone, the team is playing better & winning & the environment around the team is greatly improved & they are playing a much better style of hockey, unfortunately the owner & the coach are both still here & could ruin that enthusiasm on this team right now at any time. They could always get rid of the coach & I hope they do, but the owner will be much more difficult to move out, but some are still working on that too.

I'm ok with Boucher staying if he continues to coach the way he has so far this year, he's finally shown the willingness to adapt (and give more minutes to younger players) that never happened in his previous coaching gigs and the first two seasons with Ottawa. The powerplay alone looks a million times better.

Reactions: Xspyrit

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
#EvenDregerReportedIt
I know he did. I’m just getting confused on when the media are shills and when they are the authoritative source. It’s hard to keep track, so far I have it like this: if they are saying anything potentially negative about Sens management or current whipping boys then it’s factual and can be used as proof; when it is positive they are shills for the org.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Pretty eye-opening article about bad free agent signings. Lots of notable names too and a strong reminder that the free agent signings a lot of people crave on these boards tend to end up backfiring pretty spectacularly at the end of the day.

https://www.tsn.ca/beleskey-among-10-worst-active-free-agent-signings-1.1197995

I might be wrong but I think pretty much anyone that follows hockey more than the casual fan at this point is aware that July 1rst spending never ends well. It's been that way for over a decade with some exceptions here and there, really nothing new. Nobody is asking the team to sign UFAs we can barely (or simply not) keep our own players at the moment and we also traded for an injured guy to put on IR so that we don't have to pay his salary ....

Oddly enough our more ''recent'' UFA acquisitions have done fairly well. MacArthur and Gonchar come to mind. Corvo was a pretty good one as well. Kovalev was fine still put up 49 pts...

And on the other hand a guy that we let go might be one of the best UFA signings in NHL history. Still to this day Zdeno Chara is playing top pairing in Boston.

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Teams generally retain their stars these days. That's why most UFA contracts end up bad. They are mostly the second tier or older soon to e declining guys who hit the market.

It's why Tavares hitting the market was such a big deal.

Saying UFA contracts turn out bad a lot of the time isn't a real argument to justify our inability to spend. It would be a true argument if we had ownership refusing to spend based on a perception that there are no players worth the almost 20M we could add to our payroll (if we got full LTIR). But that's not the case. The reason we aren't spending is justified by us not having the fan support to justify that kind of payroll.

Reactions: Boud

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Hitting ufa at 26 is much different than hitting ufa at 30+.

Am surprised we offered Ceci that deal and he didn't sign it. I'd move him or re-qualify for another 1 year deal if a trade can't be worked out.

If 6 x 6 is true thats Turris money, not Ceci.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

All part of the web of lies they tangled everyone in during the summer.

Pathetic stuff.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Teams generally retain their stars these days. That's why most UFA contracts end up bad. They are mostly the second tier or older soon to e declining guys who hit the market.

It's why Tavares hitting the market was such a big deal.

Saying UFA contracts turn out bad a lot of the time isn't a real argument to justify our inability to spend. It would be a true argument if we had ownership refusing to spend based on a perception that there are no players worth the almost 20M we could add to our payroll (if we got full LTIR). But that's not the case. The reason we aren't spending is justified by us not having the fan support to justify that kind of payroll.

Absolutely. It might be better that way to be honest who knows what Dorion would do if he had money to spend on free agents. This is a situation where we would not spend the money either way. Like you said even if UFA signings turned out fine most of the time we still wouldn't be spending on them, it's just a good coincidence for Melnyk and management.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
A lot of internal re - signings that backfire as well.

Michalek
Greening
Cowen
Phillips
Borowiecki

Michalek was never a problem. He was a no intensity guy so he never did well in the playoffs but the guy was pretty steady.

He deserves a lot of credit for essentially agreeing to be forced into retirement to help the Sens out. He must be so damn bitter.

Reactions: Xspyrit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad