Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I've been calling this trade since we drafted Brown.

Ott: Duchesne
Col: Brown, 1st 2018, Wideman, Hamburglar as a salary dump.

And in the summer we trade Hoff to get his salary to EK, Turris and Stone and replenish the draft picks.

Ott: 1st 2018
NHL Team that wants the Hoff: Hoffman

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Assuming a hypothetical Duchene trade - If Dorion could somehow sell Sakic on Englund as the "young stud defenceman for the future" going back as part of a package for Duchene (because let's be honest here, Sakic is going to want a blueliners as part of any return he gets), that would be a coup.

I like Englund a lot as a future 2nd pairing guy, but we have a ton of defencemen just like him and it's clearly a position of strength for us. We wouldn't miss him as much as other guys in the prospect pool simply because of the redundancy we have on the left side in our farm system.

I think Sakic wants help now. If Ceci isn't going back, I would guess Claesson would be the guy involved. His profile went up quite a bit after the playoffs, and the Avalanche might see him as a top 4 in the near future rather than Englund who is still a while away.

Purely guessing, I think if Sakic's ask is still something like Ceci+1st+White, we probably are offering Claesson+1st+White. Not sure how they square it up salary wise but keep in mind if Claesson is the real deal, he'll probably make 2M-3M next season.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
LMAO our best goal scorer for the past 3 years is worth more than a measly 1st round pick.

The hell are you smoking.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

And in the summer we trade Hoff to get his salary to EK, Turris and Stone and replenish the draft picks.

I think a lot of people want it to be Brown because he isn't as popular around here as White, but assuming there was truth to the rumoured ask at the deadline, Brown doesn't make sense, it makes sense that COL would want White.

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
If we are seriously pursuing Duchene I pray we don't move a big-name defender.

I'm legitimately excited about the future of this team's defence for the first time in a while.

Unless we're underpaying, I'm concerned (given Sakic's absurd demands).

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Trading for Duchene would be so stupid

With the way our budget situation is shaping up, looks like we'd have to choose to re-sign either Duchene or Turris, not both. If we were to trade major assets for Duchene I'd have to assume he'd be the guy we re-sign.

So basically we'd be paying a big price to rent Duchene for a year, as after Turris leaves on July 1, Duchene takes his spot, which leaves us relatively unchanged, as Turris is about the same quality of a player as Duchene.

A Duchene trade is definitely not necessary.

I agree, but maybe there exists the possibility that we see Duchene as a temporary center and a permanent winger? We've done crazier things, and with Boucher talking recently about how his system relies more on positional fluidity, it could be related.

Regardless, future salary commitments are the main stumbling block, like you said.

To be honest, I don't see any way Eugene takes on Duchene's contract unless we also get rid of Phaneuf's contract in the same or a separate deal.

I can't see Phaneuf waiving his NTC to go to a rebuilding team. It would have to be a separate deal, and this isn't the time of year most GMs want to add $7mil+ in salary. For the most part, rosters are set and teams are more focused on seeing if their prospects can fill the holes they have.

If we want to trade Phaneuf, I think the next realistic trade window would be after Christmas, when teams have a break in the schedule and might use it as a benchmark point in the season to re-evaluate where they are and add pieces for the 2nd half of the season.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
I agree, but maybe there exists the possibility that we see Duchene as a temporary center and a permanent winger? We've done crazier things, and with Boucher talking recently about how his system relies more on positional fluidity, it could be related.

Regardless, future salary commitments are the main stumbling block, like you said.

I can't see Phaneuf waiving his NTC to go to a rebuilding team. It would have to be a separate deal, and this isn't the time of year most GMs want to add $7mil+ in salary. For the most part, rosters are set and teams are more focused on seeing if their prospects can fill the holes they have.

If we want to trade Phaneuf, I think the next realistic trade window would be after Christmas, when teams have a break in the schedule and might use it as a benchmark point in the season to re-evaluate where they are and add pieces for the 2nd half of the season.

Yeah, I really can't see this either. Even if he was to be promised a bigger role.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Call me crazy but I would literally rather have Hoffman that Duchesne even if it were straight up. Lets just avoid this entire scenario.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Fair enough.

Look at the names we are mentioning...

Dominic Moore
Ben Smith

Josh Leivo
Blake Comeau
Riley Sheahan

Are these guys we want in our lineup everyday?? Too bad we didn't resign Stalberg..

These guys are gap fillers that can come in as a depth C/W ... cheap contracts that could be available for someone like Wideman... trading Wideman makes sense to me to open room for one of the young guys , Chabot or Jaros.

Loosing White ,, hurts our depth a little... A guy like Moore could come in and play 3C as a fill in while Brassard is out and can offer some depth on the bottom 6 when Brassard is back... none of these names were mentioned as impact players.... they are depth players. Other than being cheap bottom 6ers they are UFAs at the end of the year so there is no term commitment to interfere with signing Turris and Stone and extending EK.

Apples and Oranges trading Ceci vs Wideman and trying to acquire an impact player like Duchene ,,, vs a gap filler like one of the above

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
No to Duchene. Go for Tavares.

There's been no indication at all that Tavares would be available.

Conversely, there has been plenty of noise about Duchene's situation going into training camp. If Sakic thinks that the issue has now become untenable and really thinks Duchene should move before the season starts, this may now be an opportune time to get Duchene for a significantly lower price than previously.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

It's possible the team likes him more as a winger long-term, but if we re-sign him then we'd have like 25M locked up in 4 wingers - Duchene, Stone, Ryan and Hoffman - which isn't smart cap management by a budget team. Budget teams should allocate their big money contracts towards top 4 defensemen, a good #1 goalie and a strong 1-2 up the middle.

I'm strongly against any kind of Duchene deal, short of an absolute steal.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
It's possible the team likes him more as a winger long-term, but if we re-sign him then we'd have like 25M locked up in 4 wingers - Duchene, Stone, Ryan and Hoffman - which isn't smart cap management by a budget team. Budget teams should allocate their big money contracts towards top 4 defensemen, a good #1 goalie and a strong 1-2 up the middle.

This is exactly why the trade wouldn't make sense, unless another big contract like Phaneuf is going the other way. Even then...

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If Mac gets LTIRed ... Filppula would be a good depth piece to acquire ,,, He fits the bill for adding C depth, He's a UFA at the end of the year ... Not sure they'd want Wideman or Boro though.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Yeah, I agree with all this.

My interest in Duchene is strictly hypothetical. In realistic terms, it's probably a bad idea.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I have a feeling that Duchene isn't going to get traded until Sakic gets fired (about a month before he trade deadline), then the new GM will deal him on the cheap just to be rid of the circus surrounding the situation.

Just a hunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad