Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
All valid points. I just don't think that highly of Cody Ceci.

Just in defence of your first point. At the beginning of last season, WE ALSO, did not have someone to fill that role. Cody Ceci was forced into that role and the fanbase is pretty split on whether or not he succeeded. Is it possible that someone else plays that role and does as good or better than Ceci did??

I would see Ceci being trade if Jaros would come and show he is able to replace him.
Especially iof he show chemistry with Chabot, which he did, and Chabot is playing the 2nd pair.

But Jaros hasn't prove it yet and probably won't before some year. But it might happened. I think highly of Jaros.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Go listen to Boucher's post-game interview and you have your answer why Ceci is probably going to kept for a long time or at least this season lol.

Boucher absolutely love Ceci. And it seems Dorion see things kinda the same way as Boucher.

I'm not saying he is right or wrong.. Not me to say.. But since it is clear that Dorion is trying to bring player Boucher like and that he love Ceci.. i don't think he will get trade.

When Boucher talk about him.. it look like a special project of his.

Fair enough.

Look at the names we are mentioning...

Dominic Moore
Ben Smith
Josh Leivo
Blake Comeau
Riley Sheahan

Are these guys we want in our lineup everyday?? Too bad we didn't resign Stalberg..

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Fair enough.

Dominic Moore
Ben Smith
Josh Leivo
Blake Comeau
Riley Sheahan

Are these guys we want in our lineup everyday?? Too bad we didn't resign Stalberg..

We are looking for an injury replacement, not a core forward. Getting those guys doesn't mean they're a lock to be in the lineup when everyone is healthy.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
We are looking for an injury replacement, not a core forward. Getting those guys doesn't mean they're a lock to be in the lineup when everyone is healthy.

I would rather use Blunden or DiDomenico if that's the case. Heck, if this team is committed to keeping Logan Brown around for 9 games, that may just be enough time to get Dzingel, Brassard back.

Also, this team could still use a core top 6 forward.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015

I think he isn't suggesting to go bigger then a replacement if we are to make a trade.

If we only want player to feel temporary role, let's put Chlapik, Brown for 9 games max, Etc.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I would rather use Blunden or DiDomenico if that's the case. Heck, if this team is committed to keeping Logan Brown around for 9 games, that may just be enough time to get Dzingel, Brassard back.

Who said they were committed to keeping Brown around for 9 games?

Turris, Brassard, Stone, Hoffman, Ryan, Smith. There's your core top 6.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
All valid points. I just don't think that highly of Cody Ceci.

Just in defence of your first point. At the beginning of last season, WE ALSO, did not have someone to fill that role. Cody Ceci was forced into that role and the fanbase is pretty split on whether or not he succeeded. Is it possible that someone else plays that role and does as good or better than Ceci did??

Saying Ceci was "forced" in the role is a matter of perception. The reality is, we don't have anybody in our system who is both as far along in their development but also has as much NHL experience as Ceci had at the start of the 16-17 season. Ceci was 22.5 at the beginning of last year with over 200 games of NHL experience and in his 5th year since being drafted.

It's also another situation entirely. We didn't take a big risk by trading somebody away on defense and open the spot for an unproven Ceci that way. The spot was already there, and he was the best person for the job. What you're suggesting is that we should trade Ceci away who fills that spot right now, and in turn create a spot without knowing if we can have someone who can fill it. The dynamic is different and I don't really see it as being comparable.

If someone like Claesson or Jaros steps up and proves they can do what Ceci did last year making him redundant, then yeah maybe we can consider trading him. But I don't think it'd be wise for the Senators to trade him in the hopes that somebody could step up the way Ceci did last year when there happened to already be an open spot.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
And if they're not ready for the NHL should they still get put in the lineup regardless?

If Matt O'Connor can play opening night, so can Brown :sarcasm:

I think between the guys we have (Dido, McCormick, Blunden, Randall, Reinhart, Brown, Chlapik + possibly VandeVelde) we should be able to navigate the next few weeks without hurting the team too much, but I also wouldn't be against bringing in a guy who we are confident can fill in for a stretch - especially given the potential redundancies at D. At this point, all the guys mentioned above (other than maybe VandeVelde?) are likely more suited to fill in for 2-3 games at a time, tops.

Blake Comeau, while far from my favourite player, would be a good stabilizing addition (although he might end up being a costly scratch down the road). Fehr too. Both are pretty limited offensive (Fehr much more so at this point) but they are both decent PKers who can play 4th line minutes pretty unremarkably.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Fair enough.

Dominic Moore
Ben Smith
Josh Leivo
Blake Comeau
Riley Sheahan

Some people would say similar things about Wingels or Stalberg if you asked about them last year.

The basic premise is should the team look to move Wideman for a 3rd or 4th liner (most likely upcoming UFA) in order to temporarily improve the depth at forward while these injuries work out.

You're taking talk about a very basic hockey trade and trying to elevate it to a level it doesn't need to be. It'd be like saying last year "I don't get why Dorion traded a 7th for Wingels, we should have just gotten Duchene instead". I get adding another 1st line forward improves our depth by pushing a bunch of guys down, but the two aren't mutually exclusive. They are different situations.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
And if they're not ready for the NHL should they still get put in the lineup regardless?

Well i said etc, si there is other player who can fill in for a short stint since Brassard could be near ready by season start and Dzingle will be ready.

I said Chlapik and Brown because they are bigger prospect in front. But they have to prove they should be the player to be kept of course.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Who said they were committed to keeping Brown around for 9 games?

Turris, Brassard, Stone, Hoffman, Ryan, Smith. There's your core top 6.

Nobody said nothing. I said "IF" they are committed.

Also, that "core top 6" you have presented us with, it sure looks pretty weak. Playoffs aside, did Bobby Ryan look like a top 6 forward last year? Zack Smith? At least Brassard showed flashes, but this team could definitely use some more firepower.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Most recent reports I've seen have both back by or close to the start of the season.

Brassard was pretty candid about aiming for opening night, but thinking he might need a couple practices with full contact before playing in games, and clearance for contact wouldn't occur before the 4 month mark which is right around opening night,

As for Dzingel:

Nobody said nothing. I said "IF" they are committed.

Also, that "core top 6" you have presented us with, it sure looks pretty weak. Playoffs aside, did Bobby Ryan look like a top 6 forward last year? Zack Smith? At least Brassard showed flashes, but this team could definitely use some more firepower.

While Ryan didn't look like a top 6 forward for the reg season last year, he did every other year of his career, and he did for the playoffs. Perhaps you're a little to focused on a 62 game sample, much of which he played through a broken hand and allowing an admittedly poor contract colour your overall impression of him. He is undoubtedly a top 6 talent, just one that happened to have a bad year, and happens to be overpaid. You can certainly make a case that the team would be better off going in a different direction, and that he shouldn't be seen as a core player, but it is a weak position to hold imo that he is not a top 6 quality player.

Brassards another guy that underperformed, but still very much fits the category of top 6 player when you evaluate based on his skill set and past performance. The problem, imo, is that if you use point production as your primary tool for evaluation, you toss aside the context, such as implementing a new system, defensive team mindset, injuries, ect.

I agree we could use more firepower, most teams could, but I don't think it's requirement in terms of personnel. Tweeks to the system could do

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

I think it's more like Dorion is one of the vultures circling hoping to be the first one on the corpse if Sakic panics.

If Sakic's price was already too high, and he hasn't cracked yet, I don't see how a Duchene trade will work. Good on Dorion for trying though.

Claesson+White or Brown+2018 1st with the Avalanche taking back some sort of salary (maybe Mac's LTIR contract if he's officially done) is what I imagine Ottawa might be pitching. I'm not suggesting we should trade Claesson, but COL probably wants an NHL ready D, and he's our most valuable one that we'd realistically move (AKA not Chabot or Jaros).

For reference, the apparent ask at the deadline was White or Chabot+2017 1st+Ceci+"another small piece or two". At the time, our 1st was expected to be in the middle of the draft in the 20th range.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
If we deal for Duchene it would surely take either White or Brown +. I wonder which one the organization is higher on, and who the Avs would prefer. Tough to say but I feel like both teams would be slightly higher on Brown.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
If we deal for Duchene it would surely take either White or Brown +. I wonder which one the organization is higher on, and who the Avs would prefer. Tough to say but I feel like both teams would be slightly higher on Brown.

I'll go with White only because he was the one linked to the ask at the deadline, and I get the perception that the Avalanche want players who can step in and help them now. Brown's stock hasn't gone up since the deadline, so if it is true the Avalanche were asking for White, I don't think that'll change.

I honestly don't know how this ends for Sakic. I wouldn't get my hopes up about us getting Duchene, especially since we're probably not trading Ceci. I don't think Sakic is likely to cave on his demands at this point but I've been wrong before.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Trading for Duchene would be so stupid

With the way our budget situation is shaping up, looks like we'd have to choose to re-sign either Duchene or Turris, not both. If we were to trade major assets for Duchene I'd have to assume he'd be the guy we re-sign.

So basically we'd be paying a big price to rent Duchene for a year, as after Turris leaves on July 1, Duchene takes his spot, which leaves us relatively unchanged, as Turris is about the same quality of a player as Duchene.

A Duchene trade is definitely not necessary.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

With the way our budget situation is shaping up, looks like we'd have to choose to re-sign either Duchene or Turris, not both. If we were to trade major assets for Duchene I'd have to assume he'd be the guy we re-sign.

So basically we'd be paying a big price to rent Duchene for a year, as after Turris leaves on July 1, Duchene takes his spot, which leaves us relatively unchanged, as Turris is about the same quality of a player as Duchene.

Win now. Karlsson is life.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Assuming a hypothetical Duchene trade - If Dorion could somehow sell Sakic on Englund as the "young stud defenceman for the future" going back as part of a package for Duchene (because let's be honest here, Sakic is going to want a blueliners as part of any return he gets), that would be a coup.

I like Englund a lot as a future 2nd pairing guy, but we have a ton of defencemen just like him and it's clearly a position of strength for us. We wouldn't miss him as much as other guys in the prospect pool simply because of the redundancy we have on the left side in our farm system.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

For the most part I agree with this. It would be nice to have a shiny new toy but he's not much of (if any) upgrade on Turris. I'd rather just re-sign Turris and save those assets personally.

Stone, Karlsson & Turris need to be figured out before we go committing much else imo.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

I agree with everything you're saying, but there's also a possible situation where we acquire Duchene now, and then recoup some of what we gave up by trading Turris mid season once things stabalize with Brassard and others returning. We're not getting back the same amount we'd end up giving up for Duchene, but it'd help offset it.

Watch this all be a big farce with Boucher and Dorion talking up Ceci only to trade him for Duchene tomorrow. :laugh:

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
To be honest, I don't see any way Eugene takes on Duchene's contract unless we also get rid of Phaneuf's contract in the same or a separate deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad