Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
So what is the plan to replace MacArthur?

In terms of UFA's our options are Jaromir Jagr or Jarome Iginla.

In terms of trades the only players that have some speculation to be available are James Neal, Gabriel Landeskog and Matt Duchene.

We don't really have the players to replace MacArthur internally so do we go the trade route or sign a UFA? Are there others players we could target other than the ones I listed?

I think we've got what we've got at this point. It's going to be a tough year, but we are used to the good one year bad the next routine.

Hope the kids can keep us in the playoff race until EK and Brassard can come back seems like the plan.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
With White going down, and Jaros looking solid, do we see a hockey trade where we move a D for F sooner rather than later?

Including Karlsson, we have 7D on 1 way contracts (Karlsson, Oduya, Phaneuf, Ceci, Boro, Wideman, Claesson). Not related to their 1 way contracts, but any of those 7 would have to be put through waivers to be placed in the AHL. Meaning, we couldn't start Claesson in Binghamton without risking losing him.

Harpur, Chabot, and Jaros might all be knocking at the door and are currently waiver exempt.

In the past, the team has used waivers or more specifically the ability to assign a player to the AHL as a precedent for "breaking ties" between two players who make the team. Whether they'll continue that, we'll have to wait and see but at most they can carry 8D without things getting wacky but 7D is usually more ideal. Karlsson's injury has probably bought the Senators a bit of extra time to figure things out.

Like a lot of other posters, I think Wideman is the odd man out. We saw Ceci get some PP time in the pre-season. Wideman's biggest asset is that he can QB a powerplay. At even strength, at best he is a middle of the road bottom pairing D. I think someone needing a RHD PP QB would be interested in him.

If salary is an issue, we could approach the situation by packaging Hammond with Wideman. With Hammond buried, their combined cap hit would be 1.125M (800k Wideman/325k Hammond buried) but their salary would be 2.3M. If we can find a cap team with a 3rd liner making something in that range that we like, we could trade the two of them in a package deal. It would create a situation where the cap team gets a player they want and lowers their cap, we get a player we want and either lower or don't add salary.

Any suggestions who we should be looking at going after that might reasonably be available via trade?

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
With White going down, and Jaros looking solid, do we see a hockey trade where we move a D for F sooner rather than later?

Including Karlsson, we have 7D on 1 way contracts (Karlsson, Oduya, Phaneuf, Ceci, Boro, Wideman, Claesson). Not related to their 1 way contracts, but any of those 7 would have to be put through waivers to be placed in the AHL. Meaning, we couldn't start Claesson in Binghamton without risking losing him.

Harpur, Chabot, and Jaros might all be knocking at the door and are currently waiver exempt.

In the past, the team has used waivers or more specifically the ability to assign a player to the AHL as a precedent for "breaking ties" between two players who make the team. Whether they'll continue that, we'll have to wait and see but at most they can carry 8D without things getting wacky but 7D is usually more ideal. Karlsson's injury has probably bought the Senators a bit of extra time to figure things out.

Like a lot of other posters, I think Wideman is the odd man out. We saw Ceci get some PP time in the pre-season. Wideman's biggest asset is that he can QB a powerplay. At even strength, at best he is a middle of the road bottom pairing D. I think someone needing a RHD PP QB would be interested in him.

If salary is an issue, we could approach the situation by packaging Hammond with Wideman. With Hammond buried, their combined cap hit would be 1.125M (800k Wideman/325k Hammond buried) but their salary would be 2.3M. If we can find a cap team with a 3rd liner making something in that range that we like, we could trade the two of them in a package deal. It would create a situation where the cap team gets a player they want and lowers their cap, we get a player we want and either lower or don't add salary.

Any suggestions who we should be looking at going after that might reasonably be available via trade?

I think Comeau and Colborne from Colorado are both options for a deal like that.

Sheahan from Detroit.

Maybe Ennis from Minnesota?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Good post. I think this is definitely something to look at.

The other thing that happens this time.of year is teams put players on waivers because A young guy plays too well to send down and forces them to make a decision. Given Ottawa's current forward situation it could open up trade opportunities as you have suggested.

The leafs actually might be an ideal trade partner here. There d core is real bad and doesn't have much depth and their backup goalie as we saw last night is also terrible while they have very good forward depth. They might have to send Kapanen down due to waivers.

What about a deal around Wideman and Hammond for komarov, brown leipsic, or leivo? I doubt the sens could get brown but would be worth a try.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Good post. I think this is definitely something to look at.

The other thing that happens this time.of year is teams put players on waivers because A young guy plays too well to send down and forces them to make a decision. Given Ottawa's current forward situation it could open up trade opportunities as you have suggested.

The leafs actually might be an ideal trade partner here. There d core is real bad and doesn't have much depth and their backup goalie as we saw last night is also terrible while they have very good forward depth. They might have to send Kapanen down due to waivers.

What about a deal around Wideman and Hammond for komarov, brown or leivo? I doubt the sens could get brown but would be worth a try.

I doubt we could get any of those guys for Wideman and Hammond. Fehr would probably work, though, maybe with a bit of salary retention.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I had posted this in the training camp thread .. earlier
I could see them targeting a bottom 6er who is cheap or a UFA next year for Wideman

e.g. guys like Colborne or Comeau from Colorado.. who need D help.. I know they are nothing to get excited about
Hudler might be inexpensive
Iginla could be ok, I think he'd be over 3

Colin Wilson has 2 years left at basically 4m per... he cost Colorado a 4th in 2019 i think. 35-40 pt player

I think the term is a factor .. if they are 3 +... I'd like them to target an up coming UFA or a current UFA and keep the term to 1 year

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I had posted this in the training camp thread .. earlier

I think the term is a factor .. if they are 3 +... I'd like them to target an up coming UFA or a current UFA and keep the term to 1 year

I think Comeau is a solid guess, but not Colborne. Comeau is more of a known quantity at this point, where as Colborne has a higher ceiling but is inconsistent. I think what the Sens would really would want here if we're on the right track about them moving a D for an F is the equivalent of Wingels last year. Someone they can plug into the bottom 6 as a UFA, and if they walk whatever not much was invested in acquiring them.

Well it's partially that, and partially that I don't think we're gonna get a young guy like a Duclair for Wideman. The Senators really just need a consistent bottom 6 two way guy they can plug in for a year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Maybe, but I don't think the Leafs would do it with Hammond attached. I think you could probably get one of them straight up, but definitely not Brown or Komarov.

Dominic Moore could be someone Boucher would like
Ben Smith ... to a lesser extent

Both cheap, both UFAs at the end of the year; They might actually want Hammond :dunno:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Easy answer here. Its time to move Cody Ceci (IMO its been time for awhile now), he is the player who makes the most sense to move. He would bring back the most value. As a fan, Comeau and Colborne don't do it for me. I would rather see Chlapik or Brown stick if that's the case. Lets go big, move Ceci in a package for Duchene, this needs to happen, our forward depth is looking pretty grim. Ceci needs a new contract next offseason and he is gonna be expensive. As an added bonus, Ceci actually scored a goal. His value may never be this high again.

Cmon Dorion, open your closet, pull our your plaid jacket and pick up your phone!

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Easy answer here. Its time to move Cody Ceci (IMO its been time for awhile now), he is the player who makes the most sense to move. He would bring back the most value. As a fan, Comeau and Colborne don't do it for me. I would rather see Chlapik or Brown stick if that's the case. Lets go big, move Ceci in a package for Duchene, this needs to happen, our forward depth is looking pretty grim. Ceci needs a new contract next offseason and he is gonna be expensive.

Cmon Dorion, open your closet, pull our your plaid jacket and pick up your phone!

No way. Cody scored last night.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Easy answer here. Its time to move Cody Ceci (IMO its been time for awhile now), he is the player who makes the most sense to move. He would bring back the most value. As a fan, Comeau and Colborne don't do it for me. I would rather see Chlapik or Brown stick if that's the case. Lets go big, move Ceci in a package for Duchene, this needs to happen, our forward depth is looking pretty grim. Ceci needs a new contract next offseason and he is gonna be expensive. As an added bonus, Ceci actually scored a goal. His value may never be this high again.

Timing is bad for moving Ceci or Phaneuf. Boro and Wideman the timing is good

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Its time to move Cody Ceci (IMO its been time for awhile now), he is the player who makes the most sense to move. He would bring back the most value.

As much as I want to commend people on this board for pointing out that Ceci has value, I reluctantly should point out that hypothetically, trading Erk Karlsson would bring back the most value.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
As much as I want to commend people on this board for pointing out that Ceci has value, I reluctantly should point out that hypothetically, trading Erk Karlsson would bring back the most value.

Thanks Tips! I will remember that next time!

Cody Ceci will actually return a forward that is not Blake Comeau, Josh Leivo or Joe Colborne. Not sure about you, but IMO, none of those names bring a whole lot to the lineup.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

If you're gonna trade Cody Ceci, you at least wait until next off season so the Senators can get one more cheap season out of him as their #2D (because whether people like it or not, that's what he is at this point).

Trading Ceci right now would be a huge issue considering the assignments he is given. It's much easier to say trade Chris Wideman and hope that Chabot, Claesson, or Jaros can at the very least ply bottom pairing minutes than it is to trade Ceci and hope one of those three can match up against other teams top lines and attempt to shut them down.

Trading Wideman isn't about getting the most value, it's about taking a redundant player and using him to acquire a player in a position where we need help. Given our injuries, that would be our 3rd+4th line.

Colorado wanted Ceci+White+1st for Duchene, not just Ceci. That'd be a horrific trade for the Senators to make right now. Sakic has held out for this long, not a lot has likely changed about Ceci's value between the 2017 trade deadline and now, and if Sakic held out for this long, he isnt just gonna cave and do Ceci for Duchene 1 for 1.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Timing is bad for moving Ceci or Phaneuf. Boro and Wideman the timing is good

Just out of curiosity, why is the timing so bad? I guess it all depends on how you view Ceci. With Karlsson out, does Cody Ceci immediately become our most important defenceman? If you think he is irreplaceable, then absolutely the timing is bad. If you are like me (and many others) and think Ceci is definitely replaceable, now is a good time to improve your top 6.

I get that we want a good mix of vets in the lineup, but having Phaneuf, Boro, EK, Oduya, should be more than enough.

If it's the "he plays tough minutes" argument, we then, we may as well go back to the whole Cody Ceci debate. The question becomes, can someone else do as good (or bad) of a job than Ceci did last year?

Last edited:

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Easy answer here. Its time to move Cody Ceci (IMO its been time for awhile now), he is the player who makes the most sense to move.

He makes zero sense to move. Until Karlsson returns he's the only right-handed blueliner on the team that has proven he can handle a top 4 role. This is probably the worst possible time to move him.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Thanks Tips! I will remember that next time!

Cody Ceci will actually return a forward that is not Blake Comeau, Josh Leivo or Joe Colborne. Not sure about you, but IMO, none of those names bring a whole lot to the lineup.

This.

If your gonna trade a bottom pairing dman to bring a bottom 6 forward then you might as well give that spot to one of the kids knocking on the door. And it doesn't help the team's primary need, which is scoring.

It always a gamble, you look to fill a hole but make a hole elsewhere by trading at top 4 dman, but they should roll the dice if it means getting rid of Ceci, there is enough depth in the organization to fill that hole by committee.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Just out of curiosity, why is the timing so bad?

I get that we want a good mix of vets in the lineup, but having Phaneuf, Boro, EK, Oduya, should be more than enough.

-Erik Karlsson is injured

-We don't have anybody capable of taking Ceci's spot playing against other top lines in a shutdown role

-Ceci is on his last cheap RFA year. His trade value will theoretically be similar next off season. Moving Ceci doesn't make our team better right now in most cases so if we are going to trade him why not benefit from his last cheap year, and then get a similar return for him next summer and pass on his raise to somebody else?

-The team (according to Garrioch) is still open to trading Phaneuf. Trading away Ceci completely shuts the door on that. We're probably not in a position where we can deal with losing Ceci let alone both Ceci and Phaneuf. Moving Ceci right now makes it much harder to move Phaneuf if the right deal comes along. Now I don't exactly think we should deal Phaneuf, but if the team is trying to do that, there's no way they move Ceci right now as it'd ruin their ability to pull the trigger on a Phaneuf deal if it comes about.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Just out of curiosity, why is the timing so bad? I guess it all depends on how you view Ceci. With Karlsson out, does Cody Ceci immediately become our most important defenceman? If you think he is irreplaceable, then absolutely the timing is bad. If you are like me (and many others) and think Ceci is definitely replaceable, now is a good time to improve your top 6.

If it's the "he plays tough minutes" argument, we then, we may as well go back to the whole Cody Ceci debate. The question becomes, can someone else do as good (or bad) of a job than Ceci did last year?

Go listen to Boucher's post-game interview and you have your answer why Ceci is probably going to kept for a long time or at least this season lol.

Boucher absolutely love Ceci. And it seems Dorion see things kinda the same way as Boucher.

I'm not saying he is right or wrong.. Not me to say.. But since it is clear that Dorion is trying to bring player Boucher like and that he love Ceci.. i don't think he will get trade.

When Boucher talk about him.. it look like a special project of his.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
-Erik Karlsson is injured

-We don't have anybody capable of taking Ceci's spot playing against other top lines in a shutdown role

-Ceci is on his last cheap RFA year. His trade value will theoretically be similar next off season. Moving Ceci doesn't make our team better right now in most cases so if we are going to trade him why not benefit from his last cheap year, and then get a similar return for him next summer and pass on his raise to somebody else?

-The team (according to Garrioch) is still open to trading Phaneuf. Trading away Ceci completely shuts the door on that. We're probably not in a position where we can deal with losing Ceci let alone both Ceci and Phaneuf. Moving Ceci right now makes it much harder to move Phaneuf if the right deal comes along. Now I don't exactly think we should deal Phaneuf, but if the team is trying to do that, there's no way they move Ceci right now as it'd ruin their ability to pull the trigger on a Phaneuf deal if it comes about.

All valid points. I just don't think that highly of Cody Ceci.

Just in defence of your first point. At the beginning of last season, WE ALSO, did not have someone to fill that role. Cody Ceci was forced into that role and the fanbase is pretty split on whether or not he succeeded. Is it possible that someone else plays that role and does as good or better than Ceci did??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad